rugbyunion
Latest News:

CHAOS
Rugbydon (IP Logged)
22 March, 2012 17:04
This Site is currently looking like a bombsite:
About 20 'live' threads & approx 500 posts!
Lots of erudite considered views but mixed up between overlapping topics.
I would like clarity on the one issue which IMHO will affect all of us most:

"Would Sale Sharks please make a formal statement to their supporters on how we are all going to get to Barton"!

We all support Dimes and BK in their ambitions on the rugby field. Next season we should be looking to:
* Be in the top 4 of the Premiership
* Be in the HC
* Be attracting around 10k crowds

The Stadium currently struggles to get 5k supporters to & from the Reds Friday night games.
The (part) WGIs won't be complete for 3 years.

SIMPLE STRAIGHTFORWARD QUESTION!
SIMPLE STRAIGHTFORWARD ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE!

Re: CHAOS
scb (IP Logged)
22 March, 2012 17:54
They are yet to inform you, the supporters, that you are actually going to Barton - nor even Stockport County who's ground they have being utilising for the past 9 years

Still there is very little chance of any professional courtesy being extended the way of SCFC at this late stage, it would be a first

You will get told eventually I guess

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
22 March, 2012 18:10
Quote:
You will get told eventually I guess

That soon?

scb (IP Logged)
22 March, 2012 19:33
Hopefully, DS always tells you how important you the fans are!!

It is suprising all the same, how little you have heard, lets hope for all your sakes that you don't go all the way in replicating the football culture that has alienated so many of us

P A B (IP Logged)
22 March, 2012 21:40
Perhaps they can also suggest where to park apx 3000 cars. assuming 9K at game with 1K walking/using tram/bus etc.

mako (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 01:05
Rubydon,

Here's the reason why we won't be getting any answer from the management or their PR men.

In the midst of a mutal admiration session between the club's PR handout man and supposedly fearless and independent journalist Neil Leigh contained in Neil Leigh Twitter , Dave Swanton gives away just what the club thinks about the dedicated fans who have chosen to express their sincerely held feelings in this forum:

Quote:
20 Mar Dave Swanton Dave Swanton ‏ @SwannyMediaMan "Just had a brew and a biscuit reading some fans forums. Geez what planet are these people on? Also what are they inhaling?" #wiredtothemoon neil leigh neil leigh ‏ @salesharksMEN "They've just finished watchin' Jeremy Kyle!!" .......... 20 Mar Dave Swanton Dave Swanton ‏ @SwannyMediaMan · Open @salesharksMEN "Has it finished?" neil leigh neil leigh ‏ @salesharksMEN Close @SwannyMediaMan "Men in white coats have come to take 'em away again"

J Moon (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 01:34
Stuff like that riles me to read.

I must say this does all have an us against them mentality to it. I like Swanny, he used to be on my facebook. But he has been known for making the occasional sly comment towards the fans on certain sites and I don't care if I get into trouble for that.

While we're on the subject, without naming any names, this place does seem to be very quiet on the front of certain people who are either part of the SSSC or attend the away games very frequently. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they got told what was happening weeks ago but have been told to keep it all quiet.

If I'm honest I've calmed down a bit since the other day. As I imagine others have. I still don't think I'll be as big a supporter as I was but I still wish success for the club, whatever the name, whatever the location. Reading comments like that, however malicious or not they may be does take the mick a bit.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 07:08
mako, it doesn't surprise me at all.

There are people who inhale the happy gas, who think their views are normal. That cuts all ways, through all groups, and this "club" will be no exception. The more the "club" becomes a "club" the more it will think its views are normal, right, accepted and acceptable.

addendum: just to add in, I am meaning all groups with in a club fit into this. One tends to gravitate naturally to people of like minded views, which re-enforces those views.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/03/2012 08:16 by DaveAitch.

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 09:16
mako shark, I know I won't get any answer from Dimes, never mind a straight answer. I just want to 'rack up' the embarrassment that I hope they feel for ignoring the people who pay their wages.

There are two reasons why they won't/can't reply:
1 For the reasons you give.
2 Because there isn't an answer.

'There isn't an answer' because there is no way that 10,000 supporters can get there in reasonable time, convenience or cost! Why haven't they taken that into account? Because either:
1 They haven't bothered to find it out!
2 They don't care since their money will primarily come from other means, eg: Hospitality!

