rugbyunion
Latest News:
messageboard logo

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Re: Blue seats At Barton
Mozzer (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 11:16
Staying O/T: He can only give what he sees (or his assistants see) of course. Shame that one, really, as I don't care who goes down out of those two. QPR are from London, but Bolton do appear to have slightly unnecessary superiority complex.

Certainly it had none of the humour of seeing a City fan cry (cry, for goodness sake) after an ex-County player has presumably had their multi-million-pound strikers in his pocket. Dear, oh dear. We've all lost in Swansea, mate. Some of us on a November Tuesday night in the last-minute of an FA Cup replay. I didn't feel the need to wail like a toddler though.

A rush and a push and the land that we stand on is ours
It has been before
So it shall be again
And people who are uglier than you and I
They take what they need, and just leave

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 12:17
Mozzer, O/T still, seeing it in real time it was easily missed and as you say an official can only give what he or she actually sees not what he or she thinks might have happened.

tbird (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 14:06
Quote:
DaveAitch
(O/T, I had better put O/T here, Clint Hill has forged a decent career for himself since his early days at Tranmere fifteen years ago.)

I remember Clint Hill caused many a nervous moment after a very ill-timed red card back in his Tranmere days when I watched as a youngster!

H's D (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 15:20
Quote:
...an official can only give what he or she actually sees not what he or she thinks might have happened.
Great in theory, but how many refs actually see the ball being grounded with downward pressure when they are behind the player scoring?
The degree of uncertainy is important.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 17:03
Well, the ball doesn't have to be grounded with downward pressure if the player is in control of it, so the referee doesn't have to see it.

22.1 GROUNDING THE BALL

There are two ways a player can ground the ball:
(a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.
(b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 17:50
IIRC "downward pressure" is a League law

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 17:55
I think that downward pressure used to apply in Union too, and the law was altered slightly a few years back.

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 18:18
Meamwhile - back on topic:

Neil Leigh has an article about Tom Brady in today's MEN. Near the end he states:
"Negotiations over a proposed move to the £26m City of Salford Stadium (is this the official name now? (my comment)) are now understood to be at an advanced stage"
"Meanwhile, Sale's ambitious bid to recruit England fly-half Danny Cipriani from the Melbourne Rebels is still on track."

Neil Leigh is further 'in the loop' than most of us, so it seems likely that both will be announced with fanfares shortly.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 18:30
Don, well half on topic! (Sm6)

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 18:46
Thanks Dave, Sorry to break up the interesting discussion on when is a try not a try! I scored so few of them it never bothered me! Scuse spelling too, never my strong point!

Actually I was rather hoping Neil Leigh would report that 'discussions on Barton had broken down and that Celebriani had signed for Exeter!' but no such luck! You would justified in calling me a miserable @#$%&!

(Sm124)

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 18:57
Quote:
Rugbydon
Meamwhile - back on topic:
Neil Leigh has an article about Tom Brady in today's MEN. Near the end he states:
"Negotiations over a proposed move to the £26m City of Salford Stadium (is this the official name now? (my comment)) are now understood to be at an advanced stage"
"Meanwhile, Sale's ambitious bid to recruit England fly-half Danny Cipriani from the Melbourne Rebels is still on track."

Neil Leigh is further 'in the loop' than most of us, so it seems likely that both will be announced with fanfares shortly.

I suppose from my perspective that would be a "good news, bad news " situation.

Good news - we're signing another exciting new player to play alongside Richie Gray.

Bad news - I personally am unlikely to get to see either of them!

iBozz (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 20:20
Quote:
DaveAitch
I think that downward pressure used to apply in Union too, and the law was altered slightly a few years back.

Indeed it did apply in Union, the ball had to be pressed down firmly with the palm of the hand - none of this falling over and landing on the ball that passes for a try these days!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

http://smileygenerator.us/smileytags/links/smiley_tag.0103287001410624489.gif

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Gandalfzz (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 20:42
Newtons third law:- To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

It appears from postings on here that there is an exception to this in Rugby Union?

Discuss!

Could be a Nobel prize for you in this as disproving Newtons Third Law would rank with discovering the Higgs Boson

I am anyones equal, but no ones superior

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 00:49
I wonder how many Directors/Executives at Sale Sharks read these columns. I know Swanny does, but do BK, Dimes and others? A major decision is shortly to be made, almost certainly resulting in Sale Sharks moving to The City of Salford Stadium at Barton.

