rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Blue seats At Barton
HaleShark (IP Logged)
03 November, 2011 19:09
I donít know if anyone has mentioned this previously but as I passed over Barton Bridge on the M60 this afternoon it looked like they were installing blue seats next to a block of red seats.

I assume this is another indicator that we will be playing in Eccles next season.

Re: Blue seats At Barton
DaveAitch (IP Logged)
03 November, 2011 19:13
It has had a mention - but a separate thread makes it stand out more.

woodley shark (IP Logged)
03 November, 2011 19:15
I also spotted those blue seats Haleshark.

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 November, 2011 19:41
I believe that Salfords traditional "away" colour is dark blue so more likely to do with that

We can hope though tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 19:42 by Olyy.

Tigger (IP Logged)
03 November, 2011 22:26
Quote:
Olyy
I believe that Salfords traditional "away" colour is dark blue so more likely to do with that
We can hope though tongue sticking out smiley

Salford have had a black shirt but I believe that there away shirt is white with black and red...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and preserved piece BUT to slide across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting

GERONIMO!!!

RIP Marco Simoncelli 20/01/87 - 23/10/2011

Olyy (IP Logged)
03 November, 2011 22:52
Ah, maybe I'm mistaken
I know their recent change kits have been black, but I'm sure that they traditionally had blue,

Much like our colours are Blue and White(?), but we've got Mulberry at the moment

It's all elementary anyway because the aren't dark blue anyway!

http://p.twimg.com/AdQDDMkCMAAuGGP.jpg:large

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 22:53 by Olyy.

iBozz (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 08:28
From that picture, one can deduce (possibly wrongly) that the red seats will outnumber the blue ones by a fairish margin.

If they are being put in in our honour, then we would clearly be the junior party!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s38/smilies-17395.png

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 08:29 by iBozz.

Mozzer (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 08:44
And they're closer to 'City blue' than proper blue winking smiley

A rush and a push and the land that we stand on is ours
It has been before
So it shall be again
And people who are uglier than you and I
They take what they need, and just leave

OxO2 (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 11:31
See this post from Michigan Red on the Scarlet Turkey site:

"My membership pack arrived this morning and have just made a bit of a call to the club to just put my minbd at ease that the blue seats are the only difference to the visuals in the brochure included in the membership pack.
I was assured that the blue seats will infact be the only difference to the pictures, was told that it was a shock to all at the club but entirely down to the council and stadium management.
Also asked as I prefer Friday if the game day would be moved if Sale move in to share the ground and was told 100% that for the up coming season the only reason we wouldn't play Friday nights is at Sky's request to televise games.

Was also told that as we spoke Mat Parish walked through the front door so he at least has returned, let's hope it's for the long term and he isn't as easily offended by the colour blue as some on here seem to be."

There's also a whole thread on there about the horror of blue seats (Swinton Lions, see :-)), but as some point out, blue has been on their kit in the past - but it seems that it's the Council's decision.

Printerland Annie (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 14:15
Quote:
iBozz
From that picture, one can deduce (possibly wrongly) that the red seats will outnumber the blue ones by a fairish margin.
If they are being put in in our honour, then we would clearly be the junior party!

An alternative view is that all the red seats have been installed and the builders have just started installing the blue seats (it certainly looks that way from the photograph). In which case the blue seats will outnumber the red seats by a fairish margin.

I can't see why the council would have a view on the colour of the seating - surely that is a decision for the tenants?

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 14:27
What time of day did you take the photo of Barton Olyy? If Sale play on nice 'sunny' Saturday afternoons, as I hope they will, I had better remember my sunglasses!
(Sm60)

H's D (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 14:31
Absolutely not! The tenants may change, the owners probably won't. It might well indicate the owners have reserved the right to install other tenants, that Salford Reds do not have exclusive or preferential use.

Olyy (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 14:36
Pinched it from a Rugby League forum grinning smiley

Mozzer (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 14:58
Fun as this is, I'd infer nothing from the colour of the seats. Especially if they're the wrong shade of blue. Have you learnt nothing about identity in your time at EP? winking smiley

It has been before
So it shall be again

Bradders (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 15:00
Ah, well done Mozzer - was waiting for someone to point that out!

pitprop (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 15:05
Found this on Scarlet Turkey, but not sure of its original source.

Co-tenants

Scroll down to the last post on the page

Olyy (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 15:12
The picture?
I presume it came from the guy who posted it's photoshop tongue sticking out smiley

iBozz (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 16:40
Quote:
Printerland Annie
Quote:
iBozz

An alternative view is that all the red seats have been installed and the builders have just started installing the blue seats (it certainly looks that way from the photograph). In which case the blue seats will outnumber the red seats by a fairish margin.

Not, surely, if the whole of the centre is red? My point is that if all areas now started go to the back and the only other blue is reflected on the other side then there will be more red than blue.

Mind you, I haven't got s magnifying glass and counted - life's too short.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

scb (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 17:22
I am not sure if its the fact that your clubs owners reputation for treating other clubs like dirt, goes before you, or simply that that with Sale being the perpetual cuckoo, leaching and living of others is what Salford City Reds are concerned about
- but it seems they don't want you eithersmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley

What a great start and so well deserved

There will only ever be one solution to all of this - go home to HR, or, dare I say, it build your own stadium

Olyy (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 17:34
Sigh.

