rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Sale Sharks Statement
SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:02
Sale Sharks Director of Rugby Steve Diamond has, this evening, said that press speculation about the signings of James O'Connor and Faf de Klerk are incorrect.
Diamond said, " I have not spoken to either player and don't know where the speculation has come from. We have announced several new signings recently and we are in negotiations with several more players. Once they sign a Sharks contract we will make announcements."

Re: Sale Sharks Statement
Shep23 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:07
Shame

yukon (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:11
Fissler walks the earth like a god....(Sm120)

It's a shame though, they would have been a serious sign of intent. I'm sure there's good news to come though & when I say "I'm sure", I mean "I hope"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 19:12 by yukon.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:22
They might yet sign of course - this says that they haven't. Either way, more squad depth on the way by the sounds of it which should be good news.

Olyy (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:43
Done deal™

Shame, though - would love to see both in Sale shirts next season.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:46
Interesting statement. If we had signed or close to them I can't see why they would release this

HaleShark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 20:07
Interesting statement from he club, they don't usually do this type of press release so there must be some unique reason why they have done so this time.

It doesn't say that we won't sign them and would be a coup if we did but considering the out of character statement I would speculate they won't come the A.J.Bell. Maybe the statement was to reassure players who we are pursuing to sign for us.

Olyy (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 20:56
Quote:
HaleShark

It doesn't say that we won't sign them and would be a coup if we did but considering the out of character statement I would speculate they won't come the A.J.Bell. Maybe the statement was to reassure players who we are pursuing to sign for us.
That was my first thought: If we're trying to sign someone who is looking to leave their club to be first choice elsewhere then the speculation of signing someone else won't help the deal

Glossopshark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 21:11
Would welcome De Clerk, but have no interest in O'Connor for a few reasons.

How many clubs have to do this?

yukon (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 21:20
Fissler is claiming the statement's nonsense, the deals are done and he's frankly abusing anyone who thinks otherwise. It's about time the Rugby Paper put him in his box; his attitude on social media is embarrassing. The RP is generally great but he is obnoxious in the extreme- his Tweets to Nathan Middleton are ridiculous

Glossopshark (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 21:25
Its really hard to believe anything that comes out of the club,and especially Diamond.

The sooner we appoint someone who can really be the PR face of the club the better

stevene (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 23:07
Couple of observations:

O'Connor. Nothing was ever going to be signed and sealed until after the LNR has ruled re his cocaine use. If he is suspended for any length then that may complicate the deal. Equally sale may want to pursue alternatives in the event of a long ban.

De Klerk. He is still in contract for more than 12 months. straeuli has already gone on record re his displeasure re de Klerks agent. Sale could be accused of tapping up another player. Therefore until that is worked out nothing will be signed and sealed. Equally any further bad PR re tapping up de Klerk won't help the solomona mediation.

fwiw I think fissler is probably on the money that deals are done with the agents. But they are done in principle only. The statement is, to me, worded to try and avoid ruling out signing them, it merely states they haven't already signed. They also state dimes hasn't spoken to the players. Doesn't mention their representatives. It also doesn't rule them out as potential signings from the potential new players.

I must say whilst fissler isn't always right his strike rate is pretty good. Clearly he gets the majority of his gossip from agencies. His twitter profile is a bit victor meldrew/ ukip love child but what do you expect from a millwall fan? All those accusing him of being full of BS because the club has made a statement need to check our DoR's factual accuracy re expectation and subsequent events. Think dimes has a trump level accuracy rate in that regard. Time will tell.

Homsey (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 01:08
Both look like done deals - must be issues with announcements, compensation and possible bans. Don't think dimes has said we're not signing them both. De Klerk - top scrum half - 26 in his prime. O'Connor can play 10/12/15 and wing - will probably start at 12 with Mcginty at 10 - both excellent signings and statement of intents. Look forward to when the club can announce them.

yukon (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 04:30
Quote:
stevene
Couple of observations:
O'Connor. Nothing was ever going to be signed and sealed until after the LNR has ruled re his cocaine use. If he is suspended for any length then that may complicate the deal. Equally sale may want to pursue alternatives in the event of a long ban.

De Klerk. He is still in contract for more than 12 months. straeuli has already gone on record re his displeasure re de Klerks agent. Sale could be accused of tapping up another player. Therefore until that is worked out nothing will be signed and sealed. Equally any further bad PR re tapping up de Klerk won't help the solomona mediation.

fwiw I think fissler is probably on the money that deals are done with the agents. But they are done in principle only. The statement is, to me, worded to try and avoid ruling out signing them, it merely states they haven't already signed. They also state dimes hasn't spoken to the players. Doesn't mention their representatives. It also doesn't rule them out as potential signings from the potential new players.

