rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Dan Mugford - Rugby Paper
RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 09:08
There was an article in this Sunday's Rugby Paper, where Dan talks about how during his stint with Sale and since his release, he has been severely depressed and has attempted suicide.

It's a great shame that Dan is suffering from depression but luckily he is receiving support from the RPA.

I couldn't find anything on this message board or any other social media re Dan, but I was aware his Dad did previously read this board.

If you don't have the rugby paper, I'll try and get some snippets at some point.

I just want to say that personally I hope he makes a full recovery, and manages to find a side so he can continue to play rugby and enjoy doing so. It's a brave thing to publically talk about mental health issues, and it's admirable as him talking about it means others follow.

If Dan or his Dad are reading this, get well soon mate!

Re: Dan Mugford - Rugby Paper
HaleShark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 09:41
Yes, I saw the article too. Unfortunately an all too common occurrence with rugby players, especially those who get cast aside from a club. There's no sentiment in sport and it can be brutal at times.

I recall Dan's dad coming on this site and passionately defending his son over criticism leveled at his playing ability. I would imaging a lot of players do look at this site regularly.

I hope Dan can fight depression and go on and play rugby at whatever level he can and make a
success of his post-playing career too.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 09:50
I believe he has signed for Plymouth whom he played for before Nottingham?

A real shame to hear but as he is been open about it and if he is receiving the support he needs then hopefully the future will be a little brighter for him.

Something to bear in mind when publicly critising players, or anyone in general.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 10:29

madders (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 10:54
What this also shows is Diamond's limited ability to motivate or mentor players. Dan puts across in the article - in a very fair way - his view that Diamond wasn't communicating to him why been dropped / wasn't being picked / how to move forward. To me, Diamond seems to be a gruff stick-type approach to management - whereas someone like Mallinder or Baxter would also know how to put an arm round the shoulder..

madders (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 11:00
Copy of article

[mobile.twitter.com]

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 12:41
deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 13:42 by MartWhit.

clutch (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 12:49
I'm sure it is not your intention but you need to be careful at questioning Diamond based on this example. I'm sure plenty of people would say the opposite about Diamond. What has happened to Mugford is horrible, but by the sounds of it, it could have just as likely happened at any Prem club. Let's wish him the best. It isn't inconceivable that he could play well for Plymouth and get another crack in the Prem. Let's hope so.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 12:50
New low even by your low standards MW. Using a players attempted suicide to have a dig at the Club. Very very poor to use news like this to run your constant agenda. Says more about you than the club in my opinion.

I know of many examples across all sports. I know of many positives examples of Sales culture.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 12:59
deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 13:42 by MartWhit.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 13:03
Not even going to enter into a debate with you about this on a thread like this as I have more decency and no agenda. I will repeat what I said earlier, Glad Dan is receiving the help he needs and wish him all the best.

If you had decency or respect you would delete your opportunistic and disrespectful posts.

stevene (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 13:05
Quote:
Deleted

compelling evidence???? really?? I suggest you look up a definition of that before claiming 'compelling evidence'.

I also hope you are never on a jury if I ever have the misfortune to be charged with a crime and prosecuted.

Yes Sale should investigate this to ensure they have provided a duty of care to their employee. That should happen as a matter of course.

Trying to link this to the suicides of Selorm and Tait and the individual circumstances that surrounded them is pathetic. You really do need to get a grip.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 14:00 by Tigger.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 13:09
Quote:
Monty9
Not even going to enter into a debate with you about this on a thread like this as I have more decency and no agenda. I will repeat what I said earlier, Glad Dan is receiving the help he needs and wish him all the best.
If you had decency or respect you would delete your opportunistic and disrespectful posts.

Couldn't agree more - prob time to close this thread before Dimes is blamed for Brexit, ISIS and even worse - the weather.

Big shame about Dan, he came across very well and although I wasn't clear what he did "wrong" to get a limited number of appearances however I'm sure those in charge knew what they were doing. I hope he goes really well at his new club.

Tigger (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 13:38
Quote:
MartWhit
Deleted

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 14:15 by Tigger.

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 13:44
Quote:
Monty9

I entirely agree. Unfortunately the internet is full of people who are only too willing to draw ludicrous conclusions based on zero evidence in order to suit their own agendas not caring who they use to do it.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 13:46
Deleted as requested tigger.

I did say it was controversial. Apologies for the offence caused.

I just believe passionately in mental health and companies (all companies) doing everything in their gift to minimise its incidence and impact, regardless of cause or fault.

Tigger (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 13:56
Quote:
MartWhit
Deleted as requested tigger.
I did say it was controversial. Apologies for the offence caused.

I just believe passionately in mental health and companies (all companies) doing everything in their gift to minimise its incidence and impact, regardless of cause or fault.

Thank you martwhit...I also believe passionately in the fact that companies have to minimise the incidence and impact of mental health problems...I have lived with someone for the past 20 years who suffers from depression. I also have a close family member who suffers from 'mental health problems' (and I put that in quotation rather than going into details).

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 14:08
I think this thread is risking losing its point. Rather than questioning whether the club or Diamond are good in terms of supporting the mental wellbeing or club members (players, coaches, admin, etc) the point of the article, as stated by Mugford himself, was to help remove the stigma that mental health issues carry in society, in sport and amongst the male population.

