rugbyunion
Latest News:

Barton off? Did you all miss this ...
iBozz (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 11:34
... quote from sharkboard sa?

The relevant part reads ...

Quote:
... I was however told tonight, by a staff member at the game, that Barton had stalled and that we remainded at EP for another year ...

The full, gory details can be read here.

Has anyone else heard anything further about Barton? Over and above, that is, the general background chatter that has been going on for yonks.

On Tuesday, Dimes opined that a decision would be made within "two to three days" (apologies if I misinterpreted what he said, but it sounded pretty clear to me) and, using the fingers of both hands and a couple of toes, I reckon that "two to three days" ran out at midnight last night!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

http://smileygenerator.us/smileytags/links/smiley_tag.0103287001410624489.gif

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/03/2012 11:37 by iBozz.

Re: Barton off? Did you all mis this ...
Printerland Annie (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 11:38
FWIW I tweeted Swanny earlier in the week. As part of his reply he wrote (in block capitals) 'if we move' I replied to express surprise as I thought the move was a done deal and Swanny replied to say that it was not. I kept my counsel at the time as, at the moment, I am not sure what to believe!

Re: Barton off? Did you all miss this ...
LJK4Sale (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 11:41
You remembered right Ibozz, he def. said in an answer to my question about the timetable, that it all had to be agreed with Premiership Rugby by end march and for the audit to take place on the ground, the decision to move had to be made in the next 3 days i.e. by yesterday ! I thought it may have been announced last nt. but perhaps not in the eventual circumstances !!

leeds_shark (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 11:41
The longer this goes on, the more I am not sure what's going on - have to think the club is unsure as well.

I think there are some genuine concerns about Barton with transport etc another year at EP would mean that the club could look at these and see how they resolve!

Keeps me happy as Barton would mean some serious thinking about renewing my season ticket - EP is a no brainer (despite last night!)

Whaley Shark (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 11:44
Quote:
LJK4Sale
You remembered right Ibozz, he def. said in an answer to my question about the timetable, that it all had to be agreed with Premiership Rugby by end march and for the audit to take place on the ground, the decision to move had to be made in the next 3 days i.e. by yesterday ! I thought it may have been announced last nt. but perhaps not in the eventual circumstances !!

What's to stop the Premiership Rugby audit taking place before we have committed ourselves one way or the other? If Barton gets the OK from PR but the commercial side then doesn't work out, then we have EP as a fallback position.

iBozz (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 11:50
EP would have to be audited if we were to stay there, and Dimes said that CS were fined £100,000 this term for safety concerns about the Prawn Sarnie roof and the inadequate disabled lavatories.

Those failures would have to be put right, at an eye-watering cost I would guess, or any fine for continuing failure would be much higher.

The financial implications of staying at EP on that front alone are a major concern to the beancounters, I would think!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 11:56
I Didn't miss it, thought that it could be good news, but there are so many conflicting stories there didn't seem much point cracking open the champagne (which went somewhat flat last night anway) until it was confirmed.

Do they not have to fix the roof for Stockport County anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/03/2012 12:04 by Frodo Shark.

H's D (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 12:04
It's also worth bearing in mind staff are often the last to hear about such things, especially if they're not amongst those lucky enough to still have jobs.
The few i have spoken to don't think they will have jobs next year.
Rumours and counter-rumours (clutching at straws) abound in such circumstances. Just like on here!
It suits CS not clarify, so as to minimise dissent.
Logically
The Barton Stadium holding company will have it's own systems, contracts and personnel in place for most forms of matchday employment. Reds will have sought positions for as many of their staff as possible. We're third in, almost a year too late.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/03/2012 12:06 by H's D.

Staffskeef (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:00
Anticipate this week we should hear about the move so Salford v Wigan this friday seems an attractive way to experiment finding/ experiencing Barton with ear to Sale at Newc match.
Sent email/the intention to renew STH (x4) of our group with our concerns of travelling up from Staffs to Swanny. Prompt professional reply from him- if Dimes is doing too much - feel for Swanny who can't be getting home too early every day at present.
Determined to enjoy my rugby and support the team whatever the obstacles.

Prop at Work (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 12:35
I understand that Sale office staff and match stewards have all been shown around Barton.

I also heard (but don't know if true) that the SSSC Committee have been shown around - but surely they would have reported back if they had...or perhaps they did and I missed it (apologies if so).

