Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: Rugby Union vs Rugby League.
rambling sid (IP Logged)
26 September, 2010 10:06
Interesting to hear your comments on the oldest profession. I didn't realise you were so knowledgable.
I must confess my watching of rugby on the screen is very limited these days having neither sky or ESPN. The last time I watched rugby league fairly seriously was a few weeks ago, when to my amazement both sides seemed to be wearing the same strips.Can't remember the game
I shall be going this afternoon with some trepidation as I fear we could be in for a hammering. I hope I'm wrong, and I was at least lucky enough to miss the last home game as I was away.
I personally think it is in our best interests to make sure we come in the top two this season, as from what I can see of things so far this season, there could be two teams in the premiership who are in serious trouble by the end of the season, Newcastle and Leeds. There may be the opportunity for two championship teams to take their place. You never know, stranger things have happened.

Re: Plan C
WilliamBlessing (IP Logged)
08 October, 2010 13:36
I was watching Dings Crusaders versus Old Abanians last Saturday when a spectator from the adjoining Bishopston pitch wandered over. He told me a mass brawl between both sets of players, coaches and supporters totalling about 50 altogether, broke out as Bishopston RFC went into a 13-8 lead over their arch rivals, the slightly "downmarket" Ashley Down Old Boys.

The referree abandoned the game after 55 minutes much to the astonishment of all concerned who now wish to play it again. "It was just a tussle between two spectators and we just broke it up really." said a committee man.

Meanwhile there's no trouble at the mill after all...

The Chairman of Bristol Rugby Club expresses his intention to continue to support the club..but cannot afford to finance a return to the Premiership...

I would suggest that by being prudent and at the same time remaining stable we might benefit from other more flighty ventures crashing to earth. Solvency might be a rather attractive quality to anyone considering whether Bristol might be suitable for an enlarged Premiership.

Anyone looking at the utter dirge like show put on by Newcastle Falons last night in their inaugural game at home to Bourgoin in the Amlin cup must surely wonder how anyone could wish to pay to watch it either on TV or even worse through the gate.

I spent the time watching an excellent documentary on the SKY History channel about the scuttling of the German fleet in Scapa Flow in 1918. When the adverts came on I flicked back to the Falcon's semi second team and to my surprise they had scored three tries and Luke Eves was "man of the match".

As far as a new sugar daddy coming along goes, it would need another boom in share prices or property or such like and that, at the moment, Prudent Dave, (our new Prime Minister) would seem to be ruling that out.

As for Mr Lansdown selling £50,000,000 of his shareholding, one can only begin to imagine how he must be feeling what with having bought a village green to build on without planning permission and the City propping up the Championship with big haired, expensive celebrity, David James, letting in goals left right and centre.

Meanwhile over at The Rec last Friday weekend Bath's very own new owner was looking distinctly queasy as the cameras snooped on him as he sat enthroned in his box overlooking the revolting masses who were spitting venom at their struggling team against a strangely urgent Glos, who not so long ago were enduring similar tongue lashings from their own good fans.

Perhaps those two worthy gentlemen might find running Bristol Rugby Club something of a relief!

Money comes from all sorts of places. Dings Crusaders committee men returned from their trip to Jersey telling of the sumptuous pavilion their hosts had had built for them for a million pounds, paid for by the past owner of Blackburn Rovers, Jack Walker, who made his money in steel.

Old Albanians who narrowly beat Dings, share their gound with Saracens but are funded by Markit, some sort of hedge fund, I believe to the tune of about £50,000.

One thing we must as supporters do, is be grateful to anyone who takes on the running of our club, and showing understanding, if and when, the burden becomes too much, as it must inevitably one day become so.

That way the next in line might be more encouraged to step up to the plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2012 08:59 by WilliamBlessing.

Filton College 18 Ivybridge College 12, 22nd Feb 2012
23 February, 2012 01:10
This was a stirring performance by a young Bristol academy team up against effectively the Exeter Chief's rugby academy. Victory kept alive the hopes of the Bristol team progressing to the playoffs in the AASE league.

Bristol played into the stiff wind in the first half and succeeded in keeping the score down despite persistent attacks by the very large Devonian pack. They engineered a brilliant try through the outstanding running of the fly half, a very gifted Will Thomas.

In the second half Bristol once again played with a combination of flare and determination to win the game, leaving us Bristol supporters confident that the future lies in capable hands indeed.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2012 06:48 by WilliamBlessing.

Re: Filton College 18 Ivybridge College 12, 22nd Feb 2012
chris d (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 13:23
William; re:

"In the second half Bristol once again played with a combination of flare and determination to win the game"

Was it the spectators or the players that were using flares? Either way it doesn't seem very sporting...

Re: Random ramblings from the past.
15 October, 2012 15:52
Looking back. I hope you don't mind. They might interest a few. Your comments, critical especially, are very much appreciated. One tries to entertain and if one doesn't, it's useful to know.

10,199 views since counting came in 15th oct 2012
11,269 views on 30th Nov 2012
11,850 views on 21st Jan 2013

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 21/01/2013 13:14 by WilliamBlessing.

Re: Tales from the Riverbank
28 September, 2013 06:12
So as an almost Golden Summer for cricket lovers draws it's thick purple curtains and one falls exhausted into bed praying to be still alive next Spring when the apple blossom's pink flowers bring joy once again to our weary hearts, the fires are lit, the winter clothing road tested and memories of happy Christmas Dinners, crisp white snow covered fields and glorious clear blue sky's enter into one's thoughts to feed upon during those expected tundras of cold and damp and wet and wind certain in the knowledge we only get through it all with the help of one's friends.....of which I will speak more at a later date...Until then adieu mon braves, the dawn has broken and one must seek the morning air.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2013 06:26 by WilliamBlessing.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing