rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

The Bridge
Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
05 June, 2017 19:18
Does anyone know what is happening if anything?

Re: The Bridge
WiganSaler (IP Logged)
05 June, 2017 19:44
The series ended 3 years ago I think? (Sm100)

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

ale shark (IP Logged)
05 June, 2017 20:57
[www.portsalford.co.uk]

Last meaningful update was mid-march. Elsewhere it says completion scheduled for the end of 2017.

Personally I'd be surprised if it's operational for the end of next season.

SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
05 June, 2017 20:59
Stadium advised November when I asked last week.

ale shark (IP Logged)
05 June, 2017 21:24
2017? (Sm159)

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 08:04
Best guess would be spring 2018 at the earliest, as long as the loading during testing stage is successful

MartWhit (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 10:13
2-3 weeks apparently.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 19:12
'Stadium advised November when I asked last week' Swanny
'2-3 weeks apparently' Martwhit.
(Sm56)

thekeg (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 22:18
Quote:
emerging shark
(Sm56)

Think it's a joke about standard club timescales.....

ale shark (IP Logged)
06 June, 2017 23:55

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 08:26
The linked article now shows that the existing footpath from the foot of the new lift bridge that would have helped create a more direct walking route to the stadium from the TC is to be re-routed.
A pity given it will add another half a mile to the walking route.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 09:38
That's a shame the footpath has been rerouted.

For those interested, there is forum for construction projects which has a decent thread on the Port Salford scheme. It can be found here: [www.skyscrapercity.com]

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 10:01
Quote:
emerging shark
(Sm56)

Was it Dimes you spoke to?

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 13:26
The footpath hasn't been re-routed permanently yet! I can only find a temporary doversion application.
If those considering using it's pre-existing route make enough noise and object it might just remain as a direct route straight to the the front of the stadium. That would assist all those using it to get to the stadium or the new docks by a more direct route.
The current proposal goes against current best practice of separating pedestrians from traffic!

Printerland Annie (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 13:58
Has nobody noticed that the linked article is dated 16 March 2016?

I was going to post this days ago but I thought someone else would have spotted it.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 14:23
The construction forum linked above has regular updates on progress

ale shark (IP Logged)
12 June, 2017 10:24
Quote:
H's Dad...
The footpath hasn't been re-routed permanently yet! I can only find a temporary doversion application.
If those considering using it's pre-existing route make enough noise and object it might just remain as a direct route straight to the the front of the stadium. That would assist all those using it to get to the stadium or the new docks by a more direct route.
The current proposal goes against current best practice of separating pedestrians from traffic!

Edit - New retail site layouts can be found on here:
[dctmviewer.salford.gov.uk]

Annie - yes, I was aware of the date when I linked it, hence the smiley tears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2017 10:35 by ale shark.

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 08:54
It appears the end may be in sight, but there will be pain!

Residents have received a leaflet warning that work starts on 21st August, to realign the A57 to the new dual carriageway, for 12 weeks and expect delays.

There are 3 phases, but basically there will be a contraflow from stadium way to the airport with single lane traffic on both directions and no left turn out of stadium way.

That sort of ties in the latest completion date I read for the bridge which is November.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 22:52
Urgh. That sounds dreadful for matchday traffic.

Ricoh Arena
Mellor Shark (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 09:29
Planning our first visit by train. Any recommended watering holes, or better to stop off in Coventry or Nuneaton?

Sorry, wrong thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2017 08:30 by Mellor Shark.

14 August, 2017 10:20
Blimey - that's some diversion. You only need to get to Irlam or Eccles.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

14 August, 2017 12:30
The bridge is scheduled to be completed/operational and open on 31st October 2017. We are nearly there! (Sm101)

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 14:28
The opening date is subject to completion of the load testing. And we all know what happened the last they did that..........

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 10:43
Genuine question - have improvements been made to the section of road between the junction 10 roundabout and the roundabout which the new bridge spits you out at (the one with the BP garage by the TC bus station)? I know they were doing some work there a year or so ago.

When I lived in Manchester and approached the stadium via Trafford Park, turning at B&Q and crossing the swing bridge, that section of road down to the M60 was always in a state of gridlock, particularly on Fridays and leaving the TC on Saturdays.

Not been that way for a couple of years (Iíve always used J9 for the TC regardless of approach direction) so has peak time traffic flow been improved in this J10 area in anticipation of the additional A57 traffic and stadium flow?

