rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Open Invitation
SwannyMediaMan (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 13:22
Had a chat with Dimes earlier. We think it would be great to invite some of you down to Carrington one evening to have a chat with us about how we can improve things. We would like to invite some of you down particularly...
Mrs Trellis
Haleshark
Bull Shark
Emerging Shark
Strinesian
MartWhit
All the Editors
We can accomodate up to 30 people

Let me know either on here or by emailing me on dave.swanton@salesharks.com when you are available and lets get a date in the diary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 18:20 by Tigger.

Re: Open Invitation
Tigger (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 13:25
Great idea Swanny....would need some notice of the dates you are looking at but would love to attend.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

01 October, 2017 13:27
Sound good to me. Can you suggest some dates.

01 October, 2017 13:29
We are easy on dates but want to make sure we can get as many there as possible who have issues or ideas.

01 October, 2017 13:29
Thanks for the invitation - I'm gobsmacked and may well be afterwards.

If numbers exceed 30 I will willingly cede my highly esteemed place to someone who has specific ideas which they wish to see carried out by the business .

I don't really have any views/criticisms on f&b etc. and wish to see easier access by public transport which is not in the remit of the business. Free proper shuttles from the TC have long gone.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 13:36 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

01 October, 2017 13:31
Good stuff be great to have you down so we can produce a definitive list on what the issues and ideas are. What dates and times are best fior you Mrs T?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 13:32 by SwannyMediaMan.

01 October, 2017 13:36
Any time is ok for me as I'm retired but I sail most afternoons - weather permitting - and go on holiday every month until next summer.

Any weekday morning 10am would suit if I'm in the country. You said one evening which I take to mean you are trying to fit the workers in after ofice hours. Therefore if I'm here I'll make evenings as well although that'll mean a "dry" dinner. Why not HR btw - easy public transport?

My topic would be the re-introduction of free proper shuttles to and from the TC on matchdays.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 13:43 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

01 October, 2017 13:43
Daytime meetings seem to be unpopular Mrs T as per criticisms on other threads. We are easy on timings though and will accomodate as many as we can.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 13:53
Dave, I'll email you what dates I can't do tomorrow morning.
Will the stadium management and catering company be represented at this gathering?

01 October, 2017 13:55
No need I will take minutes and Dimes will take the issues to the stadium.

emerging shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 14:55
I'm happy pop along if I can. If it's not during the day, I struggle with transport most evenings (wife hogs the car!). My only evening is Thursdays.
Like Mrs T, I don't have any problem with the stadium, it's certainly much better that either Hr or EP. I don't drink much due to having to drive. Suggest you include TimperleyShark as well Swanny.
We are certainly at a crossroads in our development and there is a real need to bring the club and fans closer together. Good shout.

Rani of the Road (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:03
CAUTION! Posters reversing...

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/558/48/3048558.gif

HaleShark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 15:12
That's a welcome invitation, and mush appreciated.

Like Mrs T I'm somewhat surprised but given the angst of many on other threads I feel the club have had no other option. However, as I say a welcomed invitation non the less and it's a rare positive move by the club to re-connect with the fans.
I would hope the representatives of the club will perhaps give those attending a little more insight into it's future direction which seems such a mystery at times. As we're 5 years on now at the AJB I won't hold my breath on any promises to action any issues, I know that sounds negative but it's where we all are right now.

I agree with Swanny, a daytime get together will almost put most people out of any meeting, it would have to be an evening. With that though it may put me out as I work odd-shifts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 16:22 by HaleShark.

01 October, 2017 15:57
I haven't seen anyone reversing their views.

<ed> after taking it under advisement consider yourself on a formal warning <ed/>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 17:04 by Tigger.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:09
Why not schedule it for 3pm on a Saturday afternoon? That should suit most people!!

01 October, 2017 16:20
I haven't seen anyone reversing their views."We need a meeting... oh, I don't need to attend, here's the only thing I wanted to discuss"
Are you a fan of paedophiles Rani? Not proven in court that he was, although as you seem to be the expert on everything I guess you know best.
I could do without seeing that one so often. It irritates you? Good, it's how I feel about you.

iBozz (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:24
<ed>Avoid getting personal, Chaps</ed>

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:27
No one is reversing their views, quite a ridiculous comment Rani of the Road. It's a welcome opportunity for people to air their views directly at the club.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:27
I don't share some of the issues as others but can contribute the perspective of someone who was enticed to bring my family by the Tigers fixture on Saturday afternoon four seasons back and saw enough to become a ST Holder when the new season rolled round afterwards and have remained ever since. I've no experience of Heywood Road or EP, PSA or Kingsley Jones but I've found a friendly club that I want to see succeed on and off the pitch.

It might not be an invitation aimed at someone like me but if I could make it, I'd willingly contribute. Usual weekday office hours wouldn't work for me, as seems to be the case generally, and would try to make whatever time suggested if possible.

Tigger (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:34
<ed> that is bordering on slanderous. Delete it or I will<ed>

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 17:04 by Tigger.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:36
Quote:
Pappje Shark
I don't share some of the issues as others but can contribute the perspective of someone who was enticed to bring my family by the Tigers fixture on Saturday afternoon four seasons back and saw enough to become a ST Holder when the new season rolled round afterwards and have remained ever since. I've no experience of Heywood Road or EP, PSA or Kingsley Jones but I've found a friendly club that I want to see succeed on and off the pitch.
It might not be an invitation aimed at someone like me but if I could make it, I'd willingly contribute. Usual weekday office hours wouldn't work for me, as seems to be the case generally, and would try to make whatever time suggested if possible.

