rugbyunion
Latest News:
messageboard logo

HELP - RYANAIR CANCELLATION ADVICE NEEDED!
SHOUTING SHARK (IP Logged)
10 January, 2009 12:47
I have tried to cancel flights to Shannon (for next Friday night) on-line - I have tried to cancel by phone.

How do I cancel? Anyone help?

Or do I just "Not Turn Up"?

Help!!

Re: HELP - RYANAIR CANCELLATION ADVICE NEEDED!
H's Dad.. (IP Logged)
10 January, 2009 12:51
They don't do cancellations, i tried to last month, not asking for a refund, but just so someone else could help fill the plane, but was told we have no facility to enable you to do that!
Ridiculous waste really, no wonder so many Ryanair planes fly half empty!

10 January, 2009 13:03
Cheers HD - peace of mind restored!!
Pity I had to pay for the new one!!
Anyway - that's life.

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2009 13:04
that got me as well as I was originally flying home Sunday and can't cancel it

emerging shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2009 15:39
Why bother cancelling as you lose the money anyway..

11 January, 2009 11:30
I would want to formally cancel because:-

Courtesy ... to avoid any confusion ... so as not to convenience anyone else ... to be aware of what is expected in the future ... the knowledge that I have undertaken what is expected ... Peace of mind etc.,

Quite a lot of reasons really.

Auntie Angel Shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2009 12:06
shouting shark - I have flights I won't be using but I won't be wasting my money phonong them to tell them as they're really not bothered. If you haven't checked in by the time the gates have closed then they assume you're not travelling anyway. It might be worth checking the taxes included in the cost of your flight(s) as you may be able to claim them back, subject to a £15 fee. Check RYANAIR
and the contact details are RYANAIR ADDRESS

I will be!

Auntie Angel Shark
Commander-in-Chief, Sharks Imperial Bodyguard

© AAS (all posts shall remain property of the writer)

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

11 January, 2009 12:52
I'm with Auntie on this one, Ryanair don't give a stuff about its passengers anyway. AA how does one go about claiming though as it does not tell you on the site? I would hazard a guess that if we do get anything back it will take months

sharkboard sa (IP Logged)
11 January, 2009 12:58
Its even better l wanted to change a name on the booking the cost was £100. In the end a new booking cost £19.99 so guess what...........

And we wonder about waste and carbon charging

11 January, 2009 13:29
Thanks Angel - writing my letter to Ryanair claiming the taxes back now.
Is the claim subject to a £15 administration fee per person, per journey - per booking? Any ideas - as it wasn't just my flights I cannot use - but also the remainder of my party!
The Ryanair website doesn't appear to explain this part of a claim.

scubashark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2009 14:39
i've just tried to claim the taxes back on unused flights ...

i phoned and spoke to someone at ryanair who told me ...

"to claim back the tax on unused flights you will have to write to ryanair in dublin within a month of the flight leaving asking for the refund in taxes ... ryanair will refund the tax less a reasonable administration fee ... oh and there will also be a £24.00 cancellation fee for each seat"
so i need to pay them £96 to get £40 (less admin fee) back ...

thieving barstewards !!!!!!

11 January, 2009 14:40
You know as much as I do from their website but you CAN'T CLAIM BEFORE THE FLIGHT. You have to WRITE IN after the date of your flight.

What do you send them? The info it asks for on the Ryanair Address link above under 'after you have flown' I guess, and a covering letter saying what you want back - taxes. The joy of getting even a fiver back off them, which isn't really their money anyway it's government taxes, would make me happy. I reckon most people just write it off but one of my thoughts for the year is to get back as much money that I can from wherever I can, whether it's through recycling aluminium cans, switching utilities or getting my cash back from Ryanair.

Rather in my pocket than theirs.

Auntie Angel Shark

11 January, 2009 15:02
First Link Above

Quote:
Can I apply for a refund for my unused flight?
All Ryanair fares are fully changeable flight/dates/times/routes and names (up to 4 hours prior to original flight departure) however fares, fees or charges are non-refundable. Government taxes are the only portion of taxes, fees and charges which are refundable. Government tax refunds are subject to an administration fee of just £15, which is half BA's admin fee of £30 and significantly lower than BMI's £25 or Easyjet's £17.50. If the refund amount due to the customer is less than the applicable refund administration charge then no refund will be made. Government tax refund requests must be made within one month from the booked travel date.

