rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Squad Depth 2017/18
45jumper (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 09:47
After the impressive signing of JOC, I was thinking about the depth of the squad next season. We will be able to put out two very competitive teams (assuming this Grobler fella signs). These teams are what I currently believe the pecking order should be...

Haley, Solomona, Addison, James, JOC, MacGinty, De Klerk
Harrison, Webber, Aulika, Evans, Beaumont, Ross, Curry, Strauss
Subs – Jones, Flynn, John, Grobler, Ioane, Cliff, Jennings, Charnley
EQP - 15/23

McGuigan, Charnley, Leota, Jennings, Odogwu, JOC, Cliff
Flynn, Jones, John, Grobler, Ostrikov, Ioane, Curry, Pearce
Subs – Neild, Eifion, Taurus, Nott, Seymour, Dever, Edwards, Addison
EQP - 15/23

What's most impressive about this is that I've only had to re-use two players (JOC and Addison) to fill out the second squad, and the amount of quality means players like Longbottom and Langdon don't make either one!
Also impressive is the sheer amount of grunt the pack could boast. For a slugfest in the wet, we could field a pack of Eifion, Webber, Aulika, Grobler, Ostrikov, Ross, Ioane, Strauss - that would be able to go toe-to-toe with any in the league.
Another exciting thing is the versatility of the backline. JOC, Addison and James can all cover various positions which means the backline's variations are massive, they could all pop up anywhere thumbs down
Lots of reasons to be excited about next season, already can't wait grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2017 09:50 by 45jumper.

Re: Squad Depth 2017/18
NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 09:56
Nice work 45, I hope Dever gets some good game time this season to see if he can develop and stake a claim to at least be the backup 9. I still think we could do with another 10, not necessarily a starter but a solid backup who will kick goals and keep the team ticking over when required, much in the way Nils Mordt used to do for Sarries when they were the 6th SA franchise for a time.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 11:21
How sure are you we are in for Gerbrandt Grobler?? Would be a good addition, a cynical South African lock who can dish it out a bit. Bit worried about the association of a drugs ban, what with O'Connor we'll be getting a reputation of rescuing careers of those types of players.

Good post 45Jumper, we appear to have a stronger squad than last year but I always temper my enthusiasm down these days because invariably we always look good 'on paper' but it seldom transpires into reality. Other teams will have recruited well also so it's always hard to gauge how much better we will be than the opposition at this point of the close-season.

The positives are I agree we have better depth which has be so evidently lacking in previous seasons. Dimes has worked wonders in the main with such a restrictive budget that he must feel a sense of relief that he's managed to recruit some really good players.

I'm not sure we can break into the top six, but I'd like to think we're good for finishing 7th or 8th in the Premiership.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 11:23
I guess "no news" (that I can find) with respect to Eifion and his knee injury is "good news" although at 36 and a half he must be seriously considering hanging up his boots

thekeg (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 11:32
Quote:
MikeGC
I guess "no news" (that I can find) with respect to Eifion and his knee injury is "good news" although at 36 and a half he must be seriously considering hanging up his boots

He's listed on the squad page of offie

Osshark (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 11:53
A month or two back Charnley put a picture on instagram of him and Eifion with the caption going to miss training with the big fella, or something along those lines. I took that as ELR has called time.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 12:07
Eifion called time before he got injured, I'm sure we have heard semi officially that he changed his mind because of the injury, can't remember exactly where. His inclusion on the offy when those confirmed as leaving have been removed would seem to suggest he is giving it another season.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Tigger (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 15:55
Have heard Gerbrant Grobler to Glaws......need to do some reworking 45jumper...winking smiley

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2017 15:56 by Tigger.

45jumper (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 16:08
That would be a shame if he went there - but they'll have plenty of cash now Fearns has done a U-turn. I suppose it would only result in more opportunities for Nott which is no bad thing. Leaves us a little light on sheer grunt though.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 16:21
Saw him coming out of Carrington last week, so I don't think that he's packed it it just yet....

HaleShark (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 19:11
I didn't know Carl Fearns has turned down Gloucester, is he staying at Lyon?

21 June, 2017 19:15
yes - turned down Glaws.

Quote:
It's not all about the money

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

21 June, 2017 19:25
latest ins and outs:-

SALE SHARKS

In: Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors), Will Cliff (Bristol), Marc Jones (Bristol), Alexandru Tarus (Beziers), Jono Ross (Stade Français), WillGriff John (Doncaster Knights), Faf de Klerk (Lions), James O’Connor (Toulon)

Out: Mike Phillips (retired), Sam Tuitupou (Coventry), Sam Bedlow (Bristol Rugby), Matt Rogerson (Jersey Reds), Brian Mujati (Ospreys), Neil Briggs (retired), James Mitchell (Connacht), Andrew Hughes (released), Charlie Ingall (released), Tim Jeffers (released), Magnus Lund (released), Jonathan Mills (released), Tom Morton (released), Dan Mugford (released), Peter Stringer (released)

Dis mus be da place

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 00:13
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
latest ins and outs:-
SALE SHARKS

In: Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors), Will Cliff (Bristol), Marc Jones (Bristol), Alexandru Tarus (Beziers), Jono Ross (Stade Français), WillGriff John (Doncaster Knights), Faf de Klerk (Lions), James O’Connor (Toulon)

Out: Mike Phillips (retired), Sam Tuitupou (Coventry), Sam Bedlow (Bristol Rugby), Matt Rogerson (Jersey Reds), Brian Mujati (Ospreys), Neil Briggs (retired), James Mitchell (Connacht), Andrew Hughes (released), Charlie Ingall (released), Tim Jeffers (released), Magnus Lund (released), Jonathan Mills (released), Tom Morton (released), Dan Mugford (released), Peter Stringer (released)

When you look at the list of it's and outs, I am happy that we are clearly in a net 'win' position. Of those leaving, some have been excellent servants over a few or many years but are at the end of their careers. Others have been released as they haven't made the grade at the club. Whatever their individual circumstances, I am sure that we wish them all well for the future and thank them sincerely for their past contributions. Sam, Maggie and Briggsy in particular will be fondly remembered for years to come. Given the ins and outs however, and the exciting crop of youngsters we now have coming through, the only one that I wish could have stayed for another season is Mills. I think he still has something to offer .

thekeg (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 06:51
Does anyone have any insight into which youngsters might emerge this year? Dever is the obvious one as he seems to now be third choice scrum half, but are there any others?

22 June, 2017 09:24
imho we are short at lock (x2 at least) . We need a ball carrier/enforcer type and a good mauler.

Dis mus be da place

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 11:14
I agree we need another lock, although I'm sure Nott wouldn't agree! A couple of comments about your teams - Dimes was very clear in his interview that he sees O'Connor as a 10, and I can't see Cam being too happy at only being on the 2nd team bench!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 11:39
it is essential that our maul defence improves vastly next year. We were inviting teams over our tryline for much of the 2nd half of last season. Between that and having little apparent scramble technique, we were far too easy to score against.

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
23 June, 2017 20:07
In his interview today Dimes says he's still aiming to recruit a Lock and a Loose Head Prop. I can understand the Lock, but we've got 3 tight head props (Aulika, John & Tarus), at Loose Head we've got Harrison Flynn and Eifion (we think), plus there's Longbottom, who I believe can play either side. That's not to mention Parker & Pope, who will presumably go on loan this season. I can't see that there's much room in the squad for another loose head, and if we do recruit one then there's a risk of Flynn moving on.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
23 June, 2017 20:12
Good thread starter, 45.

It's getting close to Eddie Jones's "three players contesting for every position".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net