rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Cheshire Cup Final
LOUD Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2010 17:55
Want something to do on Wednesday 28th April?

Then why not come along and support the Jets in the Cup Final
Details are below.

2010 CHESHIRE CUP FINAL

LYMM
VS
SALE SHARKS JETS

At: Lymm RFC,
Beachwood, Crouchley Lane, Lymm, Cheshire. WA13 0AT

On WEDNESDAY
28th APRIL 2010

Kick Off 7.00pm

ADMISSION (Inc Programme and Car Park) £5.00
Under 17’s Free
All proceeds to CHESHIRE RFU.

www.cheshirerfu.co.uk

Don't take life too seriously? After all, no one gets out alive!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2010 09:24 by LOUD Shark.

Re: Cheshire Cup Final
Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
12 April, 2010 18:09
Never been to Lymms ground - plenty of parking available?

The Hookers Union (IP Logged)
12 April, 2010 18:33
How easy is Lymm to get to If I don't want to ride??

I've checked the route and it's easy enough for me, but I'd rather have a pint and come on the bus/train, than use my motorbike, through experience there are parts of the A50 I don't really like riding at night!

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s101.htm?104,file=863

vernonfella (IP Logged)
12 April, 2010 19:16
Quote:
Never been to Lymms ground - plenty of parking available?

No. Small club car park in front of the clubhouse. Less than Stockport, or Macc or Wilmslow RUFCs for example. Unless changes have been made in the past 12 months.

12 April, 2010 23:52
Unusual dilemma for me - my son plays with Lymm at U13 level - who are in their own Cheshire Cup final in a couple of weeks. Not sure which of my two hats to wear (literally)!

The club is expanding its playing facilities significantly this year, so it seems the parking/club house facilities are on hold for a bit.

As a result of this expansion our "home" matches have had to be played ay Lymm High School with only occasional visits to Crouchley Lane.

The car parking remains restricted, but usually adequate - there is a bit more parking down by Lymm dam, 200 yards away.

The centre of Lymm is not far away at all, so if you can get there by public transport then you're laughing.

LOUD Shark (IP Logged)
13 April, 2010 15:39
Thanks for that, I wasn't sure, as I haven't been either.
I posted the message on behalf of a friend, to drum up some more support!

I am sure it will be an entertaining evening though - better than watching the TV?

MikeGC (IP Logged)
13 April, 2010 16:36
Still don't like Fridays, surely 'tis easy, if you were a Lymm player (presume you were if your lad plays there) then you are a Lymm supporter to your very core...

13 April, 2010 16:48
Evening Mike - my son played for Warrington last year, and I was brought up in Worcester - so my Lymm allegiance is recent, a lot more recent than my allegiance to Sale.

Having said that I see a lot more Lymm rugby and training than I do Sale - and find it a lot more entertaining - lots of exciting backs play and much less aimless kicking. So I think you are right, just this once I'll be cheering on the opposition. Hope I'll be forgiven on this MB.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
13 April, 2010 17:44
sdlf, IMHuO Lymm has by far the best back line in North 1 West, it'll be interesting to see how their moves stack up to the backs moves the Jets might run. They certainly cut Burnage to ribbons and scored lots of points with very little ball (at our place).

14 April, 2010 07:56
The running style of rugby seems to permeate thoughout the club, and it may well come down to how much possession the Lymm forwards can secure, at least it often does at U13! There does seem to be a dearth of big lads - I put it down to insufficient pies in the formative years.

Lymm Shark (IP Logged)
14 April, 2010 15:22
We'll be there, not sure who I’ll be supporting though so might just keep quiet smiling smiley
The carpark at the club is very small and the traffic wardens are very keen around the area at the moment so if you park on double yellows or slightly on a white line in the carpark you are likely to get a ticket!. There is a carpark down the road from the club that is often used for Lymm Dam and there are two car parks in the village centre. The carpark on pepper street is pay and display before 6pm and about a ten minutes walk from the club.
Lymm 1st team and 2nd team both got promoted at the weekend so have been playing well. Should be a good game!!!
Plenty of pubs and restaurants in the village now (as well as beer in the clubhouse) if your not driving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2010 15:24 by Lymm Shark.

LOUD Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2010 18:25
(Sm50)(Sm46)

BUMP

(Sm48)(Sm51)

Basque-ing Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2010 19:13
For the benefit of The Hookers Union (and perhaps others) THIS IS ‘the best site in the world’ (if you’re in the UK smiling smiley ) and want to find your way to anywhere by public transport!

In this case, to get to Lymm RFC just enter your home post code (or starting point) and WA13 0AT as your destination. Date and time of departure. Un-check the ‘Car route’ box and click ’GO’.

Magically, your route, timings and modes of transport for the most direct and convenient rout will appear!

Hope this helps....

emerging shark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2010 19:25
Can someone explain to me how the Jets get to the final of the Cheshire cup? What happened to all the lad up matches..

LOUD Shark (IP Logged)
20 April, 2010 16:49
BUMP

H's D (IP Logged)
23 April, 2010 16:13
I believe the first round answer is to be found here emerging!
They also beat Macclesfield in the semi.

