rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: v Glaws
FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 08:57
8 tries, and every one of them by a back! Is that any sort of a record?

30 September, 2017 09:03
The two by Faf & O'Connor were really forwards' tries but they showed the lumps how to score by being nippy and with good low body position. Note that Evans's tries tend to be winger's tries near the touchline.

We also butchered a couple by the usual frenetic getting-in-each-other's way and firing passses at team mates a few cm. away.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 09:04
I think that Dimes has brought in players who came here having bought into the top 4 within x years plan and they have been given their head to motivate and organise their colleagues...

Anyone who wasn't there last night missed a corker of a match.

I know that Glos were below par but I feel that we are moving in the right direction and I think that we'll be hard to beat at home.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 09:49
No one will fancy playing against a team that can do that to that another side.

I'm still absolutely buzzing. I got home last night and was so full of adrenaline I felt I could have done parkrun there and then and set a personal best!

Excellent defence in the first half with a ruthlessly clinical edge to score when the opportunity presented itself. Every time we got the ball and went forward we looked like we might score. Strauss' best game yet. Bryn marshalling a superb defensive lineout. Sam James making tackles all around the park. Byron "The Horse" McGuigan.

Absolutely brilliant.

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 09:55
What is becoming increasingly obvious is how we are focusing much less on dominating territory and possession and much more on playing what we see in front of us. There's a clear willingness to soak up pressure and hit on the break, attacking from anywhere. To make that work long term we have to have a lot of confidence in our defence, in some ways the work we put in during the 20-40 minute period was the most impresssive part of the performance. That forced Gloucester to take more risks and allowed us to capitalise on loose passes. The maul defence has been a weakness for a couple of years and that was spot on.

Let's hope we can take these positives away next week, a win at Quins would put us in a very good place leading into a period of mainly Euro and LV games

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 10:29
Every-so-often everything seems to click as regards winning the lineout and scoring tries. It helps when the opposition seem to want to give a helping hand in that regard with half the tries coming from careless work by Gloucester in attack. As ever, in sport, it's good to have the occasional game with tries being run in from all over the place (especially when it is your own side that is doing it). However, as thekeg says, it was the defence which was really the more impressive part of the performance.

Returning to the lineout, Evans had one of those games, quite the antithesis of the game when Newcastle ruled. Everything about last night was fairly positive, now for the negative. My memory tells me that Evans wasn't plying in that Newcastle game so I do what I normally do to check: I go to the Sale website to check on that game. Well there are reports from last night, London Irish and "Looking Ahead" to Wasps and London Irish, even "Jets Battle Hard Against Champions" . Nothing is easily find-able on the Newcastle game (nor, indeed, other defeats). Is this a wish of someone at Sale to attempt to airbrush history? If, as sports psycologists have us believe,# that defeat make you stronger, why is there is wish to only print good news.

Anyway, I'm off to find the relevant thread(s) for some of my other points. I don't want to be accused of starring duplicate threads, even if one of the moderators managed to do that with the 'Team v Gloucester' thread. ( I have to say it is easily done: there is nothing when you start to post, but someone beats you to it by a minute or so. The rule of thumb is that it is the later thread than gets picked up and expanded on by others. The 'search' function on sportsnetwork has to be about the poorest anywhere and there is no guarantee that I shall be able to find the "proper" threads, so I might have to start my own, unless I just don't bother posting.)

30 September, 2017 10:47
Evans didn't play v Newcastle, Neild was given a first AP start as hooker and JB called the lineouts. Result - foreseeable disaster.

Glaws played away from home like Sale have for a couple of seasons. They didn't score from good field position and good handling moves, coughed up the ball and conceded 14 pointers. They turned down possible penalty kick chances and then stuffed up the attacking lineout. They played far too much rugby between the 22m lines which gave the interceptions. Sale were lucky not to get a yellow for 7 consecutive penalties.

SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 10:53
Apart from that we scored more points in any Premiership game since we beat Worcester at EP back in 2004, we currently sit 5th, had back to back 5 pointers at home for the first time in a long time

30 September, 2017 11:04
Yup - as Dimes commented - "it was a freak game".

Here's the full piece:-

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

30 September, 2017 11:07
Great here's hoping for more freak games at the AJB....You have to feel sorry for those who didn't get to the game. Hopefully when they read all the positives on here they will return

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 11:09
Quote:
SwannyMediaMan
Apart from that we scored more points in any Premiership game since we beat Worcester at EP back in 2004, we currently sit 5th, had back to back 5 pointers at home for the first time in a long time

That confirms my theory that only good news is printed. I doubt such as a third record defeat on the trot by Sale would have merited a post.

