rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Team Sup
Flumpty (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 10:57
1 Harrison,
2 Jones,
3 Tarus,
4 Evans,
5 Beaumont,
6 Ross (cc), (cc ?)
7 B.Curry,
8 Strauss,
9 De Klerk,
10 MacGinty,
11 Charnley,
12 Jennings,
13 James,
14 Solomona,
15 Addison (C)

Replacements: Webber, Flynn, Aulika, Ostrikov, T.Curry, Ioane, Cliff, Haley

From Th'Offy

& for London Irish

15 Tommy Bell, 14 Alex Lewington, 13 Aseli Tikoirotuma, 12 Luke McLean, 11 Topsy Ojo, 10 James Marshall, 9 Brendan McKibbin, 1 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, 2 Dave Porecki, 3 Ben Franks (c), 4 Franco van der Merwe, 5 Sebastian De Chaves, 6 Mike Coman, 7 Blair Cowan, 8 Ofisa Treviranus

Replacements: 16 David Paice, 17 Harry Elrington, 18 Petrus Du Plessis, 19 Josh McNally, 20 Conor Gilsenan, 21 Scott Steele, 22 Greig Tonks 23 Napolioni Nalaga

and't Green th'offy

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2017 11:06 by Flumpty.

Re: Team Sup
Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:04
Addison 15??????

LPCWOOKIE (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:14
No shocks up front but an interesting selection for the outside backs, good to see Josh get a run, surprised to see Byron dropped as he'd looked very lively and surely cant spill the ball that often again. Addison at 15 though?

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

jaytom (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:19
Nield rightly dropped IMO. Lineout was a key error last week. Good to see Evans back too. Shame O'Connor isn't fit yet and I'm not sure why Byron got dropped, but ok, let Charnley have a shot. Got to echo the raised eyebrows about putting Addison at 15 though!!!

Crutch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:23
Haley on bench so dropped. We assumed McGuigan would be full back cover, perhaps he is injured? Very random to move Will there although wasn't he originally a 15? I actually think he could be very good there, but it's a bizarre change and means we've got a 3rd centre combo in 3 games along with a 3rd starting hooker.

Must be too soon for JoC and I guess also for Webber and Aulika to start. Bryn is back at least, would hope the set piece is ok for tomorrow so then it's back to issues of creativity.

clutch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:28
I hope it doesn't rain!!

In a lot of ways it would suit his game and help his England ambitions. He started as 15 for the Jets, where I first noticed him. Pretty sure he started playing for us at 15, before his baptism of fire in the classic Addison/Higgins centre partnership!

Bryon must be injured. Glad to see Charnley given a go. He needs to step up sooner rather than later.

James to outside centre feels like a positive, as that is his natural position for Sale.

Why does Ross have (cc) after his name?

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:33
Quote:
clutch
I hope it doesn't rain!!
In a lot of ways it would suit his game and help his England ambitions. He started as 15 for the Jets, where I first noticed him. Pretty sure he started playing for us at 15, before his baptism of fire in the classic Addison/Higgins centre partnership!

Bryon must be injured. Glad to see Charnley given a go. He needs to step up sooner rather than later.

James to outside centre feels like a positive, as that is his natural position for Sale.

Why does Ross have (cc) after his name?

Co captain perhaps, so ref can talk to him about refereeing decisions in the pack.

45jumper (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:38
Always thought Addison would make a great 15, excited to see how he gets on! Good for his international ambitions too, with no obvious successor to Brown lined up...
Hope the weather holds up and Charnley gets some good ball. Come on Sale! thumbs down

Crutch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 11:45
If it's a temporary move to 15 then it seems a bit pointless rather than Haley feeling like he could genuinely lose his starting position to Byron.

If it's a permanent move then what does it mean for Hayley's future at the club? I can't believe it's the latter, otherwise we'd have seen it in the preseason and early games.

Therefore can only surmise that Dimes wanted to drop Hayley and Byron is injured, otherwise I don't see the logic.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 12:08
v interesting selection, and mostly for the better I think.

Given last weeks troubles, having Bryn back is massive and Jones and Webber are the more solid options while we try to get our lineout drills back on track.

I am optimistic that James at 13 will help maginty find wider options without sacrificing Jennings carrying capacity or Addison's incisiveness. Addison has all the tools to be a great 15 although this is clearly a risky selection and not a long and carefully planned one. If he hits the line as he has been he'll remain a big attacking threat.

Still dont like the bench split. It provides no gamechanging ability if we fall behind.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 12:36
my working assumption would be that McGuigan has a knock. He'd be a very unfortunate fall guy for imbalances inside of him.

