rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alan Wyn jones
simoitfc (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 06:53
See we are linked to Alan Wyn jones 😱😱😱 out of contract with ospreys. That would be an awesome addition. But with attwood already coming in we would be well stacked in second row unless a few could move on. Wyn jones is quality tho. Watch this space

Re: Alan Wyn jones
Jonny thomas (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 10:13
Not sure he could play in the prem especially for us
He's always over the top at rucks and unless he's quicker than Morahan he's often off side
I feel he'd be penalised out of the game
A few people are banging on about him like I did when we were first linked with big Gav
I hope I'm as wrong now as I was proven right about Gav

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 11:09
A fair bit of discussion on this on the last few pages of the rumours thread.

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 11:20
Quote:
Jonny thomas
Not sure he could play in the prem especially for us
He's always over the top at rucks, and unless he's quicker than Morahan he's often off side
I feel he'd be penalised out of the game
A few people are banging on about him like I did when we were first linked with big Gav
I hope I'm as wrong now as I was proven right about Gav

Hardly a fair comparison. Henson was a reality TV personality/ex-Wales international who was trying to rebuild his career as a rugby player and struggling to get a game in the premiership. AWJ is the current Wales captain who is widely considered to be one of the worlds best tight forwards (although it is evident that you disagree with this assessment).

Similarly, Bristol were an overfunded second-tier side trying to bribe players to play below their level. We are now a relatively stable premiership side who spent most of last season closer to 4th place than 12th. In other words, us signing Henson (and Peel and Ryan Jones) was a bit of a joke, signing AWJ would make sense for both club and player.

The only comparison I can see between the two players is that they are both Welsh.

Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 11:27
Obviously AWJ is far better than Atwood but no way on earth that we'll sign both of them. There are more important areas to strengthen when we've got Atwood, Vui, Holmes, Joyce, Jeffries et al.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 11:55
"Similarly, Bristol were an overfunded second-tier side trying to bribe players to play below their level."

Players like Steven Luatua

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 11:57
Quote:
Big Dave
"Similarly, Bristol were an overfunded second-tier side trying to bribe players to play below their level."
Players like Steven Luatua

Correct, his season playing in the Championship was a dreadful waste of talent. Fortunately, we have developed into a team worthy of players like Luatua, Piutau, Afoa and, if this rumour is true, AJWJ.

Jonny thomas (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 12:48
Timothy you've missed my point .
A lot of people were moaning that Gav wasn't for us nobody wanted him
I said quite the opposite and took a lot of flack for it
I feel I was proven right a few people have been big enough to say so
I don't think Wyn Jones is right for us (reasons already stated) and should we sign him I hope I'm the one that's wrong this time

BS7 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 13:03
Quote:
Jonny thomas
Timothy you've missed my point .
A lot of people were moaning that Gav wasn't for us nobody wanted him
I said quite the opposite and took a lot of flack for it
I feel I was proven right a few people have been big enough to say so
I don't think Wyn Jones is right for us (reasons already stated) and should we sign him I hope I'm the one that's wrong this time

Add me to the list, Gav proved a lot of us wrong and agree AWJ not right for us as we have Atwood coming and are ok at moment. (although if Atwood hadn't signed, think I would welcome AWJ as not biggest fan of Atwood, hope he proves me wrong)

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 13:05
Not being pedantic but his surname is Jones. His first names are Alun Wyn.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 13:46
As I said in other thread, I don't see why we should be looking to sign AWJ when Attwood has just been announced and we have Vui as his international standard partner and plenty of up and coming talent in the likes of Joyce, Jefferies, etc. The only way AWJ signing makes sense is if Attwood's knee injury is even more serious than we initially thought in which case AWJ is a replacement as such. Otherwise agent talk?

JamboBris (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 13:48
AWJ is class and would love to see him here. As much as I'm in favour of us bringing in younger players I don't see how we could turn down someone of his calibre if it is a possibility.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 13:52
Quote:
JamboBris
AWJ is class and would love to see him here. As much as I'm in favour of us bringing in younger players I don't see how we could turn down someone of his calibre if it is a possibility.

Because we could do with a world class centre far more, as an example. We don't have unlimited funds and have a cap too.

Also has to fit with our culture too, not saying that AWJ doesn't but we don't know. Plus some up and coming out of contract players will no doubt want more money, Sheedy, Randall, Uren, Thomas immediately spring to mind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 13:55 by Rinkadink.

Furriner (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 15:25
Quote:
Rinkadink
As I said in other thread, I don't see why we should be looking to sign AWJ when Attwood has just been announced and we have Vui as his international standard partner and plenty of up and coming talent in the likes of Joyce, Jefferies, etc. The only way AWJ signing makes sense is if Attwood's knee injury is even more serious than we initially thought in which case AWJ is a replacement as such. Otherwise agent talk?

I think Holmes is worth a tad more than etc. In my opinion hed be pencilled in before Jefferies or Joyce.

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 16:37
Ed Holmes is certainly very good and I expect him to pip Dave Attwood for the biggest games.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 18:44
Quote:
Furriner
Quote:
Rinkadink

I think Holmes is worth a tad more than etc. In my opinion hed be pencilled in before Jefferies or Joyce.
We could list quite a few from the whole squad, there was no priority (you're attributing that to my words,not me) to the names mentioned just some examples of many hastily typed on a phone. We could rephrase so there are no names at all if it avoids this irrelevant line of discussion? Seems the sensible thing upon reflection.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 20:25
Vui must start. We need him on the pitch, he's better than Holmes and Attwood.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 22:02
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
JamboBris

Because we could do with a world class centre far more, as an example. We don't have unlimited funds and have a cap too.

Also has to fit with our culture too, not saying that AWJ doesn't but we don't know. Plus some up and coming out of contract players will no doubt want more money, Sheedy, Randall, Uren, Thomas immediately spring to mind.

My view was somewhat taking the pessimistic approach regarding 12s. Not aware of many that are yet to be signed up for next year and top quality. If there aren't any top 12s we can get I'd personally rather have AWJ and no 12 than neither of them. In terms of culture, leadership etc he's been on 3 Lions tours, would suggest he's decent to have in camp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2019 08:46 by JamboBris.

Furriner (IP Logged)
11 June, 2019 23:34
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
Furriner
Quote:
Rinkadink

We could list quite a few from the whole squad, there was no priority (you're attributing that to my words,not me) to the names mentioned just some examples of many hastily typed on a phone. We could rephrase so there are no names at all if it avoids this
irrelevant line of discussion? Seems the sensible thing upon reflection.

OK Rinkadink, no slight intended. Simply a point of view. Im happy to accept your way of expressing it is just as relevant.

RJC (IP Logged)
12 June, 2019 15:46
I'd expect AWJ to sign for a Welsh region, this all looks like the Anscombe debacle where our name was banded about and it was also public he was unhappy with the new pay band scheme in Wales.

I think it would be a huge statement if we had AWJ added to the books with the quality and international recognition of Luatua, Piutau, Attwood, Afoa, Hughes & Madigan on our books, along with hugely talented up and coming players like Vui, Holmes, Thomas, Uren, Randall, Sheedy, Morahan, O'Connor, Leiua and Thacker.

In my opinion I hope we keep some of the cap aside to re-sign the majority of the players listed above, and if that costs us the chance to lure AWJ here, then so be it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net