rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Solomona case settles
delamereparkshark (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 18:18
Detailed statement posted on Tigers website.

[www.castlefordtigers.com]

Upshot is that Cas have accepted 'in excess of 200,000...' compensation and expect to recover legal costs of around 100,000. It doesn't say what the split is between Sale, Solomona and his agent, but I would imagine the bulk will fall to the club.

One less distraction to worry about.

Re: Solomona case settles
Cumbria shark (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 20:04
Sale originally offered 250k didn't they then revised this to 50k so all in all, this is probably what they budgeted for. Happy days for sale smiling smiley

saleslim (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 20:55
Quote:
Cumbria shark
Sale originally offered 250k didn't they then revised this to 50k so all in all, this is probably what they budgeted for. Happy days for sale smiling smiley

I'm not sure.
The settlement is 200k as a fee for the player. Plus covering Castleford's legal costs of 100k. Plus coving our own legal costs, which is probably about the same. Probably cost in the region of 400k.
We don't come out of it looking good either. We actually signed Solomona whilst he was still playing for Castleford. He even played games for them after signing a contract with us. We then tried to claim he was a "free agent" and had done nothing wrong.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 21:49
Quote:
saleslim
Quote:
Cumbria shark

I'm not sure.
The settlement is 200k as a fee for the player. Plus covering Castleford's legal costs of 100k. Plus coving our own legal costs, which is probably about the same. Probably cost in the region of 400k.
We don't come out of it looking good either. We actually signed Solomona whilst he was still playing for Castleford. He even played games for them after signing a contract with us. We then tried to claim he was a "free agent" and had done nothing wrong.

I agree, we haven't come out of this too well and if those figures are correct the whole saga has cost us 400K when it might have been half that if we had stuck to our original offer and not tried a fast one on Castleford. I don't know about anyone else but I'm pleased Castleford have got their money, I didn't like the maneuverings of the our club and player and have always thought it could go against us at court which it looks like it was heading that way hence the settlement now.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 08:14
It could end up nearer 500,000 once all costs are taken into consideration.

The statement on the Castleford website is clear and is probably a fairly true account of events. There is nothing on Sale's website that I can see, but no surprise there. Solomona is a great addition to Sale's team, but overall the affair doesn't leave the best taste in the mouth.

saleslim (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 10:02
Quote:
DaveAitch
The statement on the Castleford website is clear and is probably a fairly true account of events. There is nothing on Sale's website that I can see, but no surprise there. Solomona is a great addition to Sale's team, but overall the affair doesn't leave the best taste in the mouth.

I would imagine the Castleford statement has been agreed as part of the settlement, so will be a true reflection of what has happened.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 18:15
Or the settlement also includes an agreement by Sale to say nowt!

Or at least, nowt contentious. Maybe just a neutral reporting of the fact that it's been settled.

I'd be interested to know which of m'learned friends advised Sale that they were on firm ground.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 23:12
Would court settlement fees perhaps not come out of the salary cap, but agreed release fees from existing contract would? Is that a partial explanation?

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 16:26
Quote:
H's Dad...
Would court settlement fees perhaps not come out of the salary cap, but agreed release fees from existing contract would? Is that a partial explanation?

Does that matter if he was signed last year even we were well under the cap?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 16:33
I wouldn't have thought it is posssible to retrospectively put it into last year's figures, no matter how far under the cap the account was.

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 19:13
Quote:
DaveAitch
I wouldn't have thought it is posssible to retrospectively put it into last year's figures, no matter how far under the cap the account was.

It's an interesting question....are we now in 2016/17 or 17/18?

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 12:58
It's fair to say that if the compensation figure is "in excess of 200k" then it will be just over that figure, and if costs are 100k then that is 300k or thereabouts, plus Sale's own costs, which will likely be less as defendant. If the original transfer fee was 500k then that is a saving overall.

What appears to have gone wrong is the timing of matters. The obvious matter would have been a clean break - resignation before completion of a signed agreement. That may not have been possible because the player would have been left exposed and without a commitment. Therefore it strikes me as just hard bargaining.

Whether this leaves a sour taste or not is academic. This is business. The more pertinent question is whether the rugby world believes that our reputation is damaged so that we can no longer be deemed to be trustworthy, and that therefore harms us long term. That remains to be seen, but frankly the soundings that come out of the professional body give me no cause to think that Sale will be considered anything other than successful in that they landed their man. The Premiership Clubs really are self centred.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 19:02
All very well, Basil, but from what we can gander the original offer was 250,000 so it would appear not to be a saving overall.

