rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Faf de Klerk
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2017 11:47

Re: Faf de Klerk
H's Dad... (IP Logged)
14 April, 2017 13:12

14 April, 2017 13:17
Sports journos repeat same story - that's a first Shirley.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2017 13:33
Quote:

Oops yes. Senior moment!

Osshark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 03:25
Neil Fissler posting on twitter that the Faf and James O'connor deal are "all off." Ho hum.

yukon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 07:46
Quote:
Osshark
Neil Fissler posting on twitter that the Faf and James O'connor deal are "all off." Ho hum.

Can you do a link please, I can't see that on Fissler's twitter feed

15 April, 2017 07:50
a gary Holmes asks how close Sale are to Faf & O'Connor and Fiss replies "all off".

Also this:-

"Sorry added to great works of fiction Mike Brown to Saracens or Leicester, Ben Te'o to Leicester, Danny Care to Bath, Ben Spencer to Sale ."

yukon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 08:01
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
a gary Holmes asks how close Sale are to Faf & O'Connor and Fiss replies "all off".

"Sorry added to great works of fiction Mike Brown to Saracens or Leicester, Ben Te'o to Leicester, Danny Care to Bath, Ben Spencer to Sale ."

Cheers.

If true, it once again proves the old "2-3 week" theory really means "we haven't signed anyone". Shame

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 09:45
Not really fiction, just premature. Only the opening chapter was ever written. An all too common "psychological" problem: Journo's, DORs and supporters apparently all suffer: (ejaculatio praecox!)

Sarries are looking for a high quality scrum half, nothing will happen unless they sign one.
Ben still has a year to run on his contract. Why on earth would they let him go till they're sorted themselves!?

That has been the situation for at least a couple of months now, but it may well take another ten. Is that soon enough for Sale? Apparently not: hence they looked to S.A.!
All pretty obvious.

The pen is in abeyance, but everything else may well have been in place. The foreplay was just far too public!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2017 09:48 by H's Dad....

15 April, 2017 10:04
You'd better have a post-coital fag now Vitnery.

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 10:35
Just made the mistake of looking at Fissler's twitter. I forgot just what an arrogant, rude little man he is! He seems incapable of answering anybody in a civil manner.

15 April, 2017 10:42
Millwall fan - say no more.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 11:39
Ben still has a year to run on his contract. Why on earth would they let him go till they're sorted themselves!?'
just possibly because they can't offer him regular game time and are hedging on a new contract. Most players want new contracts sorted about a year before their existing contract expires...

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 13:06
Quote:

All of whom he touted
That people consider him the be all and end all of transfers is crazy,
He's the epitome of "throw enough @#$%& at the wall and some of it will stick"

15 April, 2017 13:16
Nah - he talks to agents who try to get the best deals for their players. It's professional sport. He himself is a soccer fan. No doubt Sale did talk to those players' agents to justify their moolah.

Homsey (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 13:39
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:

All of whom he touted

That was me - not sure how much ITK Neil is - obviously more than me though.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 15:44
The other thing to bear in mind is he seemingly never confirms a deal in reply to someone on twitter if it isn't yet done and dusted. He wants people to buy his paper....

15 April, 2017 17:56
Faf on the bench for Lions. As we speak on 77 min he has not been used. Any significance ? i.e. Out of favour as he's on his way to us ??

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 08:53
Quote:
Pappje Shark
The other thing to bear in mind is he seemingly never confirms a deal in reply to someone on twitter if it isn't yet done and dusted. He wants people to buy his paper....

And lo.....apparently today's TRP says both De Klerk and O'Connor are "done deals". QED.

yukon (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 09:18
Quote:
Homsey
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:

All of whom he touted

That was me - not sure how much ITK Neil is - obviously more than me though.

I think if you throw a handful of darts at a board, so will hit. He's obviously got some inside knowledge mind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2017 09:24 by yukon.

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 09:19
Quote:
Pappje Shark
Quote:
Pappje Shark

And lo.....apparently today's TRP says both De Klerk and O'Connor are "done deals". QED.

TBF he does like to stir @#$%& on his Twitter for some twisted reason. So that could be his way of trying to get a reaction on this board.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 10:55
I don't think he's stirring here. More simply that he isn't going to give away for free what's in his column the next day.