I don't know how many supporters read these columns at SaleRugby.co.uk but I do know that the majority of those who have commented on Barton share concerns over access.

Are the Directors/Exectutives aware of these concerns, and if so, have the appropriate investigations been made? If the decision to go to Barton is confirmed and the access issue becomes a major problem then embarrassing questions will be asked!

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 07:58
Rugbydon,
I am very much on your side, and think that from a spectator point of view the move would be a disaster.

Only yesterday, I drove across Barton Bridge with a colleague who until that time knew virtually nothing about the stadium. What he does know a little about is planning applications and access, and he was amazed that the ground had been built.

I fully expect the crowds to drop to 4.5k to 5k, with maybe 6 on a good day, unless the transport infrastructure is seriously improved

I expect the corporate bookings to dry up too, once they
recognise the transport issues. "Great"(?) facilities might seem enticing now but may not seem quite so good when your guests remember the travel problems they had the first time they came.

The issue where we part company is over the embarrassing questions. You and I may ask some difficult questions, as may some of the others who contribute to this board. Many others who swallow everything that they hear from the club without a question will wonder what has happened. The new fans who are apparently being targeted will turn up once, and decide it's too much of an effort and not come back. They won't care enough to ask any questions.

But who is going to answer the embarrassing questions? No-one wants to discuss it with us now. They are certainly not going to want to talk about it when it's all gone wrong. So, questions there may be, answers are unlikely.

On second thoughts, perhaps you are right. The auditors, the bank, and the potential new owner may well have some embarrassing questions. They will be more difficult to ignore.

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 10:18
Ah well, wrong again.

I withdraw all my earlier comments, the reason for the move to Barton has become clear in the naming of the Jets team to play tonight.

All this talk of Cipriani is clearly encouraging other "celebrities" to join Sale.

Tom Cruise is on the replacements bench tonight and will obviously be joined by other well known names shortly.

Once the full squad for next season has been assembled they will need somewhere to land their private jets. Barton Airfield has to be the answer.

Have you heard any better reason?

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 10:19
The E-Paper; 'Manchester Confidential' has a very interesting article by David McCourt about the Barton Stadium with a long section about access difficulties:

It is titled: 'The Real Cost Of Salford City Stadium!

[www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk]

Mozzer (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 10:30
A lot of the people I’ve spoken to in the community have said the new stadium is soulless. I’ve heard people complaining that they can’t get there, and I’ve even heard people saying they’re not going to bother going anymore,”

Soulless? SOULLESS? A new ground? Soulless? Not having that. Not having that at all.

Interesting reference to Rangers. Your man has apparently confirmed he's interested. Sort of.

Best of luck with that one. To all parties concerned.

It has been before
So it shall be again

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 10:58
Frodo Shark, apparently Matt Damon is a late selection for the Jets following his role in 'Invictus' playing Francois Pienaar!

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 13:09
Mozzer, perhaps they (whoever they are) will decide to provide Barton with an artificial surface and it is going to be soilless rather than soulless.

Olyy (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 13:23
I hope not. I've had training on an artificial pitch once a week for this season and it's horrible stuff - all right for playing touch rugby on but hate contact on it.

At the start of Super League, when a few games were frozen off, they were played on artificial pitches (I believe the first game at Barton was frozen off, so they had to use 3G) and the players complained a load afterwards. I saw some pictures of them too: huge cuts/grazes all up their arms and legs, looked horrible.

14 March, 2012 13:31
No doubt the Manchester Ship Canal is far enough from the sea to be soleless.

Mozzer (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 14:10
The big question remains unanswered though: Will it be Saleless?

It has been before
So it shall be again

iBozz (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 14:19
Quote:
However, Stadium Manager, Pam, confirmed that plans were in place to build a taxi rank for Salford black cabs at Salford City Stadium. She said: “Salford black cabs have access to the ground and a new taxi rank will be opened right outside the reception of the stadium in the near future.”

So that's all right then.

Salford are clearly making a push for the "more money than sense" market who can afford extortionate taxi fares each game - both to and from the stadium.

Otherwise known as Corpulents.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

Mozzer (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 14:24
Tsk. The Negativity Board strikes again. Don't knock the plans, iBozz. Those black cabs will transport you all the way to the aerodrome, from where you will be able to fly back to Cheadle Hulme. Integrated sustainable transport at its finest.

