Posted by: Shireshark (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2012 12:58

with 2 counts of verbally abusing match officials. Just seen on Sky Sports News

Re: Dimes charged........
Posted by: Tigger (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2012 14:50

From Sky...

Quote:
Sale Sharks boss Steve Diamond will appear before an RFU disciplinary panel after being charged with two counts of verbally abusing match officials.
Diamond is accused of verbally abusing referee Wayne Barnes and his assistants Rhys Davies and Gareth Copsey at the end of Sunday's Aviva Premiership game between Sale and London Irish at the Madejski Stadium.

Diamond's case will be heard on Tuesday, with Sean Enright set to chair the three-man panel in Stafford.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and preserved piece BUT to slide across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting

GERONIMO!!!

RIP Marco Simoncelli 20/01/87 - 23/10/2011

Posted by: H's Dad.. (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2012 15:12

Quote:
TomTrumps in the comments to an article in the Guardian
Steve Diamond, Sale's executive director of sport, is facing disciplinary action after criticising the referee Wayne Barnes at the end of Sunday's Premiership defeat at London Irish. The Sharks were leading two minutes from the end when they conceded a penalty for wheeling a scrum which was converted to give the home side a two-point victory.
Diamond complained at the after-match media conference that Barnes had turned up at the changing room area before the game "late and flustered" and did not turn out to Sale's liking. "What he wants to do is come to a Premiership coaching session and see that the wheel went out of the game 10 years ago," he said. "We analyse our game and look to improve; I hope referees do the same. They are invited to come to club training sessions, but they must be doing their own training."

Diamond is under the terms of a suspended 12-week ban which was imposed after a touchline altercation at Northampton last November and subsequent television interview. He was ordered to take some media training before the end of the season, and he was warned about the consequences of any more breaches of the conduct regulation.

He was asked by one reporter last Sunday: "You are talking about allegedly one of the world's best referees here, Steven. "Apparently so, yeah," came the reply. "And would he approach a Test match on time or would he have got to a Test match 10 minutes late? Or maybe I am just throwing my bricks out of the pram with that."

He was later interviewed on his own by Neale Harvey, a journalist with the Rugby Paper, who has provided a transcript of the interview.

NH: You are obviously pretty het-up about referees not coming to your training ground, Steve.

SD: No, I'm het-up about consistency and if any referee tells me I've played in thousands of scrums and the way we have the hit and keep our shoulders and binds, you can't wheel a scrum.

NH: Those scrums were solid today.

SD: Exactly why are we going to wheel a scrum with three minutes to go when we're in the lead by a couple of points?

NH: There's been a lot of issues about scrums, but today two teams wanted to scrum, didn't they?

SD: Yeah and he's not there! Their No8 we heard five times through the microphone off the touch judge 'the No8 isn't binding'. He was pushing his locks in, which is illegal. We said to him at half-time he didn't make one penalty assistance there. It was a slingshot (from the No8), but his interpretation was he had enough bind. He was suggesting the bind was sufficient.

NH: What do you do at Sale because all the other clubs well a lot of the clubs say the referees come in and work with them?

SD: Yeah we fill in a report the day after every single game and we make many, many points on that report positive, negative, consistency points and we get feedback. But generally they just agree with everything we write.

NH: You said it's all one way, though?

SD: It is all one way. It's all our way to them. If we were to do a time and motion study on our hourly rates on what our coaches spend on looking at the referee well, we should employ them!

NH: What response do you get from Ed (Elite referees boss Ed Morrison) and Tony (Spreadbury)?

SD: The response is good but it's at the very, very top where this needs to be done. The standard of refereeing look at the guy today, he's got a belly on him running round the pitch!

NH: That's Wayne Barnes you're talking about!

SD: I know it is. He's still got a belly and he's turned up 10 minutes late. You know what he says to us when I said 'where've you been?' I said 'would you treat a Test match the same?'. He said 'I've been upstairs having lunch'. @#$%& fantastic! That's what he said to me. I'd been upstairs waiting for him when he came jogging in.

NH: You're kidding?

SD: No, I'm not. Quote it!

NH: Are we on the record?

SD: Yeah!

Posted by: MGS Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2012 15:29

There will be one or two things to come out of this.

