rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

JB Interview with Simon Orange
Headington Shark (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 08:28
[twitter.com]

Few key points mostly from memory (feel free to correct):

If the business fails, Simon (& Ged?) take it on from CorpAcq.

Steve was spending 4 mil before (on the squad).

Club was losing around 2 mil.

Now spending over 50% more on the squad.

Still loss making, but could be profitable now, but for the increase in spend. (Possible profitability due to extra 2 or so mil from TV).

Friday home game's during winter for the corporates. Sat / Sun in the better weather for the fans.

Steve Diamond and Mark Cueto also owners as long are targets are hit.

Only 2-3 new players next year for sake of squad stability. Rely on core of players.

EDIT: Also remember Simon saying the squad will remain a relatively small squad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2017 11:52 by Headington Shark.

Re: JB Interview with Simon Orange
MartWhit (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 08:42
a 6mill squad budget.

I have to feel that definition covers a broad spectrum of playing activity, that includes additional investment in facilities, academy and coaching.

I simply dont believe our small 1st XV squad, minus significant international names, is costing in that vicinity.

10 August, 2017 10:48
I noticed Frank is now "commercial director". Is Swanny still a director?

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

clutch (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 11:16
I'll look forward to listening. Tends to be a Sale focus on the podcasts, so generally worth a listen.

Must have cost a fair bit to keep the youngsters here, and stop Wasps et al poaching them. Even so, it seems a bit much. Depends what we mean by 'before'.

Don't get the Friday night thing. I'm quite happy with the mix, but for me it is @rse about face. As a fan of daylight, we should play sat in the winter, and when it is warmer and lighter, play Friday nights. The corporates won't care either way. I suppose it depends on what fans want. More likely to booze in the sunlight I guess, so more like 'fans who like to get tanked' as opposed to those who's sole interest is the quality of the product on show.

Anyhow, it is all looking good. Like the idea of Cueto and Diamond having a financial incentive for us making money. Let's hope it happens. We can't rely on TV money increases, as any increase in that will drive wages up surely.

10 August, 2017 11:50
Re spending more on contracts and young guys - it sounded like academy guys are offered an ultimatum of if you want a contract then you're going to sign up for a long time. Performance/targets obviously affecting earnings too.

All about not wasting resources on people who'll leave when they're Prem standard.

Rhetoric on this and the 2-3 signings for next year seem to match with what Dimes was saying about getting 75%(?) of the squad from the academy.

hilly07 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 12:54
Quote:
clutch
The corporates won't care either way.

Corporates turn up after work on a Friday - they don't turn up on a Saturday (football etc taking attention off a passive audience). The club take a massive hit on games on a Saturday - some big teams will still draw a crowd though.

thekeg (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 13:35
Interesting interview, seems to me that the line on us making money has softened slightly and he is now very much involved on an emotional level, pulling it out of the holding company if we aren't achieving targets and taking it in his own name. He certainly sounds very keen and I think the next few years at least will be very enjoyable as we develop this squad, mainly from within

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 17:57
I heard from someone in May that it was very much a personal venture rather than a corporate one, so that would tally. Maybe it was easier to raise the finance via a corporate entity than personally?

On the playing times, that seems at odds with what was originally suggested, which was IIRC that it would be Friday night generally but weekends during the depths of winter. Maybe the plans have changed.

10 August, 2017 20:44
As I said, I might have misreported. Just wrote down some bits after listening to the pod in car to work. Would be good if someone else could verify / add.

23Shark (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 22:07
Off the top of my head Frank owns 5% and Dimes owns either 20 or 25%

NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 07:47
Having listened to the interview the implication for match times seems to be that as Saturday matches effectively lose the Club money due to rival sports and clubs, until the average attendance at those Saturday games is consistently high then some matches will continue to be played on Friday nights to capture the corporate money which the Club heavily relies upon at the moment.

Lets hope attendances do pick up with the new signings and re-signings the squad is steadily improving!

Personally I think Sunday afternoon games would be ideal and the Club could then have coaches going from local clubs where there are hundreds of passionate rugby fans already in attendance. Also this eliminates clashes with local senior rugby; peak shopping time for non-attendees; and clashes with kick off times for other sports and clubs throughout the region.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2017 07:48 by NorthernMaori.

ale shark (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 08:34
Saturdays averaged 2,000 more last season. How are Saturday crowds supposed to grow if they're now not playing on Saturdays? Bonkers.

WillC (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 09:29
Quote:
ale shark
Saturdays averaged 2,000 more last season. How are Saturday crowds supposed to grow if they're now not playing on Saturdays? Bonkers.

Yes but they specifically chose matches and weekends which would attract higher crowds so its not really a fair comparison.

ale shark (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 10:28
Quote:
WillC
Quote:
ale shark

Yes but they specifically chose matches and weekends which would attract higher crowds so its not really a fair comparison.

Who's they? BT Sport?

NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 14:36
Considering the Club is so strongly reliant on the income from corporate attendance I can see the current reasoning behind matches on Friday nights. The Saturday crowds need to grow a significant amount money brought in goes some way to equaling or bettering that Friday corporate money. Say non-corporate attendance equated to 60-70% to that then the Club could probably find enough corporate interest to mean that the overall income for Saturdays would outweigh that of Fridays but until that day we best get used to the jumble of match days

Yareet (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 15:36
Quote:
ale shark

The corporates could also be paying significantly more per head. Plus there will be variable costs associated with headcount. These will also be impacted by the ratio of corporate to ordinary punter. It's not inconceivable that the overall profitability of the Friday night games is currently higher.

ale shark (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 15:48
I'm sure it is but to say they want increased attendances on Saturdays but offer no Saturday matches is odd.

11 August, 2017 15:58
I imagine to increase attendance they want to increase desire to watch the team i.e. not be in a relegation battle.

And do that they want a strong squad. To do that they want solid financials.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 19:57
Chicken and egg. Which came first.

Do you try to invest in a strong squad to generate the gates.

Or do you work slowly and incrementally to build crowds via other means.

With the first there are plenty who have achieved success, including ourselves, but none I am aware have turned it into financial success.

In the second category, you could cite Exeter as a success story. Tigers have always had it. Bath too both had extended and more sustainable eras of success. Sale don't have the captive market of any of those 3. I think we are taking the slower bit more reliable route to success. But I do fear that when push comes to shove, fear of loss regularly trumps hope of success and we fall back on the cheaper more sustainable option.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net