Second Link Above

Quote:
After You Have Flown
If you have flown with Ryanair and wish to complain about your experience, then write to us including the following information:

CONFIRMATION NUMBER (e.g. ABC123) - We cannot process complaints without this
Full Flight Details - date/routes
Passenger Names

Please mark for the attention of one of the following departments

For Complaints
Customer Service Department
PO Box 11451
Swords
Co Dublin
Ireland
Fax +353 1 8121676

For EU261 Cancellation and Delay Complaints
EU Passenger Compensation Dept
PO Box 11451
Swords
Co Dublin
Ireland
Fax +353 1 8121676

For Refunds - Cancelled Flights
Ryanair Refunds Dept
PO Box 11451
Swords
Co Dublin
Ireland
Fax +353 1 8121676

Baggage Claims - Damage/Mishandled/Lost
Baggage Claims Department
PO Box 11451
Swords
Co Dublin
Ireland
Fax +353 1 8121671

It is important that you enclose the following with your baggage claim:

Property Irregularity Report (provided by the Airport Baggage Staff, when reporting a baggage claim)
Your flight confirmation number (e.g. ABC123)
Copies of any relevant receipts
Complaints/Claims will only be accepted by mail or fax and preferably written in the English language. Passengers are advised to submit copies only, as original documentation will not be retained or returned.

We will respond to you, as outlined in our Customer Charter and to the email address provided at the time of reservation.

Auntie Angel Shark

11 January, 2009 15:08
All a bit pointless now according to Scuba..

cd2 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2009 16:43
SS. I dont know your circumstances but there is the option of cancelling the Irish flight and rebooking another flight later in the year to somewhere you might wish to go. Thats what I did with my Munster flight and ended up being refunded!!

Breathe.Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.

keyneshark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2009 12:39
Without Prejudice.
THIS WAS THE RESPONSE FROM RYAN AIR,NO LUCK IM AFRAID

Our Ref: ZYYYPT

Following your recent request for a refund of the government taxes paid on your unused Ryanair booking confirmation number ZYYYPT

In accordance with Ryanair's General Conditions of Carriage, we wish to confirm that government tax refunds are subject to a deduction by us of a reasonable administration charge of £15/20EUR.

We also refer you to our General Conditions of Carriage in this regard in particular Article 4.2.1 which states:-

4.2.1 Government taxes imposed in respect of a flight to be operated by us and undertaken by you shall be payable by you at levels prevailing at the time you make your reservation. If you do not travel, you may apply in writing within one month for a full refund subject to a reasonable administration fee.

In this case, the administration fee exceeds the total amount of government taxes paid per passenger, so unfortunately no refund is due in this instance. Please note that all other fees and charges, such as passenger service charge, aviation insurance and handling fees are non refundable, as per our Terms and Conditions of Travel, agreed to at the time of purchase.

Yours sincerely,

Ryanair Customer Services

YOUR CONFIRMATION NUMBER IS: ZYYYPT

ITINERARY/RECEIPT - All times are local.

PASSENGERS

GOING OUT
From London Stansted(STN) to Shannon(SNN) Fri, 16/01/2009 Flight 105 Depart STN at 1300 and arrive SNN at 1425

COMING BACK
From Shannon(SNN) to London Stansted(STN) Sun, 18/01/2009 Flight 108 Depart SNN at 2000 and arrive STN at 2120

IMPORTANT REMINDERS-PLEASE READ
Standard opening of check-in desks is 2 hours prior to scheduled departure.
Ryanair recommends that passengers check in two hours prior to scheduled departure.
Check-in desks close strictly 40 minutes before scheduled departure.
No refund will be made if you do not comply with this check in deadline.
Ryanair operates a priority boarding system which allows you to choose your own seat once you are on board the aircraft (subject to certain exceptions).
When you check in you will be given a numbered boarding card, so the earlier you check in, the earlier you will be normally allowed to board.
We recommend that you should be at the boarding gate at least 30 minutes prior to departure. We reserve the right to cancel your reservation and deny you boarding if you do not present yourself at the boarding gate 20 minutes prior to departure. For travel on a later flight, you will be required to purchase a new ticket at the applicable fare.

DOCUMENTATION
It is the passenger’s personal responsibility to ensure that they have valid documentation which meets the requirements of Ryanair, immigration and other governmental authorities at every destination. Any fines, penalties, payments or expenditures incurred as a result of breach of this requirement shall be paid by or charged to you. In order to ensure compliance Ryanair recommends that you carry your valid passport (and visa if applicable) on all journeys.
All passengers must present valid photo identification at check-in for all flights. The only acceptable forms of photo-ID on Ryanair flights are:
A valid passport
A valid Government issued National Identity Card issued by a European Economic Area (EEA) country. Only the following countries from the EEA issue National Identity Cards which are acceptable for carriage: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia,
Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland.
A valid European Economic Area (EEA) driving licence with photo presented by an EEA national is only acceptable for travel on internal flights within the UK, internal flights within Italy and UK-Republic of Ireland-UK routes.
N.B. Children under 16 years (including infants) travelling with an adult are required to have photo-ID when travelling on flights between European Economic Area (EEA) countries. Acceptable photo-ID for children under 16 is either a valid passport or a valid National Identity Card issued by an EEA country.
Photo-ID for children under 16 years is not required in the following circumstances:
Children travelling with an adult on internal flights within the UK, internal flights within Italy and UK-Republic of Ireland-UK routes.
Children included on the passport of the parent with whom they are travelling German children under 10 in possession of a valid German Government Kinderausweis travel document.
In accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, a valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document issued by a Government in place of a valid passport is acceptable.
Expired or damaged forms of photo-ID will not be accepted for any flight. Failure to present valid photo-ID matching the names on your reservation will result in your being refused check-in.

