rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Charles Piutau signs for Brizz for 1 million pa
11 August, 2017 06:55
.....as reported today. We could afford 6 of him with our 6 million squad spend.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Re: Charles Piutau signs for Brizz for 1 million pa
Ellastone Basking (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 09:21
Although I am reasonably happy with our signings, other Premiership sides are getting stronger for example this guy to Bristol and an array of top quality internationals signing for other clubs. I fear another optimistic pre season will be crushed by reality.

hilly07 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 09:49
I'm really not worried about Bristol or Piutau this season for 2 very obvious reasons!!!

Headington Shark (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 10:19
I might have misunderstood the reports but I believe Piutau will be joining Bristol for the 2018/19 season (i.e. when they're back in the Prem).

hilly07 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 10:34
Which is why comparing our signings for this season against this news is a little odd!

hilly07 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:04
I've just seen a picture of FDK and JOC together - how can we not be optimistic this season - with ALL our quality local players signed up?!!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:59
At 1mill he may be great, but will still be poor value for money, especially if they dont put a strong pack of forwards in front of him.

Our squad is excellent value for money. Is it great? probably not but its pretty good.

We're more than capable of playing as a coherent team, underrated by many, but bound by a strong local bond, powered by the enthusiasm of youth and steered with a good smattering of experience and true quality.

Rugby remains overridingly a team game. Get the team side right, culturally and selectorially, and you'll beat teams with considerably more individual quality but less coherent. Only the best clubs, Sarries & Toulon of late, are capable of making a great team out of great individuals.

This current squad is capable of finishing anywhere from 12th to 5th IMO, depending on how well they gel as a unit. This is despite our squad being comfortably the cheapest and smallest in the league.

hilly07 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 12:50
Exactly - if you go hunting for individuals you risk getting the disgrace that was the season that Richie Grey spent in Manchester.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 13:18
as always, its getting the right kind of individual.

11 August, 2017 13:42
Quote:
MartWhit
At 1mill he may be great, but will still be poor value for money, especially if they dont put a strong pack of forwards in front of him.
Our squad is excellent value for money. Is it great? probably not but its pretty good.

We're more than capable of playing as a coherent team, underrated by many, but bound by a strong local bond, powered by the enthusiasm of youth and steered with a good smattering of experience and true quality.

Rugby remains overridingly a team game. Get the team side right, culturally and selectorially, and you'll beat teams with considerably more individual quality but less coherent. Only the best clubs, Sarries & Toulon of late, are capable of making a great team out of great individuals.

This current squad is capable of finishing anywhere from 12th to 5th IMO, depending on how well they gel as a unit. This is despite our squad being comfortably the cheapest and smallest in the league.

To be fair to Sarries they aren't just individuals. They're the example of a sum greater than it's parts.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 13:49
I think they are both Headington. Superb individuals, lots of big names, but with strong character, and together you are correct, they add up to more than the sum of parts.

jamestaylorreturns (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 17:15
but you all have to admit; CP would be a great addition to almost any squad...??

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 17:57
Quote:
MartWhit

12th to 8th maybe, not sure your stronger than Bath, Quin or Saints (7th - 5th) currently..

MartWhit (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 19:50
On paper, I'm not sure we are either. But if the collective gels then they could get top 6

I looked at Quinn's previously and thought that Adam jones, bidder and horwill completed a talented squad. But it didn't quite work out that way for whatever reason.

Ditto saints. Great squad but looked bereft without Sami manoa. Anything is possible right now. And the team will still trump the strength of the individuals.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 20:00
I'll stick my neck out and predict that we'll finish 4th or 5th.....

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 20:41
We were top 6 year before last. Much of the sqad is the same with the (admittedly significant) losses of Cips,TT and Vadim. However, we now have Faf, O'Connor, Ross, Webber, Solomona, Charnley, Strauss, AJ along with some talented youngsters who are 2 years further in their development. I think we have every reason to be optimistic for the coming season.

thekeg (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 06:32
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Quote:
MartWhit

12th to 8th maybe, not sure your stronger than Bath, Quin or Saints (7th - 5th) currently..

Not sure I see saints doing anything this year, in fact I think they might fall back into the bottom 4.

yukon (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:37
Quote:
hilly07
I've just seen a picture of FDK and JOC together - how can we not be optimistic this season - with ALL our quality local players signed up?!!

I wish there was a "like" button on this forum.

