rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Toby Flood
emerging shark (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 18:09
Slightly OT, but apparently Flood wants to play for Germany... he has a German grandfather and has applied for a German passport.... what a load of nonsense, this must not happen...

Re: Toby Flood
22 August, 2017 18:12
I always thought his head was square-ish.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Headington Shark (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 20:12
I think it would be great for rugby see the rise of a new European power and Germany are a possible. Rumours of a Pro12/14/15/16/17/18 (delete as appropriate) team, a weather backer in the form of Mr. Capri-Sun, facilities, population, and (potential) domestic audience.

The back-door to playing for other international teams has already been exploited and should probably be closed, but this is an example of a good use of it. It's not like it's Leone Nakarawa trying to play for France instead of Fiji.

Also I though that was an option pre-Newcastle return? Thought he wasn't doing it now.

23 August, 2017 06:13
Would serve no purpose at all. Why would a player born in England and 8 years a senior player make this change purely because his England career is at an end. Why didn't he do it 11 years ago? If he wants to help Germany why does he not go over there and take up a coaching job? he is only doing this so he can go to a last world cup. If it happens it make rugby look like a joke.

23 August, 2017 07:40
It's not great for international competition if players are allowed to swap teams. However it is good for international competition if there are more competitive teams. Germany could one day be one of those teams and Toby playing for them would only help that cause (in many different ways).

So yes it's bad, but it's also good. I just happen to think (in this scenario) the food is better than the bad. Completely understand though that the slope gets more slippery the further you go down.

Also I doubt Germany will make the RWC.

ale shark (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 08:28
If the rules allow it and he demonstrates a long-term commitment to the development of German rugby then that's fine. Get Phil Christophers out of retirement as well.

He's probably applied for a German passport so that he is afforded the benefits of being an EU citizen going forward, something I'd suggest anyone who might be eligible for does.

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 11:36
Quote:
emerging shark
Would serve no purpose at all. Why would a player born in England and 8 years a senior player make this change purely because his England career is at an end. Why didn't he do it 11 years ago? If he wants to help Germany why does he not go over there and take up a coaching job? he is only doing this so he can go to a last world cup. If it happens it make rugby look like a joke.

Agreed. If he wants to help German rugby develop he could always up sticks and join a German club and help that way.

23 August, 2017 11:42
I believe that's very nearly what he did, and would have done if Newcastle hadn't made good on all the promise they'd been showing of late.

Yareet (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 11:45
Quote:
Headington Shark
I just happen to think (in this scenario) the food is better than the bad.

Having spent a year living in Germany, I'd say the food is generally delicious. Mmmm würst & spätzle nomnomnom

Flumpty (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 11:48
Quote:
SimonG19

Agreed. If he wants to help German rugby develop he could always up sticks and join a German club and help that way.

Germany are ranked 22 by the IRB, one place above Canada, which surprised me.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 16:18
Quote:
ale shark
He's probably applied for a German passport so that he is afforded the benefits of being an EU citizen going forward, something I'd suggest anyone who might be eligible for does.

The morning after the referendum I emailed both my kids to remind them that they qualified for an Irish passport through their maternal grandfather!

23 August, 2017 18:16
Not as simple as that ageing, I was born in Ireland, but I understand that my sons, born in Scotland are not eligible for an Irish passport. Anyone else know differently?

ale shark (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 18:59
ES - "If you were born outside the island of Ireland and if either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in the island of Ireland, then you are entitled to Irish citizenship, and entitled to apply for an Irish passport under Irish law, irrespective of where you reside."

[www.dfa.ie]

You'd have to get the Irish passport first if you don't already have one, then they can apply off the back of your citizenship..

My dad was born in NI and has both passports, I believe I can get an Irish one whenever i like. I think it's more complicated for grandchildren but that website is quite handy.

23 August, 2017 20:48
Cheers for that ale...

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 07:17
Quote:
ale shark

You'd have to get the Irish passport first if you don't already have one, then they can apply off the back of your citizenship..

No, you don't need to have a passport, which is a travel document, to be a citizen. If Emerging was born on the island of Ireland they can apply regardless of whether he holds a passport.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
24 August, 2017 07:45
Quote:
ale shark
ES - "If you were born outside the island of Ireland and if either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in the island of Ireland, then you are entitled to Irish citizenship, and entitled to apply for an Irish passport under Irish law, irrespective of where you reside."
[www.dfa.ie]

My dad was born in NI and has both passports, I believe I can get an Irish one whenever i like. I think it's more complicated for grandchildren but that website is quite handy.

Not me, it's my ex-wife's dad who's Irish. I'm told she was prepared to take the action prescribed but the kids both said not on their account.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net