It has been before
So it shall be again

iBozz (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 15:20
Negativity Board, Mozzer? Negativity Board? Whatever can you mean?

Are you perhaps referring to posters on here who don't fit Frodo's description (above) of ...

... others who swallow everything that they hear from the club without a question ...

Ww may be a tad critical from time to time, but the epithet of "negativity" is grossly misplaced, usually by those from the Club or who presumably subscribe to the FaceBook group where they seem to condone posts wishing that at least one poster on here were dead (or so I'm told). Now that really is negativity!

But from a pure PR point of view, the complete and total silence about any potential move (whether or not there is to be one) is little short of disastrous. The Club can hardly say that it has a policy of not commenting on rumour and speculation because it does do so, so the silence is out of character.

As supporters we may feel we have a right to know of business decisions, when clearly we do not, but equally, as supporters, we do feel that we have some right to know what our Club is doing as we help to pay the bills through our ticket and other purchases!

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 15:32
What Pam didn't explain is that 'Corpulants' using Salford Black Cabs will have to queue with the rest of the traffic on the M60, the J11 slip road, the J11 roundabout, Liverpool Rd and the Stadium access road! Unless they arrive via the A57 in which case I hope they bring a flask of coffee and sandwiches. Not much the Stadium Manager can do about that!

Mozzer (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 15:48
Rugbydon - Maybe they'll take a leaf out of the Olympics' book and have ZiL lanes onto and along the M60. Know your place, plebs.

Interesting stuff re. Facebook, iBozz (a phrase rarely used). I have narrowed down to three the list of potential candidates for eternal rest, based on proven ability to wind up people without even really trying winking smiley

It has been before
So it shall be again

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 16:06
I would suggest this is the Positivity Board.

There are so many people on here who would appear to want the opportunity to use their experience and knowledge to help the club.

That appears to be denied to us, unless they want someone to paint the toilets or move the snow.

They would rather us join the Facebook page so that we can be drip fed and as a reward get to enter competitions denied to the rest of us.

Back to the taxis.

What about this? Get a taxi at the right time and you get to watch the game from the M60 whilst queuing to get off. If you have agreed a fee in advance it could be a cheap night. Of course if you are on a meter that charges waiting time it could get expensive.

14 March, 2012 17:07
Maybe they'll have vaporetti from Media City.

14 March, 2012 18:52
Stocky Xpress - could be an announcement next week.

Also admission they got coaching and selection wrong at Exeter.

[menmedia.co.uk]

emerging shark (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 19:16
Were we talking about commas recently? 'The Exeter defeat has gone in my mind' said Steve Diamond....
Sounds like it had lodged itself in there and is not likely to come out... unless of course you put a comma in...

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 19:45
"The Exeter defeat has gone in my mind" said Steve Diamond....

Well that's one of the advantages of a year zero policy. When it's gone, it's gone.

"No doubt the Manchester Ship Canal is far enough from the sea to be soleless." Mrs. T., I had a dab at a fish pun too, but couldn't come up with anything.

I'm a bit disappointed there are only three on the final faceless short-list, if Mozzer is correct. I was hoping I might be there too.

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 23:37
Quote:
DaveAitch
"No doubt the Manchester Ship Canal is far enough from the sea to be soleless." Mrs. T., I had a dab at a fish pun too, but couldn't come up with anything.
[/quote

You mean you were [i]floundering[i] Dave ?

From a lofty [i]perch[i] on Barton Bridge you must have seen that one coming !!!