1) Dimes will get the 12 week ban from last time and some for this misdemeanor .
2) Referees, whether they admit to it or not, will now approach Sale games with these comments in the back of their mind and marginal calls will go against us.

As has been said before, the IRB need to sort this out by making the laws black and white with much less room for interpretation than there is currently - prime example, Warburton's red card in the SF with some worse 'tackles' going unpunished.

Date: 12 January, 2012 15:57

The problem is Warburton's red was a ref going by the letter of the law rather than using a bit more common sense.
Therein lies the problem.
I can see a lot more injustices occurring unless a ref can continue to use his judgment/interpretation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 16:36 by H's Dad...

Posted by: Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2012 18:11

Am I missing something? ~ the Guardian article seems to me to be suggesting that SD has been charged because he criticised Barnes however the charges appear to be for verbally abusing the officials at the match which is a rather differnt thing???

Posted by: DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2012 18:14

I thought the law came in because the common sense view was that someone would be badly injured by that sort of tackle. The non-common sense view is to then decide to ignore the law, as many other referees appear to have done. Every decision has an element of judgement and interpretation, and that will continue no matter what.

Posted by: emerging shark (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2012 18:47

I'm not sure I agree with MGSShark, reverse psychology.. maybe decisions will go for us.. think about it...
The most disturbing comment was 'he's got a belly on him running round the pitch'.. I can think of lots of Goode players with a belly on them...
No pleasant reading that interview..

Posted by: Nick Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2012 19:37

It did say, about the suspended 12 week ban that it would come into effect if a similar offence occur, could Diamond suggest that it was not similar? just hoping.
If the RFU go with the president set when they charged Budge Poutney, when he was at Northampton Saint about 5+ years ago, then the sentence would possible be 12 week touchline ban, with no contact with the players on matchday. Add on to the the suspended 12 week ban = 24 week ban.

Posted by: stevene (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2012 20:41

it does seem to me that the RFU, rather wisely from the transcript above, have decided not to charge dimes from his comments to the media. however they have obviously decided that he is due a charge with what he said directly to the officials after the match. if he was abusive then he deserves everything he gets (which will be a 12 week+ touchline ban) irrespective of how Barnes conducted himself prior and during the match.

However, and this is a big however, if the transcript truly reflects Barnes conduct before the match. eg turning up 10 mins before the match after just eating lunch prior to 80 minutes of physical exertion officiating a match then Barnes conduct should also be reviewed and action taken (demotion for a number of weeks, fitness tests). Completely very unprofessional IMO by Barnes if this is accurate.

Will the first bit happen?? 99% certain it will with Blackett involved.

the latter? with Ed and Tony the chuckle brothers in charge 99% certain it won't.

two wrongs don't make a right but if thats a true reflection of the events then you can understand why dimes reacted the way he did. not justified but certainly understandable.

Posted by: P A B (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2012 21:34

Whats really wrong is that RU still has ridiculous laws that give sides a possible 3 pts for technical offences. How can wheeling a scrum be a direct pen ? Similalarly 'crossing' an indirect pen NOT a kickable one. Entering a ruck from the side... The list is v long. Until the IRB sort this out then games can be won & lost by the last bizarre decision. Has that 'pen' been indirect one & had LI conjured up a spectacular passing move to score a try, there would be no complaints. But because its a kick we all get wound up. If you think I am being 'blue eyed' then anyone sat near me knows I always say it was harsh when Sale get a gift 3 pts from any of these decisions in games at EP. I just like to see the side that plays the best rugby win the game. a good example being Tiggers at EP this season, it hurt at the time, but they deserved the win.

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2012 00:01

Wheeling a scrum isn't a technical offence, it's cheating.

Not saying that Sale deliberately wheeled that scrum, just a general point.

The problem is that all of those offences if committed deliberately represent a concerted effort to cheat, unfortunately for two of them, whether it accidental or not, the result is the same - penalty. The odd one out of course is the scrum wheel, if that happens accidentaly then we just play on, until it goes 90 degrees

http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/2451156279081.gif
We are the angry mob. We read the papers every day. We like who we like, we hate who we hate, but we're also easily swayed.

Posted by: TheDoctor (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2012 10:33

He is a very silly boy. Like Venter at Saracens before him, he will not manage to change the RFU, he will just get cut down. There are ways and means to effect change and along the way one must fight the battles one can win. Shouting your mouth off like this only brings trouble and tends to cause those who may have supported you to shy away.