(Sm103)

scb (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 17:51
I have no need of your violins young lady, you need to go away and bake a cake or something more befitting you

County fans are already petitioning Salford City Council for some public toilets to be erected adjacent to the ground

H's D (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 18:08
Are you coming with us then steve? If EP is all sold off for development you will, in effect, become a franchise! (Sm14)(Sm49)

04 November, 2011 18:18
Quote:
H's D
Are you coming with us then steve? If EP is all sold off for development you will, in effect, become a franchise! (Sm14)(Sm49)

Far too big a ground for broke Stockport. They will go to Cheadle town, Woodley Sports or Altrincham.

04 November, 2011 18:24
........or possibly back to Heaton Norris Rec from whence they came to groundshare that nice rugby ground EP.

scb (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 18:25
Not a chance of it - far too smelly around those partssmiling smiley

Woodley if you dug a little deeper you would realise that whilst not in BK's league the shareholders at SCFC are a very very wealthy bunch - they just don't care much for county with a few exceptions

It's this development land that is holding everything up, take Sale for instance (no honestly, please, anywhere) they would already be signed up for Salford City Reds were it not for the prospect of a stadium in Stockport

I still think this is your last season at EP, and BK will have a job getting rid of that for anything other than SCFC

We'll see - but i'm right on thissmiling smiley

04 November, 2011 18:30
Shareholders that don't much care for County ?

They must be football supporters or better still RUGBY supporters.(Sm66)

04 November, 2011 18:35
scb, I see there is another new dawn about to break over Edgeley park again. Another potential backer looms over the horizon and will probably fall straight into the lake along with the rest.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 19:05
scb selective postings as usual.. I happen to live in 'smelly' heaton norris...and am ver happy there thank you..
Prefessional sport... look it up...

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 19:29
scb, it's always good to have such witty, well-informed comment. smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

Are six smiling smilies enough?

Mozzer (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 20:50
woodley - you're hilarious, but for none of the right reasons.

Fortunately for Sale there are plenty of other fans who I have much more respect for, otherwise I'd be hoping BK drops you from the height you're at with him at the moment. Then you'd STFU about debt and the rest of it. If you think Sale aren't broke, you're a fool. You're just lucky. At the moment.

Your backer has had enough anyway. Let's hope you get as lucky with the next person/group willing to throw 7 figure sums down the drain on an annual basis, probably whilst playing out of a soul-less shiny tin shed near to nothing of any relevant worth.

EP was there when you needed it and you'd probably now be nothing without it, and therefore us. Mrs T knows the history up to 1903. But it was us who made the ground what it was in the century before you showed up. Since arriving you've done nothing but tart up the directors lounge and get the fans to paint the place. Oh yeah. And put some plastic windows in the historic Main Stand. Cheers - we're truly overwhelmed. In fact your debt-ridden club has done none of that. It's relied on a rich man to do it. So, no thanks to Sale Sharks at all for anything to do with the ground, because you've contributed nothing as a club, save for those fans who helped out.

We're massively in the mire at the moment. More than I expect you know. But at least we're honest enough about what we are and where we are.

H's Dad - whatever happens (and assuming we survive, which isn't a given), we will remain in Stockport. What with us being Stockport County. So, not a franchise. Not that it would happen, but if someone tried to remove us from the town the support would disappear and the club would be dead within 2 years anyway. I refer you to the abortion that was Manstock County. However I think we covered this on here about 8 years ago winking smiley

It has been before
So it shall be again

04 November, 2011 21:06
Mozzer we never did get that lunch we discussed a while ago.. you do speak a lot of sense (at times) but professional sport knows no boundaries nowadays.. as I'm sure you know. I could point to lots of Footy clubs that have gone down the Sharks route...

scb (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 21:47
Woodley Shark - of one thing i am certain and have been since you arrived, we, poor bankrupt SCFC will see you and the dross that you bring to EP out of Stockport

Its a given - you aren't welcome, we don't want you, nor do Salford Reds, you're not nice a nice club - begone with all due haste

We may appear to be down and out but we are of the same mindset we have been for 7 years or more and we won't give up until you take your minor sport out of Stockport - and you willsmiling smiley and then we can all see how long Salford put up with the Sale travellers

iBozz (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 22:16
scb, you are yet again confusing Sale Sharks supporters, Sale Sharks the "club"* and Cheshire Sports. (Sm102)

* It's as much a "club" as is a football "club".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 22:18 by iBozz.

Mozzer (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 22:23
emerging - you're right. We must do that sometime.

As to the Sharks route, I'm not sure whether you're referring to the 'relying on a rich man' or the 'move round grounds as and when it suits'. In the first case I could probably find 50 clubs without even trying. We were one for a while (though 'rich' is, of course, a relative thing here). My point to Woodley on that score is that it is best not to gloat about the position of others when you are one bad deal away from going down the tubes yourself. And, as a serial loss-making entity that has relied almost entirely on the munificence of one man, Sale most certainly are that. Potential investment from Russia or London notwithstanding.

Whilst I understand why some Sale fans might dislike some of our fans, I find the glee with which some greet our extremely precarious position pretty disgusting. Even as one of those backward, tribal football fans I wouldn't wish what we're going through on any club but the hateful MK franchise (who I hope will die altogether). Even my rather more, er, abrasive cohort, scb, only wants you gone from EP. Which is not the same thing at all.

As to the 'move around' thing, that just doesn't sit at all well with football fans these days and they won't put up with it (see the aforementioned franchise and AFC Wimbledon and how many football fans not directly affected by it have reacted). In fairness to Sale I can perhaps see your position in a similar way to the early days of professional football - it's about finding the right place. We moved across the river. Man U moved from Newton Heath. Arsenal moved halfway across London, for goodness sake. I'm sure the list could go on, if I could be bothered to research it smiling smiley So, being a generous sort, in that regard I can equate where you are now to where football was in this country a century or so ago. I don't blame Sale for wanting to find a base that works. I hope for the sake of the decent Sale fans - which is the majority of you - that it works, and sooner rather than later. But along the way it's going to rub people up the wrong way. Or it has done here (and I don't think it had to). I don't entirely share scb's view of things in that regard, but I can certainly see where he's coming from.