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 23:43
thumbs down

Kimi (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 00:16
I am caretaker at my local church & last Wednesday Peel Holdings came to give a public consultation regarding building houses on local farmland in Bury.
After giving the men from Peel Holdings a cup of tea I said Iwas a Sale Sharks supporter and what did he know about the stadium at Barton they had just built because a lot of our supporters were concerned about transport in and out of the stadium both in vehicles and on foot.
He said yes we are the owners and I know the guy who deals with the stadium at Peel Holdings. Give me your number and I will get him to ring you,
Last Thursday morning my phone rang and I was surprised to hear a voice say this is Steve from Peel Holdings I will answer any of your questions.
Peel Holdings and Salford City Council jointly own the stadium and Salford Reds are just tenants.
I said my question is about transport because if Sharks go to Barton we are concerned about there being no links for people on foot and that vehicls will have trouble getting in and out of the stadium. He said yes we have had initial problems but are trying to elleviate a lot of these problems
There is a car park but it is only for 2500.[My thoughts were yes for players.coaches,management and hospitality so where do the rest of the fans park,]I explained we get a lot more fans than Salford Reds and our supporters come from all over the North West and even Stoke-on Trent, He said I was at a stadium committee meeting yesterday made up of Peel Holdings Salford City Council to iron out a lot of problems about traffic to the stadium, He mentioned that Steve Diamond was at this meeting and was looking into buses from either Sale or Stockport to the ground,but nothing concrete had been decided yet.
He also mentioned that they had complaints about the pies being cold and they were dealing with THEIR CATERERS regarding this matter.[So Peel Holdings and Salford City Council even have the catering side under their committee.]
He said hospitality was under their remit so Salford Reds would get a percentage of the profits on catering.
So would we even loose that aspect and only get a percentage,
If you are troubled about anything else dont hesitate to ring me. With that the conversation ended,

H's D (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 08:49
I have heard that the stewards who have been retained for Barton have been reassured re. the difficulty of getting there by public transport. Buses will be laid on for them.

Perhaps it would be best not to assume that Steve Diamonds enquiries re transport reported by Kimi above will be for the benefit of the majority of non-corporate ordinary supporters.
Difficult to imagine that they would be able to arrange coach travel for several thousand supporters within a reasonable time frame. It is bound to add an extra half hour to travel imho.

Congestion concerns re. the short spur road and that section of the South Maachester Circular remain.

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 09:03
I'm delighted that Peel Holdings have the courtesy to talk to a Sale Supporter about their concerns, Sale Sharks take note. Have you got Steve's number Kimi?

I suppose we all assumed that shuttle buses will be provided since SS will have to address the problem eventually if they actually want bums on seats. How about buses from Altrincham where some of us live? I heard that shuttle buses go from the Trafford Centre; I wasn't aware anyone lived in the Trafford Centre!

I did a calculation, which I can't find on how many buses needed for the job, quite a few! Also, as Hs'D points out it buses don't address congestion; they will have to join the queues with the taxis and cars:

Quote:
Rugbydon
What Pam didn't explain is that 'Corpulants' using Salford Black Cabs will have to queue with the rest of the traffic on the M60, the J11 slip road, the J11 roundabout, Liverpool Rd and the Stadium access road! Unless they arrive via the A57 in which case I hope they bring a flask of coffee and sandwiches. Not much the Stadium Manager can do about that!

H's D (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 09:21
Rugbydon, with the congestion being as bad as it is already (with 3,500 attending Reds games),lets say the extra 3000 Sale supporters currently attending our matches might need bussing in.
50 per bus gives you a regular requirement of 60 coaches on a matchday. Shuttling from numerous locations including the Trafford centre, EP, local train stations.
Some might say this is an over estimation, but have they reflected that some matches might even attract significantly more than 6-7000 attendees? If match at Barton were to ever attract 10-12,000 what sort of unmitigated disaster would ensue unless public transport was sorted for at least half of those attending?

Anyone thought where these coaches/buses will come from?
I would suggest that that number are simply not available on any week-end during the rugby and footy seasons.
IMHO Sale will not be able to address such issues.
Most will end up walking 1-2 miles to the stadium.

Better get fit everybody!...and arrange to add an extra hour or so to your travel times.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 09:21
H's D (I think it was he) did a buses calculation a while back.

I'm not sure about it adding just half an hour to the journey time. I think it might be more in the order of an hour for me, at least till things get sorted out. It could be, however, that Barton will be so unpopular initially that those who do go won't find it as much of a problem as we all expect. Then, of course, all the doubters decide to go on the same Friday Saturday Sunday Friday - and chaos.

I wonder if the decision has already been made and that the powers are just waiting for the right time to tell us. I wonder too if the facebook group have had more feedback from them, the powers, than we have had on here.

