rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

IMPORTANT. Please read before you post next.
05 April, 2017 11:43
<editor>
Some of you may have noticed a slight change to the wording at the top of the board.

Last night (4/4/17), I came across a post that contained a completely uncalled-for, and possibly libellous, remark. I deleted the remark, left a warning and moved on.

This morning, I'm getting my ear bent by a spittingly furious club, outraged that someone could say something like that (I'm not going to repeat the comment, so don't ask). I have every sympathy with the club's reaction - it was something that I didn't even have to think about removing - but I don't particularly want to be trying to soothe ruffled feathers when I'm trying to get ready to go somewhere for an appointment.

Also, anything that gets me even tangentially involved in the merest suggestion of legal action is not going to best please me.

Look, folks. I do this "job" strictly as a volunteer and strictly part-time. I do it because, on the whole, it is not an onerous task and because I want the Sale supporters to have a place to talk rugby and generally kick back and enjoy some craic. But... the moment it starts to become a burden is the moment I walk away.

So, here's the thing. Up till now, I have always implemented a policy of "no ban without a warning", so I have not wielded the banhammer over last night's incident.

Consider this a block warning to everyone.

From this point on, any comments that stray into the sort of territory detailed at the top of the board will result in an immediate ban, duration at my discretion. You will have to trust me that I know and will respect the difference between "I believe X to have behaved morally reprehensibly in this specific matter" (not bannable) and "X is a pathological liar" (instant ban).

You know me - I don't intervene willy-nilly, and I'm prepared to allow fairly robust discussion. That isn't going to change. What will change is my response to stepping over the bounds.

This is not up for discussion. If you don't like the new rules, or if you have any complaints in future about actions that I may take against a poster, then there are two options, both of which involve me walking away from this role. Option 1) I walk away and hand the reins over to someone else. Option 2) I walk away, no-one takes over and the board dies two weeks after the last front page article goes up.

As you may have guessed, the club are not the only ones feeling a bit angry and aggrieved this morning. I am angry that once again the actions of yet another thoughtless poster have put me in this position of having to try to mend bridges. That feeling is compounded by the simple fact that you all take this board for granted and are quite happy to come here and kick the furniture around but, when I ask for a bit of help tidying up, you all disappear apart from a few dependables.

After the Bath game, we have a period of nearly four months with no rugby. However, this site still needs to be fed front page stories every two weeks. I am happy to keep it ticking over during the season but, off-season, I want a rest from coming up with ideas (I have other things to write too, you know).

So, the second point of this (long) post is to once more make the call for people to volunteer to write one story that I can post over the course of the summer to keep the board alive. If six or seven people all write one article, that should see us through. And I don't want to just hear from the usual suspects who step in to help. Somebody else can front up.

And here comes the second threat. I will not write anything myself after I've written the Bath match report and before my report on next season's first home game. If no-one comes forward to help, this board will go quiet for the whole summer.

That's it. Carry on. I'm now going to mow the lawn and take the dog for a walk.
</editor>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2017 22:16 by Cap'n Major Bloodnok.

Re: IMPORTANT. Please read before you post next.
iBozz (IP Logged)
06 April, 2017 06:48
Point taken, Major, but I cannot see how the Club can call either yourself or your fellow Editors to account provided that you took appropriate action as soon as having your attention drawn to the posts in question.

The original poster may well deserve the opprobrium of the Club (I didn't see the post so have no opinion) but to hold you responsible is, I submit, a little unfair,

Most of the posters on this august and highly esteemed forum value your voluntary efforts at keeping us on the straight and narrow. Keep up the good work and rest assured that we shall accept your decisions where you feel lines may be crossed.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

06 April, 2017 11:55
iBozz: I'm not suggesting that I was being held in any way responsible, it's just that I'm a natural point of contact to receive the - shall we say? - fury. I merely wanted to point that I don't appreciate being involved even tangentially in such things.

BTW. At this time there are no "fellow editors", there's just me.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

iBozz (IP Logged)
06 April, 2017 16:47
Fair enough, Majar. I inferred that the Club were annoyed with you as well the guilty party.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2017 10:39
Major. I am sure that everyone who uses the forum appreciates the role you play as editor. It is testament both to your skill in that role, and to the general common sense of most posters, that you rarely have to intervene as was evidently required recently.

Unfortunately, occasionally, people will post without thinking their comments through properly. Where such comments cause offence, or worse, are potentially libellous, you are right to warn, censor and ultimately ban the offending party. Otherwise the forum risks a descent into chaos and there is the risk of other repercussions as well.

I, for one, congratulate you on what I consider to be the sensible, balanced approach that you take to a role performed voluntarily. I am sorry that the recent incident has understandably upset you but I am sure that you have the support of the overwhelming majority on this board for the future.

Thanks for the work that you do.

07 April, 2017 12:39
Thank you, Chris

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg

yukon (IP Logged)
07 April, 2017 22:06
How's about a team of "moderators" as opposed to just you as "editor" keeping the ship afloat?

07 April, 2017 22:08
If anybody fancies helping out, just let me know.

yukon (IP Logged)
07 April, 2017 22:58
Quote:
Cap'n Major Bloodnok
If anybody fancies helping out, just let me know.

I think a summer pow-wow of like minded individuals might be a good idea but provisionally, as a Sharks fan & appreciator of this forum (work permitting) I'd be in

08 April, 2017 09:56
Thanks, yukon. I've had a couple of offers to help now and these are much appreciated. I'll get back to you all to sort out where we go with it.

I would also very much appreciate someone to step up and take over the role of publishing front page stories over the summer. As I said, I will do the match report of the Bath game, and then I will not be doing any more until next season starts. If you want this board to be active over the summer, then someone is going to have to put their hand up (or several someones).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net