rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Predict the Attendance v Gloucester, Fri 29 Sep, 2000
M5 Shark (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 08:02
Closest to the pin wins the applause from this esteemed message board.
For info, previous games:
V Newcastle (12-13), Fri 08 Sep, 1945, 4510
V London Irish (36-7), Fri 15 Sep, 2000, 4572

My guess is 5555

Edited to remove typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/09/2017 16:16 by M5 Shark.

Re: Predict the Attendance v Gloucester, Fri 29 Sep, 2000
25 September, 2017 08:23
Official figure:- 5583 (=1861*3)
Actual paid-up bums on seats - 4500

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

iBozz (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 08:28
Quote:
M5 Shark
Closet ...

I didn't know that you were in the closet! grinning smiley

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Ken I L Worth (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 09:03
4751...from a Gloucester fan.

Looking to make my first trip up to the NW since the good old days of Heywood Rd. which was always my favourite and friendliest club ground in the the league.

I hear nightmare stories about exit from the car park because of the motorway junction.....but at 10/11 at night is it still bad.

Any tips? , including any decent boozers nearby more than welcome(I assume a tent and picnic is standard)

clutch (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 11:37
Don't park in the car park, and the get away will be fine. There are no decent boozers!

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 16:14
Quote:
iBozz
Quote:
M5 Shark
Closet ...

Surely this thread can't go off topic

HaleShark (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 21:26
Any thread can go off topic on this board ! smiling smiley

Ken I L Worth - There's the Barley Farm, not a classic pub but it's the only one we've got. Cost of beer at the ground is expensive and poor quality. The Real Ale pumps in the marquee are okay and to be fair the marquee's experience overall is very good.
Parking, I'd park at the Barton Aerodrome if I were you and walk up.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 08:40
Quote:
Ken I L Worth

I hear nightmare stories about exit from the car park because of the motorway junction.....but at 10/11 at night is it still bad.

Any tips? , including any decent boozers nearby more than welcome(I assume a tent and picnic is standard)

Not knowing arrangements for Fri yet, but if last game was anything to go by, pre-match there is the marquee just outside the ground for a more lively band/ real ale drink and a much quieter fans bar underneath the main West Stand (the first you come to) which can only be accessed from outside the stadium. The only other beer offering within reasonable distance of the ground is the Barley Farm, a bog standard carvery joint.
Once you enter the stadium your only drinking options are the bland concourses (which do have TVs showing rugby for entertainment). Whilst awaiting the answer to Swanny's promised discussions about ale which might change things, I would say that if arrangements remain the same, unless you are sat in the East Stand you can not buy ale in the ground. You can though purchase a pint of ale in the marquee and bring it with you into the ground which is what I do.Cans of Deuchers IPA are on sale in the ground concourses as the nearest thing to ale for those not sat in the East Stand. In my experience the price of food/drinks in the ground is on par with other grounds, the quality and choice is below par. There are food vans outside the ground (by the marquee and fans bar) and they offer a better choice than the food in the ground so if you are hungry either go for a full roast in the pub up the road or eat before you go through the turnstiles.

Car parking at the ground is 7 with a 30 minute lock down after the game and only one road out. In practice that means you are looking at roughly 1 hour after the final whistle before you will be back on the motorway. The marquee is available outside the ground after the match as an alternative to sitting waiting in your car. Barton Aerodrome is a 10 minute walk from the ground and costs 5 for safe parking. You can leave straight away so if you are mobile it is a quicker & cheaper option. Having had our car keyed twice in the past parking on the streets near the motorway roundabout I wouldn't recommend this option and the streets nearest to the ground are residents only parking.

There is a lot wrong with our ground and location but it is a good stadium for watching rugby and you will be made to feel very welcome. If you wish to sit both options are side on; the West Stand is more expensive but provides a better view as it has steeper seating and the majority of our fans sit there. The East stand is cheaper, quieter but is quite a shallow gradient so it can be hard to see what is going on at the other end of the pitch. Neither stand has any pillars or other obstructions.
If you wish to stand the majority of our supporters go in the South Stand although by Gloucesterstandards I wouldn't call it particularly busy and you would have lots of room. Away fans and a few Sale stragglers tend to go in the opposite North Stand but depending on how many supporters you bring up it can be one man and his dog in there.

iBozz (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 12:16
Quote:
M5 Shark
Quote:
iBozz
Quote:
M5 Shark
Closet ...

