rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Ailing AJB gets another loan from Salford Council
14 August, 2017 17:52
It's now £25 million in debt....

[salfordstar.com]

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/08/2017 17:54 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Re: Ailing AJB gets another loan from Salford Council
Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 18:13
It would seem sensible for the council to enthusiastically accept ANY offer from Corpacq.....

14 August, 2017 18:29
...or from Dr. Koukash

emerging shark (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 05:10
'Even more weird is that the Council will find the money for the loan from interest payments made by the Stadium company on previous loans. In other words, money is circulating from the Council to the Stadium and back, while the liabilities and loans are increasing. Interest repayment on this latest loan, the report states "will be a number of years hence".
Mess springs to mind...

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 07:40
I agree with Grumpy.

You've got to stay objective and cut your losses when theres little possibility of turning it around.

Come on Simon, make them another offer.

15 August, 2017 08:28
Why would he take on such huge losses for a stadium when he won't suffer much smaller losses on the franchise? I'd be actively seeking another stadium (and no - not EP) - if only as a bargaining chip.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 08:43
Because he could make more of the asset than them IMO. And as owner as well as user, all interests would be aligned. He has bucketloads of property experience on the board. And if it all goes pear shaped I suspect he has a backup plan to level the stadium and try to put prime retail on it, whilst building or moving to a better stadium elsewhere.

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 08:58
Quote:
MartWhit
Because he could make more of the asset than them IMO. And as owner as well as user, all interests would be aligned. He has bucketloads of property experience on the board. And if it all goes pear shaped I suspect he has a backup plan to level the stadium and try to put prime retail on it, whilst building or moving to a better stadium elsewhere.

Them being Peel Holdings? Peel have major long term plans for that whole area and have proven they are quite happy (and have the money) to play the long game.

15 August, 2017 08:59
I doubt he could level a stadium built as a community asset. Prime retail seemingly won't touch it as they're already at the TC & the retail park opposite.

23Shark (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 09:01
I dont think it'd be a great business venture to buy the stadium, I'd much rather we looked for a stadium closer to public transport links

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 09:52
IIRC both Dimes and SO have publicly stated that they are trying to buy the stadium with the caveat that if they can't, they will want to move to a new stadium that they control.

james46 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 10:10
Quote:
23Shark
I dont think it'd be a great business venture to buy the stadium, I'd much rather we looked for a stadium closer to public transport links

Absolutely, it's in the wrong place.

23Shark (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 12:58
Didn't Peel only build it to appease the council so they could develop further down the road?

yukon (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 19:21
Quote:
23Shark
Didn't Peel only build it to appease the council so they could develop further down the road?

Probably and Peel are land bankers, they'll have zero interest in owning/ managing it. If I was a gambling man, I'd put my money on Sale buying it and not moving but that's an educated guess based on a hunch

15 August, 2017 19:50
My guess would be a joint buy out between SS and Kougash...

yukon (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 22:02
Quote:
emerging shark

No chance, that would defeat the object of owning their own ground. Simon Orange doesn't exactly strike me as the sort of bloke that likes being dictated to.

I hope the misspelling of our co-tenants' owner was a mere typo and not simply puerile name calling...

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 22:28
Quote:
emerging shark

To me that makes the most sense.

There is little doubt that the stadium being owned by the the 2 tenants who use it would improve the match day experience. There is no commercial reason for one to "evict" the other as they can co-exist reasonably well so why would either want to give up the income the other provides.

Dr Koukash (I assume the quoted post was a typo) has a history of property development as does several of those on the SS board.

A 50/50 ownership of the stadium, equal split of maintance costs (maybe even using non rugby events to pay for these), with some sort of % profit from bar/food takings and some combining of back office staff and maybe even Salford moving some of their admin to Carrington?

Potential to save both clubs money and to increase revenue streams for both clubs is there.

While I agree that Peel only got involved in building the stadium to help planning consent for Port Salford, they will not want to sell for less than they have invested and Salford Council definitely need to get their investment back.

Either Koukash/Sale/both will eventually buy the stadium but, in my opinion that will not happen until the plots surrounding it are sold and the stadium can then be sold without a big loss.