Everyone's views are welcome and you will be too.

Tigger (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:43
I suggested before that it would be a good idea to have one thread with posters/supporters experiences of the match day....M5 Shark had that thread and when I suggested that maybe we should keep all the comments to it, rather than having multiple threads it was 'shot down'.

So maybe this is the thread????

Many posters will not be able to attend due to the fact of geography/work and family commitments...but this is an offer we would be stupid to waste.

So can we have all your matchday experience comments on here? And all your wishes/wants/needs?

Everything from KO times to food and drink, shuttle bus, parking....and baring in mind that Sale will have absolutely NO say on roadworks etc...

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 16:54
maybe edit the thread title and posters can add ideas/thoughts here. Maybe wait until date is confirmed?

01 October, 2017 16:57
As I understand it the subjects discussed will only be related to the stadium and not to the activities of the franchise/business on or off the field.

01 October, 2017 17:08
If he deletes his libelous post then I will remove mine, otherwise I will make a complaint to the Editors.

<ed>already done. <ed/>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 17:12 by Tigger.

01 October, 2017 17:11
Go and complain. It's not libelous and your post showing Jackson was both incorrect and unnecessary.

<ed> I asked for clarity on your post and it was deemed slanderous. You are on a formal warning <ed/>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 17:13 by Tigger.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 17:12
Thanks Hale.

And thanks Mrs T for that info - I suggest it would be a good idea to have the parameters of what can and can't be discussed set out clearly in advance, so no-one can feel disappointed after the event.

Swanny - could you give a steer as to the kind of times that would work best to help form ideas for dates? So stay nights are no-nos but Wednesday evenings are generally likely to work, that should help people. Everyone appreciates the offer to give up some time to meet with a group of us so let's find out when suits all the club reps best.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 17:24
Pappje as a season ticket holder with a young family yours is exactly the sort of opinion which needs to be canvassed.

Dave, why not arrange for the stadium manager and catering manager to attend so we can all speak together directly? I found that to be very beneficial in the past. It was particularly useful that we could give our opinions to them but also we could listen to their take on matters which didn't necessarily agree with the club's slant. Pam Martin, the then stadium manager, made her frustrations very clear. I doubt it was comfortable for the club but we (literally at times it seemed) thrashed things out and all ended up with a good understanding of each other's point of view, constraints and wishes. I've no doubt Dimes can speak to the stadium but why the Chinese whispers? Let's all get together, Dimes included.

01 October, 2017 17:41
I mentioned nothing about anyone changing their views, it was that they seemed to be reversing away from an opportunity to have their say.

My point was that after moaning constantly about the club doing nothing and club/supporter meetings ceasing, posters on this board have been offered a gilt-edged invitation to attend (if possible) a meeting at Carrington with the club to put their views and wishes across.

Without an actual date or dates even being offered, those who seemed so vehement and desperate to get something done now already can't attend, and are happy just to pass their question on for someone else to ask. If I was as desperate as some on here seem to be as they constantly harangue poor Swanny for information about everything, then I'd make sure that I could attend, unless it was a life or death situation or work was in the way.

Maybe those who have no transport/have to share a car can get a lift with those who have. As for "Can you ask a question for me?" then you are reliant on them phrasing it properly and the minute taker also doing the same.

The club are offering YOU the chance to go and ask questions about what YOU consider important to YOU. Don't miss that chance.

[apologies to the Eds for 'off-topic'-ing]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 18:00 by Rani of the Road.

Tigger (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 17:45
<ed> OK. This is very important. We need to keep this one thread on topic. AS M5 Shark suggested we can alter the title of the thread once we know the date. PLEASE keep this thread for our matchday experiences and ideas.<ed/>

I am going to post some comments that have been left on various threads here that I think are pertinent.

Matchday Info / Feedback for matches at AJ Bell 17/18
M5 Shark
04 September, 2017 20:50
I thought I'd start this thread up again for the 17/18 season. Post any comments, questions, feedback about the matchday experience here and hopefully we can help Swanny get any problems resolved. Even better, we may suggest ideas which the club put in to action.

Travel plan published by the club for the Newcastle game (Fri 08 Sep, KO 1945) is here

AJ Bell Infrastructure
1972shark
04 September, 2017 20:35
Anyone know if the new road is up and running yet onto the A57 opposite Barton Airport, or if anything else has improved with regard to getting in/out of stadium etc?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2017 20:51 by 1972shark.

Re: AJ Bell Infrastructure
Pappje Shark
05 September, 2017 19:50
Think the key is going to be the point where the slip lane to the stadium starts. I hope it is far enough back that Barton traffic can escape there without being snarled up behind all the stadium traffic.

Re: AJ Bell Infrastructure
Timpers
05 September, 2017 20:44
Slightly off topic. On Sat before the game at the Ricoh, the Wasps shuttle bus took just the two of us, gratis, a couple of hundreds yards down the road and dropped us off outside a club where Wasps supporters were enjoying a drink. Thankfully we didn't have to book days, weeks in advance; what a refreshing change.