It has been before
So it shall be again

FyldeShark (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 22:32
Mozzer

do you have reservations about the almost faith being put into YTYT in turning things around. the lack of financial solidity worries me

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 22:40
Quote:
Mozzer
we will remain in Stockport. What with us being Stockport County. So, not a franchise. Not that it would happen, but if someone tried to remove us from the town the support would disappear and the club would be dead within 2 years anyway.

If someone bought the club, SCFC, that is and moved it elsewhere your support might disappear, but others would come in to support. This has happened in football (Wimbledon FC moving to Milton Keynes) and to a degree in rugby as well (Penzance and Newlyn). Of course the better news for "Wimbledon" is that another club grew out of the ashes and sit in League 2 (4th division!) as AFC Wimbledon.

iBozz (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 22:42
Listen to Liver on the subject on a PureFM Sport podcast - currently it's located here, but if it's moved then look for the podcast on later pages of the index entitled ...

Pure County - Southport FA Cup Pre Match
28 October 2011 by Pure Radio

... which is described as ...

An exclusive chat with Rod Gunner about his involvement in a consortium interested in taking over Stockport County, plus why he is bringing Power Snooker to Manchester.

Plus the Your Town Your Team fans outline their ambitions.

All the relevant bits are at the start of the programme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 22:43 by iBozz.

Mozzer (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 22:45
Fylde Shark - Until we find out more I'm keeping an open mind. Sadly, I can't make the meeting tomorrow but I'll be interested to see what comes out of it. Certainly I wonder how we're going to be able to influence things without money. Our current owners have acted at all times as if they are in it for some sort of return (rather than necessarily acting in the best interests of the club) and I don't see that changing any time soon. I'm also not one of those who subscribes to the Cult of Jim Gannon, who is amongst those leading it. However I also feel we've reached the point where I'm not sure what we have left to lose. I recently wrote a piece for one of our fanzines that was a bit of a stream of conciousness regarding the club, but the essence of it is 'Without radical change on and off the park, we're ****ed'. Things are about bad as they have ever been.

DaveAitch - the thing there is that the club is actually AFC Wimbledon. The Franchise is not a continuation of the previous incarnation, despite them stealing their league place. Even they admit that now. For example, the honour of the 1988 FA Cup win (which I'm sure you recall winking smiley) resides with AFCW not with MK Dons. However were someone to try to shift us to Manchester or elsewhere on a permanent basis then, yes, I'd hope we would do the same as they did. (Met a few of them a few times - inspirational bunch and we had some fun at EP with them when the Franchise came to town...)

Anyway, it is way past my bedtime... smiling smiley

It has been before
So it shall be again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 22:51 by Mozzer.

04 November, 2011 22:45
[quote scb]Woodley Shark - of one thing i am certain and have been since you arrived, we, poor bankrupt SCFC will see you and the dross that you bring to EP out of Stockport

An excellent reposte. I'm sure all the retailers of edgeley will thank you and all your narrow minded supporters of making sure that the traders of Edgeley are twidling their thumbs every other week.(Sm152)

04 November, 2011 22:52
[quote Mozzer] My point to Woodley on that score is that it is best not to gloat about the position of others when you are one bad deal away from going down the tubes yourself.
quote]

Oh dear Mozzer, you have stepped away from your comfort zone here, speaking without the comfort of SMBC covering your wages. Tut tut.

Here we have a club with so so so many white knights looming over the hill and all turning to dust.

Sh1t3 club attracts sh1t3 investers. Best concentrating to stay in the conference old chap.

Mozzer (IP Logged)
04 November, 2011 22:56
If you could debate the issues rather than getting silly I'd respect you more. As you've failed to do that yet again, I'll leave it there. Other than to thank you for two more posts that are hilariously wrong on several levels.

It has been before
So it shall be again

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 00:17
It might come as a surprise to some people but:
I am totally ambivalent about the interests of Stockport County or Salford Reds. Those issues are entirely down to them. I am just interested in securing reasonable terms on a ground which will suit Sale Sharks for a while.
I hope that the good football and rugby league clubs in question will do well and I hope whatever deal transpires will suit them too. I am sure they and their legal eagles will take care of that.
Go to it Sale sharks!

Tigger (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 00:45
Quote:
scb
Woodley Shark - of one thing i am certain and have been since you arrived, we, poor bankrupt SCFC will see you and 1.the dross that you bring to EP out of Stockport
Its a given - 2 you aren't welcome, 3 we don't want you, nor do Salford Reds, 4. you're not nice a nice club - begone with all due haste

We may appear to be down and out but we are of the same mindset we have been for 7 years or more and we won't give up until 5. you take your minor sport out of Stockport - and you willsmiling smiley and then we can all see how long Salford put up with the Sale travellers

scb..I see you have reverted to type...bitter, twisted and still blaming 'Sale' for all your woes.

1. The dross....please explain what is 'the dross' that 'we' bring.
2. 'You'..what us the supporters that spend a lot of money in and around Edgeley are not welcome??
3. I take it that is the royal we is it...not the we as in all the pubs and food outlets.
4. And your club is a paragon of virtue??...I have had too many run ins with SCFC supporters who just because I wear a different shirt to them they think it is OK to have a go even when we have kids with us. I am a supporter of Sale and feck all to do with the running of the club. People like you fan the flames of the hate for Sale...but like you we are just supporters who want to support their team.
5. OK we will take our minor sport out of Stockport...bit of a sad dig from a supporter of a major sport who supports a very a side from the bottom...sorry but you started it.