I must say whilst fissler isn't always right his strike rate is pretty good. Clearly he gets the majority of his gossip from agencies. His twitter profile is a bit victor meldrew/ ukip love child but what do you expect from a millwall fan? All those accusing him of being full of BS because the club has made a statement need to check our DoR's factual accuracy re expectation and subsequent events. Think dimes has a trump level accuracy rate in that regard. Time will tell.

Hasn't the Solomona case settled?

18 April, 2017 07:22
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9o1u7JWAAAzL8y.jpg

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

iBozz (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 09:27
Quote:
Diamond said, " I have not spoken to either player and don't know where the speculation has come from ...

I have no idea of the veracity of the speculation and, to be frank, I personally couldn't care a monkey's proverbial until any deal with anyone is signed, sealed and delivered.

But all Mr Dimes has said is that "I" have not spoken to either player. Does he not, as do all The Great and The Good, have "people" to do the spadework for him? He hasn't said anything about to whom his "people" might or might not be speaking.

And as a basic rule of thumb, never ever believe anything that comes out of or has been touched by a PR department unless and until verified by conclusive proof. There's nothing personal about that observation, merely bitter experience gained over many more years than I care to remember operating as an itinerant mountebank and charlatan preying on the congenitally gullible.

Just a thought.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

ale shark (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 09:54
Again I find myself asking myself - why say anything at all?

I'm a firm believer in if you've got nothing worthwhile to say then don't say anything at all. Dimes should just be banned from publicly speaking about transfers until deals are done and ready to be announced, nothing he says in this respect helps our cause.

Do our PR department (Sm100) really have such inflated egos to think that anyone outside their 3,000 customers care about Sale related transfer gossip that they have to realease statements? It’s obviously nice to hear about us being linked to decent players but just leave it to forums and social media chat until the ink is dry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 09:55 by ale shark.

H's D (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 09:59
It's probably worth pointing out that had he spoken to a player under an R.U. contract for another 12 months about signing him he would have broken Premiership rules governing such things.

This sort of official club statement might also assist the court case wrt purported inappropriate approaches made to Solomona (whilst under a R.L. contract). That might well be coming to a critical stage.

I also expect Fissler isn't currently on Dimes' or Swanny's birthday card list. Agents probably find him very useful though....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 10:00 by H's D.

Conwy Shark (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 10:11
In the words of the immortal Jim Hacker MP "never believe anything until it's officially denied" !!!.

H's D (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 10:21
Isn't that tantamount to calling Dimes a Politician (rather than a politician)?
Will the new moderators permit that sort of crass insult!?eye popping smiley

yukon (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 17:44
Quote:
H's D
Isn't that tantamount to calling Dimes a Politician (rather than a politician)?
Will the new moderators permit that sort of crass insult!?eye popping smiley

Personally, I'd be tempted to let it slide but don't encourage me to abuse my new editing powers...

Conwy Shark (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 14:27
Has it it come to pass that a remark can't be seen for what it is, humorous, or are people now so sensitive that they take offence at anything that doesn't correspond with their own point of view ?.

yukon (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 14:38
Quote:
Conwy Shark
Has it it come to pass that a remark can't be seen for what it is, humorous, or are people now so sensitive that they take offence at anything that doesn't correspond with their own point of view ?.

Who's offended on this thread? It's nothing but good natured, tongue in cheek stuff as far as I can tell

H's D (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 14:55
Absolutely, as the immortal Mrs Trellis might phrase it: Politicians often have their tongues between cheeks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2017 14:59 by H's D.

iBozz (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 15:12
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Conwy Shark

Who's offended on this thread? It's nothing but good natured, tongue in cheek stuff as far as I can tell

As my signature states:

Quote:
No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Alas, this is becoming increasingly true these days.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

Conwy Shark (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 15:13
Perhaps then it's me that's sensitive......especially when I'm being told off by "she who must (definitely) be obeyed" !!!

Prop at Work (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 14:14
Conwy - which was the offending comment? I can't see anything.

Hobb5y (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 08:43
Firstly, very happy with the signing of JOC and Faf. Really good signings and hopefully good for PR and the team.

But why was this statement ever needed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/06/2017 08:44 by Hobb5y.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 08:46
Fissler walks the rugby earth like a god (unfortunately).

ale shark (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 08:48
I agree but presumably it was because both players were under contract and Sale were being stung by the Solomona case. Did we ever get in trouble for tapping up Redpath? I can't remember that far back.

Hobb5y (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 08:57
I understand the possibility of needing to avoid looking like we were tapping up.

