rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

family of 4 for £40 - offer against L Irish
Flumpty (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 14:46
I've just rec'd this promo via email for Friday nights game

"A standing family ticket which includes 2 adults and 2 Under 16s can be bought from just £40 for this game! A seated family ticket in the East Stand is just £50! To purchase a family ticket please call Angela Traynor on 0161-667-7519 or email angela.traynor@salesharks.com"

A tenner per person thats a cracking offer.

My first ever game was as a result of a Dad & Lad for £20 promotion (nowadays, the would be a lot less gender specific !)

Re: family of 4 for £40 - offer against L Irish
ale shark (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 15:38
It's a good offer but I'd be surprised if the take up is much higher than zero, itís just an excuse to email people to raise awareness of the match. Maybe Iím not normal but in my experience families generally plan family evenings out a bit more than 3 days in advance. Would be nice if they did this 2 weeks in advance of a weekend game.

Tigger (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 15:54
Quote:
ale shark
It's a good offer but I'd be surprised if the take up is much higher than zero, itís just an excuse to email people to raise awareness of the match. Maybe Iím not normal but in my experience families generally plan family evenings out a bit more than 3 days in advance. Would be nice if they did this 2 weeks in advance of a weekend game.

Seriously? A positive move by the club and that is your response? And posters wonder why this is called the negativity forum...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 16:12
Problem is that it's a bit late. I don't get e mails from the club anymore, used to. Don't know why not? I know quite a few people who might take this offer up..
Kinda wonder why they don't take advantage of this board to advertise it???

ale shark (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 16:41
I said it was a good offer but putting it out 3 days in advance for an 8pm Friday game is just poor thinking. Was the offer advertised at the Newcastle game?

dickiedudeles (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 16:45
£40 for 2 adults and 2 Under 16s versus £44 for 2 adults. I know it's not a load of money but there's something that really rankles about being asked to fork out more money for the privilege of not bringing a couple of kids.

Tigger (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 16:46
Quote:
dickiedudeles
£40 for 2 adults and 2 Under 16s versus £44 for 2 adults. I know it's not a load of money but there's something that really rankles about being asked to fork out more money for the privilege of not bringing a couple of kids.

Maybe the club are thinking about the future...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 17:06
I think the club are to be commended for coming up with an offer though ale shark has makes a good point that it would likely have more take up if they had promoted it earlier. After all, it was never likely that the game would sell out!

I also take the point that it rankles that it it is cheaper than two adult tickets by £4,so effectively the club are saying we will pay you £2 each to bring the kids. Maybe an offer of £22 per adult with free entry to an accompanied child would have been better, in hindsight.

Whatever the pro's and cons, I am pleased to see the club making an effort though

12 September, 2017 17:43
It's an attempt to increase the attendance figures from the abysmal attendance for the first home game. The problem with this strategy is that it may not be repeated thus disappointing repeaters, and if it is it will undercut ST prices per game.

There is a similar ST for 2 adults + 2 under 16's which is presumably "thinking for the future".

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:05
Clearly the club cannot repeat this offer for every game for the reasons you suggest Mrs T. It is good to see them come up with an incentive however and there is no reason why they cannot also come up with others. Maybe a free pint/drink/pork bap, in conjunction with the concessions for example? Or a free/cut price (last seasons) shirt to the first x number to apply?

12 September, 2017 18:13
Of course - but such relative trivia won't put more bums on seats or feet on the concrete terracing at full prices. It's more likely to please those already committed to attending who are always included in the "attendance" figures.

ale shark (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:25
So long as it doesn't undercut season tickets then it's pretty fair game.

Looking at the website in the family tickets it's not actually a special deal for this game, looks like it's available every game so I take back my comments from before, Iím truly sorry, they've just chosen to e-publicise it now. Last year I got the impression you could only use the deal once a season, i don't know if you can use it more this year.

The price differential figures don't quite make sense for all games and canít be bothered to do the math but I think Dickie's beef only occurs on the CAT C standing scenario.