What ever happens I will still be a Sale supporter as you are a Stockport supporter. You are a troll at best. It's about time you got over it and move on...maybe start by looking in the mirror and looking at where your troubles started. It wasn't with Cheshire Sport/BK/Sale.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and preserved piece BUT to slide across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting

GERONIMO!!!

RIP Marco Simoncelli 20/01/87 - 23/10/2011

Oldham Shark II (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 01:33
'We may appear to be down and out but we are of the same mindset we have been for 7 years or more and we won't give up until you take your minor sport out of Stockport - and you will and then we can all see how long Salford put up with the Sale travellers'

Sale Sharks are the minor sport in Stockport? I suggest you juxtapose the attendance figures scb.

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 07:52
Mozzer, you say that you don't understand why some Sale supporters watch "your precarious position with glee"

I suspect there are few that do. A few probably wish you luck, most almost certainly don't give your position a thought from one month to the next.

But I don't know why you should be surprised that some are happy.

Whether it's those that have been abused in Edgeley on match nights,those who have missed games because of their legitimate fear that when football fans get together to protest there will be trouble, or those who only have to put up with scb's threats and abuse on here, it is hardly surprising if there are some that wish Stockport County ill.

You are generally a voice of sense. Your own reactions on this thread to some posts are out of character over the top and I can only assume that the position has gone from precarious to very precarious and that your response is the natural one to a bad situation.

I am sure that if all SCFC supporters behaved towards us the way you do, we would all wish your team all the very best. But they do not. Even those who choose to post on this website.

scb (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 09:49
Tigger who are you to call me a troll - arrogantsad smiley

Dross is turning up at EP to find the walls plastered with adverts for a rugby game v Leicester - not for the first time
Inspite of all the guff about a working party and despite being told we want to make the ground look like a football ground for football and a Rugby ground for rugby - all empty wasted platitudes

You are not welcome amongst the fans of SCFC or a great deal if not all of the football fans in Stockport - the traders will take your money like anyone elses

You are not a nice club - throwing memorabilia in the skip, denying use of the boardroom, forcing the club to operate from MF, covering up advertising, withholding revenues streams (allegedly) I have to put that in - no you aren't a nice club

Bitter twisted? whatever, but I am honest and consistent and look forward to the day you go elsewhere, let us all see how the relationship develops with other clubs
My advice to SCR is make sure you are the top dog or Sale will trash you

Frodo - Admin should have a look at your insulting and factually incorrect post - no-one anywhere has been threatened or abused - a frank exchange of opinions where i have been insulted far more than I have insulted - I am bitter,twisted and a troll - personal abuse that I have not stooped to - not that I care a jotsmiling smiley

The bigoted mindset and ignorance is more of Sales making than mine. Mozzer is far more considered and articulate than I and yet I often read on here feeble attempts to denigrate him, Woodley shark (that classiest of posters) would rather make some snide cheap dig about him using SMBC resources to post than actually debate the point, but that is because even the simplest of discussion is beyond poor Woodley

I will be doing voluntary work today for my bankrupt club, i have no idea what the future holds for us, but with Sale gone it will become, peversely easier

H's D (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 10:54
"Simpler" scb, not necessarily any easier, especially financially. Have a good day.
winking smiley

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 11:05
EP would make a nice housing site! (Sm100)

Olyy (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 11:06
Unless BK decides to recoup some of his losses by selling EP/the ground EP is on to a supermarket or housing company in which case our leaving makes SCFC's life much harder

Edit: Great minds think alike, RugbyDon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2011 11:07 by Olyy.

H's D (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 11:13
Funny, I tend to take the opposite view, having to fund the manning and maintenance of EP has always been a huge headache for the owners. It's always been difficult to balance the books, especially when on one team plays in it.

Fixed predictable costs for hiring a small stadium that seats a few thousand might be much simpler and less expensive. Far easier to budget for.

scb (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 12:52
Or fools seldom differ Olyy

Have a look at some of the covenants determining any future use of EP!

SMBC will not even consider whispering about the disposal of EP without the future security of SCFC being assured

Unless of course there is no SCFC - something BK may yet achieve

Olyy (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 14:05
But if Kennedy/CS own EP why do SMBC have any say in it?

H's D (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 14:38
There were binding covenants on the school playing fields donated by Lord Vernon in Poynton, scb, there are now plans for private OAP homes approved on half of them.
Your own knowledge of SMBC and it's history should remind you that you cannot rely on such things.
When they won't whisper it's sometimes because they are saying one thing in public and quite another in private behind closed doors.
The future of SCBC might well be said to be "secured" just by the council saying will always allow them to use municipal pitches, rent free if necessary. It all depends which level of football one is talking about.
It's basic economics that might well kill county, just as it could SS.

FyldeShark (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 16:46
There are many solicitors who make a very nice living getting covenants successfully removed.

iBozz (IP Logged)
05 November, 2011 21:27
scb, I repeat my post above ...

Quote:
iBozz
scb, you are yet again confusing Sale Sharks supporters, Sale Sharks the "club"* and Cheshire Sports. (Sm102)

* It's as much a "club" as is a football "club".

What harm have we, as supporters, done to SCFC? We don't put posters up in the ground, we don't put things in skips nor do we do any of the things with which you seem to accuse us.

You may contend that some fans have offended SCFC supporters in the wider community but no more, and probably less I would suggest, than vice versa. I'm sure both clubs have our [small minority] share of those who cannot stand the rights of others to enjoy their respective sports in peace.