Exploding the traffic myth!
Roy P
09 September, 2017 09:37
I just thought I would share my experience last night.
I have supported Sale for over 20 years, I live in Sale & enjoyed nothing more than walking to Heywood Road but we are where we are and for the record I think the AJ Bell is a good stadium.
Yesterday, due to work, I travelled from Birmingham, the M6 was closed for 50 miles so I had to make my way across the wilds of the Cheshire countryside. It took me 4 hours.
This was absolutely nothing to do with Sale Sharks, the AJ Bell stadium or the master car park magician who is Dave Swanton.
My journey took 4 hours, I changed at home & left for the ground.
It took me 20 minutes door to door, no motorway delays, no A57 problems, in my seat for kick off.
I left 1/2 hour after the game finished & took 1/2 hour to exit the ground.
I know that this is not everyone's experience but those people who expect to be able to drive to within 1 metre of the front door, park for free & be able to leave 1 minute after the match are searching for a holy grail that does not exist.

Re: Advice for motorists for the Budgies game
ale shark
07 September, 2017 09:18
"We know this looks scary and confusing and it seems traffic will be a bit of a nightmare, and it may well be! But we ask that you bear with us for this first match of the season because it is beyond our and the Stadium's control."

Here's an idea Sale Sharks, something that is in within your control - when there are scheduled road works in the immediate vicinity of the stadium that you know is going to cause disruption - why not play the games on the weekend when traffic is quieter and people have more time?

Re: Time out re traffic/access/attendance problems...
LJK
10 September, 2017 21:00
The club know well enough our frustrations over the access issue going on so long, and seem resigned to the fact that until it gets sorted they may as well bide their time in trying to build attendance. Dimes said as much in his pre-match interview on BT (which I have just watched) clearly for now 'throwing in the towel' on low attendance due to the issues. I am sure efforts to build the crowd will increase once the final work is done.
Of course they also need to have the team do better than on Friday and win our home games.!

Re: Time out re traffic/access/attendance problems...
Chris1850
10 September, 2017 21:17
If the club read and take any notice at all of this forum then arguably, several threads that start at regular intervals and end up commenting upon the access issues is more persuasive than a single thread, as it makes it all the more obvious that this is a topic that fans consistently return to after each home game in particular.

To be honest though, I think anyone who believes that constantly complaining about the access issue has much of an effect are living in cloud cuckoo land. The point has been done to death over the years. I am sure the club are acutely aware of the problems and realise that it is a major cause of low attendances. Also, lets get real, this forum represents the views of what, 50 regular contributors? Who knows what the other 2950 there on Friday night think, for example.

Finally, I would make the point that the various threads referred to did not all start as general threads regarding the access issue per se. Two at least were specific with regards to the game on Friday and, as such, are worthy of a separate thread. Not sure there is a problem

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 21:21 by Chris1850.

Re: Time out re traffic/access/attendance problems... new
Timperley Shark
11 September, 2017 15:24
Good point HS, and as one of those who read most threads but haven't posted for a while, here goes.

I was a season ticket holder for many years, and travelled to many away matches, including European games watching the team I have supported since moving to Manchester in the 1980's. This year I did not renew my season ticket nor have I planned any away games, apart from Cardiff, which doubles up as a pre-Christmas visit to family in Wales.

The reasons for not renewing are numerous.

Last year, in December, I was offered a contract in Canada, which was followed by a 2 month trip around North America. I continually read the Sale report and checked the forum. But did I miss watching a game of rugby involving the Sharks? Simply, no.

What I had watched up until I left was quite frankly, awful and boring. And in truth, I was becoming pretty disillusioned before then. I felt for a while we had been playing clueless rugby, often with no commitment. Each new season was greeted with the usual fanfare, new players, new management structure, great improvements at the ground etc etc, only very quickly to go back to the same old type.

I struggle to remember more than a couple of occasions when I have left the AJB, thinking "That was a great game, what a fantastic night, cant wait until the next one"

Even at my old age, fans have an affinity with certain players. And even those who are not your favourites, you still feel a little bit of affinity with as you are all part of the same team, either on or off the field. For me, that "bond" has gone. Leota and Sammy T apart, even on European games, how many players regularly walk over to the fans at the end of the game? We have no doubt signed some good players, but my feeling always was they would be off in 2 years to a bigger, better paying club. And a lot of the home grown players leave too, although the recent contract renewals are an encouragement.

And so onto the AJ Bell. Travel to the ground was not initially easy, but the Brook coach has solved that headache and certainly does not take 90 minutes to get to the AJB from Timperley as happened on a couple of occasions.

The beer at the ground is ok, or was. On Friday we sent it back as it was sour. Service, as always was pretty poor, but I can cope with that. Now, we laugh about it.

My main issue is the atmosphere at the ground is always pretty flat. Its a soulless place. The South Stand try their best. I have stood / sat in all areas of the ground and at times you can hear a pin drop.

I was hopeful on Friday the "New Dawn" would materialise watching my team for the first time in eleven months. Alas no. I will go to the game on Friday, cheer the guys on and hope we win. But at the back of my mind, I fear it may be my last game for a while.

Sorry about the length of the post, I could go on, but it pretty well sums up my mood.