[salesharks.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 18:27 by ale shark.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:45
Quote:
ale shark

The price differential figures don't quite make sense for all games and canít be bothered to do the math but I think Dickie's beef only occurs on the CAT C standing scenario.

[salesharks.com]

Its good that its on the official website - it would be even better if it told you what a family ticket was e.g 2 adults and 2 juniors under 16

12 September, 2017 18:55
Does it have to be your own children, or can you pick up a few kids on the streets? (to go to match I might add)

ale shark (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 18:57
4 kids, 2 pints and a free flag! Bargain

Rani of the Road (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 20:11
Quote:
Maybe Iím not normal but in my experience families generally plan family evenings out a bit more than 3 days in advance. Would be nice if they did this 2 weeks in advance of a weekend game.

It's is available at EVERY match, my brother bought one last season for his mob twice. It doesn't take Einstein to go to the website, look at the Tickets header and see Family Tickets is the second category down.

Family Tickets

Yareet (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 20:32
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
The problem with this strategy is that it may not be repeated thus disappointing repeaters

You are of course correct which is why no major global business (brand or retailer) has ever run a temporary price promotion to attract new customers.

Flumpty (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 21:16
Quote:
Rani of the Road
Quote:
Maybe Iím not normal but in my experience families generally plan family evenings out a bit more than 3 days in advance. Would be nice if they did this 2 weeks in advance of a weekend game.

It's is available at EVERY match, my brother bought one last season for his mob twice. It doesn't take Einstein to go to the website, look at the Tickets header and see Family Tickets is the second category down.

Family Tickets

It would be even better if the website was clearer as to what it defines as a Family Ticket.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 21:24
If it is cheaper than just two adults going it's worth getting just for the adults and then saying the kids were ill when going through the turnstiles. The adults get it for £2 less each and the 'attendance' is increased by two who aren't actually there, so everyone wins.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 21:30
There are 3 key bits of information this page should be clear on- what is a family season ticket (ie number of adults/ kids and qualifying ages), price and how to purchase.
Unfortunately with something so simple 2 out of 3 ain't bad doesn't really wash.
Of course you could email or phone and ask but that's adding a barrier to your purchase decision and a level of inconvenience. A supporter will do that but someone who hears a match is on and impulsively has a look to see if this may be attractive might not.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
12 September, 2017 22:10
Quote:
DaveAitch
If it is cheaper than just two adults going it's worth getting just for the adults and then saying the kids were ill when going through the turnstiles. The adults get it for £2 less each and the 'attendance' is increased by two who aren't actually there, so everyone wins.

You've noticed eh DaveAitch. Rewind a couple of seasons ago and the club's announcement that kids were no longer going to get in free. At the time it was obvious that free tickets for kids was a brainwave of the incumbent CEO which hadn't enjoyed popularity within the club and been removed as too costly when he departed (which Ceo's I have a cunning plan moment was it?.... there's been so many I forget).

The club could have put their hands up and said we got that wrong and changed it. There would have been comments and so on but mistakes happen. Oh no, Swanny came on here and rounded on supporters who had twigged and bought 4 seats for the price of 2 so they could have a bit more space for their bags etc. These dastardly swines had ruined it for everyone else and you could never have a scheme like this again. Nothing to do with the lost kids revenue or the community department crying fowl that they couldn't meet revenue generating targets if they couldn't charge the juniors they worked with.

Role on a couple of seasons and Swanny must have suffered memory loss as now it has gone beyond being able to have a couple of free seats to give you a bit more room to actually making it cheaper to pretend to have kids. As the only reason given for removing the child free ticket scheme has been made redundant are we going to get them free again? I'll file that one next to whether the price of stadium parking will go back to £5 now we no longer have to fund a TC shuttle.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 05:45
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
ale shark

Seriously? A positive move by the club and that is your response? And posters wonder why this is called the negativity forum...

I think I'd have to agree with Tigger on this one. Clearly the club have sat down after the Falcons game and want to offer something at short notice to entice people.

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 06:52
Sadly, a number of people who populate these boards seem to enjoy criticising the club at every opportunity.