AIR CARRIER LIABILITY FOR PASSENGERS AND THEIR BAGGAGE For information summarising the liability rules applied by Community air carriers as required by Community legislation and the Montreal Convention 1999,please click here. Ryanair is specifically obliged to advise you that:
there are no financial limits to our liability for death or bodily injury sustained in the course of carriage by air with ourselves except that for damages above 100,000 SDRs (approximately £82,000
/€125,000) we can defend ourselves against a claim by proving we were not negligent or otherwise at fault in the case of destruction, loss of or damage to baggage, liability is limited to 1,000 SDRs (approximately £820/€1,250) per passenger.
If the value of your baggage is greater than this limit, you should inform us at check-in or ensure that it is fully insured prior to travel in the case of damage occasioned by delay, our liability is limited to 4,150 SDRs (approximately £3,500/€5,200) for passenger delay or 1,000 SDRs (approximately £820/€1,250) for baggage delay.
We will not however be liable if we took all reasonable measures to avoid the damage or it was impossible to take such measures.

**************************************************************************************
Ryanair Holdings plc (Company No. 249885) / Ryanair Ltd. (Company No. 104547).
Registered in the Republic of Ireland. With registered address Corporate Head Office, Dublin Airport, Co. Dublin, Ireland.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2009 14:24 by keyneshark.

Red Exile (IP Logged)
12 January, 2009 13:05
I recommend you remove your name and address from the top of that post Keyneshark.

Bad things can happen when you post information like that on a public forum!!

keyneshark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2009 14:22
red exile
thanks

H's Dad.. (IP Logged)
12 January, 2009 16:02
Isn't the main point re. cancelling, all about facilitating two things.....

1. It would enable someone else to travel on that flight.
and
2. You have reacted responsibly and done your bit to try and avoid needless waste.

Since we're all hastening global warming by using planes, at least we should devise systems to try and keep them as full as practicable.

I see few reasons why a formal channel couldn't be opened by Ryannair to make seats that the purchaser won't be using available.
Refunds are a separate issue.

Yonah (IP Logged)
12 January, 2009 17:01
Under no circumstances would I want to assist Ryanair in filling the cancelled seats. They do not give any assistance to the traveller. Cancellation is normally nearer the flight date so they will be able to charge the higher rate etc etc.It would not actually benefit, on price, anyone other than Ryanair. They sell seats at the checkin for those no shows and I am informed that the price is pretty reasonable compared to on-line/phone price as they want to fill the seat. They have also oversold seats on certain routes I have travelled on in the expectation that there will be no shows.
They cancel their flights at the slightest whim - technical difficulties, nothing to do with the weather or Traffic Control - leave you standing there to sort yourself out and then when you try to claim the taxes back due to their incompetance they claim the admin fees are greater than the taxes due. So no I will not assist them to achieve a greater bums on seat ratio. They are quite happy with their ratio as it stands - look up some of "The Man's" recent claims in comparison to Lazyjet and others.
No apologies for this as Ryanair have screwed us up on a number of occasions and all for the same "technical" reason. I still travel with them as they still go to the places I want to go but I always have contingency plans if they go "technical" on us again.

Tigger (IP Logged)
12 January, 2009 17:19
Dear Ryan Air....Yonah is flying from Liverpool on Thursday. If you want his name please email me. Those flying from Stansted believe you to be a fair and great airline who look after their customers. You are fantastic!(Sm128)(Sm14)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and preserved piece BUT to slide across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting

GERONIMO!!!

RIP Marco Simoncelli 20/01/87 - 23/10/2011

12 January, 2009 17:27
Yonah.. couldn't have summed it up better .. brilliant.. I only use Ryanair if it is a last resort..

H's Dad.. (IP Logged)
12 January, 2009 17:30
So hurting Ryannair is more important than helping fellow travellers and reducing waste?
An interesting perspective!(Sm6)

12 January, 2009 17:33
Hds I just wonder if Ryanair 'help fellow travellers and reduce waste' as we should? Hnmmmm...

H's Dad.. (IP Logged)
12 January, 2009 17:54
Absolutely not emerging, they are an incredible cut-throat, hard-nosed organisation, and whilst that enables them to offer flights to some passengers at far less than cost, i certainly don't like them either, as i too have suffered similar cancellations.......

But it isn't as if i was unaware of all that before booking and i don't see why it should affect how one acts oneself!
Personally I aim to be more new testament than old, and i try to avoid emulating those whom I abhorr!
Couldn't be bothered to write to them telling them my seats were available though, as i don't know if they would try and sell them. They didn't reply to an email!

H's Dad.. (IP Logged)
12 January, 2009 17:57
They do reduce waste if it cuts their costs, however.
I gather that occasionally includes cancelling flights if less than 1/4 full an hour before they are due to go, (no matter how many seats have been sold!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2009 18:02 by H's Dad...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net