rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Exeter away game
jonkarit (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 12:06
I'm not sure that the post about Lindsay wholly refers to yesterday's game, so apologies for the new thread motivated by the choice of Randall as MOM on the official site. Poor choice.

Yes he did have a few sniping runs but they didnt go anywhere. In the second half just before Exeter's second try he punted the ball from the Bristol 22 all of 10 metres. Bristol were lucky to get it back so Randall repeated the tactic and this led directly to pressure on the Bristol line and after a penalty the winning try. he then did it again just before he was taken off. Certainly not my MOM.

The MOM should have gone to whichever 8 forwards were on the field at any time. They were magnificent in tackles, the scrum was pretty solid despite Exeter's 6/7 first tier internationals and only one penalty was given away at the scrum. A couple of lineouts missed - one in a very attacking position but otherwise a very solid performance by the forwards, particularly in tackles.

A word about "Sir". I thought he had a good game. Clear decisions, spoke to players all the time and didnt use the TMO at all!

I was amused by the Exeter supporters all round me complaining about the ref for most of the game without the slightest evidence. Just because Exeter were not allowed by good defence to run riot clearly meant to Exeter's one eyed supporters that the ref was biassed in favour of Bristol.

Anybody not knowing the relative league positions would have been hard pressed to say which was which. Exeter just about deserved to win but Bristol didnt deserve to lose either!

One final point. If the league had been closed so that Bristol were not threatened with relegation they would not have needed to try so hard and we would not have enjoyed such a good game - defensive yes but much to savour.

Re: Exeter away game
AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 12:40
Agree the fact on Randall....you can see the tactic is box kicking shorter to compete, rather than clicking for position, but he is a bit inconsistent. With experience though, I think we have a real good ‘un there.

The game was very patchy, as I think we learnt some tricks from the Jersey game at home last year, and intentionally broke up momentum. Worked a treat, the crowd around me were incredibly frustrated.

As for the crowd, special mention to the gammon in the rear of East Terrace Central, who is on the shortlist for biggest nause endured whilst watching rugby. Congratulations on some of the most tired and obvious Bear cliches, but you probably want to be careful mocking team monikers, when you support a team that appopriates Native American culture for commercial gain. I also enjoyed your classy and gracious “losing bonus points are for losers” on the final whistle.

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 12:55
Wasn't at match yesterday but Mark Hoskins on Radio thought Randall had his best game for Bristol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 13:05 by Prop Joe.

AGS (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 13:10
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
I also enjoyed your classy and gracious “losing bonus points are for losers” on the final whistle.

We were in the standing area between the North and West stands and the Exeter supporters were generally good humoured but clearly frustrated. Only exception was one who shouted "the shite in white" when our team ran out at the start, but our performance shut him up for the rest of the match.

Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 14:50
Glad you enjoyed your day at Sandy Park Alexin Southville.I take your comments mean you wont be visiting us again.

sbu (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 15:07
Disappointing that Bristol attack never ever threatened Exeters try line. Cant win games unless you are capable of scoring tries.

06 January, 2019 15:23
Quote:
Toomanychiefs
Glad you enjoyed your day at Sandy Park Alexin Southville.I take your comments mean you wont be visiting us again.

Far from it - I think Sandy Park is a great day out, and have been there many times both as a Bristol supporter and as a neutral (including the home win versus Sarries in the semi two year ago, which was one of the best atmospheres I have experienced)

One throbber amongst 12,500 isn’t going to put me off returning.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 15:24
Quote:
Toomanychiefs

To be honest I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable being in the same league as a team that does that to Native American culture, it's probably about time something was done as clearly Exeter aren't going to change in spite of being warned by NA representatives. One of those things we could do as supporters of other clubs is not visit Sandy Park, so perhaps you're on to something.

Could you imagine the outcry if affluent white men put on blackface and stereotypically imitated African culture with some "unga buga" chants and stuff? It's pretty much what's happening here, at the very least I'm sure some consulting with NA representatives may result in a more appropriate compromise in the short term.