16 April, 2017 11:02
Reports that Dimes is after Tongan lock/flanker Dan Faleafa.

Tigger (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 11:42
Quote:
Pappje Shark
I don't think he's stirring here. More simply that he isn't going to give away for free what's in his column the next day.

Neil Fissler‏ @neilfissler
Replying to @SaleRugbyNews and @TheRugbyPaper
Apologise for saying the deals were off. But I'm not going to give stuff away and annoy my employers and don't want to be rude and not reply

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 11:53
For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not Fissler!

SaintED (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 13:02
With Ackermann off to Glaws might de Clerk be headed there?

23Shark (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 14:42
Quote:
SaintED
With Ackermann off to Glaws might de Clerk be headed there?

Fissler has now said they're done deals and he doesn't say that without being sure

Olyy (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 19:45
Quote:
Reports that Dimes is after Tongan lock/flanker Dan Faleafa.
Surely we've already got enough back rowers who can play lock?
We need an actual second rower!

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:25
Apparently it's less rude and deliberately misleading to lie on twitter than than not reply!
The new morality!
What happened to "Buy the rugby paper early tomorrow and you'll be the first to know?"[:wor kid:]

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:28
It would appear he's taken umbrage at Withington's comments....

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:50
Quote:
Pappje Shark

It does seem he like to dredge the network forums for tidbits.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 12:02
Why didn't he just reply appropriately in the first place?
Why was he so reluctant to promote his employer on twitter?

WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 12:15
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Quote:
Pappje Shark

It does seem he like to dredge the network forums for tidbits.

Are you calling me a tidbit? (Sm111)

There is no need for rudeness on social media and he as a "journalist" should be well above that sort of thing. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, I don't know...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 15:23 by WithingtonShark.

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 12:35
Quote:
H's Dad...
Why didn't he just reply appropriately in the first place?
Why was he so reluctant to promote his employer on twitter?

Quite, bizarre reaction from him

17 April, 2017 19:17
Sale statement:-

[www.salesharks.com]

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 14:38
Quote:
Sale statement:-
[www.salesharks.com]

Apologies if this has already been picked up, but I hadn't seen it and it's worth a look.

[youtu.be]

I was particularly amused as my 5'3", 9.5 stone frame was used in exactly the same way around 1967.

Back then the ref objected and blew up, but then admitted it was only because he'd never seen it done before and couldn't believe it was legal!

camshark (IP Logged)
02 July, 2017 09:55
Played at 10 for a big chunk of the demolition of sunwolves by Lions (94-7), scored a try , great acceleration and distribution.
Maybe we have another option at 10 if JOC and AJ( picked up another hamstring problem with USA yesterday) are not fit for the beginning of the season !

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
23 July, 2017 16:02
Replaced Elton Jantjes at 10 in the Super Rugby 1/4 final against Sharks, which was a cracking game, Lions Ruan Combrinck kicked a 58mtr pen in overtime to win 23-21.

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

Headington Shark (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 06:22
He didn't get enough game time to really see how he handles 10. But he was competent enough and the Lions staff clearly trust him to do the job there in a tight knockout game.

To be honest they'd have been a lot better off if they'd started him (at 9). Credit to the Sharks though. They really brought it, which I kind of wasn't expecting. Not 100% sure that Dan du Preez try was actually a try though.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 09:12
why is a springbok 9 not starting for his club side?

Monty9 (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 10:23
Not 100% sure MW but I believe it's the same reason he was dropped from the SA squad, which was publicly said because he will soon be ineligible.

clutch (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 12:38
At least if we have a repeat of the Gloucester (I think) game, it means Faf will be more comfortable than Phillips was at 10!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 13:20
shows he's a good all round footballer. We need to break the game up enough to make the most of that ability.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 14:59
'I believe it's the same reason he was dropped from the SA squad, which was publicly said because he will soon be ineligible'
Why will he soon be ineligible? Ruan Pieenar is still in the squad.

ale shark (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 15:01
Faf has less than the required 30 caps for overseas players

MartWhit (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 15:13
not sure why that would atter to the Lions in a crucial Super Rugby QF. Surely they'd play what they perceive to be their strongest team?