H's D (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 09:24
As I have repeatedly posted, a decison was made back ion October.
If it could be made economic we would go!
With both parties needing a compromise to ensure economic viability a deal was always going to be done IMHO.(Sm100)

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 09:36
Semantics here, H's D: a decision has been made, but is that the decision? grinning smiley

H's D (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 10:15
It's not really semantics Daveaitch, the crucial fundamental decision was made back in October, with affordability the only remaining detail to be sorted.
I was told that back then.
All other considerations had been weighed up (both for and against) apparently without reference to existing supporters AFAIK.
A mistake imho but one can't really find fault with any decision made by someone subsidising a rugby club to the tune of £1-2M annually.

I just feel SS won't get many of the benefits they anticipate, that's all. If people stick to their voiced opinions they will lose a large chunk of their existing supporter base. Kimi's comments support that overall view.
Whether that loss is 20, 30 or 50% of supporters is anyone's guess, cuz it's not based on any surveys AFAIK, just anecdotal heresay.
I had hoped there would be a reassessment based on Red's experience but apparently not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2012 10:17 by H's D.

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 11:57
To me the semantics are irrelevant; I believe a major miscalculation is about to be made. Salford Reds have already made it for the same reason. The financial basis for their move (according to the 'Manchester Confidential' report), was based upon an expected increase in support from approx 5k to 8k. It hasn't happened yet. The Reds are adrift by £500,000 and have had to go to Salford City Council with a begging bowl.

The Sharks attendance averages about 7k this season. BK is on record as saying he want's to fill EP (10k) and reach regular attendances of 10k. He may have changed his mind of course but if Salford Reds are struggling to get more than 5.5k supporters, for reasons which certainly include 'access', then what chance have Sharks? It's possible they may not even maintain present levels!

recycledyorkie2 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 12:39
As a wrinkly season ticket holder in the Railway End (or whatever its called this week) who lives in Stockport there are no benefits whatsoever in the club moving to Barton. The season ticket is currently £59 + ripoff (sorry booking fee). Travel cost nil, car parking nil, time to get to ground - 15 mins, time to get home 15 mins.

How many others in my situation? I dont anticipate a season ticket at Barton being such a low price & the travel alone is more than the admission money.

Would I go and watch pre-season friendlies - no. Would I go and watch LV Cup - no. Would I go and watch Bic Biro Cup - doubtful. Do I want to sit for 30-45 minutes waiting to get out of a car park - no.

It seems that the club is determined to go ahead irrespective of what the punters think. Perhaps the correct poll to have is who thinks its a good idea to play at Barton.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 13:19
Unfortunately, I'm sure you are right, H's D. However, until a deal is signed sealed and delivered it can still fall through. Perhaps this Rangers thing will muddy the waters and earn Edgeley park a reprieve. Perhaps affordability will be the sticking point, but then if they want to go one suspects they will go almost regardless - especially if they actually made the decision several months ago. Someone who makes up £1-2m shortfall a year has a right to make decisions that might improve or worsen that shortfall. It doesn't mean I (or anyone else) has to agree with him on every decision he makes.

scrum30 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 14:15
H"s D Where did you here the news about the stewards being bussed in to barton??
Cant see that happening and sharks will simply use the same stewards that salford do!!

H's D (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 15:05
Indirectly: from a steward who was concerned that he would no longer be able to continue next season because he was dependant on public transport, he was apparently told not to worry as SS would provide transport to and from Barton.
Well before kick-off and well after the whistle I expect that to be entirely practicable.
I suspect the rationale to be that using our own stewards works out cheaper.

I suggest you chat to a steward at the next home match.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2012 15:13 by H's D.

Shep23 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 16:38
I personally think the fact that sales sharks watching the city game tonight en masse accordin to twitter, coupled with the fact the players have been training in the same place could indicate another option in terms of stadia next year

Printerland Annie (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 16:46
I must say, Shep, that the same thought went through my mind. Swanny has also tweeted from time to time that there is something big in the offing, but that could be anything (or nothing).

However, another thing that hasn't really been discussed concerning Barton and the alleged one mile walk from the car parking facilities is the difficulties that disabled people may face. I attend EP with someone who is not at all good on his feet. He can manage the walk to and from the car park that we use, but a mile there and back would be a major problem for him.

Mozzer (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 17:00
I like you lot at the moment. The day you get into bed with those shameless wh0res from East Manchester is the day I start hoping Leicester hammer you every single time they play you. winking smiley

It has been before
So it shall be again

15 March, 2012 17:51
Mozzer! I had you down as a realist.. sport is just big money nowadays and we we don't like it we should all go back to watching Heaton Moor and whatever local fc we support..
DaveA, back to Diamomd's quote.. 'It's gone in my mind' should have said 'it's gone out of my mind' think about it....