Mind you, I've never had any trouble with SCFC supporters myself, whether inside or outside EP.

Please respect the difference between supporters, the club itself, and Cheshire Sports. You may or may not have a valid grievance against CS (and/or SCFC management past and present, and/or the players, and/or team managers, and/or Leonard Curtis, and/or The Trust, and/or many others), but you do not have any valid grievance against the majority of we innocent supporters of Sale.

scrum30 (IP Logged)
06 November, 2011 02:57
spot on ibozz!!!

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
06 November, 2011 08:06
S Silly
C Carping
B Bollix

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

scb (IP Logged)
06 November, 2011 10:09
Wigan Saler - @@@@@@@@!

You are correct Ibozz, I cannot think of a single Sale fan who has ever done anything to harm SCFC other than those that wish us a speedy demise
I can think of a good few employees of Sale who have though

Of course you may be right H'D but lets be honest here it would be highly contentious should SMBC allow development of EP for anything other than sport if the future of SCFC were not assured

Local elections in May

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
06 November, 2011 10:46
Much as I sympathise with the views of SCFC, once Sale Sharks go, the main factors affecting the future of EP are likely to be financial viability and planning consent. The playing facility needs of Sale and Stockport County are best sought elsewhere. As I said before, EP would make a nice housing site!

Hull Shark (IP Logged)
06 November, 2011 11:54
I'm sorry scb, but I wouldn't put any trust in the local council. When in league two your attendances were generally around 6,000, I apologise but whilst following your results this year I am not following your attendance figures, but would presume they are down at least a couple of thousand.

I don't think the future of SCFC would be very high up the agenda when seeking re-election to SMBC. If there was an opportunity to generate jobs by building a housing estate or supermarket on the site that would undoubtedly be a bigger vote winner. Yourself, Mozzer & people on the YB complain about the number of Manchester City fans knocking around Stockport, so I doubt SCFCs future is high on most peoples agenda's in the Stockport area!

Olyy (IP Logged)
06 November, 2011 12:44
2,804 for their last home match
It's the only number I can find on their offy

scb (IP Logged)
06 November, 2011 21:56
Nice to know you care enough to look Olyy

We will overcome - you know it

06 November, 2011 23:54
Sooooooooooooooooooooo.....the blue seats. Perhaps they are merely those yet to be fixed into place, and therefore still encased in their blue polythene wrappers?

Just a thought.

Printerland Annie (IP Logged)
07 November, 2011 10:48
Quote:
Strinesian Saleanian
Sooooooooooooooooooooo.....the blue seats. Perhaps they are merely those yet to be fixed into place, and therefore still encased in their blue polythene wrappers?
Just a thought.

Good thinking! But why have they installed them in such a random order?

07 November, 2011 17:02
Quote:
scb
Of course you may be right H'D but lets be honest here it would be highly contentious should SMBC allow development of EP for anything other than sport if the future of SCFC were not assured
Local elections in May

There is about 250,000 people in Stockport and 2,800 who were at Stockport County on Saturday are going to dicate Council policy. 1.125% of the population, your hilarious.
Just keep believing.

H's D (IP Logged)
07 November, 2011 20:26
There's no better time to get something "highly contentious" through than during a big recession with widespread cutbacks scb.
It's a good time to bury bad news...when everyone has more pressing priorities. All they would need is the offer of a smaller stadium you could share, one with lower costs attached.
How big is their majority likely to be next Spring? Pretty solid with the Tories and Liberals in power? It could, in any case, drag on till after May!
Sleep lightly.

FyldeShark (IP Logged)
07 November, 2011 20:34
WS ... is that 250000 the population eligible to vote or total population? And what proportion vote in local elections? At the 2011 local election in Stockport the turnout ranged from 22-52%, so lets be generous and assume a 40% turnout.
If we take the 2001 census figure of 204K aged 18-74, round it up to 210K to allow for those above 75, this gives a turnout of 84000 across all wards.

Now lets think about the number of positively interested parties, as far as retaining EP as a football ground. Gates are down, due to poor results, not because of a lack of interest, caring or nostalgic whimsey. That figure is going to be easily 10K. So not 1.125% of the population, but rather 12% of the total vote, potentially a major impact on a local vote. Even if we assume that only the 2.800 who turned out at the weekend are players in this is 3.3% of the vote, more than enough to swing things, especially when voter concentrations are brought into the pot.

I think some councillors need to think carefully about their majorities in these matters. I may not just be the SCFC fans who may view the selling off of EP as an anti local heritage thing.

07 November, 2011 22:16
FS using your same rules how many of those in attendence at EP on Saturday, were eligible to vote, i.e U18,away support possibly half the crowd, so we are back to just over 1.1 - 1.3%.If any party were to suggest wasting rate payers money on supporting a non league / privately owned football club in these times, they would get severely beaten in the local elections. Stockport County need to cut their cloth accordingly. They cannot afford to run EP on their own , with crowds that are dwindling, they don't own it and they struggle to meet the rent.Just because they have some who think by rights its theirs, my parents house, where I was brought up has been sold years ago, I have long realised its not mine anymore. Others need to wake up too !

FyldeShark (IP Logged)
07 November, 2011 23:07
Away support was less than 60. The vast majority will have been eligible to vote.

My back of the beer mat figures will have been much closer to reality that yours. In elections small things make differences. Don't forget that each of those county supporters will have several family members, several friends. They will be bringing up the non-political issue frequently, getting "press" that the politicos will not be able to afford (nor justify).

