Latest news:
Untitled Document

Marquee signings
Discussion started by Cotman , 10 May, 2019 15:13
Marquee signings
Cotman 10 May, 2019 15:13
Hi all just wondering if we are up to the limit on marquee players I know Charles P is one not sure on Steven L.

Re: Marquee signings
Knowle Blue 11 May, 2019 06:40
Iím hoping to hear of some significant signings, thereís one or two positions we could do with sone quality players

rambling sid 11 May, 2019 09:20
How do you define a marquee signing?

Gray_Lensman 11 May, 2019 09:28
One who is excluded from the salary cap.

Rich. 11 May, 2019 09:43
If Steven Luatua was a marquee this season and then, due to savings from players like Jack Lam leaving, his salary could be safely included within the normal salary Cap - could we do that so we could bring in a new marquee player on even more money than him to be the 'replacement'/new marquee (i assume we can) or is it more a case that if you sign a player on, say, a 3 year contract as a marquee that they have to stay as one?

BS7 11 May, 2019 12:41
What has impressed and delighted me is that Bristol have made good players great and fringe players good (in terms of Premier league standard).
We also have PL managing the BaBas so could be a surprise there.
Either way, with Pat, the backroom staff and set up, stadium, playing style and standards along with the best fans in the league (I'm biased of course), we are now an attractive proposition for any players looking to enhance their playing aspirations.
Will be there, East (S) Terrace on Saturday, hoping the weather is fair and a great day of rugby.

Graham_U 11 May, 2019 12:50
Rich I think you need to consider that we have already signed/spent big money on Hughes on £500K and Atwood who will also be on a big wedge, so I doubt there is much change from the 3 big money departures of Lam, Pisi, and Smith wages. In Luatua and Piutua we already have two of the highest paid and best performing marquee players in the league, so I don't see this being area we can developed. The other eight leavers are much more low profile and probably wouldn't cover a marguee signing between them.

From listing to Lam on The Scrum, it doesn't sound like we will be bringing much more than a couple of first team squad players, as he plans to run on a smaller squad next season and rely on injury loans as cover as he thinks that worked well this season. Given the injuries we have had this season that seems a risky strategy to me, but hopefully we will continue to see some of the younger hungry members of the squad given more chance.

If we accept that we will be running on a smaller squad then the most desperate need IMHO is for a TH Prop to cover and challenge Afoa. TH Prop is supposed to be the most expensive position on the pitch. We can not expect to get the same amount on minutes out of Afoa next year, and will be lucky at his age if he can continue to perform at that level. So far the other TH signed last year have not progressed as well into Prem level as some of the LH we have, and currently they will need to make a major step to fill that gap.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Rich. 11 May, 2019 14:24
I'm sure you're right Graham - out of interest though, anyone know the answer re (while on same contract) whether a marquee signing can suddenly be designated and non marquee signing?

Since 1888 11 May, 2019 15:23
I think you make your marquee decisions at the end of the season so effectively when the audit is done so you can decide then. Charles P can be designated a marquee for the entirety of his contract but canít be a marquee then non marquee then designated marquee again if that makes sense. So it makes sense to keep Lautua and Piatau as marquees.

Bearing in mind the likes of Sheedy, Uren, OíConnor, Randall will be coming to the end of their current deals in 12/24 months time they will be expecting a hefty increase im sure. Tainton and Lam Iím sure along with some accountancy types will have the next few years mapped out using sensible scenario planning. I hope the upshot of having a smaller squad means more exposure for the likes of Sam Graham and Ioan Lloyd etc. Itís time for the academy to step up and the young Bristolians to show their metal and academy managers to earn their corn over the next few years. Itís going to be interesting to see how that goes!

Rich. 11 May, 2019 16:46
Thanks Since 1888.

Platwell House 11 May, 2019 22:03
I believe that George Smith's legacy will be felt for years! We all mention that Dan Thomas has benefited from his tutorials however James Haskell has said Hardy Thacker is behaving like George Smith. Haven't felt this great about Bristol in years!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net