rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Tom Curry tipped as Lions Openside for 2021
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 13:16
Article in the Telegraph online. Idle speculation I know, but the lad has clearly been noticed.

[digitaledition.telegraph.co.uk]

What puzzles me though is how pundits manage to put him ahead of his brother at this stage. It can only be on the basis of one very good performance in Argentina. Prior to that, they were both equally impressive and had it not been for Ben's injury, I am sure he would have earned similar plaudits in Argentina. Besides, can anyone be sure even now which one is actually on the pitch!!

Also, only one Welsh player in the team so presumably Garland is not tipped as coach for a third tour!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 13:21 by Chris1850.

Re: Tom Curry tipped as Lions Openside for 2021
RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 17:16
I was planning on writing one of those articles, but quickly realised how pointless it is... All good fun though and I may try again...

For me, Steffan Evans won't be near the side and I cannot see Ford as FH.

Mercer and T.Curry in the back row? Can't see it. Underhill will have something to say about that.

James Ryan, if he has an Itoje like trajectory yes, but again he will need some seriously big performances.

Genge might make the tour but more of a sub option. Mako/McGrath/Marler all still with years left on the clock

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 17:22
Yes, I saw that. It's the sort of thing that should be made note of to see how it compares with the actual team four years on. The problem is that however good anyone is, there is always another bright young thing waiting to be discovered. Would Itoje have been in anyone's selection four years ago I wonder.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 17:33
On the (?) same page there was also an article saying that England players may not be released for future tours unless the structure of tours is sorted out.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
09 July, 2017 17:34
Quote:
RugbyMarvel
James Ryan, if he has an Itoje like trajectory yes, but again he will need some seriously big performances.

From what I've seen he's pretty decent, led the irish squad at the u20s last year in manchester to 2nd place whilst beating baby blacks. Made strong debut against USA eagles a month ago and off bench vs Japan and hasn't actually played for Leinster yet. I'd expect him to play a lot for them though with Hayden Triggs leaving and he'll team up with Devin toner. He's a big lump at 108kg and 6'8 too.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 08:56
I've written up some thoughts on 5 potential bolters for the 2021 tour to SA.

‪[rugbymarvel.wordpress.com];

Hope you enjoy. Who would your 5 be?

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 10:26

clutch (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 12:32
No mention of Denny.

Still think Ben is the slightly better Curry at this sage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net