rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Squad For Edinburgh
C3Q (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 19:53
Looks like some good news on injuries too.

[www.salesharks.com]

Re: Squad For Edinburgh
thekeg (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 20:18
I didn't spot it initially but that looks like a starting xv and 15 subs, perhaps an indication of where we go vs wasps

Crutch (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 21:56
Great to see the new guys feature and injury returnees also.

Pope there and no ELR, does anyone actually know for sure what's going on? If he's gone and we're not bringing in another loose head that's a massive step up for Flynn.

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 07:03
Having three grandsons who play for Boroughmiur, eldest also in Edinburgh U16s and Scotland U16s squads a son-in-law who coaches at Boroughmiur it's going to be fun being at Megetland with them all and one of the few in a Sale top. I can't wait to get up there.
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20525421_359289291166994_7990203254820233592_n.jpg?oh=4c89418117dfdaf7a222700be172d60c&oe=5A1B464E

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 07:16
Quote:
Crutch
Pope there and no ELR, does anyone actually know for sure what's going on? If he's gone and we're not bringing in another loose head that's a massive step up for Flynn.

More a continuation of where he was for the majority of last year. There's a suggestion that Tarus can cover 1, but if ELR has gone then we do seem a prop shotrt. Still seems odd he's on the current updated squad.....

Olyy (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 08:53
If that's the expected first choice XV for the season then I'm a big fan.
I'd imagine Webber, Aulika and JOC will move into the starting 15 when back to full fitness, too.

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 10:33
Quote:
Olyy
I'd imagine Webber, Aulika and JOC will move into the starting 15 when back to full fitness, too.

Good to have such competition for places. WGJ is an interesting one as he's under the radar but clearly huge and very strong, could be interesting if they have got him fitter and he can adapt quickly to the standard required. Booker is also interesting as Nield is now a well established first team player, so it wouldn't be a jug surprise if he quickly becomes first choice hooker. With JOC the interest is perhaps more around where rather than if he starts

Crutch (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 10:59
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
Crutch

More a continuation of where he was for the majority of last year. There's a suggestion that Tarus can cover 1, but if ELR has gone then we do seem a prop shotrt. Still seems odd he's on the current updated squad.....

True, although in reality that meant Ross playing far too many minutes and it's not sustainable, even if he is fitter than the average prop. I just hope that if this is the case then Flynn is trusted with more minutes and more starts this year as I don't think he'll let us down.

With regards to JoC, I guess we'll have to wait and see, but everything coming out of the club says he's going to play 10 (recent email showing new recruits had positions labelled with him as Fly half).

Headington Shark (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 11:07
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
Olyy

Good to have such competition for places. WGJ is an interesting one as he's under the radar but clearly huge and very strong, could be interesting if they have got him fitter and he can adapt quickly to the standard required. Booker is also interesting as Nield is now a well established first team player, so it wouldn't be a jug surprise if he quickly becomes first choice hooker. With JOC the interest is perhaps more around where rather than if he starts

I think there has been enough from the club and JOC to assume he's here as a 10. Probably only covering other positions if required by injuries/cards.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 11:18
He's a 10. Simple as that. Someone on this board did suggest that Diamond was lying!!

However, things could change in an instant if say Haley was injured and/or Maginty was on fire. Diamond is flexible in his selection approach if form warrants it.

Flynn will have a chance to prove himself in Europe and LV. Not sure he will get many mins early in the league season.

Nield is the interesting one. I have no idea how this season will pan out for him. If he gets the chance ahead of Jones, before Webber is fully fit then there is no reason we he can't overtake Webber.

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 13:16
Agree we need to see more of Flynn if he's seen as the second choice loosehead, more 25 minute spells off the bench, starting most LV and challenge cup games

Also agree JOC is clearly being viewed as a 10, but if he doesn't start the season due to injury then because of his extreme versatility it will surely depend on form and injuries to an extent. I wouldnt be that surprised to see him at 12 quite a bit

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 13:17
Nields work rate is not in question and he contributes so much that often goes unseen. He is also very mobile around the field and probably contributes more at the breakdown than Webber. My two concerns with him at hooker are

(a) In the scrum. Our pack is often lightweight enough against opposition packs and Webber adds more bulk than Nield. With hookers rarely hooking these days, sheer grunt becomes a prime requisite.
(b) At the lineout. We don't really know how consistent his throwing ability is so the jury is still out there. It was interesting that one of the main criticisms of Webber by Bath fans was his 'awful' line out skills. Last season however, he was generally excellent in this area which just goes to show the importance of skilled jumpers, good callers and solid coaching.