Bristol are a mess, chucking anything at everything and they're not getting making it work. We have a brilliant combination of young local talent, good squad players and some really brilliant individuals. I'm very happy with our team and our business and I reckon we're much better placed.

robtheh (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 09:12
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
hilly07

Bristol are a mess, chucking anything at everything and they're not getting making it work. We have a brilliant combination of young local talent, good squad players and some really brilliant individuals. I'm very happy with our team and our business and I reckon we're much better placed.

I think you're focussing on last season. We WERE a mess, agreed.
However, it looks and feels like a different club this season.
I for one am very glad we have a benefactor who is willing to pay for quality.
I don't wholly agree with your statement that you're much better placed: you were in the relegation scrap last season, haven't added too much to the squad that was in the relegation scrap, and yet expect to do better this season.
You are in the Prem, we're not. You are better placed from that point of view.
But you're saddled with Diamond, and his mates on the board. If things start going down the pan, can't be reversed and you can't get rid of him, that's going to cause a lot of problems for you guys.

clutch (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 11:25
Maybe it is different, but this idiotic signing suggests otherwise.

We under achieved last year, plus, we always finish 6th when not in Europe. That is more telling evidence than last season. We have clearly added significantly to the squad. Whether that is enough to sort out our rolling maul issues and lack of power up front remains to be seen.

robtheh (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 11:37
Quote:
clutch
Maybe it is different, but this idiotic signing suggests otherwise.
We under achieved last year, plus, we always finish 6th when not in Europe. That is more telling evidence than last season. We have clearly added significantly to the squad. Whether that is enough to sort out our rolling maul issues and lack of power up front remains to be seen.

I really struggle to see how this signing can be viewed as idiotic.
I think to describe your squad additions as significant is subjective: I don't see the additions that way. But whichever way you look at it, best of luck for the season.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:20
Idiotic signing... hmm. Can we not call the one that was in breach of contract law idiotic instead as it's far more appropriate?

BTW it's less than 1mil also.

ale shark (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:32
To create such a well-publicised wage imbalance with the rest of the squad is hardly likely to ensure good harmony in a team that may not be challenging for silverware. Youre talking multiples above the next highest wage earner, let alone the standard club pros.

Good luck with it though, a strong Bristol team would be good for the league and itll be good to see Piutau back.

thekeg (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 14:25
He's a top player but just chucking huge money at that sort of player before the foundations are in place seems bonkers to me.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 14:29
Quote:
robtheh
I think to describe your squad additions as significant is subjective: I don't see the additions that way.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion unless you are simply considering Cliff and Jones returning from you

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 16:06
He's a game changer and game winner, in his prime...I'd happily spend that cash on him if the objective is to win rugby matches...the money is for the owners to worry about IMO.

The game has changed financially for good or bad but either way, class costs.

thekeg (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 16:55
Quote:
Hymenoptera
He's a game changer and game winner, in his prime...I'd happily spend that cash on him if the objective is to win rugby matches...the money is for the owners to worry about IMO.
The game has changed financially for good or bad but either way, class costs.

His is all of those things, but having that sort of talent without ensuring the basic foundations of the club are sound doesn't seem like proper planning to me. Obviously I'd love it if we signed him.....

robtheh (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 17:31
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
robtheh
I think to describe your squad additions as significant is subjective: I don't see the additions that way.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion unless you are simply considering Cliff and Jones returning from you

I read it as, discounting those who've come up from your academy, you've got 8 in.
From what I saw of you guys last season, you struggled in the lineout, ball retention and shape and direction to your backline.
Subjectively, I would have been disappointed had we signed the guys you have to address the issues I suggest. Obviously, I'm not a pro rugby coach! There'll be more issues, or different issues, than those I've named.
Only Worcester have recruited, in my opinion, as lightly as you.
But, as I said, best of luck next season.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 18:13
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
robtheh

I read it as, discounting those who've come up from your academy, you've got 8 in.
From what I saw of you guys last season, you struggled in the lineout, ball retention and shape and direction to your backline.
Subjectively, I would have been disappointed had we signed the guys you have to address the issues I suggest. Obviously, I'm not a pro rugby coach! There'll be more issues, or different issues, than those I've named.
Only Worcester have recruited, in my opinion, as lightly as you.
But, as I said, best of luck next season.

Not sure we struggled in the lineout on our own throw, though we did struggle to defend an opposing rolling maul admittedly.

Ball retention is as much to do with coaching as personnel, I would suggest, and any issues in that respect were much improved during the second half of the season.

