Untitled Document

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Drunken thoughts on today....
Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
13 April, 2019 23:17
1 BLOODY MASSIVE RESULT! WAHOOOO
2 All big signings class - Luatua, Harry, Afoa, Vui- class
3 We have a Plan B! Weíre not great at it yet but plan B!
4 Knock on for their second try surely?
5 Tom Pincus isnít very quick any more?
6 Protheroe has weaknesses but what a break!
7 Loved the Booing of Vunipola- and raining men! Ha!
8 Didnít like the booing of kicks at goal
9 I was critical after last week. Iím an idiot. Pat Lam is god.
10 Iím off for another Thatchers.

I bloody love Bristol Rugby / Bears!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2019 00:17 by Cunning Stunts.

Re: Drunken thoughts on today....
Bris Kev (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 06:41
I love everything about this! I hope the recovery is even sweeter this morning. Well done Bristol! Go Bears

Graham_U (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 10:16
I think Bedlow deserves a massive congratulation. Fantastic debut, did all that we could ask and his big boot added another element to our play.

People have been saying our squad is depth is not good enough, particularly in the backs, but that proved that give them a decent game plan and some leadership from 9/10 and our back up back 5 can perform at this level, and I think you could see the belief and confidence grow as the game went on.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 12:38
Cunnings Stunts.

I hope you soon recover from an evidently enjoyable weekend.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 12:45
Whilst I didn't join in with (8) I confess to enjoying it, clearly it didn't put off Goode who nailed the kick but it did add to the atmosphere. Sarries supporters weren't quiet for ours either and that's fine. French clubs have no problem with this and in my opinion generate some of the best atmospheres in rugby (we don't do too bad sometimes and I enjoy the shed also) so I hope we can emulate some of that here.

As long as we don't go down the abuse route I would say it's definitely within the "values of rugby".

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 12:46
Oh and think I'm still feeling the cider too, was worth it!

14 April, 2019 15:08
Wow. Don't remember this thread much but my spelling is impeccable! God bless auto-correct! I stand by all of it though! I should have added Bedlow's excellent debut and how I prefer Uren to start and Randall to finish.

Pincus wasn't poor but at one point the ball popped out of a ruck straight to him and his pace was average- he kicked ahead and still was outrun by 2 defenders. He's solid but thought he looked much more dangerous for Jersey.

I don't want to focus on negatives though, what a bloomin' brilliant win. Congrats to all involved. Didn't even mention Madigan's kick! Epic but it only squeezed through the posts!

Time for hair o' the dog watching the golf! (Sm42)

buddybill (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 16:32
Which part of booing the kicker comes within the values of rugby which says respect the kicker Rinkadink?

14 April, 2019 16:45
It's weird isn't it. Some sports you make a racket, some you stay silent. It's a part of expanding to new markets and seeking younger fans, they'll always be the more likely to shout and scream- especially in groups like rugby clubs. I don't like it and envy clubs like Munster where it's eerily silent for kicks but I'd prefer to have 15000 fans who are unruly than 4000 fans who behave impeccably.

As I said, I thought it was fine to boo Vunipola so I'm probably a massive hypocrite.

buddybill (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 17:00
The size of the crowd has got nothing to do with crowd behaviour you seem to be writing some contradictory stuff on this thread C S

robtheh (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 17:01
Quote:
buddybill
Which part of booing the kicker comes within the values of rugby which says respect the kicker Rinkadink?

The French, New Zealander, Australian, South African & Argentinian clubs donít shut up for the kicker. I donít believe we hold the status quo upon Rugby Values.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2019 17:02 by robtheh.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 17:20
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
buddybill

The French, New Zealander, Australian, South African & Argentinian clubs donít shut up for the kicker. I donít believe we hold the status quo upon Rugby Values.

Adding to this, would Buddy like to point out the law/rules in the values that says fans should be silent when a player is taking a kick as claimed?

[www.englandrugby.com]

P.S. Not all Bristol Bears fans are English, we're a diverse bunch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2019 17:21 by Rinkadink.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 17:30
Also I think it's nice the values of rugby were definitely on display at the end when Billy V was applauded off the field despite facing the opposite during the match.

