rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Trafford centre shuttle bus scheme ending.
Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 21:03
[www.salesharks.com]
Quote:
Dave Swanton explained
" With car sharing to the stadium becoming popular and the fact that getting to and from the stadium this season has vastly improved, less people have been using the Trafford Centre shuttle and they are parking at the stadium instead."

But forgot to mention that the cost of the shuttle put people off

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 21:07 by Irish_Shark.

Re: Trafford centre shuttle bus scheme ending.
M5 Shark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 21:42
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

We've got some good news, a new bus service (but its only being trialled so may be scrapped after one game).

and we've got some bad news, the TC shuttle is being scrapped.

Remind me who looks after the interests of those "customers" who can't drive to the ground?

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 21:51
From a personal point of view, Friday night games I come from work/Manch city centre to TC (X50) £3.50, then to AJ Bell (100) £2.50 and go home to Withington after.

No problem doing that in the light but as we insist on the late kick offs, I don't much fancy standing around a bus stop waiting for the 100 back to the TC and then having to wait at the TC as well. Some very sketchy characters around both stops.

The alternative being I get on the Supporter's bus back to Parrswood (no singles so has to be £6.50) and then back to Withington (142) £1.

So £13.50 approx. to travel with any feeling of safety... The TC shuttle bus at least cut out waiting at one dodgy bus stop...

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 23:32
Of course less people are using it: the average gate has decreased.

As an aside, it used to be easy to find out what the gate was for past games on the club website but the figures don't seem easy to find now, if indeed they are there at all.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 04:33
Classic spin from the club, you have to smile at times.

As Irish_Shark correctly points out, the decision to charge people from this season will have undoubtedly put people off, I've spoken to enough people to know the decision to charge annoyed people along with the awkwardness of having to pre-book.

I'm not so sure it's down to the car sharing/improvements plus entry/exit at the stadium either. As a percentage how much have the attendances dropped? It's a hard one to establish as it's generally considered the match-day attendances are an inflated figure.

I think the club were never 100% behind this scheme, poor decision IMHO. I'd like to think when the team turns the corner gates will improve. Perhaps then we will need a park and ride scheme.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 07:49
There is a new service to the stadium from Hale/Altrincham....

iBozz (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 09:03
You run a free service for a couple of seasons but give absolutely no assurance that it will be possible to get back to the TC unless catching the first - and possibly only - return service.

And then there is the unanswerable question: will it or will it not be the only return trip that night? Who knew and there was no way of finding out.

Who dictated whether there was sufficient "demand" for a second or subsequent return and how does the punter, who may wish to tarry in the shop, bar or merely for a chinwag, find out? Who knew and there was no way of finding out.

And then you run the same unpredictable service and start charging for it and wonder why take up is even less.

It beggars belief.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 09:49 by iBozz.

jamestaylorreturns (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 09:26
doesn't help the bigger picture of trying to increase attendances and making it as easy as possible for anyone to get to the ground!

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 09:53
As a matter of interest, how many seater was the bus and how many travelled?

At a guess, no more than 80?

So in 2 buses a maximum of 160 people.... (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Will losing this really make a significant difference to the average gate? - probably not

Is it a pain to administer and does it generate lots of potential complaints/grumbles? - probably

Please don't get me wrong, all of the people who use the bus are customers and as such must be valued by the club but there may be better ways to incentivise them (and others) to still come to matches

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 10:58
At one level I don't disagree with you, GOS, but you add together all those 'small numbers' and pretty quickly you have a big number. Very little Sale has done in recent times has given the waverers reason to want to attend, and it shows in the attendance figures. Yes, I know there are some who think that if you are a real supporter you will come no matter what but, in the real world, people have all sorts of things competing for their time.

Just before the move to the Salford City Stadium, now the AJ Bell, there were assurances that the travel situation would be sorted by the start of the season. Despite the best efforts of Swanny and Barry The Bus things still aren't really running that smoothly. The end result is too many people have opted out and Sale are where they are now in terms of people attending. It's not easy to halt a decline. Swanny, I believe, gives all he can but at times he does seem a lonely voice.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:16
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
As a matter of interest, how many seater was the bus and how many travelled?
At a guess, no more than 80?

So in 2 buses a maximum of 160 people.... (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Will losing this really make a significant difference to the average gate? - probably not

Is it a pain to administer and does it generate lots of potential complaints/grumbles? - probably

Please don't get me wrong, all of the people who use the bus are customers and as such must be valued by the club but there may be better ways to incentivise them (and others) to still come to matches

Unfortunately this seems to be the stance that Sale Sharks takes toward its customers/supporters/followers when transport systems have been considered.

Get this part right first and then people will use them - Can you hear an echo, oh yeah this has been said thousands of times before

11 January, 2017 11:38
A chargeable shuttle from the TC on Friday evenings isn't attractive whatsoever as it doesn't solve the problems of the M60 congestion on Friday evenings.