30 September, 2017 11:15
I don't feel sorry for those who didn't go. I feel sorry for those who couldn't go had they wished to.

30 September, 2017 11:16
But a big win like that might tempt you back to the AJB Dave (Sm100)

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 11:27
The big drum was back in the South Stand too. The best performance in a while. Coincidence?

30 September, 2017 11:30
It was noted well done for that

30 September, 2017 11:33
Quote:
Pappje Shark
The big drum was back in the South Stand too. The best performance in a while. Coincidence?

Yup - Mako was nearly error free in the paradiddles and his ruffs & drags were spot on. A solid 8 I think - the Guardian only gave him 7.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 11:35
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Yup - as Dimes commented - "it was a freak game".
Here's the full piece:-

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

I know Dimes likes a good quote but this one taken from the above link is classic

"“You have got to get used to the cattle that you are prodding.”
Read more at [www.premiershiprugby.com]"

I have no idea what that means - but I like it

30 September, 2017 11:40
I think he means he is learning how the new players react to praise or b0ll0ckings. Of course it could mean he is raising a herd with the intention of going on a cattle drove to Smithfield Market.

clutch (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 11:45
It was a bit of a freak game where everything clicked. 3 intercept tries and 2 tries which are aided by the bounce of the ball. Nice to get that rub of the green for once!

The defence was the biggest plus point, and O Connor just looked a class above, even from the brief cameo. I assume he will be on the bench again next week.

Beeston Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 11:47
Worth mentioning that Harrison and Taurus were superb in the loose last night. Both all over the park making tackles and hitting rucks, and Taurus's hands are something else!

30 September, 2017 12:10
Quote:
Beeston Shark
Worth mentioning that Harrison and Taurus were superb in the loose last night. Both all over the park making tackles and hitting rucks, and Taurus's hands are something else!

Good obervation. I too thought Tarus was good in the loose. Harrison has poor hands when running - not helped by passes fired at him - but does distribute well from the breakdown.

I was pleased that faf defeated the offside defence with the chip. That was missing v Newcastle.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 12:28
Quote:
SwannyMediaMan
But a big win like that might tempt you back to the AJB Dave (Sm100)
Yes and no to that, Swanny. I have never been someone who needs to see a big win to go back. Indeed, some of the biggest wins (in various sports - watching and playing) have been pretty boring stuff. Last night's game is the sort that occasionally surfaces: one side taking the greater share of possession but not able to put chances away. Then, in trying to force it too much, getting careless and the opposition scoring from breakaways.

Games like last night's don't happen too often, as the stats (which you have already pointed out) show. Mind you, the next game could be the same or, on the other hand, could be another 'Newcastle'. It's that not knowing in advance that makes sport what it is (or, at least, should be).

Crutch (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 12:30
True, something we need to do more when the oppo defence are blitzing our line.

We knew that Faf would have a great running game and good pass, but did anyone know how good a tactical kicker he is too?!

Our tackle stats are fairly ridiculous - Jono Ross at the top with 25...

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 12:47
Quote:
Beeston Shark

Marc Jones made some ludicrously good offloads as well, who needs SBW!

dandan2 (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 12:49
I think now that we have settled in to the season and have some good choice of players , and some probably in need of a week or two rest, it would be a good time to rotate a few, I think Nott Seymour and Pearce should be given a decenent run out at Quinn's and give Beaumont the curries and either Strauss or Ross a bit of a break, I think the front row will pretty much pick itself with Cam on the bench for his flexibility. Keep faf and O'Connor going to build up their understanding of each other and just tweak the back line depending on who needs a break.

Come on Sale!!

30 September, 2017 12:55
I think the Curries will be out injured, Webber possibly for the next game. We are down to bare bones now. Addison & Leota will be unavailable until the NY.

If Nott, Seymour & Pearce all start v Quins then the scoreline may well be the same as last night's.

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 13:08
Quote:
Beeston Shark

Totally agree, Harrison is particular impresses me more each week st the moment. Don't know how many tackles he made but I counted 4 in a period of about 2 minutes defending in our 22

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 13:09
Well done Sale from over the hills at Newcastle. That is a blasting result, puts you in good stead for the rest of the coming season.

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 13:14
Quote:
Crutch
True, something we need to do more when the oppo defence are blitzing our line.
We knew that Faf would have a great running game and good pass, but did anyone know how good a tactical kicker he is too?!

