rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Guess at the team for Quins
WithingtonShark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 11:57
Was just thinking hypothetically if all the players who were injured before the game last night or got injured last night can't play next week, what would the team look like. The strength in depth we finally have, I don't even think this team looks that weak!

Haley
Denny
James
Jennings
McGuigan
J’OC
Faf
Harrison
Jones
Taurus
Evans
Beaumont
Ross
Pearce
Strauss

Flynn
Neild
Aulika
Ostrikov
Seymour
Cliff
Charnley

Re: Guess at the team for Quins
Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 12:35
Wouldn’t be drop AJ at all.

Be a real real shame if both Currys are out. Fingers crossed!

30 September, 2017 12:37
Out of choice, not a chance I would drop AJ but didn't he go off and stay off with a head injury last night?

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 13:20
That back row would be imbalanced IMO i think we have to have TJ or Seymour in there at 7

30 September, 2017 13:24
I of course would like to see TJ in the mix but wasn't he ruled out last night through injury?

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 13:43
AJ off only late in the game - must have been a HIA to allow Faf back on.

One of the Currys can be seen walking around smiling at the final whistle on the match highlights video - possibly Ben given Tom's looked to be the more serious injury? (Incidentally, should the tackle that put Tom out have been looked at again? To the naked eye it looked a bit suspect).

Olyy (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 14:35
HIAs are a 10min minimum these days, And AJ went off at 73ish so wouldn't have come back on regardless of result.

I don't think I'd start JOC. As good as he looked last night Dimes did hint beforehand that he wouldn't have featured if Addison is fit. Would rather ease him back in and not risk him breaking.
Also AJ has played well enough to keep it.

Has there been any word on Taurus? He took a hefty knock to his arm before going off, dove for a ball and had two Gloucester players land right on him at full pace.

For me:

Harrison, Jones, Aulika
Evans, Beaumont
Ross, Ioane, Strauss
Faf, AJ
McGuigan, Jennings, James, Solomona
Haley

Neild, Flynn, John, Ostrikov, Pearce, Seymour, Cliff, JOC

Presuming that the two currys, Webber and Taurus are injured

Though I would consider giving McGuigan a run at 15 with Charnley on the wing, would also consider Nott on the bench for Seymour (Nott is a better flanker than second row IMO)

30 September, 2017 15:01
The heavy tackle on the Curry looked fair to me (watching on Unibet)

He basically got blindsided and Heinz hit him hard but it looked fair - around the chest, wrapped etc., just a very hard fair hit which Curry wasn't expecting

Rich E (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 16:22
Unless TJ is fit I would start Seymour at open side - doubt either Curry will make it. Ross, who I thought was absolutely outstanding must play as skipper and blindside.

Beaumnot was striggling at half time and had several stops for physio so hopefully he will be fit for next week.

JOC was blowing a fair bit, which was fully expected given his first game and the pace of it - I'd start him on the bench to continue to ease him back, assuming AJ had no lasting damage from his HIA.

Taurus is due a rest, he came off seemingly nursing a few knocks, and Auilka seems markedly in better shape than the first game of the season - a bit of rotation perhaps.

Back up hooker could be interesting...

2007dwain (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 16:44
This 2 back subs scares me

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 18:03
TJ said he had been rotated

Crutch (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 18:08
Interesting as he's not started a game!...

I imagine he'll have to be more involved with Curry injuries so that's good news at least for the Quins game.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 18:42
Tom Currys injury not as serious as first feared according to Dimes. 2/3 weeks out rather than the 8/10 originally feared.

[www.salesharks.com]

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 21:05
Not sure it has been mentioned elsewhere, but Simon Orange's programme notes from last night state we "are on the lookout for a top quality centre" to cover Addison and Leota.

Presumably this will be an immediate arrival, possibly on a short term contract?

thekeg (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 22:01
Quote:
M5 Shark
Not sure it has been mentioned elsewhere, but Simon Orange's programme notes from last night state we "are on the lookout for a top quality centre" to cover Addison and Leota.
Presumably this will be an immediate arrival, possibly on a short term contract?

SBW anyone?

Crutch (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 22:15
You'd think that JoC would just slot in there for now? Suggests even more so that he'll be in at 10 sooner rather than later.

ale shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 06:14
Having a solitary back on the bench plus Cliff is beyond stupid. If Faf gets injured then our season is ruined. The moment a game is no longer in the balance he needs to be taken off and wrapped up, not wheeled back into the action if there's another injury. If we had a back up 9 then fair enough but we don't.