A free shuttle on Saturdays/Sundays is far more attractive.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

H's D (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 14:43
Succinct and to the point Mrs T.

Too often our club is demonstrably penny wise and pound foolish.
How long before the four in a car parking incentive goes as well.
The club indicated that the charge for the stadium car park was raised from £5 to £10 in order to fund the shuttle bus: will the charge now be reduced?...... I'm not holding my breath.....(Sm102)

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 14:49
Good point about the funding, H's D.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 14:57
All my discussions with the club (Swanny) have been that any bus needs to be income generating.

Surely the income will take care of itself when the supporters arrive at the ground, pay to get in, buy a drink/merch/programme etc. Then they tell their friends how well organised it was and how the bus left at the correct times, was well signposted and easy to book (Or TUAG), and then we start getting positive word of mouth. And then those friends tell their friends and all of a sudden we start attracting new customers.

H's D (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 15:12
We have been told that none of the income from car parking, food, drink and ancillaries actually go to S.S. at all, so only ticket sales, mechandise and programs will contribute towards covering the cost of transport.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:20
Anything to do with the fact that soon the Trafford centre will be charging for car parking????

ale shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:29
The buses are pointless on a Friday night for many reasons, none of which are cited by Swanny. They have their heads firmly up thier deluded ar$es and it's almost impossible to have any sort of sympathy to thier self inflicted plight.

They should still run them for weekend games, sad if they don't.

Any update on the bridge? No, thought not.

H's D (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:41
If memory serves the shuttle bus was funded and brought in by the Stadium owners rather thab S.S., so perhaps it's them who have decided to withdraw it?

SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 20:57
Evening
Over the last four games the maximum number of people using the TC was six passengers, Costing £350 for the bus. We promoted it as best we could and even with a £3 charge it was costing the club money. When we ran it 3 times pre game free last season it was still under used. We have had a good response to the Hale,Alty, Sale bus so we decided to focus our efforts on that. Gstes by the way are up this season. The four in a car £5 charge at the stadium has been well received. Bridge November at the earliest.

11 January, 2017 21:09
Can I also add that after the Shuttles have done their scheduled runs they return to the stadium. One takes people to Sale & Altrincham and the other takes people to Spinningfields. Its to make sure no one gets left on site oh and we don't charge for this either.

ale shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 22:06
Wow, 6 users. Thanks Swanny, puts a slightly different spin on it. I assume we're talking weekend games, not just Friday nights?

12 January, 2017 07:31
correct....Tigers,Toulon,Wasps,Saracens,Exeter,Saracens and Bristol...so that's 2 Friday games and 4 weekend games

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 08:59
I have to admit that I wasn't expecting it to as low as six people using it. Obviously that figure supports the club's decision. That said, it would be interesting to know what the figures were when 1) originally strategy (and it seemed quite popular then) with a cost of a couple of pound 2) when it became free 3) the difference between Friday, Staurday and Sunday games, if any 4) when the service had to be pre-booked. I presume the figures will be there but unfortunately I do get the feeling that we are only told part of the story.

I don't know about other clubs except for Everton. Everton run, at the very least, shuttle buses to Sandhills station and to the edge of the city centre. I presume there are other destinations, but haven't looked (never having had need to). There are several buses lined up for each route and the first buses out always return as there is inevitably too much demand for the first set that go out. Even the slowest person out of the ground has chance to go to the club shop and still be guaranteed a seat. There is a charge, but those with a Mersyside bus pass (of any sort) use the service for free, or pre-paid if you will.

H's D (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 09:05
If we had Everton's attendances the bus(es) would be full! (and there would be gridlock!)

12 January, 2017 09:27
Sadly Salford Council are not like Merseyside and we pay the total bill for buses. As for other destinations that is why we are operating a Hale/Alty/Sale bus as the feedback I have received makes it look as though it can be a success.
The reason for pre-booking was that we were trying to gauge its viability. We cut down from three trips to one trip and it still didn't work.

12 January, 2017 09:33
I'm not at all surprised that the usage was so low as the service is not attractive on Friday evenings.

However last season when the service was free and we played on Saturdays I had to phone Swanny to tell him the last bus was full and fans were left waiting at the stand. The bus ran twice after the game as well meaning that at least 55 fans used it. Now I expect the early shuttles weren't full as the AJB is not an attractive place to spend over an hour, it's usually cold and windy outside. The pub is better as is the TC.

I thought the fans from Sale & Altrincham found it dead easy to get to the AJB via the "secret" toll bridge and didn't need a shuttle. I hope you can make this service pay.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:47
Thanks for the reply, Swanny.

H's D (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 10:49
IMHO "pre-booking" was more likely to 'restrict' rather than 'gauge' it's usage.
It's certainly the reason I stopped using it as i couldn't tell until the day in question whether i could viably use it. I expect many others who work were often in the same situation.

Toothless Shark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 12:23
Quote:
emerging shark
Anything to do with the fact that soon the Trafford centre will be charging for car parking????