No fan of Dimes though, after his attempts to turn Saracens into London Sale a few years back. As soon as it gets really bad he'll be on his way again. Either to another club, or fully up into the boardroom on high and Sale will be looking for another coach. Again.

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2012 13:09

He isn't a coach now. Hanks does all the day to day coaching.

Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2012 14:22

for a non coach, he spends a lot of time talking/cajoling/selecting/substituting and generally beign around players.

Date: 13 January, 2012 14:29

It is his job to talk, cajol, push opposition coaches, abuse officials etc, but he isn't doing the coaching from I understand.

Hanks is Head Coach, Scott is forwards coach

Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2012 14:29

That's because he's still director of rugby until the end of the month.

Date: 13 January, 2012 16:56

Quote:
Olyy
That's because he's still director of rugby until the end of the month.

Is he not continuing in that role as well as taking on the CEO position?

Posted by: Gandalfzz (IP Logged)
Date: 13 January, 2012 17:28

Olyy SD is Director of Sport as well as CEO

GOSin support of what you say, yes he is.

I am anyones equal, but no ones superior

Date: 13 January, 2012 18:16

Gand, I was just about to point that out, but you've beaten to it by fifty minutes. I am still wondering why he was given that epithet though.

Date: 13 January, 2012 21:01

No one knows?

Date: 14 January, 2012 22:03

What's in a title? means sod all..

Posted by: Rugbydon (IP Logged)
Date: 14 January, 2012 22:46

Dimes desperately wanted to be CE. He will be good at it.
However there's no way he's not going to be continually involved in 'directing the rugby'.

He also appears to be rather good at 'PR'. I know Swanny is working hard behind the scenes, but I can hardly remember a day since he arrived when Sale didn't get a mention in the MEN. He's got some work to do to get the attention of the Dailys and the BBC; it took me some time to get todays Sale game score!

He won't stay for ever, nobody does, but he's doing OK so far.

Date: 15 January, 2012 00:04

Rugbydon .. where you been? You will find he has got the attention of the Daily's over the last 10 days..

Date: 15 January, 2012 11:13

He's certainly hit the spot with todays Rugby Paper(15 Jan)

Page 3 "Diamonds blast at Barnes 'will turn referees off the game' "

Page 7 Letters
Page 7 Colin Boag "Diamond loses sparkle with such crass comments"

Other Sharks news in RP

Page 18 La Vila report
Page 20 ...Brady has Hanley thinking....
Page 39 Feature on Will Cliff

Date: 15 January, 2012 11:28

Emerging Shark, I'm obviously reading the wrong papers!

Date: 15 January, 2012 11:32

What is Hanley thinking about re Brady?

Posted by: SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 January, 2012 13:53

Surprised at the RP using an IT man to write such an opinionated blog. I must admit I had not heard of Colin Boag and indeed he has never been to EP and is not on the accredited list of journalists held by the RFU and Prem Rugby I am advised.
My fellow Media Managers who I have managed to contact advise that he hasn't visited their grounds either so he is not waht I would call 'up to speed' with the game.
With regard to media coverage in the Nationals we are more than punching our weight (according to the agency used by Premier Rugby) indeed in league table form we would have home advantage in the play offs(Sm14)

Date: 15 January, 2012 17:18

There you go RugbyDon, Swanny has just confirmed that 'he has not got a lot of work to do to get the attention of the Dailys, he already has'..

Date: 15 January, 2012 19:56

SwannyMedia Man

Perhaps you can read the latter part of the third post on this thread by posted by H's Dad. In the latter part this quotes VERBATIM an interview Neale Harvey had with Steve Diamond after the game in question, which SD agrees is ON THE RECORD.

Colin Boag works for the very same paper, RP, as Neale Harvey and so has probably based his article on the contents in this very same article. SD said "Quote it" and agreed that the interview was"ON THE RECORD"

So how come and by what logical procedure can you view this as opinionated? When it appears to have been made on recorded facts.

The fact CB has never been to EP has nothing to do with it at all.

Talk about "smoke and mirrors"

However it does appear he is "up to speed" with his comments.

I was an IT man so I trust you will allow me to post this. Let me know please if you consider it opinionated too.

Kind regards.