But this statement makes that situation look worse? Because it now looks an awful lot like we were speaking to these agents and that Fissler did have connections who were in the know and we were just worried about the legal situation.

I just think silence would have been better when the rumour is so specific.

iBozz (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 09:29
As I have pointed out before, the original statement says Diamond said, " I have not spoken to either player ..."

It emphatically does not say that the Club or anyone else has not spoken to anyone.

A theasurus also defines spoken as verbal, oral, vocal, viva voce, uttered, said, stated - it seems not to cover written communication.

Surely we have all had repeated experience of PR of all forms which teach us not to read the lines but to read between the lines?

I'm sure that Dimes' statement was perfectly correct and that he had not spoken to the gentlemen concerened.

Prop at Work (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 11:08
Damned if they do, damned if they don't. But, as usual, it ends up looking like amateur hour.

stevene (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 11:35
Quote:
iBozz
As I have pointed out before, the original statement says Diamond said, " I have not spoken to either player ..."
It emphatically does not say that the Club or anyone else has not spoken to anyone.

A theasurus also defines spoken as verbal, oral, vocal, viva voce, uttered, said, stated - it seems not to cover written communication.

Surely we have all had repeated experience of PR of all forms which teach us not to read the lines but to read between the lines?

I'm sure that Dimes' statement was perfectly correct and that he had not spoken to the gentlemen concerened.

Irrespective it just wasn't needed. No comment was needed and simply announce signings in due course (as we have done).

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 22:01
The statement almost certainly reduced premature OTT press and supporter speculation (which might well have been detrimental to the eventual successfull negotiations): in that respect it may well have had the desired effect. Who knows if we would have signed him if it was negotiated under the glare of significantly more publicity and hype?
Clearly the club thought it necessary.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 22:31
There is still no statement, that I can see, on the website about the result of the Solomona affair. Clearly the club think it is unnecessary. It is, after all, not exactly in the 'good news' column: certainly not a "set your alarm clocks" good news.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 23:10
Dirty Linen is best kept out of sight...There but for the grace of circumstance...?
Sale and every other club takes advantage of signing and retaining (young) players for far less than they are really worth just as readily as any R.L. team.
I doubt we would have done much different from Castleford were financial clout and circumstances reversed.
Whilst Solomona is fantastic in attack, his defense needs considerable attention before he realizes his full potential. His value is contentious depending on priorities.

yukon (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 07:19
Quote:
Hobb5y
Firstly, very happy with the signing of JOC and Faf. Really good signings and hopefully good for PR and the team.
But why was this statement ever needed?

Why was raking this up ever needed? You must have been "very happy" about the acquisition to @#$%& stir on the day the signing was announced

Prop at Work (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 08:21
Quote:
Why was raking this up ever needed?

A dozen responses in 24 hours suggests it's something that Sale supporters are happy to discuss.

stevene (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 09:32
Quote:
H's Dad...
Dirty Linen is best kept out of sight...There but for the grace of circumstance...?
Sale and every other club takes advantage of signing and retaining (young) players for far less than they are really worth just as readily as any R.L. team.
I doubt we would have done much different from Castleford were financial clout and circumstances reversed.
Whilst Solomona is fantastic in attack, his defense needs considerable attention before he realizes his full potential. His value is contentious depending on priorities.

I think considerable attention is a bit harsh. He goes a bit higher into the tackle than he should (as RL players are taught) and he gets drawn to the centre too easily but in the 14 games he played for us last season he certainly wasn't a turnstile. Charnley has considerably more work to do on defence than Denny. Addison, earlier on his career, was equally guilty of jumping in too early/ making the wrong call. That has improved recently (albeit his 'king hits' now appear to affect his health).

In terms of the two tries in the argentina match anyone can slip (the first try). The second try wasn't great but, too be honest, that was a bit of rabbit in the headlights. I thought he looked to hyped up in the first test, understandable considering everything which has gone on.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 10:11
Is 'considerable attention' before realizing his full potential a harsh criticism?
Certainly not a turnstile type insult but I never indicated that! I think he would accept that it needs significant work after his first 20 minutes....
His full potential being Lions representation, of course. His attacking skills are indeed that good! His defense isn't up to that level.

You yourself have identified the same 3 areas of concern I was thinking of. Technique, defensive positioning, and a suspicion of a bit of 'rabbit in headlights' through overexcitement/keenness to impress, on debut.

yukon (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 11:29
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:

A dozen responses in 24 hours suggests it's something that Sale supporters are happy to discuss.