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 08:45
Simple answer: No, not to any noticable effect! The aptly named roundabout is Bridgewater circle!
That section from Bridgewater Circle to Junction 10 of the M60 on the B752145 was always going to be over it's maximum capacity (in phase 1) during peak traffic times.
That congestion should improve slightly once the stadium road joins junction 10 directly (in phase 2) but Junction 10 use will be governed by intelligent traffic lights and queues are to be expected. There will be at least 3 sets of lights to and from the M60 to the south.
Walking to the TC via the new lift bridge could be quicker especially they route it sensibly via the new retail development direct to the bridge not via the long curve of the approach road.
Parking at the TC (using it via junction 9) and walking may be a viable, healthier, less frustrating, inexpensive option.

ale shark (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 10:14
Crikey, I didnít fully appreciate that the works between the new bridge and J10 werenít the final solution.

I wouldnít expect you to know the answers Hís D but do you know timescales and/or have a link to the final WGIS plans. Iíve done a couple of searches of various things but the drawings are pretty poor.

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 11:33
Quote:
ale shark
Crikey, I didnít fully appreciate that the works between the new bridge and J10 werenít the final solution.
I wouldnít expect you to know the answers Hís D but do you know timescales and/or have a link to the final WGIS plans. Iíve done a couple of searches of various things but the drawings are pretty poor.

A couple of years ago anything you searched in reference to Port Salford or A57 took you to a page showing the road lay out for phase 1 and proposed changes for phase 2. Today, it seems all of those links have been removed and it took me over 30 mins to find a working link ( and I knew what I was looking for!)

Phase 2, while planned for, has not yet received funding and was conditional on Port Salford being completed ( so it won't happen anytime soon, so we have a good few years to complain about phase 1 ( in a few months hopefully) before worrying about this madness: [ fact sheet ( note how phase 1 was due for completion in 2014!) and map]

[www.yumpu.com]

ale shark (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 11:54
Cheers Ulsterlad, yes, it does now seem to be mysteriously hard to find.

The best technical layout I could find was on page 200 of this document which relates to the development of the wasteland between B&Q and David Lloyd.

[democratic.trafford.gov.uk]

I think what we can deduce is that the area is going to be in a constant state of development for the next 10-15yrs. I hope Swanny has a succession plan in place!

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 12:12
With the road changes over the next months, has anyone seen the plans by the club for travel for this season. I'm hoping we'll be encouraging reduced car usage

16 August, 2017 12:15
Walking to the TC via the new lift bridge could be quicker especially they route it sensibly via the new retail development direct to the bridge not via the long curve of the approach road.
Any idea HsD how far that is likely to be and how long it will take to walk?.

ale shark (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 12:31
ES, follow the link on my post of 12 June and click on the "Site Masterplan" for a layout of the route from under Barton Bridge. From the northern bank of the canal at the crossing point a footpath following the road is about 700-800m, a direct footpath behind the service yard of the retail unit would be about 350-400m.

It's deceptivley far from the TC on the walking route over the bridge, well over a mile, not far off twice the current distance from the St Micheal's social club area.

It's an ideal route for a match day bus lane a shuttle bus though. (Sm159)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/08/2017 13:13 by ale shark.

Mellor Shark (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 13:21
Looking at the "Site Masterplan",the size of the car park suggests parking at the TC and walking is the only option.

iBozz (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 18:21
Quote:
ulsterlad
Phase 2, while planned for, has not yet received funding and was conditional on Port Salford being completed ...

I'm not to sure how "reassuring" that is.

If I recall correctly, and happy to be corrected, wasn't the opening of SCS conditional upon the road infrastructure being in place? To the best of my knowledge, it still isn't there!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 18:34
The simple solution would have been a high speed gondola to link the tc to the new development....

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 20:22
ES walking distance will be largely dependent on where you manage to park.
Parking at the Soccerdome/OXYGEN FREEJUMPING FITNESS CENTRE, Chill-Factore or John Lloyd would be closer than or as close as St Michaels if the current route of the footpath is retained. Currently it's route is optimal. If it's re-routed, it would also obviously depend on how much that diversion added. The TC is a kilometre long east to west so it depends which car park you choose!!
INTU TC MAP

Getting past Bridgewater Circle to use Junction 9 or 10 will atill be an issue though. As with the current situation the further you are prepared to walk the less you will suffer from post-match congestion. As now it's also sensible to hang around for 40 minutes post match for the congestion to largely clear. That or dash off just before or on the whistle and power walk to your off-site car!

iBozz, my understanding is Port Salford must be built and be close to finished, then the road infrastruture for Phase 2 ( aka FULL WGIS or Complete WGIS) will get funding and will be completed.
Only once WGIS is completed will the Port be open for business generating considerable extra container lorry movements.
The will indeed be several years of Phase 1 (Part WGIS).