Notwithstanding the above however, it is great to have the extra competition for starting positions and Nield does give us a different option at hooker.

Bradwall Boy (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 13:54
Rob Webber

'bach are taking on Kendal in a pre-season friendly. (Priorities)

Flumpty (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 14:27
Quote:
Chris1850
Nields work rate is not in question and he contributes so much that often goes unseen. He is also very mobile around the field and probably contributes more at the breakdown than Webber. My two concerns with him at hooker are
(a) In the scrum. Our pack is often lightweight enough against opposition packs and Webber adds more bulk than Nield. With hookers rarely hooking these days, sheer grunt becomes a prime requisite.

Notwithstanding the above however, it is great to have the extra competition for starting positions and Nield does give us a different option at hooker.

With hookers now having to hook (or one of the props), with the new rule changes, the dynamic may change once again.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 14:30
Quote:
Bradwall Boy
Rob Webber

Sandbach & Kendal should be a fair match up, with both being level 5 clubs

Crutch (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 16:07
Agreed that Cam's technical skills at 2 will be important, but in the brief times he's been there I think the set piece has not suddenly gone to pieces. I can't remember a time when we had 3 real options at hooker.

If JoC does get to play some time at 12, which is quite possible, would we see Sam James and Will move out one position with Charnley dropping to the bench? With Will being captain and preferring centre I'm not sure how likely or beneficial it would be to move him to the wing.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 18:15
O'Connor has played wing for Aus more than any other position I believe. Also, it is McGuigan not Charnley who would drop to the bench.

Based on last season I would say Haley is the most vulnerable if O Connor switches from the 10 role.

Olyy (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 19:23
McGuigan was quality last season, he should be first choice at the start and Charnley should have to earn the shirt.

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 19:45
Quote:
Olyy
McGuigan was quality last season, he should be first choice at the start and Charnley should have to earn the shirt.

I agree it should be for charnley to dislodge him, or him to lose if he plays badly. He went from a solid start to playing really well in the second half of last season. As a full back his ability under the high ball and kicking from hand give us solidly and extra options

Crutch (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 21:52
Agree Hayley would be most vulnerable on form, but clearly the club believes in him and he still has fantastic potential, especially if we are going to run the ball back more this season.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 01:42
The club has outlayed a relatively significant amount on Charnley, Dimes talks him up at every opportunity. I agree entirely that McGuigan should be first choice at start of the season but I think he will have to be near faultless to keep Charnley out. Haley in a similar position. Denny will have more leeway but our increased options should be enough to keep him on his toes too. IF AJ starts the season and performs well, then the presence of O'Connor will put all of the backs under pressure to maintain form. I was picking my Sharks fantasy team yesterday, getting a bit giddy at our options in the backs.

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 07:02
We don't have huge numbers in the backs but the 10/12 in competition for first xv places are probably of a higher standard than any time in recent memory

I know what you mean about charnley but the outlay may not be as much as you think given RL low salary vs union

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 08:05
Edinburgh team for Saturday

15 Glenn Bryce

14 Darcy Graham
13 Chris Dean
12 Phil Burleigh
11 Jason Harries

10 Duncan Weir
9 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1 Darryl Marfo
2 Stuart McInally
3 Simon Berghan
4 Anton Bresler
5 Grant Gilchrist
6 Jamie Ritchie
7 John Hardie
8 Cornell Du Preez

Substitutes: Jason Baggott**, Tom Brown, Lewis Carmichael, Neil Cochrane, Luke Crosbie**, Ross Dunbar**, Jamie Farndale*, Cammy Fenton**, Dougie Fife*, Nathan Fowles, Hugh Fraser, Callum Hunter-Hill, James Johnstone*, Blair Kinghorn, Murray McCallum, Fraser McKenzie, Ally Miller, Junior Rasolea

Good to see Nathan Fowles on the bench. He showed some promise when he was with us I thought.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 13:30
I don't suppose there is any live coverage of the match?

