Untitled Document

Bristol Sport purchase or starting up a RL team
Platwell House (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 08:01
Would go and watch? Does it interest anyone? Discuss

Re: Bristol Sport purchase or starting up a RL team
airdog (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 08:52
certainly not me , it could not be based at the Gate as it would mean summer games which would prevent concerts being held as well as pitch upgrades and would see City fans rightly complaining that rugby was taking over "Their" ground .
Also its a boring game with little or no interest in these parts .

Jimeno (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 09:00
Quote:
Platwell House
Would go and watch? Does it interest anyone? Discuss

Is this a general, random question or is there something in the air?

°Vamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

Peter_B (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 09:24
I would probably go to a few games if it was Bristol-based.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Rich. (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 09:51
No, no and thrice no. I know that at Pro level (currently at least!) the seasons of the two codes don't fully overlap but the League season still overlaps a fair bit with the Union one and so why would we want to introduce such a competitor to us??? I also can't see City happy to share the pitch with two rugby teams for all those months when the three season overlap.

I don't know if you are one of them Platwell House but (genuinely) fair play to the league fans who constantly promote their sport on social media and the internet. For an example (and there are constant ones), as a non-royalist I looked up Princess Anne's son Peter on wiki the other day as I was telling someone he played for Scotland at junior rugby (Union) and I was interested to see if he played as a senior anywhere. On wiki it doesn't mention Union or that he played for Scotland at it! It does however say that 'He then went to the University of Exeter and graduated with a degree in sports science. At university, he played for the Exeter University Rugby league team'. Some where there seems to be a Putin-esque group of League fans adding in League references wherever they possibly can. Anyway I suspect you are not one of them PH and as said fair play if you are.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 10:05
No thanks

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 10:32
I believe that Premiership Rugby rules do not allow a club to share a stadium with more than one other club.
So a rugby league side could not use Ashton Gate as there would be some months with three clubs using stadium.
I think that is correct but if someone knows different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2019 11:27 by Cidered Abroad.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 11:48
A league team - Somerset (Vikings I think) play at Hornets ground in Weston. It's only a short walk from where I live and I haven't been to see them yet.

Incidentally their artificial pitch was funded by the RFU - don't know if the league team use that pitch.

°Vamos los osos!
http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=7153

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2019 11:49 by Jimeno.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 12:09
Hell yes I would watch a fully pro Bristol rugby league side, I don't get the occasional hatred you see between both sets of fans and most people I speak to have a preference but will dabble in the other with no problems whatsoever.

Would it pull in the numbers required? I'm not sure, possibly? I would get a season ticket. There was a league side formerly based in Gloucester that was moving to Bristol a couple of years back but that seems to have petered out.

ColinDaniel (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 18:52
I'd go if the location was convenient and it was in the top two tiers - for instance if rumours about the Blue Few building on the Fruit market are true that could be a great place for starting a Saturday evening.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 19:50
I personally would watch it as well. I believe for a normal Super League Club with a salary cap of £1.8 mil need an average attendance of 6000 to break even.

Rugby League is a skilled game, the amount of coaches who have crossed from RL to RU shows that. Only recently Sean Long, a James Haskell kind of guy who has had a successful assistant coaching spell with St Helens has now joined Harlequins.

As for stadium, I would rule out the mem purely because Rovers would say no due to the Bristol Sport connection however in the short term a non league football ground somewhere on the outskirts of Bristol may work.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 20:29
Nope. I don't really enjoy the game to be honest. I LOVE aussie rules though!

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 10:57
Back in the 90s, when live Union was only available on Sky on a Saturday afternoon (when i was playing), I really enjoyed watching League.....that St Helens team (Cunningham, Newlove, Martyn, Prescott, and others) were great to watch.

BrisMark (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 12:09
I would go to watch - I love RL. Me and my dad have an annual trip to Wigan to watch the Warriors play. Canít compare the two codes really - love the technical element of RU but equally love the speed of RL. Itíll be interesting to see what happens with this.

ColinDaniel (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 13:16
Quote:
BrisMark
. Itíll be interesting to see what happens with this.

Nothing. Rugby league have burned their bridges with Bristol Sport over world cup hosting, and who ever was bankrolling the Glos/Oxford merger seems to have run for the hills. Investment seems to be focussed on North America now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net