Re: Poor Attendance v Newcastle
Bull Shark
11 September, 2017 09:59
The argument has been done to death and we are where we are but Sale don’t have enough fans to support a Premiership rugby team. There are probably less than 3,000 die hard supporters who will support no matter what. What they tapped into successfully at EP was the casual rugby lover, of which there are many in the North West, drawn to Sale as the only team in the area where they could watch top flight rugby union. Over time some of these can be converted into more die hard supporters but only if the conditions are right. Ep offered good public transport and various pubs for the pre match social. All nice and attractive for the groups of lads from the various local rugby sides who wanted a good Friday night out with a bit of rugby thrown in. Now there is nowhere other than the ground to drink, no public transport and so one in every 5 has to stay sober and drive.. hardly lad’s night out material. Parents like EP as you could arrive fairly late (all parents know that arriving at a ground early with kids = spending money) and park up for free (once you’ve paid for tickets for a family of 4, a drink etc you don’t really want to spend another £7 on parking) and leave the ground straight after the match when the kids were tired and getting grumpy. The stadium was poor at EP but everything else was fairly convenient. The AJ Bell is a decent stadium but everything else is inconvenient. If you are a supporter you go no matter what. If you are a casual supporter you don’t make that extra effort to leave home over 2 hours before ko, designate a non-drinking driver, cancel the morning kids activities as they’ll need to sleep in etc, etc. And yes, it is possible to go home on the bus, drink at the food pub down the road etc but again none of this is convenient and appealing so why should more casual supporters wish to put themselves through this on a regular basis?

The club can’t help much of this but they are to blame for the lack of joined up thinking and long term approach. Historically ticketing policy and public transport have all been about short term returns when long term thinking was the only way to get attendances up. Marketing has been beyond a joke.

The club has never set up and stuck to a proper park and ride scheme located in a convenient area and with good shuttle bus links. London Irish and Worcester are good examples of out of town clubs who adopted a long term transport strategy that has over time paid dividends. Sale never wanted to invest; all transport has to pay for itself and have suffered accordingly. How many different bus routes and schemes have been tried over the years we’ve been at the AJ Bell and changed or dropped a short time later? Parking at the ground was £5 but then put up to £10 to fund the shuttle buses, which have now disappeared but the price hasn’t come back down to £5. With the new road opening soon there should be be a park and ride at the Trafford Centre which is the option which makes the most sense. Why then get rid of the shuttles now just when people were starting to get used to them? Why bring in reductions in the price to park at the ground for 4 in the car for just one season and then scrap it? Again if you have an initiative you need to stick to it long term or not bring it in at all but chopping and changing confuses and alienates. As we know, supporters will put up with it but casual rugby fans will not bother.

Marketing and ticketing has always been a joke and can be attributed to 2 main factors; the club’s database has never been up to scratch and they’ve always adopted a short term view when only a long term view will do. How much chopping and changing has there been over ticketing since we have been at the AJ Bell as each season (or even more regularly at times) new people have come in with a brief to immediately turn around the attendance problems and adopted a short term solution because they knew they wouldn’t still be in a job long term? We’ve had different prices for East and West stand seats + central & wings, replaced by the one price fits all and now it’s cheaper depending on where you sit. Kids paid then were free and are now paying again. We had the madness of Groupon offers at the end of one season making it cheaper than a season ticket at the same time as the club were launching the next year’s season tickets. Now we have a big price hike for season ticket holders despite being in a much lesser European competition and off the back of a particularly poor season on the pitch and Cat A, B and C tickets games which make some games very expensive for the more casual pick and choose fan. Making individual matches expensive pushes people to get season tickets and generates immediate upfront guaranteed income. The downside is less will pay on the gate. Despite club propaganda the Newcastle attendance made it clear there hasn't been a surge in the numbers of season tickets sold. What therefore is plan B?

The first match of the season is key to getting fans through the gate as you get them in early and they’ll come back. If not, as already mentioned by others, it becomes very easy to find something else to do with your time and money. The cards were against the club with the first match being against one of the more unfashionable teams, without many household names to get the casual excited and who play a direct game of rugby that often in the past had resulted in matches between us being ‘one for the purists’. To make matters worse it was live on TV which really meant that for the casual you’d need a reason to attend rather than a reason not to. So with all the cards against you, the club’s obvious path under the Cat A, B & C scheme should have been to make this the cheapest match of the season and hope the price would offset the negatives and bring punters in. What do Sale do? The make this the most expensive Cat A. Why would any casual fan pay top prices in the circumstances? Toulouse are coming to the AJ Bell in October. They are probably the biggest name in club rugby anywhere in the world (who admittingly had a poor season last year but still they are a name to get the casuals excited). If you want to pick and choose matches, would you pay Cat A for Newcastle or wait until Toulouse which is a cat C? Obviously you’d wait but if Sale had made the Newcastle game Cat C and more attractive, some of those who didn’t bother might have done both.

The new owners seem committed to the club and I think matters on the pitch will improve. A winning side brings people through the gate regardless of anything else. Unfortunately I see no evidence that they understand that when you have an unsuccessful team playing in a ground which is not convenient to get to you need to bend over backwards to attract people in who over time will hopefully become dedicated supporters. There is no easy fix to this and many a Sale employee has come and gone in the hunt for something which isn’t there and long term means considerable expense at the outset. Maybe the TV and corporate money is enough for it not to matter too much. Maybe the club can massage the main sponsor’s ego enough to see us play in a new, more conveniently located stadium named after his company. Maybe the regular supporter doesn’t matter for now but if they do things aren’t going to get better for the owners any time soon.