Negatives are generally overstated and positives are played down.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the sun shines out of Swanny's proverbial, but this is a publicly published forum that is one of the top hits on searches for Sale Sharks.

As a consequence, the level of negativity on here cannot do anything but harm the club's efforts to recruit new supporters.

Perhaps, we need to follow the social media platforms in warning readers that 'fake news' abounds and 'facts' need to be checked

Perhaps the old adage that 'if you don't have anything good to say.....' is pertinent?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 07:49
Quote:
HaleShark
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
ale shark

I think I'd have to agree with Tigger on this one. Clearly the club have sat down after the Falcons game and want to offer something at short notice to entice people.

...but that is part of the problem. It is re-active rather than pro-active. (If that is the order it has happened. It it was already in place then a good idea (on many levels) could have been made far more of.) It's just like the West Indies when they put in an extra slip the ball after a catch would have been comfortably taken had the slip been there.

I think there is a confusion as to what constitutes negativity. I would suggest that most people on here want to help the club but anything pointed out that is wrong is pretty much given negativity status. I would suggest, too, that most people who have voted with their feet don't actually read this forum.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 08:08
Grumpy this is a messageboard and if you look at any such forum at other clubs over many different sports up and down the country youíll see similar. This board is almost mundane compared to many football equivalents.

The club has been riddled with negativity for as long as Iíve been following its fortunes. Short term disjointed thinking perpetuated by a regular turnover of staff brought in with unrealistic briefs has been the norm. How many of the numerous ex-employees had anything good to say about their employer after their short stay? The various departments within the club donít work together effectively and there is an internal culture of protecting oneís own backside at all costs mixed in with a perception of cronyism and the internal jealousy that creates. Weíve had some talented individuals at Carrington over the years who have been very successful, but not at Sale; itís a common theme. Neils de Vos restructured UK athletics with a vision that could have been invaluable at Sale, under Mick Hogan Newcastle have turned a corner and Jeremy Butler is now the marketing director for the Australian national Football side. How have these have shown the restructuring, brand building and marketing prowess Sale desperately need but not when they were at the club?

The new owners have a tough job as they inherited a real mess. The negativity on this board is nothing compared to culture embedded within the club. One thing we can agree on Iím sure is that Sale have made numerous mistakes over the years at the AJ Bell. Some were caused by the short term gain attitude and reluctance to invest, others were sheer incompetence. How many times over that period have the club put their hands up and said Ďsorry everyone, we got that wrong but weíve taken it on board and weíll make it rightí? Whenever things go wrong thereís always someone to blame; the stadium management company, the various traffic authorities, the supporters themselves etc, etcÖ itís never the clubís fault because the employees are always busy covering themselves with their superiors and that attitude is embedded all the way through the club and spills over into the way they deal with supporters. Where they should be looking to learn from mistakes they are instead looking at ways to pass the buck so none of the criticism is shown to be their responsibility.

Whilst this attitude is prevalent things wonít get significantly better.

saleawaywithme (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 08:15
Wasps offer some good ticket deals, similar to our European multi ticket package a few years ago which I know got extra fans in. At Wasps you can choose fixtures from 4 pots. Also u10s are free in all but the most expensive seats. I know they are only £5 at AJ Bell but it's still a nice sweetener to encourage families. More useful there though as they play weekend afternoons. I made use of that 2 weeks ago upon visiting the Ricoh with my daughter.

[www.wasps.co.uk]

13 September, 2017 08:15
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Sadly, a number of people who populate these boards seem to enjoy criticising the club at every opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that the sun shines out of Swanny's proverbial, but this is a publicly published forum that is one of the top hits on searches for Sale Sharks.

As a consequence, the level of negativity on here cannot do anything but harm the club's efforts to recruit new supporters.

Perhaps, we need to follow the social media platforms in warning readers that 'fake news' abounds and 'facts' need to be checked

Perhaps the old adage that 'if you don't have anything good to say.....' is pertinent?

That's just nonsense.