Our tackle stats are fairly ridiculous - Jono Ross at the top with 25...

Great vision for it, spotted that there was a man light in their backfield

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 13:16
Quote:
dandan2
I think now that we have settled in to the season and have some good choice of players , and some probably in need of a week or two rest, it would be a good time to rotate a few, I think Nott Seymour and Pearce should be given a decenent run out at Quinn's and give Beaumont the curries and either Strauss or Ross a bit of a break, I think the front row will pretty much pick itself with Cam on the bench for his flexibility. Keep faf and O'Connor going to build up their understanding of each other and just tweak the back line depending on who needs a break.
Come on Sale!!

Don't think we will rotate next week, but yes for the Euro games

Crutch (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 13:33
Premiership rugby says Harrison made 17 tackles which is pretty impressive given he came off at 57 mins!

Others who made 10 tackles or more:

Sam James - 18
AJ - 17 (74mins)
Webber - 11 (31 mins!)
Tarus 13 (56 mins)
Evans - 13
Jono Ross - 25
Ben Curry - 19 (44 mins!)
Strauss - 15
Jones - 12 (49 mins)
JoC - 10 (40 mins)

Honourable mention to Flynn for 9 tackles in 23 mins!

God knows how many Ben would've made over the game although I guess he knew he'd be coming off about 60 mins even if not injured.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 14:40
Great stats - I thought Sam J was making a lot of tackles around the park and that proves it. Possibly one of his best games? A big tackling presence, breakaway try, great hands in the build up to Denny's second....

MartWhit (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 14:41
SOme impressive tackle numbers there.

1 thing though, that struck me as I watched the highlights. We're still vulnerable out wide. If the players are honest, for both McGuigans interceptions, if Gloucs had made a good pass it was they who would have scored, there was no defence to stop them. To me, this stems from very slow realignment which means we end up with players defending out of position. Look at the number of times we have quicker men defending the fringe and forwards in midfield. I think this is a talking issue. The best teams, and I'm thinking Sarries here, really scan the attack and realign to get better matchups. Sarries will work hard to get their big forwards back inside to defend the inside and their backs will get themselves back to the wide channels. We just dont do that and end up being mismatched too often.

Thats not to detract from a wonderful performance last night. But its definitely something that needs work if we want to beat the best teams.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 14:49
Quote:
dandan2
Come on Sale!!

Dandan - I think that would be bonkers personally. We've a great result under our belts and we want to back it up with another one. Quins away is one we could have a chance at nicking like we did a couple of seasons back when Cips won back to back away games at Falcons and Quins for us. Europe and the AW are coming up when there can be some rotation but for now, we want to put our best side out in the League. Strauss has just had his best game so far, he'll want to lay down another rumbustious marker. Ross is the captain, he'll be keen to keep at it I imagine. It won't be easy, but an away win would be a huge plus for our season prospects.

23Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 14:53
I think it's amazing that no matter how well we win some people will always look for the negatives, even bringing it back to previous games.

Why not just be happy that we have comfortably won a match and broke a few of our own records in the process.

I, for one, can't wait for the next home match and hopefully we might see some more 5 pointers this season! I'll certainly be trying to bring some mates down to watch.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 15:06
Injuries aside, I dont think the next game is a rotation fixture. We can win it, and fatigue isn't yet an issue. As others have said, there's ample room in the AW and Euro rounds to rotate. Maybe some of the fringe players might even have found some form by then.

dandan2 (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 16:16
I think it's a good idea to try and win what you are in, yes we have a small squad and winning the league may not be realistic, but what would be so bad if won some silver wear from the Euro comp, so as I suggested earlier, we rotate a bit next week but still go to Quinn's with a decent shout, then at home to Toulouse we give it a good go, win the home euro matches and pick up a bonus point away might see us through to the next round. Plus get some winning momentum could see us climb the prem table too. My glass is half full and I've got my rose tinted specs on.

But non the less come on Sale!!

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 19:21
Quote:
MartWhit
Interesting so far.
We've been fairly handily beaten by Sarries & Wasps, 2 team who will compete for top 4 this season. We also played dismally against the seasons surprise package, current leaders Falcons.

Yet we've thrashed Irish and Gloucs, 2 sides who loook set to struggle. Glaws absolutely capitulated tonight.

We havent really tested ourselves yet against any of the mass of midfield contenders. Will be interesting when we do.

Well, Glaws beat Exeter. But I'm not sure how many of that side played last night.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 19:55
On a tangent, did anyone else there witness what looked like Ludlow planting his studs into Strauss' stomach late in the second half?