camshark
11 September, 2017 19:45
Have watched Sale for over 20 years, a season ticket holder for over 15, I can't recall such general despondency. A lot of sensible comments made by long term committed supporters.
I don't believe that there isn't a committed fan base to support rugby union in a metropolis as large as Manchester, after all rugby union has been played here since 1861. We had crowds of 10,000+ at EP, and England had great turnouts v NZ and Uruguay.
Pre season most fans felt positive, some good signings and long term contracts for the youngsters, one or two will become long term England internationals.
So what has happened ? , a home loss to Falcons who we seem to struggle against , when we were out coached and our new players did not quite gel.
Our performances on the pitch will improve.......But off the pitch it's the same old problems, traffic, car parking, lousy beer, poor entertainment, lack of shuttle buses , poor marketing, ad naseum.
The biggest frustration is that the supporter whether casual or season ticket holder is not being listened to , yes they do it right in corporate ( I've been there).
Most progressive companies listen to their customers views, and positively seek feedback on its offering.
It's time that the company board embraced the views of this thread and others were its customers have taken time out to constructively air their views on how things could be improved from the paying publics perspective.
Allegedly views have been expressed by senior club personnel that we will never get decent crowds at the AJB, that seems premature and I hope that the company board don't share these views, otherwise we are on a long slippery slope until an alternative ground is found.

Chris1850
11 September, 2017 17:23
In reality, there are various reasons why attendances are low:

1. The quality of rugby, which was poor for most of last season and has been variable over the previous few seasons. To be fair to the club, the new owners have made some commitment to improving the team/squad with some decent signings this season and the new contracts for promising academy players. We dont know how hard they have tried to sign further 'names' (both in terms of making the club attractive from a playing pov or in terms of the financial rewards on offer) but the lure of playing for Sale at the moment for big international players is somewhat less that at least half a dozen other clubs. Did we seriously expect George Ford to come for example? The only reason I can see for a big name to come is for the money, and we dont honestly know how much the new owners will commit in this respect. We need to look at the Exeter model more closely to improve the quality of rugby, I feel. Better rugby will attract bigger names and bigger crowds but it takes time.
2. Whatever the arguments for and against Friday night, Sat pm or Sun pm, all of these times have their proponents and detractors. Inevitably, some people will have a genuine problem with at least one of those times. What we really need/want is for the club to decide on a policy and then work to it. This season, it seems to be Friday nights for the start/end and then weekend afternoons in the mid-season. If thats what they feel works for them then fine, but they then have to commit to a similar schedule for the next few seasons going forward so that at least ST holders and fans in general know what to expect for the following season.
3. Access to the ground is poor and will remain so even when the new bridge opens, I suspect. It will only get worse if crowds do improve. I am sure that the club understands the issues but as M5 says above, it has to become more proactive in helping to solve them. There is little they can do about the M60 or roadworks, but they should be incentivising people that come by car to car share wherever possible. They should be looking at shuttle buses and P&R schemes from various outposts. Other suggestions have been made as well. The club needs to think outside the box in this respect
4. From my knowledge, I think the club does engage with local schools quite well. However, can they do more to encourage youngsters along? Another poster has made the point that facilities for kids at the ground are very poor and the club really ought to look at the whole matchday experience for children. To be fair, they have previously been quite good at this with face-painting/bouncy castles/half time mini games etc. Even if they have to let the children in for free en-masse, I would have absolutely no objection to this as they are the future paying supporters. We need to engage much more with the youngsters.
5. Also, to what extent do the club engage with other local rugby clubs? Not just from a playing pov but from a supporters pov. What about offering packages to local clubs - lay on a bus to & from Wilmslow RUFC for example, subsidised or even foc if they can attract 20 guys paying £30 each to come to a game. Equally, a similar initiative could be offered to local firms. Do they have a database of relevant contacts? If so, to what extent do they try to attract them. Corporate packages do not necessarily have to be £50 a pop in the upstairs lounge. I have to say that what I have seen of the clubs general marketing, it has been pretty dire
6. The matchday experience generally is not great. The club needs to understand that different people want different things, apart from the rugby. The secret is to cater for as many of those desires as possible. That includes the band, the compere to create a build up to kick off, the childrens activities, meet the players etc etc. Over the past year or so, the whole experience has gradually become more flat, I feel.

There are no doubt other reasons why attendances have fallen, some of which the club cannot influence, such as being in a big soccer/RL area. My main criticism though is that the club seems to give little obvious sign of trying to do much about this other than attracting the corporate client. Clearly, this is very important but adds little to attract the 'ordinary supporter' who creates the atmosphere.

I hope the new owners get it right as they genuinely seem to have an interest, and we should support them, but we do need them to just think a bit more about what they are doing I feel.

Tigger (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 18:22
I have made this post a sticky...we need to keep it at the top.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 18:33
That must be the longest post the board has even seen. My preference is for a weekday evening but realise a perfect date for all to attend will be impossible to find.

Great opportunity - let's not argue about it please

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 20:20
Has any thought gone in to asking those people who have cancelled/not renewed season tickets in the last 1 or 2 years? It may add a different perspective to the discussion

Basque-ing Shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 21:30
I am astonished with the omission of the SSSC or any committee member from your; "We would like to invite some of you down particularly..." invitation at the top of this thread! I hope this does not reflect the level of importance that citron sections of the Club hold for the existence of Sale Sharks Supporters Club and our involvement in any such meeting!
As per my email to you, we would like to send a couple of representatives to this and any other such meetings as we have done in the past, to represent any views and argue the case on behalf of supporters.
Am I right in assuming that any meeting at Carrington will not include either members of the Stadium or Catering staff? If so then I fear our views and arguments may be 'watered down' by the time it gets to their ears!
If a mutually convenient time can be arranged then we will be there!