Date: 15 January, 2012 20:14

Very interesting.. now then Swanny, why do you have to visit the grounds to be 'up to speed with the game'?
If you have not heard of Colin Boag (I have) then how do you know he is an IT man? You make it sound as if IT men can't write a piece..
Isn't 'opinionated' what we all write including yourself and all other journalists? I haven't read the piece but sounds like you don't like it..

Date: 15 January, 2012 20:53

There is a subtle difference posting on a fans forum to writing as a journalist in a paid for paper. I did my research on Boag ringing up a few journos who's opinion i respect and his weekly pieces appear to be opinionated. Prem Rugby have gone to great lengths to make sure all journos and photographers are now fully accredited to cover the game at the top level.

Date: 15 January, 2012 21:23

Fair enough Swanny, I take your point... but opinionated... we all are...

Date: 15 January, 2012 21:28

cheers Es. Must move on now busy day tomorrow. Its going to be tough too

Date: 15 January, 2012 21:36

I think Colin Boag used to be the editor of the Gloucester Fanzine the Shedhead.. Alway's public enemies no 1 are Fanzine editors as i can testify...

Date: 15 January, 2012 22:55

"Prem Rugby have gone to great lengths to make sure all journos and photographers are now fully accredited to cover the game at the top level."

Is the list of the acredited journalists and photographers avaialable?

Date: 16 January, 2012 08:16

It is an internal document for PRL and Club use only.As is the RFU list. It contains emails, phone numbers etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2012 09:02 by SwannyMediaMan.

Date: 16 January, 2012 08:46

Essentially so I would have thought, or the lesser known ones would be impersonated.
But obviously since he wrote for the rugby paper Boag had graduated to become a journalist proper.
We'll see whether his opinion was well-founded once the verdict and sentence (if any,) becomes public.

Date: 16 January, 2012 09:02

Swanny, thanks. It was mainly from the photographers side of things I was asking. The journalists always seem to get their name attached the photographers seldom do.

Date: 16 January, 2012 09:06

Dave
We often help out with students wanting to become photographers if they want to take pictures. indeed we have helped people connected to this site and will continue to do so.
We also offer help to students wanting to become journalists by offering work/gameday experience.

Date: 16 January, 2012 09:23

Swanny, I have noted that you have given some non-professionals the chance to get up close - the photographers are the more easily visible. Well done to the club for its work on that front.

Date: 16 January, 2012 09:30

Thanks Dave, we will help where we can

Date: 16 January, 2012 10:14

Emerging Shark, I've been told!
However I'm delighted to read Swanny's comments which are always interesting and informative. We don't hear enough of him these days.
Maybe he can throw a little light on the proposed transport provisions at Barton Stadium for supporters next season.
(Sm136)

Date: 16 January, 2012 10:18

Nothing to report re stadium moves.

Date: 16 January, 2012 10:25

Thanks Swanny, it was the answer I expected.
I think SS are aware of the issues raised in these columns!
No doubt answers will emerge in due course.
I've managed to get most of the rust off my bike!

Date: 16 January, 2012 10:33

I regularly read the board and share anything interesting with the clubs officials.

Posted by: Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2012 11:01

Quote:
SwannyMediaMan
Nothing to report re stadium moves.

Perhaps that's because nothing can move around the stadium (Sm13)

Posted by: LPCWOOKIE (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2012 12:07

Just seen a press release hearing postponed new date to be announced in due course.

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/7699/wookie8ec.jpg
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Date: 17 January, 2012 12:24

Link:
[www1.skysports.com]

Wasn't Andy Powell cited, then they said the hearing was to be set at a later date and then it just never happened (Sm105)
Maybe the Northern branch of the RFU have a very poor filing system.

Posted by: mramnesia (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2012 21:51

Colin Boag aka 'cir mhor' a regular contributor on the Shedweb Forum.

[colinboagsblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: MikeGC (IP Logged)
Date: 02 February, 2012 18:33

Quote:
twitter

salesharksMEN neil leigh
Dimes' disciplinary hearing now re-scheduled for Wednesday, February 15
3 hours ago

salesharksMEN neil leigh
Hearing to be held in Coventry of all places.
3 hours ago

Date: 02 February, 2012 20:31

Well that's apt Mike... maybe he be sent to Coventry...as a punishment..

Date: 15 February, 2012 20:52

Any news?