Hopefully, the article was a wake up call for all clubs, leagues and sports organisations, professional and amateur, to help provide support to members. Obviously this will vary dependent on budgetary constraints but simply being able to point an individual in the right direction is better than sweeping an issue under the carpet which unfortunately often happens.

As mentioned by other posters on this forum, good luck to Dan and hopefully he gets all the help he requires and can get himself to a stronger place mentally and continue to have successful rugby and post-rugby careers. I also hope he can use his experience to help support others who may be going through similar things.

Stay strong and it is best if we all keep this in mind, myself included, when we criticise player or coaching performances and not make issues personal and out of perspective.

safc_shark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 14:34
Come to this late, and as I said to Dan on twitter the words of the article and subsequent twitter post are truly inspirational. It's awful that things got so dark for him and impressive that he has been able to be so open about it. I hope it helps others talk about their own issues and continues to raise the profile and importance of mental health.

I am sure we all wish Dan the best for the future whatever that might be

jaytom (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 14:59
Late as well, but have to agree. I've had several friends who've had mental health issues and I think it's far more commonplace than people think sometimes. Glad Dan is looking like coming through this and using such a dark time in his life as a platform for doing something positive.

On a side note, have to say I always thought he had potential at 10 and kinda wished he'd had a few more chances.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 17:12
Good post NorthernMaori.
Particularly the last paragraph.
Was it Dan who did that one handed pick-up at pace in the corner to score a try?
Fabulous skill. A lasting memory I cherish.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 17:15
Good to see those messages removed.

Keeping it on the rugby side - it was interesting to observe that both our fly-halves (AJ/Dan) both independently said in interviews or whilst on the radio that when they had the ball in hand that others around them should all know what they are doing but that wasn't how Sale operated at the start of the season - I don't know if this was down to a combo of brand new fly-halves replacing Cips who quite often played headsup rugby that others reacted to but it's certainly came as a surprise to both AJ/Dan

AJ seems quite a "character" and more assertive than Dan so perhaps he could cope the best with that system until they got used to playing together plus we had a lot of different centre combo's for the first half of the season.

WIZARDofOZ (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 20:14
Didn't see the MW post. Sounds like a shocker. Don't know diamond but seems to have recruited well and signed all the youngsters on long term deals. Lets show our support.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 20:30
I hope things go well for Dan at Plymouth - he's got the ability to play at a higher level but it's a start to getting back up there. Was it Quins at home where he slotted 5/5 to get us the win? That's proof that he can be a game-winner in the top flight.

Much credit to the RPA who made a lot of noise about mental health in the second half of the season I think it was. They are obviously there to support Dan and others like him. Credit also to Dan for going public - it's a brave step given the stigma around mental health issues, a stigma that seems to double if you're a professional sports player. It sounds like his (ex?) partner Alice has been a rock for him, whether that is now as friend or back as his partner. The most shocking part of the article was the idea that he tried to commit suicide twice less than a fortnight ago, which shows how tortuous the road back from the brink can be.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 21:39
Exactly what Pappje said. Dan has been extremely brave in this. Dropping from Prem to N1 he probably felt like he failed at his lifelong dream, but his life is just beginning as we never know what was meant for us. It's no ones fault when someone feels like this but we can all make it better by showing support. Don't trust a smile or confidence, know a person before you critise or judge.

RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 22:53
I would like to reiterate that this post is aimed at bringing to attention Dans issues to Sale fans and to further highlight the growing issue in rugby.

Please, in this one debate can we not point the blame at individuals as such a serious thing as the attempted taking of a life is involved and we shouldn't be pointing the finger but just be recognising he strength of Dan to speak up!

Olyy (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 18:35
Very sad news,
Glad to hear that Dan has taken steps to work through this and must commend his bravery in coming forward and speaking about it publicly, all too often mental health issues are kept hidden in the dark.
Will definitely be keeping an eye on his career going forwards, never quite hit his stride here for one reason or another (though did show glimpses in the time he got), but he was very highly rated at Nottingham.

17 July, 2017 12:02
Fwiw I think Dimes never forgave him for the early errors when we lost winnable games eg v budgies

Decent player arguably not Prem material.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

iBozz (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 12:18
For those who have been touched by depression, either indirectly or directly (my credentials are two hospitalisations) then may I recommend to you an Australian initiative which is slowly gaining momentum through the world?

Both links,although related, are worth following:

Dancing with The Black Dog

It's OK to say you are not OK

Even if you have never encountered depression then I believe that you should be aware of it. Who knows, one day you may be able to help someone before their illness develops too far.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

recycledyorkie2 (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 13:13
Thanks iBozz.I will read with interest.

My major anxiety problems have started after retirement age and when I should be having fun. Its a very difficult challenge but communicating with others is essential in the battle. The swings between feeling on top of the world and every little thing being an issue can happen within a few minutes. There will be a lot of sufferers on this board who haven't stuck their head above the parapet. Its not something to be ashamed of - its an illness - and it can make you (and me) physically ill as well.

iBozz (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 16:06
I have the Black Dog car stickers and the lapel badges. Over time, people will start to recognise them and, hopefully, use the listening ear they offer.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 16:23
I would hope that he has read John Kirwans book 'All Blacks don't Cry' now that really does put rugby in perspective. Best of luck to Dan and I for one will be following his fortunes.
And also had a chat with our own Duncan Bell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/07/2017 08:39 by emerging shark.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Sale Sharks Poll

Who is the EP legends Openside Flanker?

See results > Submit >>