Do not underestimate the effect of a group of people upon the results of a local election

scb (IP Logged)
07 November, 2011 23:08
Over 290,00 in Stockport and whilst crowds are down there is a lot of goodwill towards the towns football club in Stockport and very little for a rugger outfit from a small cheshire village

But your ignorance is beginning to irritate me Woodley and I won't lower myself to say what I think of you, so I will not respond to you again

Happy to meet up for a chat though obviously when you are freesmiling smiley

Mozzer (IP Logged)
08 November, 2011 09:34
Not going to continue the debate, other than to offer a general correction. Frodo - I was saying I do understand why some of your fans dislike us, not that I don't. However I don't think that dislike of us should extend to wishing us the sort of ill I'm seeing from one or two, in the same way that I've taken some of our fans to task for similar views expressed towards others in the past. It is those postings I am reacting to and whilst I generally do try to maintain a level of decorum I'm not going to apologise for reacting to witless baiting of our club and its fans. FWIW I've actually reined myself in a bit from what I wanted to say!

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not here to fight scb's battles - he is well able to do that himself and would not thank me for getting involved in that regard - but whilst we differ on how we view some things, clearly there are areas where we are coming from the same perspective.

It has been before
So it shall be again

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
08 November, 2011 22:57
Quote:
Over 290,00 in Stockport and whilst crowds are down there is a lot of goodwill towards the towns football club in Stockport

scb, the figure of 290,00 you are quoting is for the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport, which is somewhat different to Stockport Town. This has a population of 130,000: still reasonably sizeable. Sale has a population of 55,000: I presume this is the "small Cheshire village" to which you refer.

You really should leave Mozzer to argue the case. He will keep people on board. I'm afraid, scb, you alienate people.

scb (IP Logged)
08 November, 2011 23:20
Good Dave, because i don't want you onboard, you being onboard has got us nowhere - i would prefer you just to go

SMBC are the relevance here, we surely can't debate that? and they represent almost 300,000 people whilst Sale represent 55,000? - not interested Dave, castigate me as much as you care - the people of Stockport who are Red/Blue or County don't want Sale in the borough, County can't abide you, this is self evident, accept it and move on

whisper it also - the council don't much care for you either

No more from me for now - so help yourselves

scrum30 (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 01:46
scb, i live in stockport (so do my family and friends) most of the rugby fans that i meet at sale are from local clubs, stockport,heaton moor burnage,toc h, to name but a few!!
Please do not keep repeating a bigoted view that stockport residents do not like sharks!!
If you bothered to do any research you would find that the vast majority are from STOCKPORT!!
Most of us will be local taxpayers etc who will also have a voice at local elections and I for one hope a deal can be done to help both county and sharks!!

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 05:05
scb,....but you should want the likes of me on board. I first came to Edgeley Park about fifty years ago to Watch Tranmere play your beloved County.

The population's thing is really a total red herring, except that there is a fair sized population to draw from. Arguably Sale has potentially a bigger slice than SCFC because it doesn't have to directly compete with City and United. If you want to see real success in terms of gate against local population have a look at Warrington's figures in Rugby League.

Unfortunately football at County showed its shabby side in the summer with the dismissal of Ray Mathias, who has been a wonderful servant to the game. Now, what has happened to the person who replaced Mathias? Well he has recently resigned. Why? Because SCFC couldn't run a p1ss-up in a brewery. (I don't think SCFC are alone in that, mind you.) That was the case before Sale Sharks arrived and it is still the case now. scb, you need to get to grips with that and stop blaming everyone else.

The truth for football (and it will become so for rugby union) is that local money is no longer enough to support top teams. International money (be it from the USA, Middle East or India) is not interested in the likes of SCFC (or even Everton it would seem - but that's another, even longer, story). People in the main want to be associated with success. I applaud the real fans, like yourself, scb, and Mozzer, who follow their team come what may.

At regards the blue seats at Barton: they are looking more and more attractive but if Tranmere went back to playing Friday nights perhaps I would go there instead. (Four miles and ten minutes from home, rather than fifty miles and an hour plus whatever Barton adds on to that.)

Mozzer (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 09:04
I thought the last time anyone provided any figures you didn't even have a majority of ST holders from an SK postcode, let alone from Stockport. As I recall that was done to prove to me that your Stockport based support was massive. I also recall I got complained about for pointing out that a figure less than 50% was a minority. Admittedly things may have changed on that score (though I bet I'd still get complained about for pointing out facts that don't suit) but that's the best information we've got for the moment.

ST holders are not the whole of the crowd and, as I say, things may have changed since we last did this. However, in terms of crowds, you are of course comparing a team currently at the top level of its sport, nationally, against a team presently in the lower reaches of the 5th tier of its own sport. In the last decade or so we were at the second tier of our sport and crowds then were better than yours last season.

Having engaged in that bit of pointless willy-waving I still think there is a possibility of a future in Stockport for you. Anyone keeping up with events on our board will know that Conduit are potential investors in the 'new ground' thing. My own views on that from our perspective are not relevant here, but in terms of you being involved I can easily see that involving you being bought out and playing in the same new ground as us. Should the Russians buy you then I think Barton is more likely. And if you're not around I suspect that makes a new ground less attractive to Conduit - which clearly has an impact on us. So, even though we're no longer owned by your owner our fates are still very much entwined, as they have been for 8 years.

DaveAitch - you have all of the facts there, but not necessarily in the right order winking smiley The mess with Mathias is a disgrace and 2015 really should hang their heads in shame for yet another gargantuan balls-up (no. 285 in an ongoing series). However once he was here Hamann had a chance. Ultimately he's gone because he wasn't good enough. Whether what made him decide to go was that he realised he was out of his depth, that the Evans consortium takeover wasn't happening or that the club leaned on him to do the right thing is open to conjecture (a bit of all 3 IMHO). But the fact is that he was beconing increasingly isolated as a result of events on the park.

