rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Transfers
Frank U. (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 00:51
So our owners want to see Sale challenging for honours. How do we achieve this? Capital investment in the team could mean that we bring in top international players who may or may not play as a quality team. Either way, they have the big bucks salary.

Or we bring in lesser known players and develop our youth structure, which takes time.

Personally I would prefer to see young bench warmers from Australia, NZ, South Africa come in and develop with our home grown talent. Along with coaches from same with fresh ideas/promise. One step backwards/two steps forwards.

Perhaps we have to spend Millions and not Thousands to reach for the sky and stay there.

Re: Transfers
Flumpty (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 09:41
Quote:
Frank U.

Perhaps we have to spend Millions and not Thousands to reach for the sky and stay there.

Don't you mean "OTHERS will have to spend millions of THEIR money"

its very easy to splash the cash when its not yours !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 10:32 by Flumpty.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 10:17
I think he is using the royal 'we'.
'Personally I would prefer to see young bench warmers from Australia, NZ, South Africa come in'
That would be several steps backwards and would cost a lot, anyway why would they come to SS?.. lets just work on developing our own talent.

thekeg (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 10:52
I think we need 5 or 6 experienced players to come in and work alongside the rest of our players who are largely homegrown. A lot of he precious generation of senior pros are at or near the end so it's a big chsnge that needs the right people

MartWhit (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 11:07
what we need are not necessarily great players. What we need are strong leaders and good personalities. People who can bring the best from the rest.

Not sure if that is expensive or not. Mills for e.g. played that role at London Welsh. Cipriani led by taking playmaking responsibility for all his other faults around goalkicking.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 11:11
The way results are going the only thing Sale look like having a good chance of winning is the Championship
What ever the current "game plan" might be, it isn't working.

clutch (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 12:42
It did against Quins. Quins are unbeaten at home and we were unlucky not to beat them.

We just lack quality and this shows up in seasons where we have the Champions Cup. I still think that, above all, is why were are down at the bottom.

I agree MartWhit, but great forwards tend to be great leaders. We need more strength in depth, and quality in a few key areas. I'd love an absolute top class second row forward. I think we lack that, and frankly we've never really had that at Sale (expecting disagreement). Add a few quality props and some new half backs and we are looking ok. Any signings on top of that would great, but not crucial.

I was thinking if Worcester go down we should go for Teo (sp?). Obvious replacement for Sam.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 12:45
In other transfer news Leicester are now becoming favourites to sign Ford with the new coaching setup there

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 13:02
Rumour mill update!

[www.ruck.co.uk]

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

Hull Shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 13:47
Ruck have just regurgitated the Rugby Paper.

I thought Bath were blocking Ford to Tigers for competition reasons?

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 14:03
Visiting Wasps fan here. Not trying to be confrontational... player retention is an important factor. If you can keep our grubby hands off your players it will help the team progress from season to season. It'll also make the investment in the academy players more worth while.

When Wasps were broke a few of our big name players left for a few years and eventually returned when the financials improved. Haskell, Flutey, Tom Palmer and, although it took him a bit longer, Cipriani. If you could attract some of the guys who left you to return would you think that would be good?

Gaskell and Miller are two who most Wasps fans would have in their first choice 23 yet are not nailed on starters for Dai. I'd hate to see them leave but could definitely see them being tempted back to Sale. Myall too.

thekeg (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 14:34
Gaskell seems unlikely given comments on here about his relationship with dimes. Miller is a decent player but not sure we need another back 3 addition

Teo is a good player, but not sure he's necessarily good for morale based on some of his comments on the press about Worcester's predicament

2007dwain (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 14:35
As much as I'd like miller, Gaskell and myall back I can't see that happening. Even with them not in the 23 each week the atmosphere at wasps at moment must be great for any player to be in. Aswell I remember hearing myall didn't enjoy his time to great at sale and Gaskell was slated by dimes for leaving

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 14:37 by 2007dwain.

Olyy (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 20:56
Rumours that were after Paul Hill, which would be a great signing.
Also that Nev is off to Wuss or Bristol - which would make sense, we're really well stocked in the back 3 and I can't see him getting much game time anytime soon.

thekeg (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 22:18
Yes please to Hill

2007dwain (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 07:39
Underwood just signed for bath. He would of been good

Jim H (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:56
Quote:
Olyy
Also that Nev is off to Wuss or Bristol

Nev?

Olyy (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:00
Quote:
Jim H
Quote:
Olyy
Also that Nev is off to Wuss or Bristol

Nev?
Nev Edwards

Owen Williams has signed for Gloucester, which adds more fire to the Ford --> Tigers rumours.

clutch (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:38
Why would Hill move?

clutch (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:39
Or is he getting less gametime with Devoto being here?

clutch (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:40
Losing the plot here!! Why would Hill leave Saints? Which Chiefs centre am I talking about?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 13:19
Too many Hills. Isn't one a prop with Northampton and the other a centre with Exeter. Paul Hill is the prop, isn't he?

MikeGC (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 13:21
Sam Hill - Exeter centre, playing well alongside Slade/Devoto et al
Paul Hill - Northampton prop, a current England international playing well when he gets the chance in a dominant Saints scrum

Can't think why either would head north (other than a monster wage packet) and likely to remain faithful to their current employer

thekeg (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 13:23
Isn't Brookes the main starter for saints?

andysaint (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 14:04
[m.bbc.co.uk]

Hill signed a new deal with us in July 2016. Hands off.

H's D (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 15:07
In that case it's far more likely that he will be retiring from playing Union and will soon be playing League for Salford Reds....rather than play under Dimes!(Sm6)

MikeGC (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 16:31
Quote:
2007dwain
Underwood just signed for bath. He would of been good

Rory or Tony ?

or Underhill ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net