Either way I'm very @#$%& off! (Sm123)

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 09:28
Quote:
Rugbydon
mako shark, I know I won't get any answer from Dimes, never mind a straight answer. I just want to 'rack up' the embarrassment that I hope they feel for ignoring the people who pay their wages.

mmmmm I must have imagined sitting in front of Dimes on Tuesday night asking him questions on the Barton move and getting straight answers as well.

As to ignoring those who pay his wages I can't imagine him being so rude to Ian Blackmore and Brian Kennedy...

Shark in Exile (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 10:06
"20 Mar Dave Swanton Dave Swanton ‏ @SwannyMediaMan "Just had a brew and a biscuit reading some fans forums. Geez what planet are these people on? Also what are they inhaling?" #wiredtothemoon neil leigh neil leigh ‏ @salesharksMEN "They've just finished watchin' Jeremy Kyle!!"

Think it sums up quite nicely what a "business" think about the supporters. This kind of thing may have a few more considering whether to renewal their season tickets next year.

iBozz (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 10:11
Quote:
mako shark
Rubydon,
Here's the reason why we won't be getting any answer from the management or their PR men.

In the midst of a mutal admiration session between the club's PR handout man and supposedly fearless and independent journalist Neil Leigh contained in Neil Leigh Twitter , Dave Swanton gives away just what the club thinks about the dedicated fans who have chosen to express their sincerely held feelings in this forum:

Quote:
20 Mar Dave Swanton Dave Swanton ‏ @SwannyMediaMan "Just had a brew and a biscuit reading some fans forums. Geez what planet are these people on? Also what are they inhaling?" #wiredtothemoon neil leigh neil leigh ‏ @salesharksMEN "They've just finished watchin' Jeremy Kyle!!" .......... 20 Mar Dave Swanton Dave Swanton ‏ @SwannyMediaMan · Open @salesharksMEN "Has it finished?" neil leigh neil leigh ‏ @salesharksMEN Close @SwannyMediaMan "Men in white coats have come to take 'em away again"

Public utterances like that are beneath contempt and show just what CS think of true supporters with genuine concerns, however they may be expressed.

And it's good to know just how independent the MEN really is, assuming that salesharksMEN is indeed that paper.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s38/smilies-17395.png

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Mozzer (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 10:26
I am surprised anyone is surprised. It's not like we've not discussed this before on these pages. People should look at Ryanair and see that they have just decided to dispense with the silky PR front. Underneath it all, they're pretty much all the same. And as has been clear for some time now, RU has mostly dispensed with what was actually the 'USP' that is the holy grail for these people.

Customers are ten a penny. Fans cost much more. The thing is, fans have a much longer shelf life and the false economy will eventually catch up with itself.

This story is old, I know. But it goes on.

A rush and a push and the land that we stand on is ours
It has been before
So it shall be again
And people who are uglier than you and I
They take what they need, and just leave

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 13:20
Gordon 1974, Dimes did not answer the question on access on Tuesday night. He said Sale will put buses on from Cheshire Towns if needed and stated that the WGIs (part) is out to tender!

The WGIs will not be in place for several years and the full scheme some years beyond that Also the tram seems uncertain.

Dedicated buses are welcome but as H's D and others have estimated they are hardly going to touch the problem.

If you want to understand the reasons for concern, read the numerous posts under various threads on the issue! If SS had engaged with their supporters 5 months ago when this kicked off the outcome IMHO would have been quite different.

The bulk of Sale Sharks' income comes from their supporters one way or another. BK wants to achieve a break-even next season.

Dimes has now agreed to come down off his high horse and talk to supporters over the name change but I tend to agree with others that this is a smoke screen for embarrassment over the Barton problems.

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 14:20
Rugbydon,

He did say that the A57 work to move the round about and put in a dual carriageway would start in August and be completed in 12 months. Furthermore he also indicated that one of the problems at the moment was the poor traffic management system on leaving Barton after a game, which he was adamant that the club could manage better. He also indicated that many lessons would be learnt by the experiences of Salford Reds throughout the season

Considering how much has been said on on this forum I am very much surprised more people from here weren't at the event last week. They would then been able to say everything they have written here to his face.....