Even soft gets like me who don't seek a head on plate that early in a managerial regime had run out of excuses after Saturday's capitulation from 3-1 up against one of the worst sides we've ever played in a league game. You are right that our owners could not organise a bun-fight in bakery and our season was always likely to be a tough one as a result. But, in fairness, we've got a squad there that should have us comfortably in mid-table. We have been less than the sum of our parts for too long. And we were/are getting worse. In this case, that's down to the manager rather than the owners. Had we been mid-table the TE takeover would almost certainly not have bothered him, 2015 would not have had to lean on him, he wouldn't have cut such a forlorn figure and he could have got on with learning his trade without so much pressure. Cliche-alert, but as well as being a money business, football remains a results business.

It has been before
So it shall be again

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 10:01
These arguements about Stockport County and Sale Sharks are circular, in a bad spirit and counterproductive!

Neither club is a successful commercial enterprise; they both have passionate support and are struggling to sustain their clubs.

Unfortunately, it is inevitable that Sale Sharks are dominant in decision making at EP, due to ownership of the ground, larger spectator support and financial backing.

I well know Stockport County's problems but Sale Sharks' woes are not disimilar, Sale Sharks lose money each year, narrowly escaped dropping out of the Premiersip the last two seasons and, like Stockport have been through recent traumas of losing top players and Coaches. Rugby Union is a difficult game to sustain in the north. I wonder how many realise that Sale Sharks are quite likely to be the only remaining Premiership RU club in the north of England next year! Sale, quite rightly, will make decisions in the best interests of their club. Ambitions are high and, I think, acheivable.

None of this is to 'do down' Stockport County; I have never met anyone who wishes ill of them. Stockport County have their own significant problems to resolve and I wish them well. What could be better than two successful clubs at EP?

Mozzer (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 10:26
Rugbydon - Excellent post and I largely agree with those sentiments. Whilst I take issue with the views expressed by individual posters I do not wish any ill on Sale Sharks, mostly for the reasons you've set out.

I am in a minority of our support in thinking that the two clubs can co-exist (though I don't think they necessarily need to in order to survive). However, I think for that to happen and for more County fans to agree, the ground-sharing arrangements would need to be more equitable than they have been.

It has been before
So it shall be again

09 November, 2011 10:30
Just a point on SMBC and the elections. I'm pretty sure the councellors running will say anything in support of SCFC to get votes and will then completely do a U turn in power and blame someone else...
I live in Stockport and am very pro SCFC as Mozzer knows. Mind you scb is doing his best to alienate me as well...
I have tried for months to get my local councellor to tell me his views on the future of EP, SCFC and how the council can help.... NO SUCCESS... tells you something I suspect.

H's D (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 11:35
Do you do it in writing emerging?
Email/letter addressed to "Councellor *******"?
If so there may be a simple explanation:
When we get applications for work experience from someone who wants to become a "vetinary" or "vetinery" nurse or even "vetrinery" nurse they go straight to the bottom of the pile!
Especially if they are written by their parents! (Sm154)

Mozzer (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 12:14
So if the time comes I should write you a letter asking if my daughter can become a vet? winking smiley

In my experience poor spelling is not confined to those outside the political class...

It has been before
So it shall be again

clutch (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 13:00
Milions of great veterinary nurses in the Mcr area who haven't been employed because they cannot spell. Presumably the animal sadists who can spell get an interview at least?!

H's D (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 13:07
...certainly not, and it does matter!
Your daughter will probably be pushing you round in a wheelchair by then Mozzer! But we'll always have a kennel and a cuppa' available, whilst we interview her!(Sm14)

H's D (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 13:26
Veterinary work experience is grossly oversubscribed clutch.
When you get three applications from the same school for the one position during a specific week, it's a simple way of differentiating.
It's quite competitive. Those that can't be 'bovvered' to use a dictionary stand little chance.
We even get impersonal generic applications sent by mailing services. They also get short shrift.
Those that don't show much interest when they come get sent away. We are not a child minding service.
We tend to be booked up over a year ahead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2011 13:28 by H's D.

Olyy (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 13:38
Quote:
H's D
Veterinary work experience is grossly oversubscribed clutch.
I can vouch for that - When I was doing my Vet school application (which then fell through because me and chemistry don't mix (Sm105)) it was very hard to find a place for work exp. - Luckily I did find one in the end that kept me on for quite a while

Mozzer (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 14:03
Thanks, H's Dad. Nice to know I'll be treated like an animal in my dotage.
[Does some basic maths relating to own age and daughter's age]
Hang on a minute. This is the second thread in two days where I've become the subject of unwarranted grief. How do I contact the Major to complain?

It has been before
So it shall be again

scb (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 17:11
Excellent post Rugbydon - had the owners of Sale also espoused such common decency, professional respect and courtesy at the time of their arrival then we wouldn't be where we are

Have things improved over the years?
No, in m,y opinion they haven't - Brian Kennedy continues to squeeze the life out of us and many of your fans suggests we are the own architects of our downfall, which, although a fair point is overly harsh given the 'deal' that Mr Kennedy has given SCFC

No credible business will invest in SCFC at EP whilst we are still under BK's heel and that goes some way to explaining the disastrous nature of the ownership of the club over the past decade

A good post all the same

09 November, 2011 17:23
HsD, I certainly did put it in an e mail and got an e mail back from the said councellor saying he knew nothing about any developments at EP or to help SCFC, he said if he found anything out he would let me know... probably about 9 months ago...nothing..I might just fire off another e mail.