Surely this thread can't go off topic

I am a tad more tolerant of topics drifting hither and thither than perhaps are my fellow Moderators. I have yet to encounter any discussion in the "real world" which stays resolutely on topic come hell or high water except in crisis management!

I would not dream of intervening except in cases of potential libel, personal attacks or deliberate and gratuitous offence.

That doesn't make me either right or wrong, merely that that is my personal stance.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

ale shark (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 13:15

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 14:27
I'll have a pint of whatever that ale is.

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 14:50
Quote:
ale shark

Almost as bad as going off topic!!!!!!

maccshark (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 09:47
That made me laugh ale shark, thank you.

Penalty Try (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 12:40

Paddyshark (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 13:23

Prop at Work (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 13:57

jamestaylorreturns (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 14:29

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 14:37
Sort of on topic....

Have the travel arrangements for Friday been announced yet?

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 15:35
Quote:
Grumpy Old Shark
Sort of on topic....
Have the travel arrangements for Friday been announced yet?

Travel Plan

There was also a news item on the front page of the official site on Monday

madders (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 22:14
5123 according to the offy match report

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 22:19
Congrats to jamestaylorreturns who was closest with 5151

v Newcastle (12-13), Fri 08 Sep, 1945, 4510
v London Irish (36-7), Fri 15 Sep, 2000, 4572
v Gloucester (57-10), Fri 29 Sep, 2000, 5123

Crutch (IP Logged)
29 September, 2017 22:42
Really? I thought it looked like there were fewer than the first 2 games...

ale shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 05:46
Quote:
Crutch
Really? I thought it looked like there were fewer than the first 2 games...

More in the North stand than normal. I was worried 15mins before KO but the ground looked fuller than the previous 2 games.

6,000 by Christmas?

HaleShark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 07:06
I'm pleased to see we've got past the 5K marker, the first two games had attendances akin to the Heywood Road days.

Initially I thought there were fewer then the L.I. game but I think there were a lot of late comers as it looked like the traffic was backing up on the M60 bridge.

I think if we can get to around the 6K marker by the end of the season that will be progress and something to build on.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 08:44
The traffic was much worse than for either of the preceding two fixtures - backed up a long way on the M60 and for all 3 lanes. I suspect this is due to the state of progress with the dual carriageway, meaning that Barton traffic couldn't separate itself and had to re-merge back into the main line, before then all traffic to both the stadium and Barton having to g through a set of lights. Add to that the frustration of the M60 slip road still being pinched so it is single file at the start and with the knock-on effect of the queues up ahead, that forced traffic to stack up all the way back.

The overall result was what I feared would be the type of queue ahead of the Falcons game. I'd left a bit later than planned as the experience of the first two games gave me a false sense of security!

Once inside the ground though - the atmosphere was pretty electric for much of the game. I'd say it felt cathartic at seeing the talent and skill unleashed after the staccato start to the season.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 10:04
My guess at the game was that the (reported) attendance would be above the 5,000 mark. I would like to comment on the travel, but somewhere out there is a correct thread for that. Oh, stuff it, I can't find it.

Leaving home I had three others to pick up on the way. Two are bona fide 'blue badge' holders so we had booked parking in the stadium. We ame down the M53 onto the m56, up the M6 and turned off after the viaduct onto the A57. It is normally a reasonable run through on that road, and much more pleasant than doing the whole journey on the motorways. Traffic on the M6 was (considerably) heavier than elsewhere but still moving at a not unreasonable pace. I have to say I anticipated a slower entry to the stadium parking than was actually the case. Overall the stewards did the job efficiently in a pleasant manner. Getting away was a little more awkward, but mainly just because of the lock-down. Once we started moving we moved fairly quickly. There seemed to be no 'me first' drivers, which is always a bonus. Once we got back on the A57 it was an easy run home. That said, it was just after 11:20 that I actually reached the house.

One moan about the stadium: the West stand entry is all either to the left or the right. It would be good if the stadium had obvious indication on the front wall how to take the shortest route to one's designated turnstiles. There is a map on the back of the ticket but, even under good light, it is too small to be readable without a magnifying glass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net