15 March, 2012 17:52
Is this the longest thred ever?

scrum30 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 18:30
H s D just cant see that happening!! Dont think salford/sale or stadium management would have one set of stewards at one game and a different set at the next!!

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 18:35
Quote:
emerging shark
Is this the longest thred ever?

It could well be, but just what is a thred? eye popping smiley

(The perils of the typo.)

H's D (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 19:18
Scrum30 have you asked yourself who provides the stewards at Salford Reds games?
If it's Reds themselves why would they have any say in who stewards our games?
Talk to our stewards, you can argue with them not me!
Your pov would either involve them lieing or them being lied to!
I can't see why the steward in question would tell porky pies when he feared the worst and it came as a pleasant surprise

scrum30 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 20:02
i know most of the sharks stewards and ive even worked at salford a few years ago . I do know that group 4 have got the security contract at barton for salford so doubt it would be different for sale.
When sale went to ep they used the county staff! It just seems to me that if sale are going to barton for a better balance sheet then they wont be providing buses for staff!
Though as their are so many rumours flying around ep who knows what the outcome will be??

15 March, 2012 20:44
When Sale Sharks first to EP there was a mix of SCFC stewards and Heywood Road stewards..

SandDancerShark (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 20:57
Could it be that SS only move to Barton whilst EP is revamped?

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 21:31
Quote:
SandDancerShark
Could it be that SS only move to Barton whilst EP is revamped?
Been wondering that myself recently.
It's not unusual for a team to have a season "on the road" while their ground is done up (i.e. when St Helens were having their new stadium built last season)

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
15 March, 2012 23:33
Printerland Annie, I couldn't find any reference to Disabled Facilities on the Salford Reds website but there must be some since such provision is a requirement in planning and building regulation approvals. Having said that the Stadium planning consent seems to have slid round the requirement for 'adequate sustainable transport'.

On the subject of transport, I was intrigued by your reference to a 1mile walk from carparking to the Stadium. What carparking do you have in mind and is it easy to get to bearing in mind inevitable local congestion on match day?

It occurs to me 'Shuttle Buses' may be better dropping off at a suitable turning point a little way from the Stadium rather than trying to battle their way the final congested mile. For the same reason it may make sense to have a taxi rank near the J11 roundabout rather than in the Stadium. Not sure this makes any sense but clutching at straws!

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 00:06
I'm a bit confused by the 1 mile from parking to the stadium???
as the parking appears to be immediately next to the stadium ~ I would also add that at this point in time there is a lot of waste ground adjacent to the car park which could be surfaced to extend it if the need arises

iBozz (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 00:29
I think the nearby parking is for the Chosen Ones, mere mortals will have to walk from the Trafford Centre which may, or may not, be a mile or so away - no doubt as a crow might fly.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 07:35
In view of the acreage of apparent space available, there are going to be a lot of chosen ones!

iBozz (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 07:51
It depends where you mean, GOS.

My understanding, and having no car I've not bothered to check, the spaces around Barton Stadium itself are relatively few - the number has been mentioned on this august forum elsewhere.

there is, indeed, a mass of scrubland, an airport, MAKRO and other places where cars might be abandoned in the area, but just how many of those will be usable I know not.

I can't speak for MAKRO, of course, but as an account holder there myself I'd be a tad hacked off if I were to find the car park filled with sports fans when all I wanted to do is stock up on supplies - especially if I were a tradesman buying huge quantities for a shop. They may, of course, choose to open the car park and make money by so doing (if they did, maybe they could use the extra funds to improve the coffee in the cafe!) but I've certainly sen nothing about it in the newsletters or on their notice boards. Currently, MAKRO's car park is locked up after the warehouse closes at 9:00pm so it wouldn't be much use "as is" for any Friday games!

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 07:58
It remains to be seen how everything parking wise will pan out. The more space there is to use for parking next to the stadium the more the chaos will be before and after. More people will arrive late, if we assume crowds will be big enough, and, even worse, much worse, more people will start leaving early to beat the post-match (c)rush. Half time should be relatively quiet though.

16 March, 2012 08:11
On the subject of carparking, I was refering specifically to H's D's comment

'Most will end up walking 1-2 miles to the stadium.