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 22:02
Quote:
Basque-ing Shark
I am astonished with the omission of the SSSC or any committee member from your; "We would like to invite some of you down particularly..." invitation at the top of this thread! I hope this does not reflect the level of importance that citron sections of the Club hold for the existence of Sale Sharks Supporters Club and our involvement in any such meeting!
As per my email to you, we would like to send a couple of representatives to this and any other such meetings as we have done in the past, to represent any views and argue the case on behalf of supporters.
Am I right in assuming that any meeting at Carrington will not include either members of the Stadium or Catering staff? If so then I fear our views and arguments may be 'watered down' by the time it gets to their ears!
If a mutually convenient time can be arranged then we will be there!

Has the SSSC participated in any feedback yet this season? Either on this board or directly to Swanny?

01 October, 2017 22:26
Quote:
Gordon1974
Has any thought gone in to asking those people who have cancelled/not renewed season tickets in the last 1 or 2 years? It may add a different perspective to the discussion

That'll be me. I'm sure I won't be alone. Are you available Gordon?

01 October, 2017 22:40
Neither you personally or the SSSC were left out of the invitation Roger. I used the word particularly.....

You are more than welcome to attend and input your ideas and issues. I got your email by the way that was written very differently to the post you have made.

Anyway I started posting just after 7am nearly 16 hours ago. Thats enough of me for today, goodnight all

01 October, 2017 22:47
I really like the new marquee, but if it is to be permanent then the surface outside each entrance needs to be better than hardcore and stones.I guess heating has already been looked into too, with winter almost here. The lighting outside the ticket office is poor too meaning you have to get right up to the window to use the light from inside. The real ales are good, and the lady on the marquee bar is very chatty. Do all stadiums charge for disabled parking?

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 23:08
Quote:
Basque-ing Shark

I read Swannys post as a general 'up to 30 people' invitation. He named in particular those individuals who tend to post most frequently on this forum on matters concerning the club's infrastructure. Of course SSSC ought to have representatives attending. In fact the supporters club should be driving such a meeting rather than simply taking offence at not receiving personal invitations.

I know that Swannys party line irritates at times but the guy is employed by the club so what do people expect? At least he provides a channel of communication which few other clubs do and it is important to retain this. He was asked to facilitate a meeting. He has done this. Now let's act in good faith and see what can be achieved.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 01:59
We came, four of us, last Friday. Two are bona fide "blue badges", so we parked at the stadium. Getting there wasn't too bad at all. M53,M56,M6 and A57. The traffic on the M6 was heavy but moving at a reasonable pace (40ish). While the queue for the stadium started at about the heliport it moved pretty quickly, and there was little hold up.

The stewards were helpful and courteous. We parked about in line with the shop. No one really wanted a drink so we decided to go straight in. Now the conundrum: is the entry for our seats (west stand) left or right. The map on the ticket was totally unreadable in the light outside the stadium (and not much better in good light at home). There didn't seem to be a sign to show us which way, and, of course, we went to the right when it should have been left.

I can't say that I'm too bothered about the catering/drinking facilities at the stadium. It's not too often I use them. The one we passed in bowels of the West stand looked reasonably well staffed and stocked.

The lock-down after the game is a bit of a pain but is fully understandable as the road system stands. On a cold, wet night it might be more than a bit of a pain. Once we started moving we got away pretty quickly. It was 11:20 or so I got home.

I would say that with a 5,000 crowd travel by car to and from the stadium, coming down the A57 isn't too bad at all. I'm not sure what would happen with a 10,000+ gate, however.

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 06:49
Quote:
Strinesian Saleanian
Quote:
Gordon1974

That'll be me. I'm sure I won't be alone. Are you available Gordon?
Dependant on time/date I would certainly be interested. Myself and my wife cancelled our season tickets this year after over a decade, in my wifes case, of having them.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 08:05
Quote:
DaveAitch
We came, four of us, last Friday. Two are bona fide "blue badges", so we parked at the stadium. Getting there wasn't too bad at all. M53,M56,M6 and A57. The traffic on the M6 was heavy but moving at a reasonable pace (40ish). While the queue for the stadium started at about the heliport it moved pretty quickly, and there was little hold up.
The stewards were helpful and courteous. We parked about in line with the shop. No one really wanted a drink so we decided to go straight in. Now the conundrum: is the entry for our seats (west stand) left or right. The map on the ticket was totally unreadable in the light outside the stadium (and not much better in good light at home). There didn't seem to be a sign to show us which way, and, of course, we went to the right when it should have been left.

I can't say that I'm too bothered about the catering/drinking facilities at the stadium. It's not too often I use them. The one we passed in bowels of the West stand looked reasonably well staffed and stocked.

The lock-down after the game is a bit of a pain but is fully understandable as the road system stands. On a cold, wet night it might be more than a bit of a pain. Once we started moving we got away pretty quickly. It was 11:20 or so I got home.

I would say that with a 5,000 crowd travel by car to and from the stadium, coming down the A57 isn't too bad at all. I'm not sure what would happen with a 10,000+ gate, however.

