rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team for Sunday?
45jumper (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 10:03
So what team do we reckon we'll see over the weekend? I hope Diamond doesn't go for a patented "Europe Away" kind of team where we're set up for a thrashing before the game even starts.
I'd pick something like...

McGuigan
Charnley
Addison
Leota
Solomona
MacGinty
Mitchell

Harrison
Webber
Longbottom
Evans
Ostrikov
Ioane
Curry
Pearce

Subs
Briggs, Flynn, Aulika, Mills, Nott/Curry, Phillips/Dever, James, Odogwu

However, I could see Solomona being rested with either McGuigan or Odogwu replacing him. There isn't much need to risk him, but on the other hand he's playing so well at the minute it'd be foolish to drop our most potent threat!
Haley's in a bit of a lull of form so I'd take him out for this one, whilst the Leota/Addison combo worked well and I'd like to see more. I picked a big pack because the Toulon one is monstrous and picking the likes of Neild and Seymour is not, in my opinion, the way to stop them. Curry has incredible physicality for his age and Ioane hits hard, Pearce is in because if Beaumont has a knock there's no need to rest him.

Re: Team for Sunday?
2007dwain (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:40
Agreed with that. Fair point well made Barbera

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:00
Good team - one slightly disagreement around Hayly - I also agree he's not quite hit the heights from last season so perhaps more game time, bit less pressure would be good for him

I was impressed by McGuigan last week BTW so not a pop at him in any way. Seems really solid

With Phillips knowledge of the opponents plus their big pack perhaps he should be starting this though I think it's great Mitchell is getting a good opportunity to show us what he can do - his box kicking was pretty good at Quins last week - just needs to get his speed of the ball away from the ruck quicker

clutch (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 12:42
Sorry but the League is all that matters. Being in Europe with a small squad has caused us issues in the league in my opinion. We will surely play a fringe side.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 13:24
Whatever team is selected all we can ask is that the players do their best. I think clutch is more likely to be correct, but who knows which way the cookie will crumble.

McGuigan always seems to have done okay on the chances he has had.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 14:34
Quote:
clutch
Sorry but the League is all that matters. Being in Europe with a small squad has caused us issues in the league in my opinion. We will surely play a fringe side.

I see your point - the other viewpoint is trying to get a settled team used to playing with each other before the Prem restarts as opposed to starting from scratch again with the first league match.

Ellastone Basking (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 21:54
Hope we give it a good go it would be great for morale to come home with a win. Personally I am looking forward to going to Toulon as it's my sons 21st birthday present!!

2007dwain (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 08:19
Not in anyway expecting a win but as long as we lose in good form and not 50 points under it's not a disgrace

12 January, 2017 08:54
Adison was removed from the Euro rounds and replaced!!

23Shark (IP Logged)
12 January, 2017 09:43
But he's been re-registered and Denny has been taken out

Quote:
CHAMPIONS CUP ADDITIONAL PLAYERS
ASM Clermont Auvergne
Additional player: Stephen BRETT
Nationality: New Zealand
Position: Outside half
Deregistered: Hosea Gear

Connacht Rugby
Additional player: John ANDRESS
Nationality: Ireland
Position: Prop
Deregistered: Conan O'Donnell

Additional player: Tom FARRELL
Position: Centre
Deregistered: Cormac Brennan

Exeter Chiefs
Additional player: Stuart TOWNSEND
Nationality: England
Position: Scrum half
Deregistered: Dave Ewers

Leicester Tigers
Additional player: Charlie THACKER
Deregistered: Manu Tuilagi

Northampton Saints
Additional player: Juan Pablo ESTELLES
Nationality: Argentina
Deregistered: Jamie Elliott

RC Toulon
Additional player: Matt GITEAU
Nationality: Australia
Deregistered: Matt Carraro

Sale Sharks
Additional player: Will ADDISON
Position: Wing
Deregistered: Denny Solomona

Saracens
Additional player: Ben EARL
Position: No 8
Deregistered: Billy Vunipola

Scarlets
Additional player: Nicky THOMAS
Nationality: Wales
Deregistered: Luke Garrett

Toulouse
Additional player: Julien MARCHAND
Nationality: France
Position: Hooker
Deregistered: Peato Mauvaka

Ulster Rugby
Additional player: Jonny SIMPSON
Deregistered: Dan Tuohy

Zebre Rugby
Additional player: Kurt BAKER
Nationality: New Zealand
Deregistered: Giovanni D'Onofrio

12 January, 2017 09:43
...by Solomona. Nick Scott (remember him? - winger #17) was also de-registered

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net