Sale supporters still discuss Edgeley Park, which is equally as pointless

Prop at Work (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 11:57
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:

For goodness sake, Yukon, there is a whole TV channel devoted to 'History', is that equally pointless? Last night I watched the excellent documentary on the 1974 Invincibles - pointless! (I did not, however, watch 'Pointless', for obvious reasons).

People talk about what THEY find interesting. You don't HAVE to contribute.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 14:29
Learning from History is one of the most important characturistics of good governance/human endeavor. Unless one does, EVERYTHING is pointless.

yukon (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 20:08
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:

For goodness sake, Yukon, there is a whole TV channel devoted to 'History', is that equally pointless? Last night I watched the excellent documentary on the 1974 Invincibles - pointless! (I did not, however, watch 'Pointless', for obvious reasons).

Immeant moving back to Edgeley- pointless, like raking this up. Utter nonsense.

Try backing the players instead of taking swipes at the club/ Dimes

21 June, 2017 20:13
We do back the players - we help to pay their wages.

Discussing a return to EP is pointless. The current franchise owners have talked about building a new ground. No problem with that.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

21 June, 2017 21:43
Some of my happiest memories of watching Sale were at EP. Sorry if I keep going on about it too much.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41407000/jpg/_41407625_dallaglio220.jpg

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 00:00
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:

It's an open forum. We are all club supporters. As PAW says, if you don't want to read about what others want to talk about, that is your prerogative. Fact is that the clubs conduct in this matter over a period of time is open to question. We are quite entitled to debate it, for better or for worse. Does not mean we are not backing the players or taking swipes at the club. Suggest you might get off your 'high horse and simply ignore the thread if you don't like It!

yukon (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 07:17
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:

It's an open forum. We are all club supporters. As PAW says, if you don't want to read about what others want to talk about, that is your prerogative. Fact is that the clubs conduct in this matter over a period of time is open to question. We are quite entitled to debate it, for better or for worse. Does not mean we are not backing the players or taking swipes at the club. Suggest you might get off your 'high horse and simply ignore the thread if you don't like It!

I'm entitled to scrutinise you and your opinion as you are the clubs conduct.

If you can;t see the benefit of the not appearing to tap up players or able to understand the literal nature of that statement then the fault is yours, not Diamond's and not the club's.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 08:22
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:

If you can;t see the benefit of the not appearing to tap up players or able to understand the literal nature of that statement then the fault is yours, not Diamond's and not the club's.

You miss my point. I was commenting upon your apparent view that people shouldn't post about 'old' topics, which is clearly nonsense. On an open forum, people can post about any matter subject to the usual caveats of legalities, decency, libel etc. Of course, on this forum, one would reasonably expect posts to be rugby related!

FWIW I am quite clear about the need for the club not to be seen to be tapping up players, if indeed that is what happened. I suspect that we agree about this and the way that the club subsequently handled the matter.

Hobb5y (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 10:41
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:

You miss my point. I was commenting upon your apparent view that people shouldn't post about 'old' topics, which is clearly nonsense. On an open forum, people can post about any matter subject to the usual caveats of legalities, decency, libel etc. Of course, on this forum, one would reasonably expect posts to be rugby related!

FWIW I am quite clear about the need for the club not to be seen to be tapping up players, if indeed that is what happened. I suspect that we agree about this and the way that the club subsequently handled the matter.

Dear Yukon, sorry if you felt this wasn't a valid topic for discussion, I thought it was relevant. No need to insult me or suggest I wanted to stir the pot. I was and am happy about the signings. I am not happy with the way the club handled the PR and struggle to see how the statement does anything but make the club look guilty, I wanted to discuss this issue on the fan forum.

yukon (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 11:06
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:

Agreed, fair one

yukon (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 11:11
Quote:
Hobb5y
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
Prop at Work
Quote:

Dear Yukon, sorry if you felt this wasn't a valid topic for discussion, I thought it was relevant. No need to insult me or suggest I wanted to stir the pot. I was and am happy about the signings. I am not happy with the way the club handled the PR and struggle to see how the statement does anything but make the club look guilty, I wanted to discuss this issue on the fan forum.

Generally, I try to let opportunities to look like pious me by.
As stated above, if you actually tread the statement, it's a smoke screen and the literal contents are almost certainly completely true.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
23 June, 2017 20:14
Yukon, if your last post hadn't been at 11:11, I would have asked you if you were just back from the pub.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
23 June, 2017 21:43
Everyone has a view, its a forum. I just feel uneasy when people starting telling others what they should / should not discuss. Just waiting now for someone to say that they'd like to recommend this forum to an a new SS fan but they just feel this place is to negative !!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Sale Sharks Poll

Who is the EP legends Openside Flanker?

See results > Submit >>