16 August, 2017 21:35
23 bus from Heaton Mersey to the Tc HsD free for us oldies....

iBozz (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 08:27
Quote:
H's Dad...
iBozz, my understanding is Port Salford must be built and be close to finished, then the road infrastruture for Phase 2 ( aka FULL WGIS or Complete WGIS) will get funding and will be completed.
Only once WGIS is completed will the Port be open for business generating considerable extra container lorry movements.

My point was that the conditions on SCS opening were theoretical rather then actual - what confidence can we have in the conditions for later phases being kept?

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 18:55
Planning Conditions vapourize and become maningless once consent is given!
The stadium's consent for construction was based on Sunday afternoon RL matches ONLY!
Now the Council is understandably focussed on reducing ongoing losses.

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 22:50
Quote:
iBozz
Quote:
H's Dad...

My point was that the conditions on SCS opening were theoretical rather then actual - what confidence can we have in the conditions for later phases being kept?

It has been a few years since I looked at the planning consent, but from memory there were no conditions transport wise re the stadium. The original consent states that WGIS (phase 1, (which includes a rail link) should be completed before any warehousing is built on the canal side of the A57.

Peel applied to have that condition set aside to build a warehouse (arguing that the bridge would be completed about a month after the warehouse (April 2016) and the rail link was not a requirement of the prospective tenants. I opposed that application, but it was passed.

Subsequently another warehouse application has been passed at the Irlam end of the A57, but that is deemed outside the outline planning area for Port Salford so traffic conditions did not apply.

Conditions on warehousing etc on the canal side of the A57 state that road improvements (WGIS phase 1) must be completed .

Further plans for Port Salford include large tracts of land on the airport side of the A57 and these are dependant on WGIS (phase 2) being funded and completed.

When the New bridge is open and connected to the A57 that satisfies the conditions on the development of all the land on the canal side of the A57. (Although Peel have all ready applied for and received permission to vary the original planning permission)

As I have said earlier I think the new bridge will be a big plus for the stadium and people like me who live in Irlam. However I think it will be quite a few years before we see phase 2, if indeed ever.

18 August, 2017 08:53
slightly o/t but we travelled anti-clockwise M60 last evening (7pm) and the stretch from Sale to Barton (clockwise) was chocker. It's mainly 50 limit to both the M62 and further.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 09:13
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
slightly o/t but we travelled anti-clockwise M60 last evening (7pm) and the stretch from Sale to Barton (clockwise) was chocker. It's mainly 50 limit to both the M62 and further.

Last night's problems were due to the M6 northbound being shut while they carried out emergency works on the Thelwall Viaduct. The M56 was a car park from Dunham roundabout towards Manchester apparently

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
29 August, 2017 03:35
Quote:
M5 Shark
That's a shame the footpath has been rerouted.
For those interested, there is forum for construction projects which has a decent thread on the Port Salford scheme. It can be found here: [www.skyscrapercity.com]

Bump for this link! Pictures on there show the bridge deck ready to be put in place. Fingers crossed!

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
05 September, 2017 01:45
The new road deck was put in place a few days ago and has been lifted . (Pictures (not mine) are on the site mentioned above.

Looks good (but we have been here before so don't park your car too close) for some other options to become available soon and getting out of the stadium easier.

Eg if you are driving from Sale there are options through Trafford Park avoiding motorways. For public transport there are numerous bus services to the Trafford Centre !

*Caveat being it is a free service, which constantly runs so if you show up 15 mins before the game and it is full, you get on when it returns (and miss the kick off) or show up earlier the following week! No pre booking, no payment, no complaining!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 09:32 by ulsterlad.

05 September, 2017 11:30
You have removed the bit about the minibus shuttle in your edit.

The minibuses already exist - they are owned by the franchise and have drivers, insurance etc. and are parked at the AJB during games. All they need is sensible deployment to increase the number of bums on seats.

Million Monkeys (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 19:24
Iíve been a bit indifferent about the new Bridge but I arrived very early for the match and so thought Iíd take a wander out of the back of the ground to the canal and take a look. Slightly biased by the fact it was a nice evening but it was a pleasant walk. I reckon it was about 5 mins to the new road as close as you can currently get to the bridge. Itís obviously closer from the ground to the bridge than it is from the bridge to the TC but doesnít look like it should be more than 20 mins end to end. Iím certainly planning on giving parking at the TC and walking to the ground a go when the bridge opens.

Question from me is does anybody know if the council/stadium (or anybody else) has plans to put up any lighting and cut back the undergrowth. The actual path is in good condition but Iím not sure Iíd want to walk it in the dark as it is. Iíll still give walking a go (by leaving via stadium way and following the new road round) if not, but this would be quicker and potentially remove a little pedestrian congestion from stadium way, if it were made night friendly.