So it seems we were all set to move. Surprised at this latest delay in announcing it. Although I suppose it could well have all been agreed and signed already, just no need to tell us yet.

stevene (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 12:38
Martin Crowson on twitter :

[twitter.com]

Sale making major announcement on Wednesday.

Prop at Work (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 12:39
Who is Martin Crowson?

stevene (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 12:47
rugby correspondant for Leicester Mercury. No idea where he got that from.

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 12:52
Quote:
Prop at Work
I also heard (but don't know if true) that the SSSC Committee have been shown around - but surely they would have reported back if they had...or perhaps they did and I missed it (apologies if so).

Prop

sorry we haven't been shown around Barton.

Olyy (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 12:52
Presumably an email was sent to all PRL accredited journos about a a press conference being held at Sale on Wednesday.

stevene (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 15:23
Martin Crowson confirmed it was a Sale press release where this was picked up.

scb (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 17:25
You're offsmiling smileysmiling smiley

Done and dusted, and you'll probably love it if you give it a chance!

emerging shark (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 17:31
Not another major announcement!! we want results on the field...

emerging shark (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 17:33
Is Crowson Nick Mcleod??

SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 17:42
Press conference now postponed

Timpers (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 17:45
It could be that Dimes is taking over the coaching role pro tem, but that was in one of the dailies today, so can't be.

sharkboard sa (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 18:03
Not sure if l understand the purpose of the committee tour unless they expect them to act as tour guides when at some point the great unwashed are asked to attend.Or perhaps it so that the committee get first dads at the good seats

How many members does the SSSC have now has it improved?

H's D (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 18:16
Are you permitted to give us a reason for the postponement Swanny?

"For us, it's all about increasing our existing audience" SD
"For us, it's all about being treated like mushrooms" HD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2012 18:24 by H's D.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 18:34
Well whoever Martin Crowson is, he's just confirmed all my prejudices about Twitter.

I decided to have a look via the link and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to access any actual information!

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 19:38
Edited cos I have lost the will with this board

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2012 21:32 by Gordon1974.

Gillop (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 20:04
As far as I'm aware Match Stewards haven't been shown around Barton, and can't see why they would as Barton already has it's own Match Day Staff.

Gillop
First Aid Post
Control Box Corner

SB14 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 20:04
I have been quite vocal about not being able to go/get to Barton. I was unable to attend the meeting with SD as I had another prior arrangement which I could not cancel. It was nothing to do with lack of effort on my part. I had made a commitment and had to keep it.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 21:43
I've been a Sale supporter for 8 years or so, and have followed this site for many years.

A couple of bits of information which I can provide which may or may not be of some use to some of you.

- Stewarding for events at Barton are provided by G4S or Group 4 as they were previously known. (I currently work for them) They will provide stewarding for all events at Barton including sporting and music events. Stewards at Edgeley Park are not provided by G4S as far as I know.

- Matchday staff (ticketing, operations) at Barton are employed by "City of Salford Community Stadium Company Ltd". Hospitality and Catering staff are employed by Azure catering who I believe have a 10 year contract with the Stadium Company.

- Ticketing is provided by Ticketline however there was a cross over when Salford first moved in with their system. From what I heard Salford sold season tickets using a large chart with sticky labels (Which did work) until TicketLine starting selling already allocated seats which involved several seats having two occupants.

- Transport is pretty chaotic and has not really improved since the pre-season games. If you have no trouble walking, the 2 mile walk (35mins brisk walk) to Eccles Tram Station is an option.

I hope that helps, and I'll try and answer any questions if I can.

The Wigan match on Friday looks like it will be a big crowd.

H's D (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 08:56
Thanks M5shark, you have corroborated both our worse fears and those of the staff I have spoken to.

SandDancerShark (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 14:52
H's D, you have asked a valid question, don't hold your breath for an answer, Swanny has all but abandoned this board and his answers of late verge of the minimalist/rude IMHO.

H's D (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 16:20
You might well be correct in that it's 'seagull management', but equally he is no doubt fairly busy.
One should also bear in mind he may have to seek permission from the chief organ grinder/pied piper*.

* or other euphemism/idiom of your choice, in reference to his line manager.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/03/2012 16:27 by H's D.

BurtandErnie (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 17:32
Quote "One should also bear in mind he may have to seek permission from the chief organ grinder/pied piper."