Headington Shark (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 15:38
While I believe Faf is the better 9 Cronje is a good option.

Faf also isn't the most consistent of players. He's a little bit more Cips-esque.

Others are right to point out though that Cronje seems to move above Faf in the pecking order once rumours started about him coming to Sale. Ackermann said he'd spoken with Faf about his form, which he perceived to have dipped.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 15:43
The change in pecking order at 9 does seem have happened once it was known he was leaving.

But his form as a 10 vs the current Springbok starter in the position doesnt speak to a guy either out of form or lacking commitment. He's looked v tidy.

IMo, the consistnecy issue is more one of not yet having learned to control the game as effectively when his pack is on the back foot, as he can when they're going forward.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 17:50
Yes you would have thought they would play the best possible team no matter what, I certainly would, but again I believe the Boks have more say over their club teams than we do

Monty9 (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 17:52
He does look fairly decent as a 10 though doesn't he? Anyone want to start reconsidering our back line? Lol

thekeg (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 17:53
I guess if they rate the other 9 as being st a similar level they want him to have as much experience as possible for next year.

madders (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 09:12
Looks like Connor Dever has gone. Twitter suggests he's in Italy now, and he's not on the offy. Just de Klerk and Cliff then...?

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 09:38
Well we just signed up Matt Sturgess from the academy.

Seems a good prospect, guess the club think he is a better fit than Dever?

thekeg (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 16:14
Quote:
madders
Looks like Connor Dever has gone. Twitter suggests he's in Italy now, and he's not on the offy. Just de Klerk and Cliff then...?

What suggests he is in Italy?

madders (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 16:50
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
madders

[www.newsbiella.it]

thekeg (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 17:06
Quote:
madders
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
madders

[www.newsbiella.it]

Interesting. Could be a loan?

Yareet (IP Logged)
30 July, 2017 20:41
Quote:
madders

Taken from the Quins board who got it from Saints who nicked it off Bath (cheers BathSalmon)

[m.rugbynetwork.net]

Seems our squad is tiny

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 July, 2017 21:24
We are definitely running a small squad and have done for a while, but this academy numbers can't be right. We don't just have 4 of them!

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
30 July, 2017 22:12
Quote:
thekeg
We are definitely running a small squad and have done for a while, but this academy numbers can't be right. We don't just have 4 of them!

Since that post we've since added 7 lads to the academy

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 01:59
I assume those are numbers registered with premiership (or believed by OP to be registered). I don't believe we only have 11 in our academy. The list also still has Kieran Longbottom with us but doesn't have WillGriff John. It does have O'Connor though, could just be a miss by OP, but suggests not dealing with official info.

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

31 July, 2017 08:13
That list doesn't have Flynny either.

Offy has 34 in senior squad, 11 in the Jets, 32 in the U18 (some are also Jets).

Yareet (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 08:49
Quote:
That list doesn't have Flynny either.
Offy has 34 in senior squad[b][/b], 11 in the Jets, 32 in the U18 (some are also Jets).

Which is tiny in comparison with most other squads. Only Saints and Tigers have fewer than 40 according to that table.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 09:13
Back to Faf,.

At least he'll be fresh when he arrives. He managed 4 mins at the weekend I think

ale shark (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 09:33
Another week away from joining up with the squad.

Sounds like a good comeback win for the Lions.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 09:50
Have to say I am really looking forward to seeing Faf with us though I am still very concerned as what we have as back up to him

clutch (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 12:31
Wouldn't be ideal if he was injured. Still, Cliff has a nice pass, so if he can ship the ball to O'Connor and kick well from hand then it wouldn't be that bad.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 13:00
Quote:
clutch
Wouldn't be ideal if he was injured. Still, Cliff has a nice pass, so if he can ship the ball to O'Connor and kick well from hand then it wouldn't be that bad.
Do you see O'Connor starting at 10 ahead of AJ?

Yareet (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 13:14
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
clutch

Apparently Dimes sees JOC as a 10 so I hope he'd play him over AJ

MartWhit (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 14:26
I'm very much hoping AJ gets first Dibs on playing with Faf and building on his strong end to last season. I think he's the one in tune with our attack plan.