I think we should be proud of our collective efforts yesterday. Players definitely enjoyed it and gave them a lift going by social media posts today.

buddiebill (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 21:05
The Tv sceen at Ashton Gate says respect the kicker I thought we were talking about Bristol Bears but feelfree to throw in red herrings to back up your argument. We were not talking about rugby laws but values. Don't think Pat Lam would disagree with what I'm saying.
Our players and fans are diverse nationalities and I'm not sure what point you are making about that fact.Respect is what I'm advocating and I will not be booing the kicker or the opposition and don't believe that adds to the atmosphere one iota.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 21:38
Booing the kicker not for me. Booing Vunipola absolutely fair game.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 22:24
Funny that booing the kicker is a no-no, but rugby values also include being expected to have a post-match beer with someone who has punched you in the head.

Personally I donít boo the kicker, but I donít really care if people do.

Neither am I at all bothered by the booing of Vunipola - as a gesture, it is non-violent and contains no profanity, but sends a loud and clear message out (which has been reported in every article I have read about the game) about how judgemental and divisive public comments are received by the rugby community.

14 April, 2019 23:18
Well this escalated quickly from me being rat-arsed! And check out buddy bill coming in with all the aggression advocating "values of rugby"!

If you read my point correctly, I clearly stated that the likes of Munster have immense respect for the kicker despite massive crowds at Thomond Park. Personally I love this and think the eery silence is really intimidating.

Bristol don't have a huge fanbase though. The years in the Champ have proved that we have roughly 8000 people who will watch us win, lose, rain or shine. The others that have made up our much bigger crowds this season will be more casual Bristol fans or general rugby fans plus loads of people from new markets and also a fair few City fans I imagine. The whole Bears brand was based on accessing new markets and getting kids along etc

Some of these people might not know or care about respecting kickers so I personally think it's fair to suggest that this COULD be a factor. I'm no expert though and come to think of it, I'm not going to lose any sleep about it, it's only shouting. I don't really care.

Strike point 8 from my drunken thought manifesto and then maybe Bill will chill the hell out!!

14 April, 2019 23:38
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
Funny that booing the kicker is a no-no, but rugby values also include being expected to have a post-match beer with someone who has punched you in the head.
Personally I donít boo the kicker, but I donít really care if people do.

Neither am I at all bothered by the booing of Vunipola - as a gesture, it is non-violent and contains no profanity, but sends a loud and clear message out (which has been reported in every article I have read about the game) about how judgemental and divisive public comments are received by the rugby community.
I'm a member of the rugby community and whilst not supporting Folaus views certainly defend his right to voice them and for all those who support reduction of the freedom of speech, expression and thought you'd do well to consider that one day your freedoms in this area may be attacked...no not may, will.
Over the last 30 years our society has become infected by a pernicious agenda to restrict the rights of individuals to speak their minds and frankly I'm sick of being told what I'm allowed to think and say.
Personally I think any adherent to a deity based religious sect is mad, this includes Christians but we shouldn't forget our whole state and monarchy is based upon a link to this nonsense so why are people surprised when the more simple minded take its preachings seriously!
So, it's fine to be gay, you're not going to burn in hell but neither are those who have a different view.

RichyS (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 07:26
This is where there is a issue. Folau has every right to an opinion; however there are two things.
Firstly, he has a right but everyone else also has a right to reply to his abhorant and outdated views and call him up on it and some of the irony in what they both said.
Secondly, and more importantly, he is representing his country, enployed under contract with clauses in their which he has broken. His Aussie contract is also paid for essentially by Quantas airways (who are led by a gay man) . You try going to work today and telling your boss he is going to hell for their sexuality, gender, beliefs etc. Iím pretty sure it wonít go well.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 08:12
Home Rule, the problem with what you say is that there is no absolute right to free speech. Firstly, all the right means is that you aren't prevented from saying what you want in advance, you aren't censored before you say something. However there are, rightly, constraints afterwards. You can't defame someone, incite violence and so on. Folau and Vunipola's rights to free speech have not been restricted (except by their contracts which they probably agreed to abide by specific rules in their public utterances and entered into freely in order to get paid). They are perfectly free to say whatever they like, no matter how stupid or inconsistent. However, they are also free to take the consequences.

And you aren't being told what to think or say. You are free to say and think whatever you like but try to be honest with yourself and accept that if you hold views that have become unacceptable or deprecated you will be called out on it. A bit of pantomime booing seems a fairly mild response to me. Although if we are being consistent perhaps we should have been booing Chris Vui too.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net