18 August, 2017 13:56
It's not listed on the free cricket site. Maybe Edinburgh have a live stream.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Olyy (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 17:39
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark

It's live on the sale sharks YouTube page, they're just testing the stream now

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 18:05
Quote:
Olyy
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark

It's live on the sale sharks YouTube page, they're just testing the stream now

#salesharks Edinburgh Rugby Sale Sharks [t.co]

18 August, 2017 18:14
Thanks olly - have you got sound?

ChesterShark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 18:24
Fafffffffff!!!

ChesterShark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 18:24
Fafffffffff!!!

Raggs (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 18:38
Just me that's pleased I don't have epilepsy? Though I'm wondering if I'm deaf?

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
The feed is constantly flickering on and off for me. Its unwatchable

Anyone else having the same issue

galliano2001 (IP Logged)
Raggs - its almost unwatchable, is score 6-5?

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 18:39
Quote:
ashtonshark
The feed is constantly flickering on and off for me. Its unwatchable
Anyone else having the same issue

I'm afraid you're not alone!

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 18:41
I'm giving up. I'll get a bloody migraine if I carry on trying to watch that

wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 18:56
It's stopped flickering. Haven't we scored twice?

18 August, 2017 18:56
The flickering has stopped for now

18 August, 2017 18:57
How good is Faf!!!!!!!!

It's settled down

wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
HT 6-10

Raggs (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 18:59
Faf strikes me as a very good rugby player, who happens to have been too short/small to play anywhere else.

I've only seen him box kick once, and whilst his wingers seemed to be in place, everyone else was running back in the line. He's passed it back into the in-goal area for someone else to clear a few times now.

Raggs (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 19:05
Players run out and feed goes bad at the same moment.

Raggs (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 19:06
Although... seems quite good right now, no flickering at all.

18 August, 2017 19:15
13 - 10 Faf yellow

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 19:19
OMG , how badly did we just get mullered in the scrum....twice. With a penalty try as a result. Very worrying

18 August, 2017 19:19
20 - 10 penalty try scrum demolished

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 19:22
I can't remember the last time I saw a scrum so utterly trashed

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 19:28
Sale try but that @#$%& flickering has started again

18 August, 2017 19:29
20 - 17 try a forward con MacG

18 August, 2017 19:44
20 - 24 after three pens in the red zone no card

18 August, 2017 19:57
Full time 20 - 24 lucky lucky at the end.

For iBozz

Full time 20 - 24

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/08/2017 20:07 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 19:57
sale win with edinburgh held up over the try line after time expired

18 August, 2017 20:00
tj yellow - Charnley escaped.

Lineout great - the rest not good. Faf made too many errors whilst looking lively. Scrum demolished twice. It's going to be a long season.

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:02
At the start of last season I went to Edinburgh pre-season game full of hope. After scraping a narrow win against a poor Edinburgh side I left feeling depressed

Deja vu? I sincerely hope not but we looked error strewn, disjointed and underpowered...just like last year

clutch (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:04
Why is going to be a long season? How can you gauge that from a flickering friendly. The scrum was solid most of the game, to be fair. The maul defence was miles better and we scored twice from the maul.

Backplay looked decent enough with wingers getting good opportunities.

Pretty promising from what I can see.

How strong was the Edinburgh team by the way?

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:05
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Lineout great - the rest not good. Faf made too many errors whilst looking lively. Scrum demolished twice. It's going to be a long season.

Good to see the optimism remains firmly in place

18 August, 2017 20:06
Edinburgh nearly won it with a maul which travelled about 20m. Edinburgh very weak as they have an injury crisis.

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:06
Quote:
ashtonshark
At the start of last season I went to Edinburgh pre-season game full of hope. After scraping a narrow win against a poor Edinburgh side I left feeling depressed
Deja vu? I sincerely hope not but we looked error strewn, disjointed and underpowered...just like last year

In fairness the equivalent game was at home last year....

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:13
Quote:
thekeg
Quote:
ashtonshark

In fairness the equivalent game was at home last year....

True. All hope was extinguished after that game last year. Not as worried this time. I do think we have more quality this year that will come through. Plus last week appeared to be very postive

iBozz (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 20:47
Quote:
Full time 20 - 24 lucky lucky at the end.
For iBozz

Full time 20 - 24

Thanks, Mrs T, at least someone thinks the score important to those unable to keep up live!