I am of course assuming that the bridge has a footpath but it looks like it does.

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 23:18
Quote:
Million Monkeys
Iíve been a bit indifferent about the new Bridge but I arrived very early for the match and so thought Iíd take a wander out of the back of the ground to the canal and take a look. Slightly biased by the fact it was a nice evening but it was a pleasant walk. I reckon it was about 5 mins to the new road as close as you can currently get to the bridge. Itís obviously closer from the ground to the bridge than it is from the bridge to the TC but doesnít look like it should be more than 20 mins end to end. Iím certainly planning on giving parking at the TC and walking to the ground a go when the bridge opens.
Question from me is does anybody know if the council/stadium (or anybody else) has plans to put up any lighting and cut back the undergrowth. The actual path is in good condition but Iím not sure Iíd want to walk it in the dark as it is. Iíll still give walking a go (by leaving via stadium way and following the new road round) if not, but this would be quicker and potentially remove a little pedestrian congestion from stadium way, if it were made night friendly.

I am of course assuming that the bridge has a footpath but it looks like it does.

The New bridge does have a pedestrian footpath, the road will have lighting but whether the "short cut" you took earlier has lighting until that plot is developed, I doubt ( it has planning permission for an IKEA type development).

Roy P (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 11:10
A torch?

16 September, 2017 11:41
The bridge is almost ready and will be a great addition to travel options. Its been a long time in construction especially with the first one collapsing. Should have an open date in the very near future.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 16:21
Be aware there are are plans to divert the current footpath to follow the new road via the access road to the proposed retail development. This will make the walk to the bridge a couple of minutes and 200 metres or so longer.

Oberon (IP Logged)
28 September, 2017 11:29
Traffic Update.

Have just driven past AJ Bell and the A57 has been diverted past the Barley Farm pub, single file both directions. The traffic lights are in operation at the junction past the pub to the stadium so it's going to be a bit of a pinch point. It would have been useful for the bridge to be in operation as it's going to be even more of a nightmare than usual.

iBozz (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 08:42
Quote:
Oberon
Traffic Update.
Have just driven past AJ Bell and the A57 has been diverted past the Barley Farm pub, single file both directions. The traffic lights are in operation at the junction past the pub to the stadium so it's going to be a bit of a pinch point. It would have been useful for the bridge to be in operation as it's going to be even more of a nightmare than usual.

I drove to MAKRO from Bramhall on Wednesday and traffic going there around the AJB/A57 was a nightmare. Whether that was the first day of the diversion around the Barley Farm I know, but workmen, traffic (mis) management teams and drivers seemed to have little clue as to where to go. Coming back towards the M60 an hour later was far easier which may have been an indicator that the diversion had settled down or maybe just Sod's Law.

I appreciate that disruption is inevitable during major road projects but one hopes that they will have the sense (sorry, what am I saying!) to plan for making the road system as clear as possible for tonight's game.

Mind you, if you think that the disruption round there is bad, you should check out the A34/MAELOR roadworks, specifically around the Stanley Green roundabout between Cheadle Hulme and Handforth. Never before in human history have so many lanes been coned off for absolutely no reason whatsoever with virtually no sign of any work being carried out on so many days - for several years now , in fact! (Sm164)

HaleShark (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 13:05
I'm with you on that one iBozz, just how long have the roadworks at Stanley Green been going on.

ooops, we've been off topic, best get back on side smiling smiley

29 September, 2017 16:25
Mind you, if you think that the disruption round there is bad, you should check out the A34/MAELOR roadworks, specifically around the Stanley Green roundabout between Cheadle Hulme and Handforth. Never before in human history have so many lanes been coned off for absolutely no reason whatsoever with virtually no sign of any work being carried out on so many days - for several years now , in fact!
me as well, use this regularly. There is no obvious reason for the 30mph between the two roundabouts going south!

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 19:27
Seriously? There can't still be cones around that roundabout. They were there when I last drove around it, that was in 2005!!!

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

iBozz (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 08:32
The A34 route is bad enough, but coming down the the road from Woodford the morning traffic is backed up well past MFC Grove P{ark and, on occasions, as far as the old MoD Pay Centre.

A fortnight ago, I took 45 minutes to drive Ĺ mile. When I got to the A34/Stanley Green roundabout, there were numerous cones and lane closures but zero workmen or signs of any actual activity.

They have equally successfully now also b*gg*e*d up the area where MAELOR crosses Styal Road near the airport - 105 minutes to drive from Styal village to Heald Green Station on Thursday evening! Again, no sign of any actual activity.

In comparison, travel to the AJB is a doddle!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net