Shape and direction to the backline again was an issue in the first half of the season. Hardly surprising when we had two new fly halfs who both missed much of the first half through injury.We then became reliant on a centre (Sam James) playing out of position at 10, albeit creditably. In addition, we had two RL converts on the wings playing their first season in Union. Again, the second half of the season saw a huge improvement as McGinty gained fitness and started to settle, and the rest of the backline found some consistency. The signings of de Klerk and O'Connor are huge for the coming season.

We are definitely a lock and probably a LH short for the coming season

Finally, the fruits of one of the best academies in the league are showing real promise. Importantly, the club has shown its commitment in this respect by signing up many of these on 5 year deals. We have every reason to be optimistic for the this season, particularly as we will not lose many, if any players, during the internationals.

thekeg (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 18:13
I'd say our two big issues last year were lack of ball carrying forwards and quality/continuity at half back, so we often then struggled to get over the gainline and get quick enough ball. When you throw in the half back issues that makes shape and direction out wide very difficult, so I'd say that The forwards we've signed and the half backs are mainly to combat those issues.

Don't see our lineout as a problem really, in fact I think statistically it's right up there and if Beaumont and Evans are the regular pairing we've got two quality operators there

thekeg (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 18:15
Agree we look a bigger lock and prop short, plus a scrum half unless sturgess is ready to step up in a big way

clutch (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 11:31
I'm intrigued to find out who other teams have recruited if we are only ahead of Worcester. Not disagreeing as such.

Just looked, so now I am disagreeing. We have signed 3 international class players, 1 v good player, 2 punts and 2 former players.

45jumper (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 12:52
I think our recruitment has been very good, my only reservation is about JOC at 10. A brilliant player for sure, but I'm not sure he's at his best there. Our depth is much, much better than it has been in years, we could put out two competitive teams -

Haley, Solomona, Addison, James, Charnley, JOC, De Klerk
Harrison, Webber, Aulika, Beaumont, Evans, Ross, Curry, Strauss

McGuigan, Odogwu, Leota, Jennings, Reed, MacGinty, Cliff
Flynn, Jones, Taurus, Ostrikov, Nott, Ioane, Curry, Pearce

The signings of Jones and Cliff have unfairly been cause for a lot of negativity, but Jones in particular was arguably our best performing player when he left. I think people underestimate him massively, he's a Sale lad through and through and will run through brick walls for the shirt. That counts for an awful lot.
Just to temper my above enthusiasm, I would agree with posters who say we need a big lock and experienced loosehead. We can't expect Harrison to play as many times as he did last year, if he got a bad injury we'd be in big trouble. Flynn is talented but needs experience around him to ensure he doesn't get overexposed.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 14:54
Its very true 45 that our 2nd choice side should be considerably less green this year than previously. Most have reasonable 1st XV experience and the dquad is benefitting from the stability of longer contracts and less upheaval in the last couple of years.

We have the basis for being able to use the full squad appropriately, and not sparingly. Interestingly, your squad does not include WillGriff John or Cam Nield, both of whom I expect to challenge for 1st choice in their respective positions. Additionally, Dave Seymour and Ciaran Parker lie in wait to cover injuries.

We're thin at the back, but JOC can clearly play there to a very high standard.

Which brings us back to halfbacks, where we are incredilbly lean even before considering JOC may need to play elsewhere. James or Faf could passably play 10 for limited periods of a season. But its insanely optimistic to think we cna go a seaosn without needing a 3rd scrum half. Sturgess may be the future, but its a big ask for him to be the present too. I really cant see why we didnt retain Stringer for the season to play the same role Dave Seymour is playing, essentially mentoring and backup.

A Loose head addition also seems unavoidable. Again I dont think Jake Pop'e time has yet come and I wouldn't want him to have to play extended periods just yet.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 15:13
Quote:
MartWhit
Its very true 45 that our 2nd choice side should be considerably less green this year than previously. Most have reasonable 1st XV experience and the dquad is benefitting from the stability of longer contracts and less upheaval in the last couple of years.
We have the basis for being able to use the full squad appropriately, and not sparingly. Interestingly, your squad does not include WillGriff John or Cam Nield, both of whom I expect to challenge for 1st choice in their respective positions. Additionally, Dave Seymour and Ciaran Parker lie in wait to cover injuries.

We're thin at the back, but JOC can clearly play there to a very high standard.