It was at a ruck near halfway and close to the West Stand touchline. As I saw it, Strauss was rolling away and clearly had done. Ludlow came over him into the ruck and planted his boot right into Strauss' guts. From my vantage point, Strauss was far enough away that the old adage of "He shouldn't have been there" didn't apply. Certainly, when Strauss got up he turned and stared at home for several seconds because he knew. Don't know if he said anything to Ludlow but he knew what had happened.

I can't honestly remember if it was before or after Byron's third try, but there was karma of sorts in that Ludlow threw the intercept pass.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 08:51
1st half [www.youtube.com]
2nd half [www.youtube.com]

Barend (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 19:49
Quote:
Pappje
On a tangent, did anyone else there witness what looked like Ludlow planting his studs into Strauss' stomach late in the second half?

There's an incident at around 64 minutes and 10 seconds? Strauss is cleared out on to the Gloucester side during a ruck and is guided out of the way...

Crutch (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 20:18
Thanks Irish - for some reason the official site still thinks my iPad is located overseas and bars me access...

Enjoyed watching the full game back, the main thing I picked up from the refs remarks was that the reason we didn't get any pens at the breakdown was he believed our competing players were off their feet.

Interesting that in the 2nd half we more or less stopped competing there which reduced the penalty count - not sure if that was playing the ref, or that the Curries were off injured.

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 21:43
Pappje, I saw it but have to say I thought it was just rucking. I think the ref saw it also as Strauss initially looked miffed but got on with it.
Martwhit, I'm not with you on the defence point. On a couple of occasions Gloucs got round our defence but we scrambled well. On Friday, the defence was very solid and organised and the only time it was breached was a direct push through the middle. Every player tackled themselves into the ground.
Webber's arm injury looks Very troubling. He was in front of us and it was at the fracture site where he has now had two breaks. He was moving his hand but it must be worrying. I suspect Friday may have been T Curry's last game for some weeks - he was receiving attention for some time and it could well be a broken arm. I certainly hope not but if it is then that presumably is him done for the AI. The silver lining is there is a ready made squad replacement in his brother. The way Hadkell was blowing today I can't see him forcing his way back into the squad.

thekeg (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 22:09
Curry is just a chipped bone apparently, 2-3 weeks only.....

stevene (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 16:13
thoughts on friday, having missed the match and watched the replay:

Haley had a good efficient game at full back and was good with his decision making/ under the high ball. hopefully some confidence coming back.

we wont play a team with slower defensive line speed all season.

their lineout had a shocker and they were clueless with ball in hand. worse than irish considering they had substantial amounts of ball.

their slow defensive line speed allowed more fluid back play when we had the ball. the majority of the non intercept tries demonstrated that.

evans was majestic in the lineout. goes to show how the lineout (rather than scrum) is the critical set piece in modern rugby both on attack and defence.

mcguigan. the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. continues to make himself more than a squad player. every team needs a mcguigan, even the greatest teams.

beaumont continues to struggle in transferring from 8 to second row. needs to find some power/ edge to his game.

back row dominated with a nice balance across 6/7/8.

we arent missing addison at outside centre defensively. Sam James was solid and made the right decisions. as and when addison is fit we should be looking to rotate him in the back 3.

de klerk at the heart of everything we did right. playing as good as any 9 in the AP at present.

whilst its nice to win a game like that with so little overall possession and that augers well for away matches I doubt that any team we face at their ground will have as little intensity or passion as they did. therefore our lack of tight five power (esp away from home) continues to be a worry. will be intrigued to see if we can back this up versus quins away on friday. even with the injuries we should be able to put out a similar starting XV. on paper its an away game we should be targeting as a possible 4 pointer/ absolute must 1 pointer. time will tell.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 16:35
Marc Jones made some ludicrously good offloads as well, who needs SBW
Offloads become a whole lot easier when the game is in the bag...

sonofpricey (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:34
My blog about the game last week. Very Gloucester centric but thought you might be interested to read another point of view.

[candwglasses.blogspot.co.uk]

06 October, 2017 11:41
Thanks for that - however I must say that a glance at the stats table would lead a neutral to conclude that Glaws won 57 - 10.

Glaws definitely missed Balmain, Moriarty & Sharples - but imho the tactics were those of someone unaquainted with AP away games.

Lebowski (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 21:16
A great win by Sale and congratulations - tough to take as a Glos fan.

It is very early days for us however, with a completely new tactical approach. We are going to have some horrible days at the office. We will only get better though so don't write us off yet!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net