For what its worth, I think Haley needs to earn his spot back with a few penetrative error free performances off the bench. He can have few complaints at being replaced for now by either McGuigan or Addison.

14 September, 2017 12:59
Imho the absence of Evans plus a lack of rugby brain in Beaumont were the main lineout problems last week; arguably you could say selecting Neild for his first start at 2 was mistaken witout Evans running the lineout. If he loses confidence and disappears then we've lost a reliable flanker/hooker.

Agreed McGuigan must have an injury - otherwise the selection of Addison at 15 is very strange.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Crutch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:11
Quote:
MartWhit
my working assumption would be that McGuigan has a knock. He'd be a very unfortunate fall guy for imbalances inside of him.
For what its worth, I think Haley needs to earn his spot back with a few penetrative error free performances off the bench. He can have few complaints at being replaced for now by either McGuigan or Addison.

I agree with that as per my prediction this morning on the other thread.

Olyy (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:12
Echoing the above in hoping Byron is either rested or injured rather than dropped.
Interesting line up, though. First look at Charnley after his first Union pre season, Will at 15 for the first time in an age

2007dwain (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:19
Be great to see Addison run it back asking as he doesn't slip over all the time like normal

HaleShark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 13:58
No surprises Neild is not featuring, a lot of pressure on M.J. and the locks to deliver a solid lineout.

Not so sure B.M. is injured and suspected J.C. might play when he was replaced early on in the 2nd half in the Jets game on Monday night.

Addison at 15 is a surprise, M.H. didn't have a great game last week, but then not many did.

Pleased to see Tarus retaining his place, he did OK last week and B.E. back is a welcome sight.

Big night for A.J. he needs a big game because O'Connor reportedly fit for next week.

StudentShark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 14:39
Afternoon all. Reasonable time visitor to the board, first time poster.

Had enough of the speculation so went to the old Twitter and asked McGuigan if he's got a knock. Got the following reply

"No knock pal, unfortunately rotation for me this week. Thanks tho 🤙🏼"

Nice that we can rotate, but I personally wouldn't have dropped the axe on him

Flumpty (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 15:04
my 2p worth from watching the first half of last weeks game from the North Stand.
Byron didn't cover himself in glory when he was in posession.

Hopefully Will will get the ball at pace, in space and outside the wingers, where his phobia of passing the ball won't be exposed as much !

Surprised at Strauss and Ross both getting the nod - in two games, depsite working damned hard, they don't seem to make the hard yards.

Finally, J Charnley. My dearest wish is that he scores a hat trick of tries, sets up 3 more and tackles like Richie McCaw, thwarting LI attack after LI attack with crushing efficiency...... & then at the end of the game, tracking me down and telling me to shove my previous opinions of him up my chuffer.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 15:48
If he loses confidence and disappears then we've lost a reliable flanker/hooker. Neild.
If that happens because he has been dropped, then he should not be there in the first case...

14 September, 2017 15:55
Not because he was dropped , because he was exposed badly as a lineout thrower.

Dis mus be da place

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 16:09
Tarus needs the exposure but I thought he was fallible in the scrum last week - certainly after the first couple of scrums. He was collapsing into the tunnel and I think he did well not to get penalised. His hips appeared too high, and while OK in the loose, he wasn't fulfilling his basic chore in the scrum.

IIRC Vadim had similar troubles. Hopefully game time and some tutelage will improve him. We certainly need him because unfortunately WGJ appeared out of his depth. Certainly before the penalty try in the scrums Dimes was desperately trying to get him off the pitchand send Tarus back on.

BTW what did Tarus have on his head in the second half. It looked like a full box of pampers?!? Did the opposition scare him that much?

14 September, 2017 16:14
He had a reflink in Romanian in his right ear and the pampers tried to keep it in place.

Dis mus be da place

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 16:15
Before his injury in the 6N Strauss made a lot of hard yards - he seemed to have the ability to bounce off tacklers. He didn't do it last week, but I don't recall him getting front foot ball at any time - he was at best static, and often going backwards, and certainly the Falcons were all over our backrow like a rash.

I think we have to give him time. Ross was not prominent as a carrier but appeared very abrasive, and I thought he and Curry (whichever one started!) had a nice balance between them - there were a couple of gang-tackles by the two of them. I thought a promising start. I was concerned there wasn't a back row jumper between the three of them, but impossible to tell from last week's debacle at the lineout.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 16:24
Quote:
StudentShark
Afternoon all. Reasonable time visitor to the board, first time poster.
Had enough of the speculation so went to the old Twitter and asked McGuigan if he's got a knock. Got the following reply

"No knock pal, unfortunately rotation for me this week. Thanks tho 🤙🏼"

Nice that we can rotate, but I personally wouldn't have dropped the axe on him

Welcome to the board StudentShark. B.M. is a favourite of mine but great to see J.C. get some game time, like Flumpty I'm desperate for him to do well this season.