The franchise has chosen to promote the existing Family ticket for this game both on the Iffy and on social media.Their choice. It is an obvious effort to increase the attendance figure after the embarrassment of the Newcastle defeat. There is nothing wrong with PR initiatives to increase ticket sales unless they upset regular customers ie ST holders. The franchise upset some ST holders last season with ill-chosen words and actions. One of these was Bull Shark.

What attracts new customers or repels existing loyal customers is actions and words by the franchise and its employees - not any views posted on here.

ale shark (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 08:56
I make no apologies for being cynical about the clubís motives in promoting an offer at short notice knowing that the take up will be minimal, they want to be seen as being pro-active without having to deliver anything extra, itís the best kind of marketing when it works.

Time and time again the club have tried initiatives that are binned off after 2 or 3 games, if that gives rise to cynicism and disillusionment amongst the absent thousands why would the few ďtrue fansĒ be disappointed that the tone surrounding this forum is overtly negative?

Iíve apologised for not realising that it was an existing offer but as others have pointed out the clubís website doesnít even say what you get for the offer.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 09:42
Mrs T - why do you only refer to Sale Sharks as "the franchise"?

It's not really a franchise is it?

It seems mainly to antagonise?

13 September, 2017 09:48
Quote:
shaftesbury shark
Mrs T - why do you only refer to Sale Sharks as "the franchise"?
It's not really a franchise is it?

It seems mainly to antagonise?

It's the term Dimes uses - and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.

Technically it is a franchise to enable the business (Manchester Sale Rugby Club Limited - Company number 03333690) to use the name "Sale Sharks". Compare private businesses enfranchised to use the name/brand "McDonalds" when trading.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:07
Thanks for the answer Mrs T.

OK, fair enough, if that is your only reason.

Not sure Dimes uses the term as exclusively as you seem to, certainly I hadn't noticed that but take your word for it.

And I'm not sure they are technically a franchise although I don't think it is clear either way, especially given Wasps' recent history.

I must admit that I do find it antagonistic but perhaps it is just me.

As you were.

LPCWOOKIE (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:27
Quote:
ale shark
The email may only have gone out yesterday, but the offer was already available on the ticketing page of the Offy. I took advantage of it last Thursday.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

13 September, 2017 16:08
The email may only have gone out yesterday, but the offer was already available on the ticketing page of the Offy. I took advantage of it last Thursday
I wonder why it wasn't plastered all over the ground on Friday last? did anyone else see it advertised? Could the PA guy not have announced it at half time?
I think we hold the record for most CEOs since the start of professionalism. Shall we have a competition? name them all...

dickiedudeles (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 16:26
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
dickiedudeles

Maybe the club are thinking about the future...

I'd suggest perhaps they want to think a bit harder. I had no problem when it was free tickets to kids a few seasons back but I resent being asked to pay more for less.

Quote:
DaveAitch

I asked about this when I ordered my season tickets, thinking I could avoid taking up a couple of tickets that could otherwise be sold and was told they'd be checking to make sure nobody "abused" the family ticket, consequences of said abuse were unclear.

13 September, 2017 22:27
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
What attracts new customers or repels existing loyal customers is actions and words by the franchise and its employees - not any views posted on here.

And you describe my comments as nonsense - this is total twaddle

I personally would like to see (and would like to think that any supporters would like to see) a winning team in front of a full stadium with great atmosphere.

It isn't rocket science to work out that if people who supposedly support Sale are regularly publicly talking down the club and exaggerating problems in attending matches, is unlikely to help the club to achieve this objective.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 05:24
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark

Disagree entirely.

I doubt anyone who regularly posts here enjoy's pointing out time and time again the issues that never get resolved. Add to that I don't think the problems are overstated, they are a fair reflection and as these issues never get sorted fans quite rightly get annoyed. Your adage is misplaced on this occasion, we're 5 years in at the A.J.Bell and no further on.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 05:43
I agree with your main point Hale, but I do think that the traffic issue specifically is often overstated. I have very little personal experience (1 game), but I do know people who have a great deal more experience, both as home and away fans for both sports at AJB. Whilst one road in one road out is undoubtedly a problem for large volumes of traffic, regular attendances currently pose little problem at all. The lack of public transport, however, in my opinion means the ground should never have been allowed to be built in the first place, but that's a whole other argument.

