rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Newcastle saved from relegation, perhaps?
dpw (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 09:45
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

"Such a move would see both London Irish and Newcastle in next year's Premiership meaning all 13 'shareholders' would be in the top flight."

Re: Newcastle saved from relegation, perhaps?
Rich. (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 11:04
I'd always expected this to happen and it will be interesting to see if it comes about.

My main concern over this (there are many positives to this idea) is that however good the top of championship team (team b) is, it would be very hard for them to beat the bottom Premiership team (team A), however bad team A are (within reason) - what I mean by that is if they had played in the same league all year and team A, being so good, would finish the season way above team A, in a playoff situation, where team B have been playing in the championship all year (and team a in the Prem), not having played matches at Prem intensity level will make it very very hard for them suddenly to cope with the intensity the Team A will bring. Also, however good they are and with however much money team B will also struggle to get enough Premiership quality players to join them for the championship season.

So for example I do not think we would have beaten London Irish last year in a 2 leg playoff. Now of course had we known we would also need to get through a play off against bottom Prem we may have been able to recruit even more better players but: (a) the reverse of that is that players like Madigan may not have joined us as they would have been less sure we would get through a playoff against the Premiership team, and (b) that still leaves the problem of not being used to playing at the level of intensity London Irish would have brought.

So if we would not have got through a playoff last season than will any Champ team ever get through a playoff??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 11:05 by Rich..

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 11:49
Playoff to decide promotion and relegation without an automatic equivalent is worse than ring fencing/merit system. It's horrific and I pray it doesn't happen.

Premiership should be expanded to 14 sides and retain automatic promotion/relegation of the top/bottom team. Less matches if we then do away with the silly premiership cup that nobody really cares about so its even better for player welfare and club stability with less fixtures but more meaningful ones and more regular home games. Expansion is key.

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 12:15
Totally agree Rinkadink. Every time expansion is mentioned people automatically add on the word ring fencing and then all the 'unfair' arguments start. There are basically 13 teams in England with the infrastructure, fanbase etc. for Premiership rugby. So why have a league with only 12 teams in. A 14 team premiership(one up one down) will continue to give every other team a chance to achieve their goals, while to a greater extent adding security to the existing premiership clubs ie. you only have to be the 13th best team not the 11th to stay up and to be frank if you finish below an Ealing, Bedford, Pirates then you deserve to go down. It is not idea and it may lead to an annual whippingboys feel but at least every club still has a chance to progress. Also, the Championship should be a genuine contest between evenly funded teams. People will say about player burn out with 4 extra fixtures but all that needs is an agreement between clubs to set a limit on how many appearances a player can make ie.squad management. Not completely idea but I reckon the fairest system that retains the integrity of the leagues.

sunandsea (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 12:56
At the moment the London Irish is a completely different team to the team the will play in the premiership, so they might not win a two leg match, but could be very competitive in the premiership.

Paulie (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 13:26
Personally I'd do away with the Premiership Cup and replace it with a cup competition involving the Premiership and Championship. That way the Championship clubs get to test themselves at the level required. If they start beating Premiership clubs then it increases their chances of winning playoff matches or staying up.

graham t (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 13:27
What would happen in the top team in the Championship did not have the finance, infrastructure etc to become a viable Prem club. That is essentially what happened to L Welsh and it was a disaster for them. I reckon that it would take a club outside of the 13 at least 4-5 years to become viable even if they start to get finances in place soon.

Jonny thomas (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 17:52
Can't help but wonder what would happen if we were bottom

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 18:57
Whilst there is an air of inevitability about changing the way teams are demoted/promoted I do find this subject a little disappointing.

Now, reported by the Daily Mail, a media outlet that never really relies on facts to report anything so lets be careful.

I am left wondering if the tables were turned would there be the same amount of perceived noise about this?

In addition, this is a vey bad time to be discussing this, all 12 teams entered the competition knowing the outcomes and all 14 teams entered the Championship with similar visibility of the outcomes, now suddenly because of geography all this will be changed?

Past "stakeholder" clubs have been relegated without any discussion let alone action so I can only assume this is not the real reason and leads me to believe its all to do with geographic factors.

I realise a change is coming and whatever that is will be forced upon us all, still leave a sour taste ........

Rich. (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 19:51
Apparently the Telegraph is saying that they are only talking about the change coming in 12 months time - so not saving Newcastle this season but saving the team who is bottom of the Prem in 12 months time.

dpw (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 23:04
The Telegraph states.........

"The Premiership may be expanded to 13 clubs from the end of next season in a move that would guarantee newly promoted London Irish at least two years in the top flight.

The proposal, from Premiership Rugby, would mean no club being relegated from the 12-team league to the Championship next season. Newcastle, the relegated side this season, are expected to make a swift return.

The plan will be considered by the Rugby Football Union management board this week. Also up for discussion will be a move to end automatic promotion and relegation from the 2021/22 season by replacing it with a two-legged play-off between the club who finish bottom and the winners of the Championship."

Note; "........no club being relegated from the 12-team league to the Championship next season. Newcastle, the relegated side this season, are expected to make a swift return."

hooter (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 13:58
That's all well and good but what if some billionaire decided to buy a team off super stars to compete with Newcastle next season after all there is no salary cap in the championship.

Rich. (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 14:55
Quote:
hooter
That's all well and good but what if some billionaire decided to buy a team off super stars to compete with Newcastle next season after all there is no salary cap in the championship.

Maybe that needs to be introduced as part of any deal involving the Prem giving the Champ some money as part of an agreement on this. but maybe the cap should be a little higher for existing championship teams compared to those coming down?

hooter (IP Logged)
13 May, 2019 16:10
As far as I aware there is no cap in the championship

Jim H (IP Logged)
14 May, 2019 13:03
Quote:
hooter
As far as I aware there is no cap in the championship

There isn't. But the cost towards the cap is taken as an average across the length of the contract.

So we couldn't pay Luatua 1M for year 1 of his deal, in the Champ, then 10 for year 2 in the prem and only 10 against the cap. So in the scenario above all the stars would need a 1 year deal on loads then a new deal (in the prem) when promoted. But then the side couldn't fit them all in the cap.

So possible but never going to happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net