Timpers (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 15:24

www.fourfourtwo.com/features/how-build-new-stadium-those-who-have#6orvewbZ30pPteDt.99

"Today the former Burnley and Bolton Wanderers striker (Paul Fletcher) is working on stadium projects in three different continents. His work at the McAlpine Stadium as it was first known, then at the Reebok Stadium and the new Wembley, quickly made him one of the most respected men in the business.

"I thought we did very well with a great name like Reebok but the mistake with the stadium I think was that itís too far from the town centre. Bolton were in the Premier League for a long time but the crowds didn't increase. I've realised that thereís a distance that fans wonít travel and I think thatís about two miles out of a town centre.""

My bolding.

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 16:40
Quote:
Timpers
www.fourfourtwo.com/features/how-build-new-stadium-those-who-have#6orvewbZ30pPteDt.99

"Today the former Burnley and Bolton Wanderers striker (Paul Fletcher) is working on stadium projects in three different continents. His work at the McAlpine Stadium as it was first known, then at the Reebok Stadium and the new Wembley, quickly made him one of the most respected men in the business.

"I thought we did very well with a great name like Reebok but the mistake with the stadium I think was that itís too far from the town centre. Bolton were in the Premier League for a long time but the crowds didn't increase. I've realised that thereís a distance that fans wonít travel and I think thatís about two miles out of a town centre.""

My bolding.

Paul Fletcher was a smart footballer and it seems he is still a smart guy.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 19:54
Quote:
emerging shark

It has obvious logic, a joint-venture between the two teams that use the stadium, but for the fact that the other team is owned by Kougash who is for me a dangerous quantity. A maverick who's prone to say and do things that could give us trouble. I wouldn't want to get involved with any business deal with him. I'd prefer we look at a new stadium in an area nearer our heartland of supporters. Add to that it wouldn't surprise me if Salford left the stadium (as Kougash have threatened) and the entire site was knocked down and written of as a bad debt and re-developed into something else.

ulsterlad (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 21:13
Quote:
HaleShark
Quote:
emerging shark

It has obvious logic, a joint-venture between the two teams that use the stadium, but for the fact that the other team is owned by Kougash who is for me a dangerous quantity. A maverick who's prone to say and do things that could give us trouble. I wouldn't want to get involved with any business deal with him. I'd prefer we look at a new stadium in an area nearer our heartland of supporters. Add to that it wouldn't surprise me if Salford left the stadium (as Kougash have threatened) and the entire site was knocked down and written of as a bad debt and re-developed into something else.

Personally I find it rather distasteful, when someone out of ignorance/jealousy/spite spells his name name incorrectly, much like I used to do in primary school.

Dr Marwan Koukash, walked out of Palestine as a bare foot refugee, to Jordan. Eventually got a scholarship in the UK, gained entry to John Moore's Uni in Liverpool, where she got a PHd in electrical engineering. Subsequently he became a lecturer at Liverpool United and has made enough money to become the biggest race horse owner in the UK, subsidize a RL team to the time of £4m a year, spend 10 years restoring a Grade 1 listed building in Liverpool into a top hotel and some people think they can up him by making childish plays with his name.

It is rather sad.

yukon (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 06:18
Quote:
ulsterlad
Quote:
HaleShark
Quote:
emerging shark

Personally I find it rather distasteful, when someone out of ignorance/jealousy/spite spells his name name incorrectly, much like I used to do in primary school.

Dr Marwan Koukash, walked out of Palestine as a bare foot refugee, to Jordan. Eventually got a scholarship in the UK, gained entry to John Moore's Uni in Liverpool, where she got a PHd in electrical engineering. Subsequently he became a lecturer at Liverpool United and has made enough money to become the biggest race horse owner in the UK, subsidize a RL team to the time of £4m a year, spend 10 years restoring a Grade 1 listed building in Liverpool into a top hotel and some people think they can up him by making childish plays with his name.

It is rather sad.

Since you put it like that, can we draw a line under this now please? You don't have to like the man or his sport but don't resort to puerile name calling.

Now back on topic.

