rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Sale academy....five players sign five year contracts...
Tigger (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 19:41
Sam Moore, Matt Sturgess, Luke James, Arron Reed and Nic Dolly have all signed five-year deals at the Sharks, as Steve Diamond looks to produce the next generation of rugby players to follow in the footsteps of the Curry brothers, who toured with England this summer.

[www.salesharks.com]

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Re: Sale academy....five players sign five year contracts...
thekeg (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 19:56
Dolly looks like a sizeable unit already!

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 21:56
Yep, great news! Simon Orange putting his money where his mouth is (again!).

MartWhit (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 21:59
super news. look forward to see how they get on with full time rugby. Looks like none of them are unfamiliar with the gym already

HaleShark (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 08:00
Positive news and another great example of how our club continue to churn out players. Interesting to read the Acadamey manager reports they are some of the best young players ever to have come through the system. Maybe we shouldn't be too surprised if we see these guys getting a 1st team run-out soon. If I recall I think Dimes wanted the club to have 75% of the 1st team as home-grown players so we're certainly moving in that direction.

clutch (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 08:22
That is perfectly achievable as well, and we are on the right track. I'm more than happy to watch mid table rugby, if the team is full of home grown talent. It makes being a supporter that much more enjoyable. Obviously I'm hoping for more than mid table, and why not!

26 July, 2017 08:35
Moore, Dolly , & Reed are in the England U18 squad. Moore was captain in their 6N.

[www.englandrugby.com]

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

MartWhit (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 08:38
what position do we think James will settle into?

clutch (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 09:00
He's a 6 isn't he?

MartWhit (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 09:02
reportedly also plays centre

iBozz (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 09:14
Quote:
HaleShark
If I recall I think Dimes wanted the club to have 75% of the 1st team as home-grown players so we're certainly moving in that direction.

Big Jim always wanted 100% homegrown talent, although he never specified a timescale within which that might be achieved. I'm pretty sure that he and Dimes would have discussed their views on the target numbers and timescales many times.

75% is a good start!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

james46 (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 11:12
5 years is a big commitmnent, I guess there will be a 2 / 3 year break clause in there for the club.

26 July, 2017 11:47
They're all in the Singha 7's squad

thekeg (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 11:58
Quote:
clutch
He's a 6 isn't he?

Think he was a flanker but now converting (converted?) to centre

clutch (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 12:32
75% is enough. Home grown talent surrounded by top quality imports in specific areas.

We could have a James * 2 combo at centre then.

halfback09 (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 23:57
75% is very very high. If I read right saracens have the highest number of home grown players and they're at 42%

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/07/2017 00:01 by halfback09.

iBozz (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 08:42
Quote:
halfback09
75% is very very high. If I read right saracens have the highest number of home grown players and they're at 42%

If correct then that's the current position and there is nothing set in stone that says that homegrown talent alone cannot sustain a Club. Dimes aims for 75%, I'd like to see 100% but neither or both may be achievable, it all depends upon the talent coming through at any time.

There is nothing wrong with having an ambition and that ambition should not be coloured by what Sarries or anyone else are doing.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

27 July, 2017 09:18
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFuno6MXsAATT46.jpg

jaytom (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 09:53
Great news! I think we've ended up being a 'feeder' club for far too long and it's great that Orange is now taking positive steps to end that trend.

StaffordShark (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 10:35
I suppose the real question is if it comes down to it, which would Dimes and the board rather achieve, 75% of the first team squad from the North West or consistent levels of success?

What would we rather have as fans, local homegrown talent making up the majority of the squad but consistently finishing mid table or a greater level of success with more imports?

clutch (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 12:06
For a start 100% isn't realistic. Personally, as long as the core team is homegrown I'm no bothered about percentages. I'm happy enough at the moment, and our 1st choice 22 would consist of Haley, James, Addison, Curry, Curry, Beaumont, Harrison, Jones and Cliff I think.

Now we have a pleasing quota of homegrown, for the fans to get behind success is the key. Personally, increasing to 50% plus will be beneficial, but if that wasn't the case I'd still be happy.

Looking back to the PP winning squad we had Sanderson, Jones, Schofield, Titterell, Hanley, Cueto, Hodgson

Championship we had Lund, Schofield, Jones, Titterell, Wiggy, Hodgson, Cueto.

So, clearly a core group of home grown players is essential and we have already surpassed Mallinder and PSA's team. I may have missed the odd player. Also goes to show that although PSA did a good job, the core of Mallinder's home grown players were still key. Makes it more baffling that PSA has absolutely no interest in home grown players.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 12:50
The biggest gain from having a high proportion of local lads is its sustainability. It demonstrates a pathway for other young men to follow, its cost effective and there's inherently a higher likelihood of those local boys wanting to play for Sale for a full career than someone who is from somewhere else.

PSA created a great team, with a mix of both, but when push came to shove, the loyalty of the cream of the imported players was very shortlived.

For what its worth, for me success is not a prerequisite. You simply have a bond that comes from being from the area and having allied to the team from a young age. I enjoyed the gallant gambolling losses at Heywood road every bit as much as the championship winning season.

The current on field action at the club is overwhelmingly positive. The senior squad is now deeper and full of guys with a humble, hard working approach to the game. I really take to guys like Cam Nield and Will Addison, and am really looking forward to seeing Jono Ross & Willgriff in action. The pace of academy graduates looks to be speeding up, which is also great.

I sincerely hope we can match those values and standards off the field this year (I have to admit, many of those perceived failings shook my faith last season). If we do, I may have to consider becoming a beacon of positivity, even if we remain in the lower half of the table. Early days yet, but stranger things have happened.

Now, where did I put those tablets. They were good man.

alas (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 14:08
Quote:
james46
5 years is a big commitmnent, I guess there will be a 2 / 3 year break clause in there for the club.

If there's a break clause just for the club the players need a better agent.

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 14:27
Quote:
alas
Quote:
james46

If there's a break clause just for the club the players need a better agent.
I suspect the players aren't in that strong a bargaining position.

thekeg (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 14:34
If the player's career takes off and they are playing for England in 3 years time then it would be pretty shortsighted of any club to try and keep the player on an outdated contract just to save money. They player will become very disenfranchised and just move on as soon as they can.

I timagine the security aspect of a long term contract when you haven't even played first team rugby would outweigh the issue of overachieving and ending up underpaid . It also shows the club has confidence in you to make it into the first team, surely better than the previous single year system

MartWhit (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 14:42
The longer contracts clearly foster a more nurturing environment and allow both sides opportunity to grow, develop and experiment with clarity & security.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
27 July, 2017 15:51
what is that photo you have put up Mrs T? Who are these 7 lads?

27 July, 2017 16:57
It's the lastest junior Academy players to sign five year deals.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
28 July, 2017 09:42
Thanks Mrs. T.

Didn't really think it looked like the same guys at first from the other photo, plus it was announced we had signed 5, there's 7 in your pic. Who are the other 2 - have we signed them up too?

http://www.salesharks.com/images/news/SeniorAcademyLadswithBT_rdax_899x506_80.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net