rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

MacGinty
DaveAitch (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 00:30
"He is by far the best fly half in the Pro12; great in defence and has an 80% success rate kicking his points. I am sure that when he works with Paul Deacon here at Sharks he will become the finished article.

I don't know about article, but he certainly seems finished. I wonder who thought he was the best fly half in the Pro12, and what influence Paul Deacon has actually had on him.

Re: MacGinty
HaleShark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 04:19
I wouldn't say he's finished with us, although the selection of James at 10 would give that impression. I would hope with the suspected arrival of Ford he would continue with us as second-option unless the club feel they would need to sign another fly-half due to Ford's England commitments.

ayjayoh21 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 07:34
Quote:
HaleShark
unless the club feel they would need to sign another fly-half due to Ford's England commitments.

If Ford comes to Sale, his England commitments will end.(Sm105)

jamestaylorreturns (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 09:24
AJ to Bristol to rejoin Lam next season must seem extremely likely in view of whats happening at sale for him this season

Osshark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 09:44
Did we not sign him on a two year contract? Or will he have a get out clause? Or did I just presume wrong and we only got him for one year?

11 January, 2017 09:48
I guess one year as no length is stated on the Iffy announcement.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

camshark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 10:08
I rate him, and hope he stays another year to prove the doubters wrong.
IF Ford comes he will miss big chunks of next season, and we need a good 10 back up, Sam James is not the long term answer at 10, he's a natural 12/13.
MacGinty has had limited time to settle in , has played with an early season injury, 3 different 9's, and any number of centre combo's, and an underpowered pack.
Those with short memories need to remember Cips' first year with us.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 10:43
I agree with Camshark on this one. I see plenty to persevere with in Maginty.

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:46
Quote:
MartWhit
I agree with Camshark on this one. I see plenty to persevere with in Maginty.

Also agree. Plus, AJ can learn from being around Ford. It makes sense to keep on with him...

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:54
I'm defo with the Camshark camp. He's showed enough with limited oppo to display he's up for it, happy to have a run and he's pretty abrasive. He seems to be getting a lot of unfair press plus Sam is a centre and needs time their himself to learn the art plus with Sam's availability not being great we can get some backups in the centres by moving Sam back there.

Maybe use the next set of European games to revert to AJ at 10 - try and get a settled 9/10 and 12/13 ready to get ourselves clear of the relegation battle for when the Prem starts

clutch (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:46
Cips defence and attitude was the issue, not his ability. Still think we played Macleod too much that year.

Maginty is clearly talented but he's had enough time to show some sort of sign that he gets our structure. I find it quite telling that he hasn't yet. Mugford has, and he's clearly the inferior player.

I would like to keep him if he improves, but he's gonna go to Bristol you would imagine. James is a more than good enough replacement, as long as we can find a goal kicker somewhere else.

Shep23 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:58
Every time McGinty has played I have seen as more of he Ricky Flutey type player. He has looked like he has the attributes to be a decent 12 when he has played for us. Decent passer, good tackler and decent kicking out of hand, and likes a bit of contact.

He just hasn't looked the part at 10.

Maybe that's just because of our system, which is of marked difference to the one utilised at Connacht.

I anticipate if we do sign Ford, it will be a question of whether MacGintys wage packet is feasible as a second string fly Half (I accept he will still get a lot of game time). Also, will he accept it or prefer a fresh opportunity.

We will only know when the club decide, and judging by our media strategy, we won't know for a while

H's D (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 15:25
Sam James is a natural 10, 12 or 13! Always has been, always will be! However he can be done for pace at 13 on the outside and that is his weakest position in defense...

Pretty good at 15 as well when he has played there....He's just very good at reading the game...

Manifestly he's currently preferred at 10 to "the best fly-half in the Pro 12", so why is he not a "natural"?.

It's blinkered to state otherwise with any certainty....his dad and I still discuss it regularly....His dad was a very good 10: it's in his genes!

I would love him to be partnered at 10/12 with McGinty: both HAVE DIFFERENT STRENGTHS IN EACH POSITION and both have different styles of preferred play: put them both on the pitch and synergism is very likely...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 15:27 by H's D.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:12
I still think Maginty is a fine player in development. Perhaps we all underestimate how good Bundee Aki is at Connacht and how much he helped AJ last year.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:17
"He is by far the best fly half in the Pro12;
Would not Sexton and Jackson have something to say about that? or even Finn Russell, the current top 10 in the pro 12..imho of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 17:22 by emerging shark.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:18
maybe he was in the 2 weeks it took dimes to scout and recuit him, an approach he's now replicating with George Ford (allegedly).

MikeGC (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:34
Quote:
H's D

His dad was a very good 10: it's in his genes!

and his Granddad

Barend (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 18:17
I wonder how he would go at 15 too. Is he quick enough?

Olyy (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 18:58
MacGinty wasn't first choice at Connacht, he got his shot towards the end of the season because of injury.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 19:08
Quote:
Olyy
MacGinty wasn't first choice at Connacht, he got his shot towards the end of the season because of injury.
Well he was 1st pick ahead of Jack Carty and Shane O'Leary and Craig Ronaldson was better at 12.
He "got his shot" because he was no longer injured himself.

11 January, 2017 19:13
Was Marmion playing 9 last season? He looks very nippy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 19:13 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 20:30
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Was Marmion playing 9 last season? He looks very nippy.
He only plays 9 as far as I know. Their 2nd choice 9 Caolin Blade played back up 10 at the weekend for them since they've nearly all their fly-halves injured again.

11 January, 2017 20:59
I should have been more precise - did Marmion partner MacGinty last season - ie were they the normal starting half back pairing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 21:30 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

11 January, 2017 21:28
Marmion. Kirkham GS pupil...

thekeg (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 22:52
I don't think anyone said he was the best fly half,in the pro 12, merely that he was the best defensive fly half

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 12:42
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
I should have been more precise - did Marmion partner MacGinty last season - ie were they the normal starting half back pairing?
Macginty only had 7 starts and 4 bench appearances for connacht last year. i'd say he spent most of his pitch time partnered with kieran marmion.

clutch (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 13:06
Is that it!! Intriguing.

12 January, 2017 17:35
'He is by far the best fly half in the Pro12;'
I assumed that was a direct quote from Dimes thekeg?

thekeg (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 18:20
Quote:
emerging shark
'He is by far the best fly half in the Pro12;' I assumed that was a direct quote from Dimes thekeg?

Three were a few interviews published when we signed him, some included the word defensive others didn't, I rhrj heart an audio which referred to best defensive fly half so think that some transcripts misquoted him.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 18:47
Just a note: the words are taken from the website and accompany his photo on the players page. If he, Dimes, has been misquoted it is Sale wot done it.

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 19:53
Dejavu?... didn't a certain Mr Cipriani receive similar criticism, doubts about his commitment ability, dissing etc, and were not we very upset by his leaving?
Just saying FWIW (Sm100)

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

thekeg (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 20:32
Quote:
DaveAitch
Just a note: the words are taken from the website and accompany his photo on the players page. If he, Dimes, has been misquoted it is Sale wot done it.

Would that be a surprise? winking smiley

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 20:42
Quote:
clutch
Is that it!! Intriguing.
10 starts 4 substitutions once challenge cup appearances are included.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Sale Sharks Poll

Who is the EP legends Openside Flanker?

See results > Submit >>