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 19:53
I understood ( but for the life of me I can't remember where I read it) that Castleford wanted 500k, not what we offered. Therefore, while we have gone up 150k (ex costs) Castleford have come down 300k.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 19:45
Would have preferred a "no comment" to be honest

[www.bbc.com]

emerging shark (IP Logged)
20 June, 2017 21:11
What a load of rollocks....get into the real world...

20 June, 2017 21:13
Knock it off his wages.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 07:47
Quote:
BasilBullneck
I understood ( but for the life of me I can't remember where I read it) that Castleford wanted 500k, not what we offered. Therefore, while we have gone up 150k (ex costs) Castleford have come down 300k.
Basil, it does say in the BBC article (link above) that Castleford were seeking 500,000, so that figure was out there.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 15:01
Quote:
H's Dad...

As the amount was agreed between the clubs, presumably it's a transfer fee, and the Premiership regs say:-

"any transfer fees paid by a Club directly to another rugby club or to an official foreign rugby union in connection with the transfer of a Player to the firstmentioned Club shall be disregarded and shall not count as "Salary" for the purpose of the Regulations. ..."

However, it then goes on to say:-
"... any payment or arrangement of any kind other than for the direct and sole benefit of the transferring rugby club or to an official foreign rugby union and/or which benefits a Player in any way whatsoever will be deemed "Salary" and shall be counted for the purposes of the Senior Ceiling or Academy Ceiling; "

I suppose that could be interpreted as including the payment towards Cas's costs, but it's a bit of a stretch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2017 15:02 by ageinghoody.

hilly07 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 15:26
[www.salesharks.com]

Pretty emphatic statement from Sale on the case!

Monty9 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 15:41
Literally cringing at my desk reading that statement. I am not one to bash the club but that statement is completely unnecessary, actually shocked that we would take such a swipe at Castleford and gloat. The final paragraph from the Solicitors shows class and respect while still making the point, why couldn't we just say something like that.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 15:48
I really hope someone reads this and takes it down? Swanny?

stevene (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 23:37
Quote:
saleslim
Quote:
DaveAitch

I would imagine the Castleford statement has been agreed as part of the settlement, so will be a true reflection of what has happened.

Absolutely. Completely 100% accurate statement and agreed by both parties.

Ps your account was registered the day of the settlement, at a time after the settlement was public knowledge and all posts you have made so far are in relation to solomona. This is despite the fact that sale made a new marquee signing this week. We aren't the Castleford branch of the Sharks supporters club are we??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2017 23:43 by stevene.

saleslim (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 06:16
Quote:
stevene
Quote:
saleslim
Quote:
DaveAitch

Ps your account was registered the day of the settlement, at a time after the settlement was public knowledge and all posts you have made so far are in relation to solomona. This is despite the fact that sale made a new marquee signing this week. We aren't the Castleford branch of the Sharks supporters club are we??

In terms of RL, I attend some Wigan games as my company is a club sponsor. I have nothing different to say that what has already been said about signings.

stevene (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 09:37
Quote:
saleslim
Quote:
stevene
Quote:
saleslim
Quote:
DaveAitch

In terms of RL, I attend some Wigan games as my company is a club sponsor. I have nothing different to say that what has already been said about signings.

Haha didnt ask about RL. Since you volunteered that in reply it I would assume your a RL fan first and foremost then? After all we wouldn't want your statements to be biased due to a general sport/ rugby code allegiance and not to make a "statement [that is] a true reflection of events" as a consequence would we??

saleslim (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 13:16
Quote:
stevene
Quote:
saleslim
Quote:
stevene
Quote:
saleslim
Quote:
DaveAitch

Haha didnt ask about RL. Since you volunteered that in reply it I would assume your a RL fan first and foremost then? After all we wouldn't want your statements to be biased due to a general sport/ rugby code allegiance and not to make a "statement [that is] a true reflection of events" as a consequence would we??

No. You accused me of being a Castleford supporter. I was merely pointing out that in terms of RL, I attend some Wigan games. I have seen Castleford play twice, quite a few years ago.
Not that I should have to justify myself, but I'm a Sale season-ticket holder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Sale Sharks Poll

Who is the EP legends Openside Flanker?

See results > Submit >>