rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

The Championship
SparkyBris (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 16:03
Looks like Irish should have it all sewn up this weekend. Ealing are 8 points behind, with 2 games to go. Irish play Richmond and Ealing play Bedford.

In the unlikely event that Richmond win and Irish take 0 points, then they could jump above Hartpury who are at home vs London Scottish. This would mean (assuming Ealing win of course with a BP at Bedford), that it would be all to play for, 1st vs 2nd on the final day of the season!

For once, I'm glad its not us in the mix!

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Re: The Championship
Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 19:46
Fairplay to Ealing for keeping as close as they have after getting stuffed by Irish on Week 1.
While i'm pleased that our Squad have got game time, it must be galling for Richmond that with 4 or 5 games to go, suddenly Hartpury's team became a combined Bristol and Gloucester A side with a lot of their previous regulars dropping to the bench. Batley, Protheroe, Powell, Ehizode and Vellacott have all played for them recently- i'm sure a few more that I've missed as well.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 21:40
All within the rules, Leedshire were bottom then spent money they didn't have on SH imports.

Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 21:57
I never said it was illegal, just a shame for Richmond. I totally understand why it's in Bristol's interest for Hartpury to be in the Champ- really good standard of rugby for fringe players. I know one or 2 of the Hartpury guys though and it must be frustrating to train with the team and then get usurped for the games. That's pro sport though I guess.

AGS (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 23:00
Quote:
Cunning Stunts
I never said it was illegal, just a shame for Richmond. I totally understand why it's in Bristol's interest for Hartpury to be in the Champ- really good standard of rugby for fringe players. I know one or 2 of the Hartpury guys though and it must be frustrating to train with the team and then get usurped for the games. That's pro sport though I guess.

Or they see the positives in getting to train with players from Premiership teams, and being able to stay in the championship for another season

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 07:27
The way Leedshire brought in a new team when they were bottom, probably knowing they wouldn't have the money to honour the contracts next season, has grated with a lot of people. The way Hartpury, presumably within the rules, becomes a combined Bristol/Gloucester 'A' team when they target a particular game also seems against the spirit of the game. The rules were changed when Birmingham and Solihull ensured Coventry were relegated by recruiting a team specifically for the play-offs and these shenanigans look much the same to me.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 08:19
Whilst within the rules,the Hartpury tactic stinks (at least while the Championship is intended to be a meritocracy, as opposed to being primarily a development league - which is a different conversation)

I know there are rules in the Welsh second tier that stop Regional (Scarlets, Blues, etc) players being parachuted in for playoff games - from memory, the player needs to have played at least 5 or 6 matches for the recipient club that season, where they were on the field for at least a whole half.

Some variant on that would seem a fair step for next season and beyond.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net