Is this true or speculation?

12 January, 2017 12:27
Emerging.....news to me that one

HD..........Fascinating, do you use an appointment system with your business? Just wondering

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 12:38
Do you need to prebook the shuttle buses at sarries, Worcester, Irish?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2017 12:39 by M5 Shark.

recycledyorkie2 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 12:39
Of course we use appointments but not to catch the bus to work. I used the bus frequently last season but never used the prebooked service this season.

12 January, 2017 13:09
The pre-booking was to make sure we had sufficient seats for each trip and to test out timings/demand.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 13:54
In this context, pre-booking is a barrier compared to a TUAG (turn up and go) system.

12 January, 2017 16:35
Some of the six were turning up without booking

12 January, 2017 16:40
Quote:
SwannyMediaMan
Some of the six were turning up without booking

I hope they were barred from boarding the bus. I don't know - some people!

emerging shark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 16:57
'Emerging.....news to me that one'
I got it from the guy who runs the car park at the Lowry. You now have to pay for parking at the Lowry whereas before you could get your ticket stamped with any purchase and it was free. I queried it and complained, said I'd go to the TC instead, and he said that the TC was following suit... no idea of the truth in this though or any timescale. he must have got it from somewhere.

12 January, 2017 17:14
No Mrs T no one was turned away.

12 January, 2017 17:29
You should have charged them double for the cheek. Just fancy - no reservation.

ale shark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 20:46
I can't believe that in this day and age there are still some people out there who have the arrogance to just turn up and expect to get on a shuttle bus without having to pre-book it days in advance.

How are these people now supposed to know that the service has been cancelled?

Toothless Shark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 22:36
Thanks emerging.

12 January, 2017 23:12
Serves 'em right if they turn up without a reservation for the bus that's stopped running.

What they really deserve is hanging but that's too good for them in this day and age.

nicsue (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 23:36
Quote:
M5 Shark
Do you need to prebook the shuttle buses at sarries, Worcester, Irish?

No booking for the Saracens shuttle. Completely free (OK there is often a Pioneer there holding a bucket for the Saracens Sport Foundation) and it runs like a dream (which considering it is run by Transport for London is a minor miracle.) I believe that the provision of the shuttle buses was a requirement of the planning permission for developing the stadium.

We used a shuttle bus at Irish one time and that was free and we didn't book.

13 January, 2017 10:44
(Mr. Punch) That's the way to do it (/Mr. Punch)

Free shuttle running like a dream and winning rugby.

Luxury!

It'll never catch on up 'ere - we like it tough

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2017 12:20 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

13 January, 2017 13:14
Whether we agree or not with the bus going, it is at least decent that Swanny comes on here and speaks to the fans about it. That wouldn't happen in many walks of life and shouldn't be mocked.

GOS (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 13:24
Why is anyone having a go at Swanny and the club for withdrawing an expensive service that practically no one wants to use

It would be totally ludicrous and irresponsible to continue to run it

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 13:48
I don't see anyone really having a go at Swanny, but to be honest if he comes on here with such a message then I think some feedback and challenge is to be expected. I am sure he can take it.

But I do see, and fully understand, the frustration of some people here.

The previously free service has been made more difficult to use and costly, and then as people have stopped using it (surprise!), the low uptake is used as an excuse to stop it.

What a shock! (It could almost have been deliberate...)

ale shark (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 13:49
I'm not sure anyone is having a go at Swanny. Credit to him for coming on here and backing up the decision with the figures.

The system put in place was designed to fail so it's served its purpose.

No one was ever going to pre-book a timetabled bus days in advance, get off the route they were already driving/stuck on, park, get on a bus at a specified time, get back on the route they were previously driving on and then repeat the process after the game but with an added wait. It was never going to work, especially on a Friday night.

The club can justify its removal and move on.

13 January, 2017 14:02
I didn't say anyone was having a go at Swanny. Just found the hilarity around reservations a bit unnecessary and mocking the efforts of the club who don't do everything to my liking but do at least make efforts to listen to fans.

On the Parrswood coach to the Bristol game, I overheard someone say that at a previous game they weren't able to get on the coach even though they had reserved because people who had not reserved were allowed on at Stockport and the coach was full. (Turned out the club sent another coach to pick them up in the end)

So yeah, there is a case for having reserved seats...

13 January, 2017 17:27
If the club had listened to fans they wouldn't have put a chargeable TC shuttle on Friday evenings - it was obviously bound to be little used.In fact , had the club listened to fans we probably wouldn't play on Friday evenings anyway.

If the driver allows fans on without a reservation that's his doing and makes a mockery of the reservation thingy. Clearly some fans weren't in the know re the reservation lark.

The buses cost money upfront. Providing them free might increase match revenue to more than cover the cost.

hilly07 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2017 20:33
I replied to say I wanted Friday night rugby so they listened to this fan....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Sale Sharks Poll

Who is the EP legends Openside Flanker?

See results > Submit >>