Thinking Donkey (IP Logged)
09 November, 2011 17:39
A bit of googling produced the following information on average gates

...... County - Sharks

2002/3 - 5488 - 5409
2003/4 - 5314 - 6684
2004/5 - 4999 - 8348
2005/6 - 4772 - 9640
2006/7 - 5514 - 9405
2007/8 - 5642 - 8772
2008/9 - 6129 - 9177
2009/10 - 4420 - 7562
2010/11 - 4163 - 8248
2011/12 - 3364 - 7390

What seems clear (apart from the obvious equation that success on field equals bums on seats) is that both clubs are in the same boat i.e. fighting a trend of declining attendances. Sale's attendances incidentally are in the bottom three or four in the premiership.

Ground share makes absolute sense in this situation as neither club is big enough to go it alone in a meaningful sustainable way. It would be great to think that this could be at EP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 10:33 by Thinking Donkey.

H's D (IP Logged)
10 November, 2011 13:31

Mozzer (IP Logged)
10 November, 2011 15:19
More contemptous piffle about EP that genuflects at the altar of the contemporary 'sports experience'.

Still, we've got our own battles to fight with those who have a similar disregard for things that truly matter.

God, it's depressing.

It has been before
So it shall be again

scb (IP Logged)
10 November, 2011 15:56
Sems fair comment to me Mozzer, EP is dated and in need of some modernisation, nothing has been spent on the ground for the past decade, bar pitch work
The sightlines are@#$%&for rugby and they don't really 'do' ends so I understand where he is coming from

However EP for all its faults is an belting atmospheric throwback to the time when football was a sport worth watching, I fear it will soon begone

Great news all this further talk of Sale moving to Barton, its the monkey of our back that we need, that said is BK just playing one off against the other here?
The timescales involved in what is only a proposed stadium in Stockport suggest Barton (or even The Reebok) may be the easier, cheaper and quicker option

I hope so, but going past Barton this morning the place absolutely stunksmiling smileysmiling smiley

Mozzer (IP Logged)
10 November, 2011 16:20
Of course he's playing a game. You and I both know there's plenty going on with regards to other options. No surprise that the journo who I believe usually reports on Sale writes this sort of thing at this point in time.

It will probably influence those who matter. We, on the other hand, have business of our own to attend to. Too much acceptance of received wisdom and not enough questioning of those who stand to profit at our expense.

It has been before
So it shall be again

H's D (IP Logged)
10 November, 2011 16:44
'plenty going on' - please can you elucidate.
What 'business' are you referring to - new manager bandwagon dismantling/questionning?

scb (IP Logged)
10 November, 2011 22:58
Well amongst many other things H'sD you might care to take a peek at Mick Hogans comments in this evening MEN - sorry i don't have a link
Apparently Sale own the ground and SCFC are their Tenants!!!! - not sure where that leaves CS????

The rest of what he says is absolute garbage as well - but a brief synopsis:- basically we at Sale are just gypos looking for the best deal available with someone else's wonga - and we will say all the right things at all the right times to give the impression we actually give a damn for anyone but ourselves

Good old MH is admaant the deal must be right for SCFC - yep absolutely Mick - we believe yousad smiley
That said coming from someone who recently said you weren't moving, it is hard to deny it is gathering momentumsmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley

The champagne is not yet on ice - but come on Sale!!!!

iBozz (IP Logged)
10 November, 2011 23:08
Quote:
Apparently Sale own the ground and SCFC are their Tenants!!!! - not sure where that leaves CS????

Don't believe all you read in the MEN, scb, they often get things slightly wrong over the legal "ownership" of sale Sharks.

I can't comment about the rest of your assertions.

Would this be the article to which you refer?

H's D (IP Logged)
11 November, 2011 08:11
No iBozz that article which I linked to a few posts up was the reason for Mozzers comments.
I don't think the article scb is referring to is on line.

scb (IP Logged)
11 November, 2011 08:28
That your CEO says such things is more than a little suprising, for years now the Sale counter argument is that we are both tenanats of Cheshire Sports - now your CEO says publically what we all new to be the case, but 'some' weren't prepared to admit

Either way it can only be a positive, a mythical stadium in Stockport as opposed to a reality happening in Barton, I really begin to believe the mother of all Xmas presents is heading my way!!smiling smiley

H's D (IP Logged)
11 November, 2011 09:02
I refer you to the historical accounts of the two companies scb. They confirm we are tenants of CS. So are SCFC. The asset known as EP is within CS's accounts not SS's. CS have to fund the interest payments on the loan secured against it. That's where our rent mostly goes.
I suspect MH is CEO of both CS and SS but I've not seen last years accounts when he first came.
SS are losing quite enough themselves without also taking on the debt associated with SCFC not being able to pay an equitable share of EP financing and running costs.
It could have all changed very recently of course but I doubt it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 09:27 by H's D.

scb (IP Logged)
11 November, 2011 10:10
He is speaking in this instant as CEO of Sale Sharks, as CEO of Cheshire Sports he would surely refer to a potential move to Barton as in the 3rd party - that he may wear 2 hats just further enforces the point debated long and hard on here and elsewhere, that this has never ever been an equitable relationship

Smarter people than me (of which ther are many) on the YB believe it all to be red herring, a poor attempt by your CEO to gee up SMBC in getting this stadium in Stockport built
Stockport residents such as I and many others here are all too familiar with the lengthy timescales involved in any development in Stockport

My money, therefore, is still on Barton

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net