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

HaleShark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 06:29
Quote:
PoyntonShark
I agree with your main point Hale, but I do think that the traffic issue specifically is often overstated. I have very little personal experience (1 game), but I do know people who have a great deal more experience, both as home and away fans for both sports at AJB. Whilst one road in one road out is undoubtedly a problem for large volumes of traffic, regular attendances currently pose little problem at all. The lack of public transport, however, in my opinion means the ground should never have been allowed to be built in the first place, but that's a whole other argument.

But are they overstated Poynters??, someone recently on here said they left it 1/2 hour before attempting to drive away from the ground last Friday and it STILL took them 1/2 to turn onto the A57. And that's with a crowd of circa 3K which is a quarter of the stadium's capacity. I agree, the stadium should have never been built without proper access, a poorly thought through design.

15 September, 2017 08:12
Quote:
HaleShark
Quote:
PoyntonShark

But are they overstated Poynters??, someone recently on here said they left it 1/2 hour before attempting to drive away from the ground last Friday and it STILL took them 1/2 to turn onto the A57. And that's with a crowd of circa 3K which is a quarter of the stadium's capacity. I agree, the stadium should have never been built without proper access, a poorly thought through design.

Strange because we went back to the car (west car park) 20 mins after the whistle and were on the A57 within 15 minutes....

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 08:20
[quote Grumpy Old Shark][quote HaleShark][quote PoyntonShark]I agree with your main point Hale, but I do think that the traffic issue specifically is often overstated. I have very little personal experience (1 game), but I do know people who have a great deal more experience, both as home and away fans for both sports at AJB. Whilst one road in one road out is undoubtedly a problem for large volumes of traffic, regular attendances currently pose little problem at all. The lack of public transport, however, in my opinion means the ground should never have been allowed to be built in the first place, but that's a whole other argument.[/quote]

But are they overstated Poynters??, someone recently on here said they left it 1/2 hour before attempting to drive away from the ground last Friday and it STILL took them 1/2 to turn onto the A57. And that's with a crowd of circa 3K which is a quarter of the stadium's capacity. I agree, the stadium should have never been built without proper access, a poorly thought

Strange because we went back to the car (west car park) 20 mins after the whistle and were on the A57 within 15 minutes....[/quote]

Where were you parked in the West car park though? If you are parked near the entrance at the marquee end, you can usually 'force' your way into the queue as it is leaving and then be on the access road almost immediately. If you park at the other end, by the gym parking, you can queue for ages to get to the access road unless you leave very promptly at/before the final whistle.

15 September, 2017 09:56
At the gym end...

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:57
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
At the gym end...

You did very well to get out that quickly then. Can wecar share with you tonight!!!

15 September, 2017 12:47
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
At the gym end...

You did very well to get out that quickly then. Can wecar share with you tonight!!!

Sorry - already full - but I'll bear it mind in the future....

16 September, 2017 10:44
Quote:
Where were you parked in the West car park though? If you are parked near the entrance at the marquee end, you can usually 'force' your way into the queue as it is leaving and then be on the access road almost immediately. If you park at the other end, by the gym parking, you can queue for ages to get to the access road unless you leave very promptly at/before the final whistle.

So because of the impatience and unthinkingly selfish behaviour of the 'marquee end' supporters 'forcing' their way into traffic those at the other end of the car park feel the knock-on effect.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 11:03

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2017 11:05 by Chris1850.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 11:04
Quote:
Rani of the Road
Quote:

So because of the impatience and unthinkingly selfish behaviour of the 'marquee end' supporters 'forcing' their way into traffic those at the other end of the car park feel the knock-on effect.

My comment wasnt meant to be construed like that at all.

16 September, 2017 14:22
Chris, I was basically saying that what you describe happening makes leaving a much longer process for those at the far end of the car park. If people jump a queue then those behind them in the queue have to wait longer. Not particularly fair but if people do it then what can you do?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net