Having said that, if he did his hamstring again in the US, he may miss enough pre-season to make the choice irrelevant for the first part of the season.

thekeg (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 14:33
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
clutch

He seems the have come in as a 10 and unless there an issue in the next month he will surely be given the first run in September.

ale shark (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 14:41
Having brand new half-backs with zero pre-season time with the squad is asking for trouble, no mater how talented the players are.

Is JOC going to be fit for the start of the season?

thekeg (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 17:19
Quote:
ale shark
Having brand new half-backs with zero pre-season time with the squad is asking for trouble, no mater how talented the players are.
Is JOC going to be fit for the start of the season?

That's a good point....guess that counts as an issue!

Crutch (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 17:29
Ask the question another way, if JoC isn't going to play 10, then whom from 11-15 is he replacing as a regular starter? He's certainly not come in to be on the bench.

I don't see him being brought in so that any of Charnley, Sam J, Will, Denny or Haley move to the bench on a regular basis.

The only real obvious candidate based on form last year would be Charnley, but there are obvious reasons for his performance last year. You could say the same about AJ to be fair, but the noises from the club seem to be more supportive of the development potential of Charnley compared to AJ.

It might be that on an individual basis JoC would be a better player than a number of those at 11-15, but in terms of improving the team as a whole, clearly our weakest link last year was at 10.

Of course we don't know how JoC will go at 10, but it seems pretty clear to me, even without the fact that Dimes has said that's where he's going to play, that's what the intention is. So I'm quite surprised at any posters who seem to think that AJ will be first choice at 10?

MikeGC (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 18:48
I guess that the opening half back partnership will be Cliff and AJ
JO'C fighting for fitness
Faf fighting to settle down

ale shark (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 19:54
Quote:
Crutch
Ask the question another way, if JoC isn't going to play 10, then whom from 11-15 is he replacing as a regular starter? He's certainly not come in to be on the bench.

I know what you're saying Crutch but if we have genuine ambition of top 6 and play-offs then we need to move away from pencilling a first XV, we need a full squad who can all contribute whenever called upon. Leota will still play a huge roll, I'd imagine he'll start most away games.

Dimes has said on camera that O'Connor is his 10. I don't believe him but he'll certainly get a fair amount of game time there.

Crutch (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 22:22
Totally agree and I'm hopeful we can use the squad more next year. My point is in relation to the fact that a number of posters seem to think AJ will be first choice at 10, ignoring potential injuries, international call-ups and the fact of rotation...

clutch (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 23:00
Slightly odd and elaborate lie. I was listening to the Rugby Dungeon interview and he said Diamond wants him to win back the 10 shirt for Aus.

AJ was excellent against Bath, but he struggled to fit in with the structure. Phillips probably did as well, so we had to adapt. We have gone out and identified players who we believe will fit into the structure. Any signing has risk, but it's fairly likely we got both our men.

It is totally fair that AJ will start, and by that note, it is his to lose, or O'Connor's to gain off the bench. The only other position I can see him playing is 15, if Haley doesn't kick on next season. I think he will, hopefully, as he had injury issues last pre season.

Also worth pointing out that Charley will have to take the shirt of McGuigan.

It is so exciting to having these chats. Genuine competition in most positions. Means we can pick on form and rotate. Though rotation will be less important with the secondary european competition.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 04:53
Heartily agree about the excitement in being able to have this kind of chat again. I agree it would be fair that AJ has the 10 shirt to lose, but pro sport isn't fair, you have to see the point that you don't splash out on a player like O'Connor to sit him on the bench. Apparent injuries to both may mean it possible at the moment that we could start with James at 10 again.

Not so sure that rotation will be less important this season, it could be more so as we may well view the lower competition as one that we can win, clearly not a view we have taken lately with the Champions Cup. (yes I am aware of Dimes interview outlining his priorities).

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 06:48
IIRC from the ST BBQ day, JOC suggested he would be back or was hoping to be back in about 3 weeks, so a couple more from now I guess.

01 August, 2017 08:49
It's probably a "Dimes" three weeks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net