rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Academy Players In The Premiership
james46 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 11:02
[alexshawsports.wordpress.com]

I saw this elsewhere in Sarries site.

Sale come out very well.

Re: Academy Players In The Premiership
Crutch (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 12:02
Interesting article. I agree it's going to be a fine balancing act with the new owners bringing in bigger names whilst not wanting to hinder the development of our talented youngsters.

The stats for Saracens would also seem to validate their view on how they spend within the salary cap, although of course the squad is massive.

Also good to see that I wasn't completely wrong with regards to Exeter who have a reputation for having achieved their success through internal development, whereas clearly there's been significant outlay in recruitment over the last number of years.

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 12:34
I understand that Saracens have developed very close ties and links with some of the top London schools including Harrow, from where they were able to recruit Itoje and Vunipola (albeit after the latter's time with Wasps as a result of Wasps connection with Mako). This involves not only the provision of training facilities but also a crossover of teachers being involved in training and taking those ideas back to the school. They are therefore tapping into the local talent not just through the local clubs but through schools imbued with a rugby bias.

I wonder whether Sale have forged direct links with the private schools within the NorthWest - there must be some fantastic talent in the likes of MGS, Arnold, Rossall and the like.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 12:34
very interesting piece of research.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 13:41
I think you will find that Sale have Basil. Arnold are no longer a force but throw in the likes of St Ambrose, Kirkham, Sedburgh and Stockport then yes, lots of talent coming through. SS have actually quite a lot of schools to look at.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 13:44
Sedburgh is in Cumbria so Falcons territory no?

Still lots of great Schools that SS have very strong links with.

Monty9 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 13:47
Lymm HS and Sandbach Boys seem to have the most making it from Academy to 1st XV at SS

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 16:16
A pity you're not that effusive praising the club for this achievement wrt the academy Martwhit. I think it might help re-balance some poster's perceptions of you.
It is a remarkable achievement for a smaller club.
smileys with beer

emerging shark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 18:06
Monty whilst Sedburgh is in falcons territory there are quite a few boys who originate from this area go there. I believe Redpath's son is there and Dean Schofield's stepson is on his way there.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 19:04
Good article and really shows the club in a positive light. To be be one of the fore-runners in developing academy players is a credit to the club especially as we're such a smaller club in comparison to Leicester, Sarries etc.

Quote:
H's Dad...
A pity you're not that effusive praising the club for this achievement wrt the academy Martwhit. I think it might help re-balance some poster's perceptions of you.
It is a remarkable achievement for a smaller club.
smileys with beer

I couldn't agree more, you are one of the chief snipers at the club MartWhit. Shame you couldn't muster more of a comment other than 'very interesting piece of research' Sadly, if it was an article bemoaning Sale's lack of academy player development you'd have probably written a couple of paragraphs.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 19:19
This is starting to smell like cyber bullying - leave him alone

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 20:16
Bleddy hell, chaps, all he said was "very intersting piece of research". What is there to complain of in that? Is everyone expected to say that everything Sale is the greatest thing since sliced bread in every post?

And what a bacKhanded compliment from you, H's D, "It is a remarkable achievement for a smaller club."

ale shark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 20:44
I'm not a spelling @#$%& but please, it's Sedbergh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 20:45 by ale shark.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 20:48
Charlie Pozniak has just finished at MGS I think and was in the U18 side defeated by Quins in the final at that age group.

Excellent stats for the club and what's even better is that we can hopefully hold on to the graduates for much longer than might previously have been the case.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 08:33
Nield is also ex MGS is he not?

MGS has an excellent rugby focus nowadays, an its best talent doesnt neccessarily fall straight to football or cricket as previously. I expect they'll continue to contribute going forward.

derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
16 July, 2017 21:55
Sarries fan in peace - I think the Saracens links with Harrow etc work the other way round; players with high potential are identified and then, where it makes sense, introduced to the elite schools

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net