As it indicates on the rules link.
It is a simple knock-out competition between 8 teams (in the Cup at least) with a sub-committee deciding whether a team is in Cup, Bowl, Plate or Vase
The relevant rule being.
Quote:
Cheshire RFU
Participation: All clubs will be entered into the Competitions on the payment of the appropriate fee. The Sub
Committee shall decide which of the four competitions clubs shall be eligible to enter taking into account their
league status.
I do not think the interest is there for a much larger open knock-out - its impractical!(Sm100)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/04/2010 16:17 by H's D.

LOUD Shark (IP Logged)
24 April, 2010 14:07
BUMP AGAIN!

24 April, 2010 16:27
Well I should be there, I'll be on my bike so I assume I'll need to be early so I can park on the club carpark?

Bradwall Boy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2010 18:09
Well the Jets will be without Holmesy who jetted off to South Africa this morning. Hopefully he will have a good few months under the watchful eye of Dick Muir and then come back having had some hard fast rugby ready for the new season.

Ah, just remembered he's been released by Sale.

Dory (IP Logged)
25 April, 2010 20:54
Can't wait for the Cup Final on Wednesday. Have followed the Jets all season, even made some away games!
Great atmosphere at Heywood Road & much entertaining rugby.
Have also taken non-rugby fans along to watch. They enjoyed it so much they came again to the next home match!

26 April, 2010 23:34
BUMP!!

I'll do it this time instead of Jo!
I'll be there even though it means being beer free, and having to ride a road I hate riding in the daytime (let alone after dark!).

LETS CHEER OUR YOUNG GUNS TO SOME SILVERWARE!

LOUD Shark (IP Logged)
27 April, 2010 09:48
Cheers HU!
Thanks for the Bump!
You'll not be the only one that is beer free - so don't feel too disheartened?

27 April, 2010 11:15
no probs smiling smiley

How early do you reckon I'll need to be to guarantee a spot on their car park? I don't really want to leave my bike on a carpark away from the club...

LOUD Shark (IP Logged)
27 April, 2010 13:23
I shouldn't imagine you'd have too much trouble with a bike would you? You could shoe horn one in virtually anywhere?

But, to be on the safe side, probably give yourself an hour before kick off? That is probably being very safe mind?

Don't shoot the messenger either? I'm just surmising, I've not been there before either?
(Sm55)

27 April, 2010 13:44
I'd be surprised if you can't squeeze your bike into the car park - the far end of the car park is quite rough and not many cars are likely to venture that far. Failing that 200 yards further down Crouchley Lane in the Lymm direction takes you to a very small parking area for Lymm dam, which may well have a couple of bike spaces. Plenty of parking after that as you get into Lymm itself.

Lymm Shark (IP Logged)
27 April, 2010 13:46
You should be ok parking your bike at the club,the carparks not massive but it can still fit a fair few cars on it (if people park considerately) but there should be more than enough room to park your bike without you having to get there really early

snaderson (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 12:18
Any idea if there'll be food at the club? Greasy burger, perhaps? Otherwise I guess we're trawling Lymm village for a takeaway. And, no, I won't be going to Aidan Bryne's place.

Lymm Shark (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 13:41
Don't blame you snaderson the Church Green is quite pricey, although i don't think Aidan Byrnes is there anymore (just a rumour so i might be wrong) if there are no food vans there are few places you can go, The turkish (Flavors) is recommended for a sit down meal as is the chinese (Lymm Lounge),the Spread Eagle serves really nice "pub food" and the crown is cheap and chirpy,and we also have a chippy and an indian takeaway (Bhajis) there are plenty of eating places in Lymm now so i'm sure you will find something.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 14:16
If you want serious value for money and good food look at www.laboheme.co.uk ~ its probably full later in the evening but chances are you could get in for the early diner

Family run French establishment which was frequented by our ex-pat players before they all moved back to France

snaderson (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 14:50
Thanks for the advice, looks like there's plenty to choose from. See you all later.

Lymm Shark (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 14:53
La boheme is absolutely beautiful and well worth a visit, the bistro (opposite the chippy) is nice too, both get really busy (even during the week-especially the La Boheme late on) like Grumpy said if you go early you might geta table. Might have to have a trip there again

28 April, 2010 15:00
Well, I'll be setting off around 5:00ish from here, the traffic on the A50 will be nuts, so see you all there!

45jumper (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 21:25
WE WON!!!!!

Well done lads, just looked it up on the main site.

34-13, a great result! Hopefully that'll force our hand to give some of them a contract!

Match Report here...

LOUD Shark (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 21:54
Well done to the Jets.

Nice to see some silver ware this year!

Thoroughly enjoyable evening too.

28 April, 2010 21:59
Very pleasant evening bar a little drizzle. The last twenty minutes were difficult as the sun descended beneath the cloud and shone right into our eyes; however after ten minutes of that the sun set and things got really difficult. It was even darker than at Old Trafford in the famous Gillette Cup game.

