rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Is Dimes doing too much?
StaffordShark (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 18:31
Would just like peoples thoughts really? It would seem that the rugby side of the club has dropped since Dimes was announced as CEO and that the business side i.e. the move and the name change has become a shambles as well.Has Dimes just simply not got enough time to do both?
Personally, I would like to see Dimes come back in as DoR with complete control of player recruitment, if its a place on the board he of the club he wants, then give him one but he isn't a CEO. AS far as I am aware he doesn't have any experience of running a business as large as Sale and I know he said the systems were already in place so it wouldn't matter that he was doing both but is it just too much for one person to do?

Re: Is Dimes doing too much?
MartWhit (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 19:34
yes.

sharkboard sa (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 19:48
While l had the same thoughts after listening to Diames his view is that he can do both jobs and lets not forget he has been out of action for some time due to illness.

We come a long way with him in a short space of time lets let him get on with it.

Shark in Exile (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 19:54
I agree we need Dimes as the full time DoR for the next year or two to push the team forward.
The casual supporters will come back and may be long term supporters if the team keep improving and are consistent on the pitch.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 20:09
So far as I'm aware, Dimes does indeed have experience of running a sizeable company of his own.

Quite how big I don't know.

woodley shark (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 20:18
Yes.

In any business the proof is in the pudding.

How have Sale been doing recently.

And as an aside, Hanks was being lauded not so long ago, now he's a pariah.

Something is going wrong.

Barend (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 20:22
I may need a tin hat after this, but maybe it's not Hanks that was the root of some of the issues....?

Olyy (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 20:25
I know some Sarries fans have a dim view of Dimes after he almost got them relegated while at their helm.

oldgrey (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 20:32
Diamond should get used to doing all the work, cause i can't see coaches jumping at the chance to join Sale. Must be great being screamed at every time you lose a couple of games.so if there is a coach prepared to put up with that, then he needs to get a house on a month to month lease.

Frodo Shark (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 20:51
Quote:
Barend
I may need a tin hat after this, but maybe it's not Hanks that was the root of some of the issues....?

I can't possibly imagine what you mean but you could be right anyway!!

Barend (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 20:53
I get the impression Diamond could be similar to Kenny Dalglish or Kevin Keegan. Seen as such a big part of previously important times, a second visit and they seem much more 'untouchable'.

Olyy (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 21:26
Bring back Brewer - It'd be like the unstoppable object vs the immovable force (Sm6)

Shark in Exile (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 21:52
We are playing better than the previous two/three seasons and Dimes has bought in some good talent, to name one Andy Powell.
But something still seems to be wrong with Sale. Whether its a coaching issue or what looks like the uncertaintity of where we are going.

I think things have gone awry after Dimes became CEO & the ban has not helped

camshark (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 22:48
It looks like Mr.Diamond has a good knowledge of rugby, no questioning his recruitment of players,it seems he has an ability to motivate,even if only short term. He has a good grasp of what it takes to be top performing team,and he has delivered to a degree with saints,sarries and Russia.
But as a CEO it appears he lacks experience on this scale,his communication and PR skills need refining.His strategic skills whilst commendable are unrealistic.His ability as a business leader unproven,it takes time to wear the CEO hat.
His time will come, in the meantime he needs to decide if his skills are better suited on the rugby side of the business or on the commercial side,if he tries to do both then its potentially a recipe for failure.

Innings (IP Logged)
24 March, 2012 23:56
'Delivered to a degree with Sarries.'

Not many Sarries supporters would agree with you, and he famously lost the respect and support of the Sarries players. He also took us to the brink of relegation.

Blaming everyone else and losing your temper is not managing.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 11:45
if dimes wants to be CEo, he has to sit back and let somebody else do and talk in public about the rugby. Seems he struggles with that bit.

If he wants to be DoR too, he needs to be clear about it and be prepared to put in a superhuman amount of work. And those under him need to be clear and happy that he is in total charge on and off the field.

Personally, I think Dimes can onlt do 1 role effectively. He needs to find a strong DOR in whom he can have total trust and who can have their arguments in private.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 12:19
what MartWhit said - well put

Printerland Annie (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 08:58
Despite tweets from the MEN on Saturday that Dimes has started the search for a high-profile head coach and a defence coach, today's Telegraph reports that Dimes is taking on the coaching role himself until the end of the season.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

wineshark (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:17
My money's on Dimes playing hooker at gloucester(Sm159)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2012 09:20 by wineshark.

davidbarratt (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 10:09
I feel that Hanks as been used as a scapgoat. After all it is Dimes who has got the players in, it is Dimes that makes all the decisions. At the start of the season we had this fiasco of who was the captain? First it was Sam, then it was Seymour when Sam was unavailable. When Sam was back he still made Seymour the captain only again to revert back again to Sam. Obviously he could not make his mind up or was it indecision?

beshocked (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 12:06
Surely it shouldn't all be doom and gloom?

Still a shot at HC rugby next season and some decent players in your team.

I think a lot of other clubs' supporters are jealous that you have signed Richie Gray for next season. Still unsure how it was done under the radar but Diamond should be commended for that.

Agree that Diamond should stick to one job - probably DOR.

Trying to juggle too many balls at the same time only leads to disaster.

stevene (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 13:46
Not too fussed how many roles he has providing he does them well. However can Dimes hold his tongue and temper more like? A good CEO (or DoR) knows when to speak and what to say, even if it is best to say little, listen a little and then make a decision based on a clear head and your own judgement knowing all opinions.

Just because you have/do run a debt collection agency and a building firm doesn't mean you know how to run a professional sports club. IMO Dimes has a lot to learn about how to conduct himself in the public eye.

Very uninspired at the moment with the way things are being handled (not necessarily what) hope it turns ok well but he (and the club) are leaving themselves open for very legitimate criticism if it doesn't. I trust Dimes but that trust is being stretched.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net