2007dwain (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 09:06
How long as Addison out for?

2007dwain (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 09:42
A big name international centre in until January/February might help bring few more people through the gates too

01 October, 2017 10:03
Quote:
2007dwain
How long as Addison out for?

Xmas - Broken jaw sustained in training according to commentary during Friday's match

thekeg (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 10:32
Quote:
Crutch
You'd think that JoC would just slot in there for now? Suggests even more so that he'll be in at 10 sooner rather than later.

Yes but that would still mean we are stretching 4 players across 3 positions (4 if you include the bench slot), so no slack at all

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 20:58
JOC played well but clearly isn't fit yet - he was happily heaving his guts up near the halfway line as one of the tries was being run in ( James' try?). Not seen that before at pro level. Makes his performance all the more creditable.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 01:59
Brush used to retch relatively frequently, not necessarily a fitness issue, though in this case, first run for quite some time is likely to have been a shock to the system.

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 07:07
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Brush used to retch relatively frequently, not necessarily a fitness issue, though in this case, first run for quite some time is likely to have been a shock to the system.

After a prolonged injury break, I am sure he has been running in training??

02 October, 2017 07:34
The more worrying thing is that since Jennings was also ill there may be a virus in the squad.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

MartWhit (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 08:52
Which would make friday an even more impressive result.

If it is, I think it should be out of the system in time for a decent week of training and be ready to play on Friday.

02 October, 2017 09:04
Slightly off topic, is Paolo O out on loan at the moment? I feel like it wouldn't be the worst idea to have Charnley on loan for a couple of months in the Championship tackling lumps and for Odogwu to be given a run as 1st choice wing back up. I fear if we lose him we might end up regretting it.

buelligansmate (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:07
Quote:
WithingtonShark
Slightly off topic, is Paolo O out on loan at the moment? I feel like it wouldn't be the worst idea to have Charnley on loan for a couple of months in the Championship tackling lumps and for Odogwu to be given a run as 1st choice wing back up. I fear if we lose him we might end up regretting it.
He is injured,shoulder if I remember correctly what he told me

02 October, 2017 09:12
Injured in the 7's scoring a try. Dislocated shoulder at least iirc.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

tbird (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:32
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
PoyntonShark

After a prolonged injury break, I am sure he has been running in training??

It's a pretty huge step up from running/training ground fitness to match fitness.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 10:41
Quote:
The more worrying thing is that since Jennings was also ill there may be a virus in the squad.

Quote:
Which would make friday an even more impressive result.

Well, it certainly seemed to give them the runs last Friday!

I've never quite got the hang of "guess the team". It seems to be pretty much a shot in the dark most of the time. What is true that with a small squad and a few injuries the matchday 23 almost picks itself.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 10:42
its not supposed to be. With modern training methods and all the gps equipment, the aim of training is to replicate match conditions. Thats why players come straight back from injury to 1st XV, and why pre seasons can be light on matches.

Form may take a while to come back, but fitness should only be an significant issue if rushed back ahead of schedule.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 10:46
To return to retching: I think some people are just more prone to it than others. Fitness is possibly a factor for some, for others it is 'nerves', and some seem to need those nerves to give their best performance.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 11:07
Quote:
Crutch

I asked him at the SSSC night last week and he has come as a 10.

thekeg (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 11:49
Quote:
MartWhit
its not supposed to be. With modern training methods and all the gps equipment, the aim of training is to replicate match conditions. Thats why players come straight back from injury to 1st XV, and why pre seasons can be light on matches.
Form may take a while to come back, but fitness should only be an significant issue if rushed back ahead of schedule.

I think that's the point, he seems to have been brought back ahead of schedule

clutch (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 11:55
Maybe that was Les Bone's excuse

MartWhit (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 12:01
good memory

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 12:31
I suggested on twitter that the cause of JOC reaching was ha first encounter with the Barton Boff, which made an unwelcome appearance in the second half. Another tweeter who I think was in the post-match entertainment replied to say that JOC was blaming it on landing right on top of the ball with his chest. If so, that'd suggest it's not a bug about to lay waste to the squad.

thekeg (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 15:22
Quote:
clutch
Maybe that was Les Bone's excuse

For 15 years....

Olyy (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 16:44
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Injured in the 7's scoring a try. Dislocated shoulder at least iirc.
Aye, bad enough to require surgery as well, still rehabbing it (according to a post on instagram the other day)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net