rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Second row
Hulkhogan (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 04:41
I thought we got rid of mills so Beaumont moved up now we seem to be chasing any second row available,strange

Re: Second row
thekeg (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 07:33
Quote:
Hulkhogan
I thought we got rid of mills so Beaumont moved up now we seem to be chasing any second row available,strange

I'd say we were a second row light last year, so even if Beaumont moves up we are still only where we were last year

MartWhit (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 08:46
I think Bryn & Josh are our most likely starting locks this year.

But I see no harm in adding someone of quality and physical strength like Slater. He'd be a great guy to have around, providing genuine competition and leadership. He'd almost be like a younger, more athletic Mills.

Lets face it, We've been incredibly fortunate that Evans has been as durable as he's been, and so both Josh and Nott will be able to give him the occasional break, with Ostrikov & Slater, if he comes, adding power on the other side.

The only downside is that it would limit Nott's starts in the near term. However, hopefully that can be turned to a benefit as he enjoys a more managed development curve and maybe even gets the odd game at blindside.

MikeGC (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 15:00
I'd prefer JB to stay at 8, where he is above average rather than be an average donkey row

MartWhit (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 15:14
I dont think we know whether he'd be an good, great or average 2nd row yet. He;s simply not played enough there to know. Sage folk like Eddie Jones clearly think he has something to offer there.

Last season he also wasnt exactly above average at 8 much of the time.

Lastly, if he stays at 8, who of Beaumont, Strauss, Ross, Curry, Curry or Ioane doesnt play or even make the matchday squad. Thats some good talent there simply twiddling its thumbs.

If Beaumont is core to what we do for both lineout & carrying, it comes to a choice between:
Beaumont/Ostrikov at 4, or
Beaumont/Strauss at 8
its simply a choice of Strauss vs Ostrikov? who would you rather have on the pitch?
Thats a genuine question by the way.

thekeg (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 18:07
With the current squad I think it definitely makes sense for him to be used primarily as a second row. Whether that's the best move for him on a personal level seems more up for discussion

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net