Which brings us back to halfbacks, where we are incredilbly lean even before considering JOC may need to play elsewhere. James or Faf could passably play 10 for limited periods of a season. But its insanely optimistic to think we cna go a seaosn without needing a 3rd scrum half. Sturgess may be the future, but its a big ask for him to be the present too. I really cant see why we didnt retain Stringer for the season to play the same role Dave Seymour is playing, essentially mentoring and backup.

A Loose head addition also seems unavoidable. Again I dont think Jake Pop'e time has yet come and I wouldn't want him to have to play extended periods just yet.

Agree wholeheartedly about Stringer, though we dont know why he left. Perhaps Dimes couldnt guarantee him sufficient game time with Faf and Cliff signing (though I would rather have a 39 yo Stringer on the field than Cliff tbh). Also, when you look at the work Cam does, it is harsh to leave him out of the '2nd XI' above.

Do we have any further news about ELR? I know he is hardly the future but, if fit, he will still do a job, particularly in the scrum where he was definitely missed at times last year, in spite of Ross's improvement in that area.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 15:39
I think he's gone Chris. But in any case, I thinkthe game has moved on from props who can hold up a scrum but contribute little outside. Its like playing with 14 men.

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 16:02
ELR is still listed in the up to date squad

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 16:06
Nonetheless I dont think he's in training. Perhaps still in contract?

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 16:26
Quote:
45jumper
McGuigan, Odogwu, Leota, Jennings, Reed, MacGinty, Cliff
Flynn, Jones, Taurus, Ostrikov, Nott, Ioane, Curry, Pearce

Sorry but that team would be relegated by some distance. It's certainly more competitive than our recent 2nd XV but you're kidding yourself if you think that team could compete in any match in the top tier competitions. It's a very long way short of our 1st XV.

Yes they can step up into the 1st XV but lose 4-5 players at once and it's not a top 8 team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2017 18:08 by ale shark.

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 16:48
Surely you could say that about most squads though. Most have more depth in terms of pure numbers but I'm not so sure outside the top 4 they have much real quality in reserve than the team listed.

I coincidentally put up pretty much the same team on the other thread as possible starters for the Anglo Welsh, but the good thing is that we should be able to play a good few of these each week without substantially weakening the first team and allowing the usual starters some rest outside of the cup. I don't think we've had this level of quality and experience in reserve since the PSA days.

P.s. With Cliff I think a lot of the negativity was around the idea he may be the first choice option. As cover and rotation with Faf I think the majority would probably be happy enough with him in the squad - that's how I feel anyway. Stringer is viewed with rose tinted glasses if you ask me. His performances last year were generally poor. He couldn't keep Phillips out of the team early on when Phillips was also poor, and he was also injured for large periods. As an old player he's only going to get worse and more likely to get injured and that's not a good use of funds IMO.

Olyy (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 17:17
I think our squad looks really good this seasons,
I still have questions over tighthead (mainly because the recruited players are unknown quantities/haven't played at this level before) and lock (no recruitment there, just moving some (very good) backrowers to lock, where they've had limited success before - no telling how a full preseason of work solely at lock will have changed them though).

I've no qualms about JOC at 10, he's played there at every level up to the highest (including a large part of a RWC 3rd place final). Whilst his form does fluctuate, I don't think it does as much as Cipriani's did, and his absence has been badly felt since he left.

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 17:17
Quote:
MartWhit
Nonetheless I dont think he's in training. Perhaps still in contract?

I've honestly no idea, but seems odd if he's gone

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 17:27
On a slightly different note, if macginty isn't on the pitch, who is our likely goal kicker? O'Connor or Addison? I saw footage of Faf knocking over a long kick the other day, which suggests he might also provide an option

yukon (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 19:14
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
hilly07

I don't wholly agree with your statement that you're much better placed: you were in the relegation scrap last season, haven't added too much to the squad that was in the relegation scrap, and yet expect to do better this season.
But you're saddled with Diamond, and his mates on the board. If things start going down the pan, can't be reversed and you can't get rid of him, that's going to cause a lot of problems for you guys.

We're obviously better placed and if you don't think De Clerk, O'Connor, Strauss, Ross etc aren't adding much then your club's ridiculous spending has meant you've lost touch with reality. That coupled with our young talent (remember that), from the second most successful academy in the AP, we have the makings of a superb team.