If knowing which turnstiles to use for access is of such importance, which clearly in your position it is, then surely it makes sense to have this all worked out before leaving home? If it is unclear on the ticket, it is easy enough to work out on the website ticketing page, or failing that, an email or phone call would surely provide the requisite advice?

iBozz (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 08:21
I wasn't aware the Blue Badge parking was charged and to my mind that is totally incorrect.

The whole point of a Blue Badge is that the rightful owner doesn't have the same choice of transport as those of us who are able bodied (and able-mineded, before anyone starts raising their eyebrows on my account) and that they need to park nearer their destination than the rest of us.

They should, therefore, be able to park free and as close to their seating areas as is possible given the geography of the place

Charging for genuine Blue Badge holders is just plain wrong.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

iBozz (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:11
Quote:
emerging shark
I'm happy pop along if I can. If it's not during the day, I struggle with transport most evenings (wife hogs the car!). My only evening is Thursdays.

You have a PM, es.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:33
Quote:
Chris 1850
If knowing which turnstiles to use for access is of such importance, which clearly in your position it is, then surely it makes sense to have this all worked out before leaving home? If it is unclear on the ticket, it is easy enough to work out on the website ticketing page, or failing that, an email or phone call would surely provide the requisite advice?

Chris, there is a map on the back of the ticket. In the past it has usually been relatively easy to see from the map where one needs to go. With the current map it is not. If the club want to get people turning up everything needs to be done to make it easy for them. The map is already there, why not just make it so it can be easily read? It's simple and costs nothing to do that. We did ask one of the car park stewards, but he didn't know for sure (although he was extremely pleasant with it).

iBozz, I didn't really take in fully what Brian (whose son purchased the tickets) said on the evening - I just handed over the amount he asked for. I do seem to recall £7 getting a mention for parking.

Tigger (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:40
Quote:
iBozz
I wasn't aware the Blue Badge parking was charged and to my mind that is totally incorrect.
The whole point of a Blue Badge is that the rightful owner doesn't have the same choice of transport as those of us who are able bodied (and able-mineded, before anyone starts raising their eyebrows on my account) and that they need to park nearer their destination than the rest of us.

They should, therefore, be able to park free and as close to their seating areas as is possible given the geography of the place

Having a blue badge means you have the right to park in a disabled bay and on yellow line (for a max 3 hours iirc). You can not park anywhere and have to follow yhe regulations. It does not entitle you to free parking. This used to be the case but since private companies have taken over it is not guaranteed....

My wife is a blue badge holder and we have to pay at the hospital but not at the shopping center....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 09:41 by Tigger.

hilly07 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:42
Hi

I'd be keen - was part of the Friends group at AJ Bell so had some background in those meetings.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 09:49
Quote:
iBozz

I don't follow that logic I am afraid. I agree that appropriate spaces should be available close to the entrance but why should the facility be free when everyone else has to pay? More often than not, there will be one or more able bodied people in the vehicle as well.

Dave - in response to your point regarding the clarity of the map on the back of the ticket, I accept what you say and would hope that this is something the Club could rectify quite easily

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 13:56
It's not easy to reproduce something lifesize on a computer screen as it depends on the screen size and the number of pixels the screen is set to. The following is about correct on a 151/2 inch screen set at HD 1920x1080 (it's actually fractionally larger than the real thing*).
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4418/36740923734_24a2a90aca_m.jpg
I did scan it in higher quality (1,200 dpi) which, gives, when blown up, a very readable map. Herein is the trap that some fall into: it looks fine at A4 or even down a little from that, but scaled down to fit on the back of a ticket means that it becomes difficult to read. The final picture is roughly 40x40mms.

* Mind you they were quite big in the 1970s.

Addendum: as regards the 'blue badge' having to pay I'm probably somewhere in between the two. Maybe blue badge should be free, which additional people should be £2.50 each up to whatever is the full cost. (I could have walked the final few hundred yards to save myself that £2.50 - so perhaps it isn't really a workable solution. Besides which, I was driving!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 14:05 by DaveAitch.

Basque-ing Shark (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 16:40
A MESSAGE TO SUPPORTERS NOT ABLE TO ATTEND the Carrington meeting:

If supporters who are not able to attend the proposed meeting would like to forward by email to stadium.meeting@salesupporters.co.uk any pertinent questions that you would like to put to Dimes, the SSSC would be pleased to do this on your behalf.

We will compile a list of questions that we intend to put to Dimes at the meeting and will forwarded this to both him and Swanny prior to the meeting so that they have ample time to consult with the Stadium and/or Caterers beforehand if necessary, in the hope that we get a positive and accurate response at the meeting.

We are keen to continue to act as a voice on behalf of supporters and to represent and act on your behalf when necessary. We look forward to hearing from you.

Tigger (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 17:23
Quote:
Basque-ing Shark
If supporters who are not able to attend the proposed meeting would like to forward by email to stadium.meeting@salesupporters.co.uk any pertinent questions that you would like to put to Dimes, the SSSC would be pleased to do this on your behalf.

We will compile a list of questions that we intend to put to Dimes at the meeting and will forwarded this to both him and Swanny prior to the meeting so that they have ample time to consult with the Stadium and/or Caterers beforehand if necessary, in the hope that we get a positive and accurate response at the meeting.

We are keen to continue to act as a voice on behalf of supporters and to represent and act on your behalf when necessary. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sorry but why are you opening another channel of communication? Let's keep it in one place please.

I presume you have had conversations with the club and stadium about supporters issues already so let's not dilute the issues of supporters by putting them in two different locations...