14 September, 2017 16:41
Fwiw I think it's cockeyed. It's essential we win home games - and after that poor performance v the Budgies it's essential we beat LI with a bp.

Bu55er rotation - pick the best XXIII and rest them for the difficult away games. The lbp v Wasps was ok but not at the expense of the 3 or 4 lost v the Budgies.

Dis mus be da place

Crutch (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 17:11
Agreed. Especially when it means moving Will out of position and changing the centre combo again.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 17:16
Not because he was dropped , because he was exposed badly as a lineout thrower.
MrsT sometimes you baffle me.. perhaps you need to explain a bit more. Your post clearly indicated that perhaps he (neild) might lose confidence and disappear as a hooker/flanker as a result of his poor performance throwing in and then being dropped...
I seem to recall when he was playing hooker previously his lineout throwing was reasonable.
Anyway my point was if he disappears because of this etc...

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 17:24
Quote:
emerging shark
Not because he was dropped , because he was exposed badly as a lineout thrower. MrsT sometimes you baffle me.. perhaps you need to explain a bit more. Your post clearly indicated that perhaps he (neild) might lose confidence and disappear as a hooker/flanker as a result of his poor performance throwing in and then being dropped...
I seem to recall when he was playing hooker previously his lineout throwing was reasonable.

I'm not convinced that all of the line out problems were down to the throwing but as ever the hooker gets it in the neck....

14 September, 2017 17:30
Neild's performance was ridiculed by the tv commentators Healey & Kay - both ex Cheetahs - and Dimes didn't support Neild at all in his comments during the first half. Fearns tweeted that Dimes was out of order in refusing to support Nield.

One lineout in the 2nd half (Jones) that went begging was analysed and was due to late lifting. Neild may have been at fault but he wasn't helped on his first AP start as hooker by the loss of Evans, the lineout calls made by Beaumont, and the lack of Plan B,C,D etc. They still called Plan A until Ross threw in.

Dis mus be da place

Tigger (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 17:42
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Quote:
emerging shark
Not because he was dropped , because he was exposed badly as a lineout thrower. MrsT sometimes you baffle me.. perhaps you need to explain a bit more. Your post clearly indicated that perhaps he (neild) might lose confidence and disappear as a hooker/flanker as a result of his poor performance throwing in and then being dropped...

I'm not convinced that all of the line out problems were down to the throwing but as ever the hooker gets it in the neck....

100% agree...its always easy to blame the hooker for a bad lineout...

But...keep them simple...and surely we should have taken the simple option when it was going wrong...but we didn't...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

james46 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 16:16
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Neild's performance was ridiculed by the tv commentators Healey & Kay - both ex Cheetahs - and Dimes didn't support Neild at all in his comments during the first half. Fearns tweeted that Dimes was out of order in refusing to support Nield.
One lineout in the 2nd half (Jones) that went begging was analysed and was due to late lifting. Neild may have been at fault but he wasn't helped on his first AP start as hooker by the loss of Evans, the lineout calls made by Beaumont, and the lack of Plan B,C,D etc. They still called Plan A until Ross threw in.

You can only support the supportable. Neild will come back, but he is not a hooker, he's a back-row player and he looked comfortable at 6. He does not look confident or comfortable at 2.

Glad to see James back, but he needs to step up his form as it has tailed off recently.

Crutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 17:15
Neild has done more than adequately in the set piece when playing hooker in the past. I've no doubt he can play there to Prem standard but he had a bad night, not helped by the lifters, catchers or calls, but still right to bring him off early.

Sam James is class but he's never looked as good since DC left. I'd be very interested to compare his clean break stats from last year to the one before. Most people still do not appreciate the extent of the difference a creative 10 can make to the rest of the backline.

Hopefully O'Connor can slot in and have that kind of impact too.

clutch (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 17:20
Partly a case of second season itus as well. Cipriani is massively missed. He's worth 3 or 4 places in the league. Hopefully O Connor can provide the same magic.

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 17:21
You can't right Nield off as a hooker after half a match there, that's just ridiculous....he has chosen to make the switch having played there in the past, so he must have confidence in his ability to do it. Granted last week will have set him back a bit. Think we will next see him in LV/Europe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net