06 January, 2019 15:54
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
Toomanychiefs

To be honest I am becoming increasingly uncomfortable being in the same league as a team that does that to Native American culture, it's probably about time something was done as clearly Exeter aren't going to change in spite of being warned by NA representatives. One of those things we could do as supporters of other clubs is not visit Sandy Park, so perhaps you're on to something.

Could you imagine the outcry if affluent white men put on blackface and stereotypically imitated African culture with some "unga buga" chants and stuff? It's pretty much what's happening here, at the very least I'm sure some consulting with NA representatives may result in a more appropriate compromise in the short term.

You make a very good point around the African culture...for some reason Native American culture is seen as fair game, even to the extent of the Washington Redskins still retaining their name.

That said, I would be lying if I said it bothers me *that* much - my original point was more that any Chiefs fan throwing stones at the merits of the “Bears” moniker is doing so from the glassiest of houses.

Chiefs (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 16:16
Chief in peace.

I was in the North stand with a good few Bristol supporters, and despite the banter, all good humoured, both sets of fans were in top form. Photos, handshakes and even hugs.

I was one of many Chiefs fans that applauded the Bristol team on their lap.

Well I was feeling the love and thoroughly enjoyed your company.

(Sm128)(Sm128)

ed9988 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 17:08
Been to watch Exeter a few times as I live in Exeter die to work these days and find their fans to be very gracious and good sports. They seem to be getting very unfair stick on this board and I have no idea why.
Their team do push the laws of the game more than any other team in my opinion but I know I wouldn’t be complaining if we were doing so to our advantage.

hooter (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 17:16
Seems they have taken over from sarries in that respect then.

Professor.S (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 20:27
I still have no idea how people can criticise the performances of Randall.

On the Exeter board his performance has been described as 'the best scrum half display seen at Sandy Park'.

The lad has just turned 21 and looks more a complete scrum half than we have had for some years.

Agreed his box-kicking was a little inconsistent but which scrum half in world rugby (Connor Murray excluded) gets it right every single time? Everyone was bashing Uren earlier in the season for the same crime.

My highlight of the game was when Randall forced the Exeter 8 to knock on at the back of the scrum. It was real old-school cheeky scrum-half play.

Each to your own opinion though of course.

Anyway, enough Randall love from me.

Another good team performance and a vitally important 1 point on the board. Incredibly pleased with this set of Prem games and puts us in a good position for Wasps, Quins, Glos and Saints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2019 20:27 by Professor.S.

Rich. (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 20:54
Quote:
Prop Joe
Wasn't at match yesterday but Mark Hoskins on Radio thought Randall had his best game for Bristol

Thank goodness Mark Hoskins was there - the Radio Bristol commenator (was it Damien Derrick?) rarely commentated on what was happening at all and it needed Mark during breaks to explain what had just happened! There was one particular attacking scrum we had, as an example, and it only when Mark talked about what happened (just before the subsequent lineout) that I realised the scrum had actually been completed and Bristol's attack got very near the tryline! Maybe he's new but it was so very amateur unfortunately. If it had been on TV fine but radio relies on the commentator saying what is happening!

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 21:23
I watched the game on the web and thought Randall was well worth his MoM. Good pace, sniping runs kept the defence guessing and a generally competitive box kicking game. Followed on from a cracking game against newc last week too

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
06 January, 2019 22:41
Quote:
Standardprocedure
I watched the game on the web and thought Randall was well worth his MoM. Good pace, sniping runs kept the defence guessing and a generally competitive box kicking game. Followed on from a cracking game against newc last week too

Agreed, Randall's best performance for us so far. It was very good all round coupled with Morahan fielding his box kicks superbly. With Uren and Randall we have two amazingly talented young 9s which cover all the bases, we don't need to sign any as they're only going to get better in the years to come. Priority should be hanging on to them, same with Sheedy who seems freely interchangeable with Madigan who is an international 10 no less! Retaining our talent will be key to realising our dreams of becoming premiership and European champions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net