Genius, keep poking the wasps nest...

27 March, 2012 20:34
You may be amused to read in the match programme that Swanny is described therein as "Media and Supporter Liaison" Manager.

Cracking photo of a drummer, once of this parish, on the back page. He's thrilled they use it even without his permission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/03/2012 20:35 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

iBozz (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 23:02
For several editions of the programme, a few years since, there was a startling photo of Bedazzled, Another Didsbury Shark and yours truly all waving flags at, I think (but maybe wrong), a Kassam Stadium game.

It disappeared after a few airings, to the obvious disappointment of our many fans, possibly when the programme editor realised that the flags were those of Sale FC and not Sale Sharks!

I still have my flag in the garage waiting for another airing!

brilin (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 09:36
I have been told today ,by someone who works at E P, that Sharks are going to Barton for next season. The only problem is how, we ,the supporters are to be told. With me it will be simple, all they have to do is say "we are going, goodbye".That will be 2 extra season tickets they will have to sell.I think I will use the savings to buy a subscription to ESPN so that I can watch Friday night rugby in the comfort of my own home!

The other 'arf

Mozzer (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 09:42
Rumour on our board is it's already signed. No idea how true that is, of course. But I feel I'm in good company just chucking something out there without really being bothered how true it is.

A rush and a push and the land that we stand on is ours
It has been before
So it shall be again
And people who are uglier than you and I
They take what they need, and just leave

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 09:50
Quote:
Mozzer
Rumour ... I feel I'm in good company just chucking something out there without really being bothered how true it is.

You're clear it's a rumour Moz, so nowt wrong with that!

OxO2 (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 10:10
Just a thought, surely Dimes will be doing all of the stewarding at Barton, and manning the turnstiles, all whilst posting on this board, running the team, and cleaning the changing rooms at Carrington. There is a rumour that he may delegate "programme selling", but experts consider it unlikely.

30 March, 2012 10:14
this may help

[www.salesharks.com]

Mozzer (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 10:18
It's the silences I enjoy the most.

A rush and a push and the land that we stand on is ours
It has been before
So it shall be again
And people who are uglier than you and I
They take what they need, and just leave

OxO2 (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 10:25
Quote:
SwannyMediaMan
this may help
[www.salesharks.com]
I know, it was my poor attempt at a joke.

30 March, 2012 10:27
(Sm159)

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 13:47
Quote:
brilin
I have been told today ,by someone who works at E P, that Sharks are going to Barton for next season. The only problem is how, we ,the supporters are to be told. With me it will be simple, all they have to do is say "we are going, goodbye".That will be 2 extra season tickets they will have to sell.I think I will use the savings to buy a subscription to ESPN so that I can watch Friday night rugby in the comfort of my own home!

That's my plan too. That will cost me £108, close to my sons ST price.

The rest (my own ST price, plus programmes, food etc) I will
use to spend on something else that we can do together

SB14 (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 15:23
It would be nice to be told, one way or the other, what is happening rather than all this 'I heard, I have been told, it is rumoured' etc., because, for want of a better phrase, it's doing my head in!

30 March, 2012 15:40
I think you have summarised it very neatly there, SB14!

Nick Stone (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 15:43
Will be putting the savings towards a newer car. Was in two minds whether to buy 1 season ticket for Barton, but sharing it with my Partner, and swap half the tickets for the top games, as long as the club still allow ticket swapping.

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 15:47
SB and Annie

The decision had to be taken (I understand) by 31st March

Today is 30th March and tomorrow is a Saturday.

Leave aside H's Ds contention that it was made last September (quite probably true) it has to be made by now

If it was good news they would have told us.

You can stop worrying and decide where to spend the money you have just saved.

SB14 (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 16:17
I shall become a supporter of Beverley RUFC then shall I? I really did intend commuting from Hull to EP and staying over-night at my son's, but the trains don't run to Barton.....

And with the money I shall save I'll - who knows? The possibilities are endless.

GIK (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 17:32
Whilst I expect that the number of posters who use this site is relatively low, I suspect their views are fairly representative...and that suggests a pretty material drop in season ticket renewals for next season.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
30 March, 2012 20:30
Quote:
GIK
... the number of posters who use this site is relatively low, I suspect their views are fairly representative...

I'm not sure about that GIK.