As for your jibe about Dimes, I presume your still bitter because he didn't take your club receiving illicit information lying down. Stay classy

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 22:23
Quote:
thekeg
On a slightly different note, if macginty isn't on the pitch, who is our likely goal kicker? O'Connor or Addison? I saw footage of Faf knocking over a long kick the other day, which suggests he might also provide an option

The highlights reel suggests that JOC can be a pretty good kicker whilst Addison was working hard on his kicking before his season-ending injury. Can't remember when I asked him, whether in flesh or on the podcast, about his kicking but the answer was that he enjoyed it and was going to work on it further.

Olyy (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 08:46
My guess is JOC will be our first choice kicker, he has been for most sides he's been in. Thought I'd imagine his recovery from injury could come into it, AJ's kicking struggled last season while he had his hamstring issues.

We're going to have a number of options next season with both 10s, Addison, James, McGuigan, Faf, Wilf and even Charnley all having kicked at some point at the top level. Not saying they're all first choice quality but we're not going to get down to a point with injuries where they're drawing straws on the pitch to see who takes the shot at goal.

clutch (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 10:59
No repeat of Vaughn Going not reaching the posts from 20 yards!

I'd assume that Addison will. He looked good last season, I'd like to think he'd have improved further with Callard. I'd imagine him as captain relishing the opportunity.

Let's face it, it is an issue, the lack of a top goal kicker. As a purist, I'm happy as it will mean more kicking for the corner, but it could cost us games, as it has done before. Hopefully someone can step in and do the job.

robtheh (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 11:25
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
hilly07

We're obviously better placed and if you don't think De Clerk, O'Connor, Strauss, Ross etc aren't adding much then your club's ridiculous spending has meant you've lost touch with reality. That coupled with our young talent (remember that), from the second most successful academy in the AP, we have the makings of a superb team.

As for your jibe about Dimes, I presume your still bitter because he didn't take your club receiving illicit information lying down. Stay classy

As I said further up, my friend, that young talent didn't get you completely out of the relegation mire last season. I don't doubt that those you've brought in will add something. My point was, will it be enough?

As for Dimes, I could not give less of a hoot about the Arscott saga. Whatever happened, happened. Move on.
Don't tell me to stay classy, I don't believe I've slurred your team or any member thereof. You need to have a look at yourself son.

thekeg (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 12:10
Of course the goalkicking issue might be resolved bymaginty hitting form early season

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 12:41
Quote:
robtheh
... But you're saddled with Diamond ....

... Don't tell me to stay classy, I don't believe I've slurred your team or any member thereof.

What short memories some people have.

robtheh (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 13:44
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
robtheh

... Don't tell me to stay classy, I don't believe I've slurred your team or any member thereof.

Ok, whatever. That's not a slur.
Good luck.

Yareet (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 13:51
Quote:
clutch
I'm intrigued to find out who other teams have recruited if we are only ahead of Worcester. Not disagreeing as such.
Just looked, so now I am disagreeing. We have signed 3 international class players, 1 v good player, 2 punts and 2 former players.

As you wish

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 18:19
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
robtheh

Ok, whatever. That's not a slur.
Good luck.

No of course it isn't. It's a compliment I suppose.

Meanwhile back in the real World ....

17 August, 2017 07:08
I don't think he's trying to slur anyone, it's just an opinion on an opinion board. Would be nice if people didn't get their backs up over small comments so reasonable conversation could continue.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 11:20
Wishful thinking. It gets a bit like East Thanet with immigrants on here, when an opposition fan comes in with an opinion!

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 13:43
Opposition fans are great. Opposition hypocrites less so.

robtheh (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 15:22
Quote:
SimonG19

In which respect have I been hypocritical?!
I have an opinion which you clearly don't like, which has caused you to start telling me I'm slurring your team and your team's coach! Sorry pal, but I think you need to listen to your fellow supporters! I only wish you guys every success; I just have an opinion which is contrary to that wish!

clutch (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 18:17
How very dare you come on here and have an opinion :-)

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 10:07
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
SimonG19

I have an opinion which you clearly don't like, which has caused you to start telling me I'm slurring your team and your team's coach! Sorry pal, but I think you need to listen to your fellow supporters! I only wish you guys every success; I just have an opinion which is contrary to that wish!

Seriously? Are you incapable of even reading what you posted?

You are perfectly entitled to have an opinion which insults Steve Diamond but when you then come on and say you haven't slurred (dictionary definition to cast aspersions) him and all you are doing is wishing Sale success then my opinion is that you are a hypocrite.