As Fletcher says, towns and therefore options are important. Bolton's ground like many new stadia, including our own, suffer because you have to park, eat & drink there and the patron is at the mercy of the powers that be.

Long gone are the days when the best pub was debated on this board (it was the Vic by the way!). A plastic cup of overpriced, cooking bitter just isn't the same, it's soulless.

iBozz (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 08:15
The Vic? The Vic! Ye Olde Vic, if you please! I'm a shareholder so we must get names correct! (Sm14)

Mind you, like many other names it is spelled differently by different people but Ye Olde Vic is the recognised name.

But I preferred The Royal Oak whilst Noel Borrell was still Mine Host. Not only did he look after the rugby supporters from all Clubs very well and provide superb breakfasts on suitable game days, he looked after Her Ladyship brilliantly.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 08:29
There was no malice in spelling his name incorrectly from me, I won't blame Emerging either as I copied the name from his post without checking which was my error.

Anyway, as Yukon says let's get back on topic.

Interesting points made about out of town grounds not just limited to the UK either as I believe the Delle Alpi stadium in Turin suffered the same issues and was demolished after just 21 years from when it was built.

I'd be worried if we were the sole owners of the A.J. Bell and my concerns of joint ownership with Salford are on a previous post on this thread. The synergies of union and league teams sharing are obvious but with anything to do with property it's all about location, location, location.

yukon (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 10:18
Quote:
iBozz
The Vic? The Vic! Ye Olde Vic, if you please! I'm a shareholder so we must get names correct! (Sm14)
Mind you, like many other names it is spelled differently by different people but Ye Olde Vic is the recognised name.

But I preferred The Royal Oak whilst Noel Borrell was still Mine Host. Not only did he look after the rugby supporters from all Clubs very well and provide superb breakfasts on suitable game days, he looked after Her Ladyship brilliantly.

"The Vic" is a term of endearment! Is it still plodding on under Steve's stewardship?

iBozz (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 12:43
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
iBozz

"The Vic" is a term of endearment! Is it still plodding on under Steve's stewardship?

It certainly is, after a slight hiccough - hence the shareholders (in the property but not the business). You can now tell that it is actually open during opening hours and what those are: 1730 to 2300(ish).

The building is being gradually renovated and structurally tidied but it retains (and we hope always will) its legendary quirkiness.

Bad language is still subject to an immediate ban or, if Steve is in a very very very very good mood, a reprimand and a look that dares you to let even the slightest profanity slip ever again!

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 12:46
Quote:
ulsterlad
where she got a PHd in electrical engineering.
You assumed people were deliberately insulting him by mispelling his name when it may merely have been a typo similar to the one you have committed above which is equally embarrassing.

The statements they made had no semblance of jealousy or vitriol so I'm dispointed you went off on the forum users who to me made an honest mistake.

A simple Koukash not kougash may have been sufficient.

yukon (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 15:40
Quote:
iBozz
Quote:
yukon
Quote:
iBozz

It certainly is, after a slight hiccough - hence the shareholders (in the property but not the business). You can now tell that it is actually open during opening hours and what those are: 1730 to 2300(ish).

The building is being gradually renovated and structurally tidied but it retains (and we hope always will) its legendary quirkiness.

Bad language is still subject to an immediate ban or, if Steve is in a very very very very good mood, a reprimand and a look that dares you to let even the slightest profanity slip ever again!

I saw there was a save the Vic (sic) campaign, I'm glad they found a way of doing it. I always enjoyed (amongst other curios) the suit of armour with a handbag and the random false leg!

I've witnessed a swearer being reprimanded before; luckily I was pre-warned.

This is sort of what I'm talking about above. I doubt anyone will reminisce about the keg of bitter inside the fans bar at the AJ Bell.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 07:48
Quote:
HaleShark

Interesting points made about out of town grounds not just limited to the UK either as I believe the Delle Alpi stadium in Turin suffered the same issues and was demolished after just 21 years from when it was built.

Although the location was not ideal that wasn't the reason why it was demolished as the new ground was built on the same site. It was simply a dreadful stadium.

21 August, 2017 07:48
Been away for the weekend.. flabbergasted... just a genuine error in typing ffs....I have no views whatsoever about the good Doctor...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net