Better get fit everybody!...and arrange to add an extra hour or so to your travel times'

and to comments made several days ago now that the carpark spaces immediately adjacent to the ground will be for 'the chosen ones'. I recall reading another post somewhere on this thread that the nearest 'general' carpark is about a mile away, but I haven't got the time or energy to trawl through 600+ posts to find it!

With regard to disabled facilities, I am aware of planning and building regulation requirements, but as I understand them, these apply more to registered disabled people. My friend isn't registered disabled - he is just pretty bad on his feet and he walks painfully and slowly. He could manage a one mile hike but it may become a factor in his decision on whether to attend matches in the future. I am sure there must be others in the same situation as rugby does tend to attract the more mature spectator.

Mozzer (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 08:46
emerging shark - I am a realist though it doesn't end there. I am also someone who thinks that ackowledging reality does not mean that you then allow yourself to become so debased in pursuit of your goal that you take 'realism' to a new low.

City and their fans were more than happy to accept Shinawatra and his money, despite the fact that there were clear human rights allegations against him from respected sources and that corruption was there in the background (later to be brought into the foreground). So, whilst it might take some serious money to compete at that level it doesn't mean you have forget that other things might be more important than winning a football trophy. It's not like it was a choice between death and glory for City. It was a choice between doing what lots of other clubs do and inviting a corrupt human-rights abuser to fund the party (which in the end only worked as a stepping stone to the untold riches they now find themselves with from others who I am hardly sold on).

A detestable club. I LOLed when I checked Ceefax last night.

And I should add that just because I acknowledge reality, it doesn't mean I have to like it. In the case of the state of English football I very much don't like it.

2nd edit Link to Yellow Board thread An advert for our season tickets for next year, put together entirely independently by some of our fans. It goes some way to explaining disenchantment amongst a certain demographic of football fan.

It has been before
So it shall be again

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2012 09:29 by Mozzer.

H's D (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 09:08
In my posts 1 mile indicated parking in the streets of Eccles, 2 miles - Makro car park or those car parks associated with the Trafford centre.
You can easily use google maps to be certain of the distance by foot from any specific location. That's what i did.

The planning permission limited the number of car park spaces, for pretty obvious reasons!
I doubt they will permit significantly more parking in the immediate vicinity of the stadium until road access is improved as per the Western Gateway plan. (if it ever is of course) That is what the existing planning permission stipulates.

You don't have to trawl Annie - use the search facility.

One also has to remember that the 600 cars may not carry an average of 4 supporters each and quite a few places will be used by players, staff, disabled etc. They may well only provde access for 1200 to 1500 supporters.
The 20 coach places adds close to a thousand potentially but in total I doubt more than a third of our current gate can be accommodated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2012 09:10 by H's D.

Nick Stone (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 09:31
I thought that the players and management would have been at Carrington, and coached to Barton.

16 March, 2012 12:12
Just posted on another thread:

'**NEXT WEEK! QUIZ NIGHT UPDATE!**

QUIZ NIGHT with the SSSC’s very own FRASER McKENZIE

Tuesday 20th March 7pm at Edgeley Park

Prior to the start of the Quiz, Sale Sharks’ Chief Executive Steve Diamond will be here tell us about what would happen should we move to the stadium at Barton. He understands that there are very real concerns with regard to travel and transport, kick-off day and time and seating amongst other things and so he’s coming to speak to supporters to let them know what plans the Club has.

After this the quiz will take place featuring a team lead by SSSC sponsored Fraser McKenzie. The quiz will be general knowledge with a Sale Sharks round and more and there will be a prize for the winning team, along with other spot prizes and a raffle.

Admission to the evening is FREE to SSSC members and under 16’s and £2.50 for non-members. The bar will be open.

Maybe we should all get down there!

Basque-ing Shark (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 13:27
The paragraph above (Starting "Prior to the start of the Quiz....") is not quite accurate!

This is the purpose of Dimes' question and answer session:

Steve Diamond will answer questions about the development of the club in his new capacity as CEO.
He is also looking for feedback with regard to the very real concerns about possible transport, parking, seating arrangements, day and KO time etc. should we move to the new stadium at Barton. This is purely to help with the decision making process!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2012 14:27 by Basque-ing Shark.