Joe90 (IP Logged)
23 March, 2012 14:30
I'm sorry J Moon, but you're barking up the wrong tree there. Members of the SSSC were told nothing about any of this earlier than the rest of the supporters. We found out about it when everyone else did - so no conspiracy theories or smoking guns I'm sorry to say ....

iBozz (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 09:47
Mako, it seems to me that the job of any PR man is to lie and the job of any pressman is to see through the lies and publish the truth.

For that, a degree of objectivity is required.

I'm not suggesting that this means that the two camps should be mortal enemies, but a reasonable distance is surely necessary - a bit like solicitors or accountants and their clients.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

clutch (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 11:08
Perhaps he was talking about another fans forum!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 11:36
The club would be happy with its supporters if only you'd all just agree with them.

I use you, and not we, because I am advised that I'm not a fan because I only attend games live very occasionally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2012 11:37 by MartWhit.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 23:37
Mart i'm sure we have had this before.. Fan: an ardent admirer of a pop group or a football(rugby) team... or 'a device for creating air'..
I'm sure you fit the bill !!!(Sm42)

SandDancerShark (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 21:19
I sit with approx 10 other ST holders, and at half time on Friday night I asked them all if they were going to renew their ST's, 9 men and 1 women all gave the same answer, pay for first home game a see, if a disaster, cherry pick and or watch rugby on the Television. Biggest reason? Most of us just make the kick time at EP as we work until 5pm. The journey to the ground is the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2012 21:20 by SandDancerShark.

H's D (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 21:38
Why didn't you ask and post that last September SandDancer?
Ive been putting such impressions of fellow supporter intentions up for the last 9 months, but few others have!

If a few more of us had................sad smiley

iBozz (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 21:49
OK, H's D - the three to my left won't be going to Barton, nor will the one to my right.

The one where I sit is undecided as public transport really is a major issue.

SB14 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 21:57
I won't be going nor will my son and 8 of his mates. Four other people who I introduced to the game during our last season at Heywood Road will no longer be going either.

Staffskeef (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 16:31
Booked our tickets for this friday Salford v Wigan on line to see what the ground's like. Decide I want to try it because enjoy rugby occassion/ night too much to be put off watching Sale (esp Ritchie Gray etc) without seeing what it's like.

Number8 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 09:05
Quote:
SandDancerShark
Most of us just make the kick time at EP as we work until 5pm. The journey to the ground is the problem.

If we do move, who said we would be playing on a Friday night?

H's D (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 09:09
Dimes. 2/3 of the time apparently. 1/3 sometime on Saturday.

iBozz (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 09:11
Indeed he did, at the depressingly under-attended SSSC Quiz Night last week.

H's D (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 10:14
Why bother to challenge Putin?

iBozz (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 10:32
Rasputin, surely? grinning smiley

Apathy will get us nowhere, H's D.

Mind you, maybe neither will taking an interest, but to learn is better than to remain in ignorance - or so my long suffering teachers tried to tell me.

And yes, I know all about spin, PR and other modern day ills (why can't people just tell the truth, except to HMRC and The Vice Squad, of course). Why this pathetic obsession with obfuscation that besets so much of life these days?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 11:43
Newcastle supporter here.

I just popped over here to see if there would be any banter up for grabs before Friday night & now I am utterly depressed.

Something has obviously gone horribly wrong. I used to quote this message board as an example of how well a club could get on with its supporters, the communication from Dave Swanton was superb, it all worked so well for the benefit of both club & supporters.

You have my sympathy, you must all feel like the club couldn't give a toss about you, certainly no feeling of being valued supporters or an essential part of the club.

We may be taking a year out, bit of a sabbatical, some time off. If we do I hope things are sorted out by the time we get back. There has always been a good relationship between Sale & Newcastle, as fellow supporters we don't like to see you so demoralised.

Wishing you all the best of luck for the future.

Printerland Annie (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 12:01
Thanks, Monkey1

It's nice to know that somebody cares about us (and I am saying this is all sincerity).

The best of luck to the Falcons for the rest of the season (but not on Friday!). If the worst happens, I for one hope to see you bounce straight back into the AP.

SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 12:21
I am still around and check on the board from time to time, mainly when I can.
I will if the consensus of opinion on here want me to return on a more regular basis, but I stopped posting as often as I did as it’s a supporters board at the end of the day and it was pointed out to me there were things I shouldn’t be commenting on. Fair enough.
I am always available on
Tel 0161-286-8915
Email dave.swanton@salesharks.com
If you ask a question and I can answer it I will, if not as I always have done I will see if I can find the answer and come back to you.
Anyway enough from me, if you want me to participate more let me know and I will, if not, again, let me know and I will keep my nose out.

