Latest news:
Untitled Document

Sarries salary cap
Discussion started by Albertfromla , 07 August, 2019 17:35
Sarries salary cap
Albertfromla 07 August, 2019 17:35
Reported in the press on Monday “the alleged investigation into Saracens salary cap breach is to be brushed under the carpet once again”
If this is the case does it not open up the possibility that other Prem clubs can adopt the same tactics to do the same?

Re: Sarries salary cap
Siggy89 07 August, 2019 17:42
Yes it does. If Saracens are continually allowed to cheat then other clubs can either choose to play second fiddle in a corrupt league or cheat as well.

Peter D 07 August, 2019 19:59
I understood that other clubs were asking for clarity that Saracens' actions are acceptable so that they can follow suit. Which suggestsqthat that their actions are dubious at best. Ifeverythkng everything were above board the other clubs would be already doing the same thing.

Statesman 08 August, 2019 16:38
There is zero probability that the PRL will legitimise the Saracens schemes - if they do they may as well just scrap the SC.

I would say there is close to zero probability that Saracens will be found guilty of any wrongdoing - clearly not in the interests of the PRL to do so.

So here's the dilemma for the PRL - they need to find a solution that steers some middle ground, that preserves the integrity and reputation of the brand and stops any of this corrupt nonsense ever happening again. I would say that is a very difficult task and why it is taking them so long.

Albertfromla 08 August, 2019 17:06
So. If no action is taken, and another Prem club adopts the same tactics how on earth can PRL punish that club,having let Sarries get away with it, What’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander

Rich. 08 August, 2019 19:34
They will say it's a legal loop hole which they will close so neither Sarries nor anyone else can do it in future - but where that leaves Sarries and their current arrangements is another matter.

Hercules Spoons 08 August, 2019 20:19
There is probably no guaranteed profit and it can be argued that it’s part of their ‘rehabilitation ‘ into the real world after rugby
It’s a very shrewd way of doing business

Statesman 08 August, 2019 20:32
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
There is probably no guaranteed profit and it can be argued that it’s part of their ‘rehabilitation ‘ into the real world after rugby
It’s a very shrewd way of doing business

It's about as 'shrewd' as the way Neil Woodford has managed his open and closed end funds - all totally within the regulations but utterly abhorrent and morally corrupt.

Rinkadink 08 August, 2019 21:03
Where is everyone getting this information from?

Putting "Saracens salary cap" into Google only gets me results from April.

Albertfromla 09 August, 2019 09:50
Rinky It was an investigation started by the Daily Mail some time back, and last Monday the paper
published an up date on the situation stating that some Prem sides were not happy with what seems like another cover up, and we're asking PRL for clarity. The Mail also stated that if Sarries were found in breach of salary cap rules, they could be fined or have points deducted for the coming season. My bett is they will get away with it because of who they are

Hercules Spoons 10 August, 2019 13:10
Statesman: I don't do libel

Rich. 10 August, 2019 16:30
Is this just the Daily Mail creating a (an update) story? From what has been said above it sounds like a very speculative story. They may have asked a couple of people at other clubs "What's happening with it?" and the reply has been "Don't know - I hope it is not swept under the carpet again" and low and behold it leads to a story that gets clicks on their website etc etc.

But as said I suspect it was a legal loophole they used and so, even though most people might feel it's dodgy, to fine Sarries for it would lead to legal action which Sarries would win. So they will have to amend the 'rules' to prevent the use of such schemes in the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 16:31 by Rich..

Platwell House 12 August, 2019 07:22
I agree with many of the statements above, if Sarries are found guilty of SC breach nothing will happen. Rules are rules and you have to be punished for it. I personally think for every £100,000 over the cap you get a one point deduction. Unfortunately it will never happen because of the position of power in the game

Rich. 12 August, 2019 09:43
I think they certainly will be punished if they broke rules - and as I understand it they were only not punished last time because it was clear they would win a court case over it as the rules were not tight enough).

The cost to other teams of the strength of Sarries squad is huge and there's no way the likes of Exeter will sit back and allow Sarries to get away with this IF there is a strong enough legal case to take sanctions against them.

Rinkadink 12 August, 2019 11:22
That's the problem isn't it, will there be a strong enough legal case and how long will it take to reach its conclusion, including appeals and the like which you can bet both sides would do if they lose? What happens in the interim? What would be a suitable punishment? Would it damage the game?

I don't think it is going to make court if Sarries are guilty, it's going to be sorted behind the scenes in private talks.

SimonG19 12 August, 2019 15:03
Quote:
Rinkadink
I don't think it is going to make court if Sarries are guilty, it's going to be sorted behind the scenes in private talks.

And by the payment of a settlement fee to make it all go away like last time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net