Entertaining game with just enough bite and a welcome reminder that at this level not all the players are gym monkeys and it's still a game for all sizes.

Apparently KJ was there - we thought we heard maniacal laughter coming from his side of the pitch.

Cheadlegrandma (IP Logged)
28 April, 2010 23:20
Great night, great game, great atmosphere. Nuff said.

28 April, 2010 23:27
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Apparently KJ was there - we thought we heard maniacal laughter coming from his side of the pitch.

Yeah, I thought they'd let some Hyena's loose from Chester Zoo!
I didn't stay for the presentation (wanted to shoot off so I didn't have to ride as far in the dark!) but it was a great evening!

Nice to see some silverware coming our way, and a big thanks to our hosts, Lymm RFC is a nice club, I'll give serious consideration to popping over that way again!

28 April, 2010 23:30
Up to the about the 35th minute Lymm held the lead, abd the Jets were clearly a bit rattled, but then Lymm shipped 10 points leading into half time which effectivly killed it - after the break the Jets made fewer basic handling errors and fitness started to tell.

Lymm stuck at it and can hold their heads up. They competed on pretty even terms in every aspect.

Lymm U13 did lift the Cheshire Cup at the weekend, so good to see that the talent pipeline is full.

iBozz (IP Logged)
29 April, 2010 07:22
Congratulations to Sale, I'm just sorry i couldn't be there.

Given a choice of watching the Jets of hanging around the depressing and dirty MRI I know which I would have preferred!

Thank goodness it isn't me undergoing treatment there, I was mightily unimpressed.

But mightily impressed with the Jets, who play with adventure, flair and entertainment. Were our "Rugby Department" and players there to see how it can be done? I do hope so.

Quote:
... the sun descended beneath the cloud ...

That must have been a first in the history of the universe, Mrs T, and to be there to see it worth the entrance charge alone. Didn't it scorch the playing surface, though? (Sm8)

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

29 April, 2010 07:42
I wonder if the side playing last night are the ones who are going to be retained next term?

Could anyone put up a realistic team list including subs?

I don't normally get to see the Jets but I recognised Martin Halsall, Will Cliff, Ed Styles, Lee Imiolek, Mark Atkinson from their appearances at EP.

SantaStan (IP Logged)
29 April, 2010 08:23
An enjoyable evening. I wonder how many of the EP supporters have ever been to a real rugby club!

I thought Alex Shaw had an excellent game. When you consider he has been playing back row until recently, his has been a very good conversion to the donkey row.

Another conversion is Mark Atkinson to 12 from 10, he looks better as a 12 is beginning to use his reach to get the ball over the opposing tackler to release back up players.

Will Cliff is also beginning to look as though he can make a good 10. He has the long pass that all scrummies need and uses it well.

I thought that David Tait has looked a class apart all season, perhaps the new coach will recognise the talent and make good use of him.

29 April, 2010 08:39
Agree D. Tait was motm and looked a class apart. He has a better step than any of the Sharks centres including M Tait; maybe he should have had a go at centre?

I thought Turton was 10 and Cliff 9 last night?

Bradwall Boy (IP Logged)
29 April, 2010 08:51
Glynn came on and Cliffy went to 10 at half time.

Cliffy is an excellent 9 and should play there.

H's D (IP Logged)
29 April, 2010 08:57
It is reassuring to note that someone indicated Mike Brewer accompanied KJ to the match and he will no doubt have made his own assessments of the jets performances.

29 April, 2010 09:00
I heard someone say they watched the match from behind the 'burger van.

H's D (IP Logged)
29 April, 2010 09:21
I expect it was recorded then Mrs T!

29 April, 2010 09:24
I hope they had infra-red for the last 30 minutes.

C3Q (IP Logged)
29 April, 2010 09:39
My best guess is:

Styles
Brady
Atkinson
Davies
Turton
Cliff
Imiolek
Vernon
Halsall
Shaw
Hall
Tait

Bench included Glynn, A Birchall, and a very powerful hooker who contributed significantly to the penultimate try.

29 April, 2010 09:48
Eddie Stobart - he scored. The replacement hooker was Balalera.

LOUD Shark (IP Logged)
29 April, 2010 09:50
Mike Brewer was there, a mighty fine hand shake he has too!
Kingsley was also there, and yes, you are right, they weren't far from the burger van!

It was good to see the lads get into their stride after the first 20 minutes or so, no doubt nerves played a big part at first? Perhaps the uncertainty of what is happening at the club is a contributing factor.
Glad to see that rugby won through though in the end.
Lymnn played well, and certainly didn't let their guard down, they made it an entertaining match.

Santastan - perhaps you could do a survey to find out?

Enjoyable evening - Nice to see Riggers the Missus there too!

Well done to the Jets!

29 April, 2010 09:52
I thought the first 20 minutes or so they were like strangers, then after that they got to know each other more; the lineout was poor throughout.

It should be pointed out that Lymm played on saturday, winning promotion and doubtless partying afterwards. That's some turnround - and they've another cup final on Saturday.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/04/2010 09:55 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net