rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

'Ban tackling in school rugby' for safety, experts demand
Flumpty (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 08:08
'Ban tackling in school rugby' for safety, experts demand

The above article is getting prominent display on bbc news, bbc "red button" & BBC sport.

Once you get past the headline, you realise that its another publicity campaign, by Prof Allyson Pollock.

10/10 for her self publicising her self interest campaign, but (IMO) very poor of the BBC to give her OPINIONS such prominence.

Re: 'Ban tackling in school rugby' for safety, experts demand
iBozz (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 09:07
I heard her pontificating on it on the radio last night - she is still prattling on with the same tired agenda.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

26 September, 2017 09:25
Quote:
iBozz
I heard her pontificating on it on the radio last night - she is still prattling on with the same tired agenda.

That's unusual for a woman. (Sm159)

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

isitme (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 12:04
She has a book out to publicise, but she comes out with the same rubbish every year.

Maybe we should ban every sport, riding a bike, climbing a tree etc incase someone heaven forbid gets hurt?

Crutch (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 13:11
Surely cars should be the first thing to go!! Latest stats from 2016 show almost 5 people die each day on UK roads with more that 187000 injuries in total which is more than 500 a day!......

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 15:09
It's much easier to measure the damage done by an activity than it is to measure what's lost if that activity doesn't take place.

Crutch's analogy with cars illustrates that very well, we can ban them to save 5 lives a day, but, apart from the inconvenience we'd all suffer, how many lives would be lost due to the devastating impact that would have on the economy? Let's not mince our words, we're saying 5 lives a day is the lesser of two evils.

I don't doubt we'd have fewer long and short-term injuries directly attributable to school sports if they were all to be made non-contact. The detrimental effect of kids not learning the lessons that sports teach would be far less quantifiable.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 15:59
I wrote to professor Pollock last year when her book first came out, putting forward a series of views on this subject and asking if she would debate the issue but she chose to ignore it. I also e mailed one of the people who supported her, a lecturer at Manchester University offering to meet up to discuss the issue.. She did get back to me but declined, and just about admitted that she had been railroaded into it and now wanted to distance herself.

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 09:16
Quote:
emerging shark
I wrote to professor Pollock last year when her book first came out, putting forward a series of views on this subject and asking if she would debate the issue but she chose to ignore it. I also e mailed one of the people who supported her, a lecturer at Manchester University offering to meet up to discuss the issue.. She did get back to me but declined, and just about admitted that she had been railroaded into it and now wanted to distance herself.
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=267
Science should be about objective observation or facts, and drawing rational conclusions from these.
Pollock is about (understandable) subjective bias, and selecting which facts to back-up her pre-defined conclusions.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anythinghttp://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net