Posted by: VivaLaRevolucion (IP Logged)
Date: 15 February, 2012 22:07

An 18 week ban and a 4000 fine it seems. The ban is set to end on the 20th June so that will obviously rule him out until the end of the season. Seeing as he has now moved to his CEO position, it's unclear how much affect this will really have I guess.

Date: 15 February, 2012 22:13

Do you know what he's banned from?

Presuming he can still work with the team during the week (as/when his schedule allows) I can't see how it will make that much of a difference - especially if they can get a speaker phone for halftime b*ll*ckings from him!

Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)
Date: 15 February, 2012 22:30

Posted by: MGS Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 15 February, 2012 22:30

Offy says

"entering the playing enclosure, technical area, approaching Match Officials and communicating or attempting to communicate with Match Officials before, during and after the game on the day of the match".

Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)
Date: 15 February, 2012 22:45

They've started a campaign in NZ to get Dimes a knighthood.

I suppose he could give half-time bollockings by sign language. He only needs to learn two signs and one of those is in a rugby song.

Date: 15 February, 2012 23:21

Dimes was charged with:

RFU Rule 5.12 which covers "conduct prejudicial to the interests of the Union and/or the Game".

It occurs to me that the match officials may have been equally guilty...

Posted by: WiganSaler (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2012 07:21

Not sure Dimes will be to phased by this, he'll probably get a better view of the game sitting higher in the stand than down near the touchline anyway. It is still beyond my ken how anyone can assess a game from the touchline.

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

Date: 16 February, 2012 08:06

Quote:
WiganSaler
It is still beyond my ken how anyone can assess a game from the touchline.

Presumably with the aid of a laptop video feed?

Posted by: Printerland Annie (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2012 09:44

It hasn't even made the 'front page' of the Offy website. The main headline is the announcement of a 'Sale Guide to Twitter Event'!! Excellent example of burying bad news.

Posted by: Printerland Annie (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2012 12:54

The Dimes story is now relegated to fourth place on the Offy, after ticket sales for the Wasps game, see the under-18s at Fylde and the aforementioned Twitter event. At this rate, it will have droped off the page completely by this afternoon!

Date: 16 February, 2012 13:21

DS as a media professional is adept at 'burying'less good news!

Posted by: Mozzer (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2012 13:40

It's on the front page of the Guardian's sports page and has been all morning.

Slightly tangental, but seeing as he's one of yours, you may interested in Mark Cueto's views on England which cover, briefly, the WC, his future prospects and the 6N: Breakdown.

A rush and a push and the land that we stand on is ours
It has been before
So it shall be again
And people who are uglier than you and I
They take what they need, and just leave

Posted by: Chopper (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2012 13:41

Give the guy an effin medal ! He right, there are some refs who take their role far more seriously than this guy did.......

Who eats a meal before a game anyway !

Grrrrr

[www.stumbleupon.com]
Follow me on Twitter [twitter.com]
Network with me on Linkedin [uk.linkedin.com]
http://www.theboardroomwilmslow.com/images/tapandgosmall.jpg

Posted by: Mr lumpy (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2012 16:06

All matches should be recorded and then played back to the officials with the clubs and RFU representatives present when there is a dispute.The outcome should be made public so that there are no disputes regarding the outcome.The fact that peoples livelihood comes down to an opinion really needs to be assessed.Technology must surely be brought in to help everyone.

Posted by: thekeg (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2012 16:50

Quote:
Mr lumpy
All matches should be recorded and then played back to the officials with the clubs and RFU representatives present when there is a dispute.The outcome should be made public so that there are no disputes regarding the outcome.The fact that peoples livelihood comes down to an opinion really needs to be assessed.Technology must surely be brought in to help everyone.

Not sure how technology would assist with a wheeled scrum. I'm not sure I even accept SD's view that the wheeled scrum has gone out of the game. With a minute to go a wheeled scrum is still a potential delaying tactic as if you have to keep re-setting the scrum the clock ticks away, even if the opposition keep hold of the ball.

Can't understand why anyone would think it is acceptable to make those comments about a ref in a press conference, whatever his views are they should be vented through the proper channels.

Posted by: Mr lumpy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2012 10:13

The cameras show when a scrum is going straight or not and it can be pretty obvious to anyone if a team are deliberately pulling a scrum around same as binding on a players arm which always appears to be ignored.

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net