Generally those who disapprove of anything are more likely to take the trouble to express that disapproval. Those who are happy or pretty unconcerned, less so, especially if they feel their opinion will be unpopular!

Nevertheless, I agree that there'll be a sizeable group of disappointed people including me.

GIK (IP Logged)
31 March, 2012 05:10
I was more referring to the amount of unofficial straw polling of near neighbours and friends at EP. The season ticket holders left and right of me and my lad, in the cheap seats, won't be renewing. And stories suggesting 2 hours to exit car parks is hardly likely to encourage the undecideds, or make it likely I'll be bringing the kids next year.

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 21:38
By the way, does anyone know if SS are actually going to Barton next season?

Stupid question I know!

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 23:19
The answer is YES, but whoever does know doesn't want to tell us.

02 April, 2012 09:44
The latest on the ongoing saga

[menmedia.co.uk]

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 09:58
I would have thought that a decision that needed to be made before the 31st March is a little more than imminent on the 2nd of April.

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:24
I can only assume that was meant to be published yesterday, 1st April.

Although it notes that the deadline is passed, there seems to be little acknowledgement of the contradiction involved in the dates, and certainly no attempt at trying to explain how it will be overcome.

I do note that the CEO has a full week of training to get through

LJK4Sale (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:41
Tuesday is the regular Press Day isn't it? So maybe tomorrow is the day when we will get to hear

wineshark (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 10:59
Given we have no game this weekend,club may publish their intentions today/tomorrow with the distraction of the easter holidays to calm down any adverse reactions

02 April, 2012 12:20
As I posted on another thread,Swanny tweeted this yesterday

This week promises to be a MASSIVE week media wise....strap yourself in and enjoy the ride

However, it was April 1st when he tweeted it.

CEintheSun (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:36
Telling the RFU = 31st March

Telling the punters = whenever we feel like it.

The biggest clue that the move is on is the fact no announcement has been made about season tickets yet.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 13:18
my thoughts exactly, CE

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 13:34
That's pretty much what I said above, on Friday at 16:47

Though possibly my view is a bit less of "when we feel like it" and a bit more of "whenever we think we can best get away with it"

Of course it's not really going to make much difference

They might be able to time it right to reduce the complaints and objections. Thats not going to help ST sales though. And its certainly not going to reduce the problems for those who buy STs anyway.

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 13:48
I read something earlier, on twitter I think, that said rather than it having to be sorted by the date mentioned above, that's when a new stadium has to be "nominated" (or something like that) to the RFU.
So Sale would have had to say "We're thinking about playing at Salford Stadium" by then, so the RFU can make sure it meets all of their requirements, but then Sale can still turn round and say "you know what, we'll stick where we are"

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 15:03
Olyy, you could be right. Perhaps it's a game of guess where we're playing the next game: We'll let you know in time for kick off.

Presumably someone from the RFU even had to confirm that Wembley passed muster.

02 April, 2012 15:23
Swanny has retweeted this from @Salford Stadium

Pick up a copy of today’s MEN for a great family ticket offer for our Easter Monday Fun Day. A great day out for just £10 for a family of 4.

Part of the gradual softening up process?

Rugbydon (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 16:16
I'm gobsmacked SS are still mucking about making a decision! They wanted to go, subject to money, (access wasn't an issue apparently). I thought the deal was agreed!

Is it:
1 Indecision.
2 Incompetence.
3 Cynical gamesmanship with a secret agenda.

Whatever; all of a sudden I've lost interest!

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 16:58
What about a new poll

"Who do you expect to get the sack when the Barton move fails?"

H's D (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 19:49
The Sharks & Jets are touring the new stadium on Wednesday morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 19:55 by H's D.

SB14 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 20:33
Marvellous. Looks more and more likely that the last game of the season will be my last game of supporting Sale Sharks live. Oh dear.

iBozz (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 21:46
Quote:
SB14
Marvellous. Looks more and more likely that the last game of the season will be my last game of supporting Sale Sharks live. Oh dear.

So come and join us at The Rozafa - to celebrate or forget the move!

J Moon (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 22:16
If anybody has today's Evening News there's an offer for a family of 4 to attend Salford vs Hull KR on Easter Monday for £10.

Just noticed it's already been posted. Oh well. If you only read the latest comment you'll see that I've said it in case you missed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 22:17 by J Moon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net