H's D (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 13:05
Any more info available on the "Major announcement" Swanny.
Are you permitted to elucidate why it was postponed?
The 31st isn't so far away now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/03/2012 13:06 by H's D.

28 March, 2012 13:10
The major announcement was postponed not cancelled and we should hopefully be in a postion to announce the rescheduled date very soon (days)

I can't go into detail why it was postponed sorry

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 13:11
Quote:
H's D
Why bother to challenge Putin?

I am sure you are right. I did have something on last Tuesday, but could have got around it if I thought there was any point.

I suppose this also makes discussion of the roof a waste of time. I did wonder whether Mozzer might have any comments on the "Premier League Audit" thread but he seems to have been "away" until today and so now I don't know whether he thinks it not worth discussing or whether he hasn't seen it because it's dropped so far down the list.

Monkey1 thank you for your kind comments

Swanny, I was certainly disappointed when you disappeared from this board. When the Fans Forum disappeared too, and the Sale/ County forum never got off the ground it did seem as though you were being less publicly accessible, though I acknowledge that you are always available for a "one to one"
I think it would be good to have you back on here more often.

Going back to the HsDs comment that I started this with, perhaps the CEO is not quite as entrenched as we all think.

[online.wsj.com]

H's D (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 13:12
Thank you.

28 March, 2012 13:17
Thanks Frodo

I work closely with Stockport County as a club and also speak to their supporters when they get in touch.

As I said earlier if the consesus is that you the fans want me back on here to answer questions I will do but I am also aware its a fans board for debate too.

H's D (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 13:32
Awwwwwwww go on then, we miss you!(Sm93)

iBozz (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 13:50
I think you should come back, Swanny.

We may not always have seen eye to eye, and as you well know the relationship between us has been somewhat exciting from time to time, nor do I expect that we shall always see eye to eye in the future, but part of your job title is Supporter Liaison and we are supporters - love us or loathe us.

There are those, with whom I disagree strongly, who call this The Negativity Board. Well, it is partly your absence which causes a perception like that. When rumour or speculation starts, it only gets "worse" if there is no correction or comment from the Club or wherever.

Unlike some of the posters on here, I don't expect us to be told every single detail of every single development and I, and am sure most others, would be happy with a comment along the lines of yours above: I can't go into detail ... sorry

I mean look at the amazing response that reply generated from young H's D! Not what you would normally expect, surely! grinning smiley

I know you have been attacked personally in the past (but then most of us have received a drubbing on here, but not to the sustained level you sometimes seem to have suffered) and I would urge some posters to express their views a tad more moderately, but weather the storm, ignore the t*ssers (me as well, if you feel that I fall into that category) - but get back posting.

As a PR man, I would expect you to have the skin of an armour-plated rhinoceros.

iBozz (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 13:51
Quote:
H's D
Awwwwwwww go on then, we miss you!(Sm93)

Yuk!

RebelShark (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 15:47
(Sm125)Come back Swanny.............. This could be the right time for a new poll!!

Mozzer (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 16:09
Is this:
a) Funny
b) Hilarious
c) Side-splitting
d) Beyond description

To which I will add this link.

It has been before
So it shall be again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/03/2012 16:13 by Mozzer.

Printerland Annie (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 16:15
I certainly would like to see you back on this board, Swanny. As people have said, the lack of any information from the club leads to all sorts of speculation, some of which may be ill-founded.

Those of us who work/have worked in a business environment are well aware that 'I am unable to comment at this stage' can sometimes be the only response at a given point in time but at least it is a response and we won't feel that we are being totally ignored.

So, please come back!

H's D (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 16:37
It would appear Neil Leigh is worthy of an exclusive.

Quote:
Neil Leigh in the MEN
The club had originally called a press conference for today leading to speculation that an agreement had been struck between the Sharks and ground owners Peel Holdings and Salford City Council.
However, that was then cancelled and it is understood the finer details of any potential tie-up with Salford City Reds, who have already moved in at Barton, are still being scrutinised.