I was at HR watching SFC 2nd XV run out winners against Littelborough by 31 to 15 (I think). It was a game of three "halfs", two of 30(ish) minutes each and one of 20(ish) minutes.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 22:03
A less jaundiced view.
I expect the balanced actualité was somewhere imbetween, but it is only a pre-season game with a few players not fully integrated. It would appear that on another day we would have won by a couple of tries.

stevene (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 05:10
In terms of the scrum being mullered how did it perform in the first 40? I assume with the usual pre season subs our pack was materially different in the second 40. The one which started probably isn't a million miles away from our starting pack this season.

19 August, 2017 05:57
Edinburgh had the put-in mostly but with Strauss and Beaumont on the scrum held its own.

Strauss went off injured , TJ replacing. Beaumont was replaced by Ostrikov.

In the first half we were pinged at virtually every breakdown.

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 07:18
Quote:
H's Dad...
A less jaundiced view. I expect the balanced actualité was somewhere imbetween, but it is only a pre-season game with a few players not fully integrated. It would appear that on another day we would have won by a couple of tries.
From the terraces the comments were generally positive.

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 08:03
Quote:

Fafs yellow was for this
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHiplz8WsAAvavX.jpg:large

19 August, 2017 08:16
He should pick on someone his own size.

dandan2 (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 08:55
Just watched the game back again, apart from the first five mins of fads yellow card, I thought it was a good preseason performance, yes there were a few knock ons and loose carries but the essence of a good structured game and some heads up rugby were on display, I think if anyone said before hand that we would go go castre and Edinburgh and get wins with multiple tries and concede very few, they would have taken it, yes some work ons and yes fad needs to integrate and get used to how fast the ball is coming down to him from th the linout but all in all I think it's a very promising start, I don't read to much in the two scrums that went backwards, they won the penalty on the next one .

Flumpty (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 10:14
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Fafs yellow was for this
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHiplz8WsAAvavX.jpg:large

Very poor that a international player would do a "tackle" like that. Its the sort of challenge that you sometimes see at U12 level

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 14:50
Quote:
dandan2
Just watched the game back again, apart from the first five mins of fads yellow card, I thought it was a good preseason performance, yes there were a few knock ons and loose carries but the essence of a good structured game and some heads up rugby were on display, I think if anyone said before hand that we would go go castre and Edinburgh and get wins with multiple tries and concede very few, they would have taken it, yes some work ons and yes fad needs to integrate and get used to how fast the ball is coming down to him from th the linout but all in all I think it's a very promising start, I don't read to much in the two scrums that went backwards, they won the penalty on the next one .

The problem with the penalty try was that, with a man down, the back rowers wanted to look up and around to see if Edinburgh had peeled off in attack after the scrum hadn't moved initially, however this meant they lost some of their ability to anchor the scrum, thus causing the scrum to retreat.

19 August, 2017 15:52
Twice?

Crutch (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 17:51
Everyone knows that I love TJ, but I'd prefer to see Pearce come on at 8 if Strauss is not available, and restrict TJ to 6 or 7 depending on the game and opposition. Hopefully a case of giving him game time as he missed Castres.

Assume not a major injury issue as no mention on here?

19 August, 2017 17:59
It seemed to be a shoulder stinger.

thekeg (IP Logged)
19 August, 2017 18:01
Quote:
Crutch
Everyone knows that I love TJ, but I'd prefer to see Pearce come on at 8 if Strauss is not available, and restrict TJ to 6 or 7 depending on the game and opposition. Hopefully a case of giving him game time as he missed Castres.
Assume not a major injury issue as no mention on here?

Fully agree, he's not an 8 and I think for his form/confidence/health it's not a good idea.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 06:29
Certainly with the lock pairing we have, TJ at 8 is not very balanced.

clutch (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 11:46
Surely the best bet is to move Beaumont there and bring Ostrikov on?

Either way Diamond doesn't quite trust Pearce, and I don't see that one changing. Sam Moore is well regarded, so you wouldn't be shocked to see him appear in the next couple of years.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 12:35
Quote:
Flumpty
Quote:
Bradwall Boy
Rob Webber

Sandbach & Kendal should be a fair match up, with both being level 5 clubs

Whoops, that didn't quite go to plan
Wake up Call Sandbach 50 Kendal 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net