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 13:50
I'm in London doing England International & galleries but will try and get there. At least Dimes has an inkling of the issues causing concern. I hope supporters who go can let Dimes knows what supporter's concerns are. I doubt he can give totally satisfactory answers because I doubt if anyone knows the answers. At least it will start the dialogue with the CE!

H's D (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 15:52
I quite like what PA wrote: it gives the impression of the SSSC quizzing, whilst SS Support burns....(Sm6)

'Starting the dialogue', two weeks before the PGB Criteria "Ground Moves" 31st March deadline! Classic! (Sm22)

16 March, 2012 16:06
For the avoidance of doubt, I hope no-one has got the impression that I wrote the paragraph in italics above. I cut and pasted it from a separate thread entitled 'SSSC Quiz Night: Dimes to do Q&A' which was written by cd2. The paragraph was subsequently deleted (I presume by cd2). The reason given was that it was a duplicate thread.

H's D (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 16:25
'Twas only a joke PA!
I am absolutely certain that whilst CE was at the helm the SSSC might well have appeared to have been serenely going about their business on the surface, whilst frantically paddling beneath the water over such an issue.
I would like to think that has been the situation these last 6 months wrt the obvious concerns over a Barton move.

16 March, 2012 17:26
I thought it was, H's D but I thought I had better cover myself!

SHOUTING SHARK (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 19:46
Move to Barton is a done deal, commencing in September.
The first SS game there will be against Leinster in August.

Methinks!

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 19:58
I'm wondering why in late March "He is looking for feedback with regard to the very real concerns about possible transport, parking, seating arrangements, day and KO time etc. should we move to the new stadium at Barton." This thread was started in early November.

Timpers (IP Logged)
16 March, 2012 22:25
I have just been to and come back from Salford City Reds stadium to watch the Leeds game. It was so one side that I left with 20 minutes to go, and there was already a queue of cars trying to get out of the car parks. The announcer said during the game that at the end of the game, the car parks would be closed for a short while to allow pedestrian spectators time to get out, and when I drove past the ground on the high level bridge after dropping a friend off at the Traffic Centre, there were masses of red lights in the car park. I have been an ardent supporter of Sale moving away from EP, as I live near Chorley, but after tonight's experience I hope we stay in Stockport. Also the bar ran out of hot dogs, cheese and onion pies, but the view was great. Shame about the transport arrangements.

iBozz (IP Logged)
17 March, 2012 08:08
Quote:
DaveAitch
I'm wondering why in late March "He is looking for feedback with regard to the very real concerns about possible transport, parking, seating arrangements, day and KO time etc. should we move to the new stadium at Barton."

I thought that was obvious, DA. SS has clearly joined the Co-op movement and they are now using the slogan "The caring, sharing Sharks".

Our opinions matter!

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
17 March, 2012 08:40
Quote:
iBozz
[
I thought that was obvious, DA. SS has clearly joined the Co-op movement and they are now using the slogan "The caring, sharing Sharks".

Our opinions matter!

Are you sure it's not the coop movement and it's not to do with headless chickens? grinning smiley

H's D (IP Logged)
17 March, 2012 09:52
Quote:
Daveaitch
I'm wondering why in late March "He is looking for feedback with regard to the very real concerns about possible transport, parking, seating arrangements, day and KO time etc. should we move to the new stadium at Barton." This thread was started in early November.

IMHO That belittles the lack of communication.There have been numerous threads on this e.g.
Dimes first announced SS's intention last May.
- as the link clearly demonstrates, valid concerns were expressed very early on.....
CE's poignant anecdote is, sadly, the absolute truth.

It's certainly not headless chickens either....... this whole thing has been driven by a very well focused determined strong management intent on one outcome ...all in my very humble opinion, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/03/2012 10:01 by H's D.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
17 March, 2012 10:06
Humble? That'll be the day.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
17 March, 2012 10:33
1) As I was writing on this thread, I referred to this thread. I'm sorry if anyone other than H's D thinks it belittles the lack of communication or anything they have said or written.

2) The coop is the stadium. We are the headless chickens.

H's D (IP Logged)
17 March, 2012 12:02
Chicken!

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
17 March, 2012 12:08
It certainly won't be battery farming.

There won't be enough chickens there to make it crowded.

17 March, 2012 20:16
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had a trial game there this season. I pretty much class myself as a 'hard core' supporter these 25 years and if I'm honest I will not committ myself until I've tried a few games...

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net