It's that simple and unfortunately for you the evidence is there for anyone with a brain to see.

robtheh (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 11:25
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
SimonG19

You are perfectly entitled to have an opinion which insults Steve Diamond but when you then come on and say you haven't slurred (dictionary definition to cast aspersions) him and all you are doing is wishing Sale success then my opinion is that you are a hypocrite.

It's that simple and unfortunately for you the evidence is there for anyone with a brain to see.

Ok, if you want to take it as me casting aspersions, then you go right ahead. People have said, in the past, that Bristol's board was hostile; you, my friend, take that to the limit.
You should realise that your own team's supporters have said I'm not slurring anyone. Utilising your logic, does that mean you think your fellow supporters don't have a brain, because they don't see what you do?! Bet you're GREAT to stand alongside, as both an opposition and a fellow fan!
Have a good season all you reasonable Sale fans.
Peace out from Bris!

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 15:14
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
SimonG19

Ok, if you want to take it as me casting aspersions, then you go right ahead. People have said, in the past, that Bristol's board was hostile; you, my friend, take that to the limit.
You should realise that your own team's supporters have said I'm not slurring anyone. Utilising your logic, does that mean you think your fellow supporters don't have a brain, because they don't see what you do?! Bet you're GREAT to stand alongside, as both an opposition and a fellow fan!
Have a good season all you reasonable Sale fans.
Peace out from Bris!

I'd put that shovel away and stop digging. The hole you have made for yourself is now quite enormous!

HaleShark (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 19:38
Quote:
hilly07
Exactly - if you go hunting for individuals you risk getting the disgrace that was the season that Richie Grey spent in Manchester.

Agree.

It's a large gamble coughing up 1m for one player, I wish Briz well with their investment. I hope to see them back in the premiership, they have a lot of potential to be more of a success than they currently are.

I'm reasonably confident we are in a better position than last season, always difficult to judge right now if we've recruited better than the teams we can realistically compete with.

clutch (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 11:43
Not sure disgrace is fair. Didn't quite work out for sure. As much as anything else, Grey was more of a hand out wide kind of player, and that didn't suit us. Put it another way, I'm not sure he's that good, but that doesn't make him a disgrace.

KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 10:18
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
hilly07

Thanks for that ill informed judgement on us in Bristol! You will find (if bothered to research before spouting off) that we have been playing a 17 and 18 year old in our pre-season games, and also supplied the England U18 with two of its props on the SA tour. So no, not a one-trick pony.

I'm glad you have such a great set-up and are guaranteed survival in the Prem . . . of course, time will tell

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 11:38
Quote:
KingoftheHill
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
hilly07

Thanks for that ill informed judgement on us in Bristol! You will find (if bothered to research before spouting off) that we have been playing a 17 and 18 year old in our pre-season games, and also supplied the England U18 with two of its props on the SA tour. So no, not a one-trick pony.

I'm glad you have such a great set-up and are guaranteed survival in the Prem . . . of course, time will tell

of course Yukon didn't say any of that but don't let it stop your ill informed rant.

23 August, 2017 11:43
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
KingoftheHill
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
hilly07

of course Yukon didn't say any of that but don't let it stop your ill informed rant.

Well you're not reading it then, but carry on

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 13:11
Quote:
KingoftheHill
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
KingoftheHill
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
hilly07

Well you're not reading it then, but carry on

Silly, very silly when the evidence is there for all to see. But carry on.

yukon (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 18:46
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
KingoftheHill
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
hilly07

I didn't say that no, but the protestations would suggest a certain chip on a certain shoulder.

We have four players in the u18's by the way.

Whilst I'm at it, "a" 17 and 18 year old. Well done, your contribution to the development of the sport is invaluable, congratulations. I think it was 14 homegrown players in our squad v Edinburgh. Granted not many were 17 but the five academy lads we signed on 5 year contracts earlier this summer should even that out.

Moral of the story is don't put words in my mouth, especially as the facts will undermine your argument. Now let's play nice and focus on the real enemy, Wasps (Sm100)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/08/2017 19:00 by yukon.

24 August, 2017 15:02
Sorry, I got distracted reading about Rob Webber. . .

yukon (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 04:58
Quote:
KingoftheHill

Like I said before to your fellow Bristolian , stay classy

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 06:46
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
KingoftheHill

Like I said before to your fellow Bristolian , stay classy

As was demonstrated by several posters during Arscotgate, sadly that is a concept that a number of Bristolians struggle to recognise

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net