Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hall to Warriors
Discussion started by Jim H , 05 August, 2019 12:16
Hall to Warriors
Jim H 05 August, 2019 12:16
[www.bristolbearsrugby.com]

As an outsider I do wonder how effective he's been? I can't think of to many academy players that have come through and stayed in the set up under him. Joyce & Uren in the current match 22? Whereas Worcester seem to have been really good at bringing their youth through...

Re: Hall to Warriors
AGS 05 August, 2019 12:30
Best of luck to Mike, but I have to agree with Jim H

ROLLO 05 August, 2019 12:49
If we are honest Bristol do have a smaller catchment area than Warriors which may effect things?
Hill is a Worcester chap and has been with us before.

Rich. 05 August, 2019 12:56
Quote:
ROLLO
If we are honest Bristol do have a smaller catchment area than Warriors which may effect things?
Hill is a Worcester chap and has been with us before.

Not knowing the answer - smaller in what sense, as I assume there'd be more rugby players per 1,000 boys in the Bris catchment area

ROLLO 05 August, 2019 13:10
Rich on area , which I think has been commented on this site on a few occassions.

Hercules Spoons 05 August, 2019 13:44
Perhaps Danny Grewcock may be asked to expand his role at the Academy

EverOptimistic 05 August, 2019 14:02
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Perhaps Danny Grewcock may be asked to expand his role at the Academy

From the offy

Grewcock will be working part-time at the College, splitting his time 50/50 between both Clifton College and the Bristol Bears Rugby Academy, helping to build on the strong relationship that exists between the two.

Pat Lam, Director of Rugby at Bristol Bears Rugby said:ďDanny brings with him a wealth of experience, both as a player and as a coach. Providing a pathway for young players into the Bears is a central focus of our club vision, so itís a positive step to foster this new link with Clifton College and to continue developing our relationship.

Hercules Spoons 05 August, 2019 16:52
That was my point EO, I would think he had some spare capacity there

PJ6 05 August, 2019 17:52
Developing youth is so key I think Lam/Taints will want their own guy there. Someone with longer reach and a better track record of producing world class youngsters.

Pub Singer 06 August, 2019 13:17
If players like Genge & Bradbury look elsewhere, it's not got much to do with the Academy Manager . I've mentioned it a few times but I don't think the academy boys were/are given enough of a chance to develop, eg in the B&I Cup and the Premiership Cup. That's down to Pat Lam. We've not been very good at developing and retaining players in the past and I'm not hopeful that it will change over the next few years.

hooter 06 August, 2019 13:47
No idea why Bradbury left but genge was nothing to do with the club and his training or playing opertunities. It's very difficult to develope academy players when your fitting for promotion and then avoiding relegation the year after. Hopefully this will change as we establish a place in the prem and more opertunities become available for player development.

Pub Singer 06 August, 2019 14:30
It doesnít mean we shouldnít play a younger team in the Premiership Cup. It must be frustrating for academy players to see other clubs giving their academy players more opportunities. Whereís Olly Dawe for example? He was first choice for England U20s two seasons ago.

hooter 06 August, 2019 15:15
Remember where we were 2 seasons ago?

Prop Joe 06 August, 2019 17:09
Sorry but who is Bradbury? Is it a predictivetext/typo and refers to Callum Braley? If so, he was told by the RFU he needed to join a Premiership club if he had international ambitions. It's seems to have been a bit of a struggle for him at Gloucester but the last year he seems to still be in contention there. I honestly can't recall a Bradbury though.

Rinkadink 06 August, 2019 17:24
Quote:
Pub Singer
If players like Genge & Bradbury look elsewhere, it's not got much to do with the Academy Manager . I've mentioned it a few times but I don't think the academy boys were/are given enough of a chance to develop, eg in the B&I Cup and the Premiership Cup. That's down to Pat Lam. We've not been very good at developing and retaining players in the past and I'm not hopeful that it will change over the next few years.

Not sure what you're getting at here with the likes of Sheedy, Uren and co not far off international call ups. I expect we'll see more youngsters coming through in the coming season too, it is a stated aim and seems to be paying off.

Genge left way before Lam and I've no idea who Bradbury is so I'm at a loss as to why Pat is to blame?

Pub Singer 06 August, 2019 18:34
Braley not Bradbury. Iím just pointing out that itís not simply down to the Academy Manager if weíve not been good at developing and retaining players. Opportunities within the senior set up are very important.

EverOptimistic 06 August, 2019 19:49
I dont think your examples are proving your point. I believe Braley was told by the RFU that he needed to be playing Prem rugby to be considered for England honours, hence his move. And Genge's move, we all know, was nothing to do with lack of opportunity at Bris.

Last season Kloska, Graham, Capon, Powell (and probably more) featured for us

Pub Singer 07 August, 2019 13:14
The first two posters were wondering about Mike Hall's effectiveness, as they can't think of too many academy players that have come through and stayed in the set up under him. I'm not sure that it's fair to have that as a measure of effectiveness as there could be other reasons for low retention. Genge and Braley are examples where it's outside of the Academy Manager's influence. Other reasons for the low number in the senior squad include the smaller catchment area that existed up to a few seasons ago and resources/budget.

I think we can measure the "first team" playing time for a lot of academy players in minutes (sometimes nil). To be fair though, from memory, the older academy players (Bedlow and Hawkins) got their chances and they now have senior contracts. This highlights for me the importance of playing academy players at the highest level a club can afford. It's difficult in the Premiership but the Premiership Cup is where I'd like to see more homegrown young players being given their chance to develop.

SparkyBris 07 August, 2019 15:23
I think itís fair to say that our production line from the academy has been good:
Mitch Eadie
Callum Braley
Ellis Genge
Mako Vunipola
Jack Tovey
Andy Uren
Joe Joyce
Ben Glynn
And quite a number of others.... retaining them as first team/squad players has been another thing altogether. Largely to do with the fact that we couldnít offer Premiership Rugby for a number of seasons, and also that until only a few years ago, we couldnít even guarantee the future of the club. How things have moved on. Itís such an exciting time to be associated with this great club and hopefully our production line can really start to pay dividends.

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

inatthebreakdown 08 August, 2019 15:00
[www.rugbypass.com]

Article on percentages of current Prem squads that are "homegrown"...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net