Read more at: [menmedia.co.uk]

Mozzer (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 16:41
He is off-message.

Postponed, not cancelled, Neil. Please copy and paste more carefully next time.

It has been before
So it shall be again

SandDancerShark (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 18:09
Quote:
H's D
Why didn't you ask and post that last September SandDancer?
Ive been putting such impressions of fellow supporter intentions up for the last 9 months, but few others have!

If a few more of us had................sad smiley

Sorry H's D but the impact of Barton had not really surfaced last September, It was really a question borne out of frustration last Friday. The answers did surprise me I must say as we are all died in wool, cut my head off I bleed Blue SS supporters. But we are all going to give the first home game a go and if it goes well my ST's will be renewed.

H's D (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 18:27
The few I know willing to give it a go have said the same to me Sanddancer.
The club will be apoplectic with worry that so few will renew pre-season.
However I urge you to go to Barton before then. Or you may be put off in September.
The possible impact HAD surfaced on here Sandancer.
I started pointing out the access problems last May!
Quote:
Me
Re: Dimes confirms plans to move to Barton
Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 11 May, 2011 21:44

IMHO the shuttle buses will probably run from the Trafford Centre which will be used for parking. I am sure a cost will be attached.
As public transport links to the Trafford Centre improve so will they improve for Barton.

I fear Barton road will be chocker-block after each match for half an hour or more. Unlike Edgeley there will be no-where pleasant to go for a drink post match waiting for traffic to disperse..
These are two of the main problems in my view.
We will also be playing during the day at the week-end as Friday nights would be impossible because of congestion for two months in the run up to Xmas.

I've been trying to draw everyone's attention to it on here ever since then! Especially after September when I knew we were moving.
I still can't believe they are still going for Fridays! Its absolutely CRAZY!!

Whaley Shark (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 18:38
That seems to be the big concern for myself and those I sit with. We'd like to stay sitting together but the only way to do so is splash out several hundred pounds each for STs, which is a big gamble if the logistics turn out to be awful.

The club could always let fans buy STs but, for up to say 3 matches of the season, offer a refund for the unused games if the ST holder decided they couldn't cope with Barton.

Finally, aren't ST sales in May a really important chunk of cash flow for the club over the summer, so if we mostly wait and see rather than buying STs, how will they keep going until we start buying game by game in September?

P A B (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 22:27
The 'only' plus point I can see is that as Barton has standing behind the posts, so you dont have to have a season tkt to be sure of being next to your mates. My thinking is to go to an open day & check it all out - if there is one. Then switch to a 'pay as you go' basis for the standing ends. And I can then skip the games that get switched inconveniently to Sat/Sun pm when the TC & M60 are jammed due to shoppers & Utd supporters.

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 22:32
PAB

Ever tried getting to the Trafford Centre on a Friday evening?

We did, the traffic was so bad we gave up and went to Salford Quays instead.

Incidentally, that was a bit earlier than most supporters would be getting there.

Probably closer to the time the Corporates would be arriving.

P A B (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 23:44
As I live in Sale my 'master plan' - should we move... would be to cycle to Barton & bypass all the traffic queues. Not perfect in bad weather, but I am used to it as I bike to work most days. Almost certain to be quicker than driving.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 08:24
But how would you get across the ship canal PAB? over Barton bridge!

SaleGangster (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 08:52
There's a small toll bridge (5p/10p) if memory serves that crosses the canal between Warburton and Rixton so the journey out through Carrington / Partington would be long but not impossible. There are also other bridges on the Trafford Park side of Barton Bridge.

29 March, 2012 09:44
Here you are:-

http://images.gizmag.com/hero/2505_02.jpg

Sorted!

bonnery (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 11:51
Hold on...shaking my head reading some of the early comments on this particular thread (referring to the critics of the media guys twitter pages).

It is an assumption that the twitter comments were about things written by folk on here. It may be an educated guess but nothing explicitly saying so was said.

Secondly, and unless I'm mistaken, both of the twitter accounts referred to say clearly "all views are my own", not that of employers. We have all had an opinion and been able to separate that from our jobs and just get on with it.

Phrases like "contempt of the fans", "true feelings towards supporters". Please!? Back in your box. Jeez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/03/2012 11:57 by bonnery.

Mozzer (IP Logged)
29 March, 2012 12:13
I vote d)

It has been before
So it shall be again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net