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 17:50
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
Basque-ing Shark

Sorry but why are you opening another channel of communication? Let's keep it in one place please.

I presume you have had conversations with the club and stadium about supporters issues already so let's not dilute the issues of supporters by putting them in two different locations...

Has the SSSC participated in any feedback yet this season? Either on this board or directly to Swanny?

Tigger (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 17:59
Quote:
M5 Shark
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
Basque-ing Shark

The SSSC were formed many years ago...well some time ago...to facilitate communication between club and supporters. As I have posted previously under Ann then Graeme they were very much involved with supporter issues. I haven't been a member for a while so have lost touch but I am sure they have been involved with any issues re supporters problems.

02 October, 2017 18:48
There is a big sign post on the tarmac'd area if you walk from the old fans bar to the south stand with info on stands and blocks on it, I watched a bloke walk straight into it last Friday night as he was too busy on his mobile.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 19:35
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
M5 Shark
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
Basque-ing Shark

The SSSC were formed many years ago...well some time ago...to facilitate communication between club and supporters. As I have posted previously under Ann then Graeme they were very much involved with supporter issues. I haven't been a member for a while so have lost touch but I am sure they have been involved with any issues re supporters problems.

I am sure the SSSC have helped supporters in so many ways in the past. I remember Ann helping me find accommodation in Paris for the Stade Francais game many years ago (2007?).
And they have previously challenged the club on many occasions too.

However my question is, this season has seen hundreds of messages on this board related to "Matchday Experience". Supporters have asked Swanny for a forum to discuss these issues which he is organising. These issues should be constantly raised by SSSC if they feel strongly about them, not wait until fans on a messageboard gather pace and then get upset when Swanny does not specifically name them in a list of "fans he would like to see present". And then ask for questions to be directed to them rather than a Mod's request that issues be listed here.

Tigger (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:06
Quote:
M5 Shark
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
M5 Shark
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
Basque-ing Shark

I am sure the SSSC have helped supporters in so many ways in the past. I remember Ann helping me find accommodation in Paris for the Stade Francais game many years ago (2007?).

However my question is, this season has seen hundreds of messages on this board related to "Matchday Experience". Supporters have asked Swanny for a forum to discuss these issues which he is organising. These issues should be constantly raised by SSSC if they feel strongly about them, not wait until fans on a messageboard gather pace and then get upset when Swanny does not specifically name them in a list of "fans he would like to see present". And then ask for questions to be directed to them rather than a Mod's request that issues be listed here.

I will leave the SSSC to answer your question.

Like you I remember the beginning of the supporters club and they helped me to get to many away games. They were also very active in tackling the club on any issues and problems. I then became an independent traveller along with friends I met on the fun bus.

Moving forward this is a question posed by the club to members of an independent message board of both the club AND SSSC. If members of the supporters club want to get involved then I believe it should be as individual supporters and not as the supporters club.

I am sure if they don't agree with this they have there own access to the club and management to bring up the issues that have been highlighted by this forum.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:18
Quote:
M5 Shark
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
M5 Shark
Quote:
Tigger
Quote:
Basque-ing Shark

I can't agree more with M5 Shark. Whilst I don't want to be seen as having a pop at the SSSC I really don't think it's appropriate for the SSSC to jump on the case and start collating lists of supporters concerns. With due respect to them, and Graeme B pointed this out recently, shouldn't the SSSC have been taking the club to task on all these issues before, I mean that's what it's their for isn't it. The club have offered a meeting through the pressure applied from this board, no disrespect but it wasn't an SSSC initiative. They weren't named in the initial invite and from that I would say that's reflective of where the club see them. However, they of course would be more than welcome to attend any meeting, I'm sure they will have a valued input.

Bull Shark (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:30
I attended the original AJ Bell meetings with Sandra as the SSSC representatives. Our views were listened to and acted or not acted on in the same way as the others at the meeting and held the same weight. After the summer events I stepped down from the SSSC committee so I'll attend these meetings as an individual but I would welcome the SSSC being involved. This forum drove the club to agree to a meeting but problems go well beyond the confines of our board and the SSSC has a different reach with its members, newsletter subscribers and social media followers. To seek to restrict this to just this forum would be wrong in my opinion.
Only 30 can attend (although experience tells me 30 wont) but it would be good if we can collect thoughts from as wide our fan base as possible so the club are made to see this isnt just about a few message board moaners or cranks (which i know has been their attitude in the past).

Tigger (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:47
Quote:
Bull Shark
I attended the original AJ Bell meetings with Sandra as the SSSC representatives. Our views were listened to and acted or not acted on in the same way as the others at the meeting and held the same weight. After the summer events I stepped down from the SSSC committee so I'll attend these meetings as an individual but I would welcome the SSSC being involved. This forum drove the club to agree to a meeting but problems go well beyond the confines of our board and the SSSC has a different reach with its members, newsletter subscribers and social media followers. To seek to restrict this to just this forum would be wrong in my opinion.
Only 30 can attend (although experience tells me 30 wont) but it would be good if we can collect thoughts from as wide our fan base as possible so the club are made to see this isnt just about a few message board moaners or cranks (which i know has been their attitude in the past).

No one is restricting this meeting to forum members...but it was addressed to an independent message board. As stated the SSSC will have there own access to the club to address the issues been raised by this forum.

So either the club isn't listening to the SSSC or they haven't been raised.

This meeting is for supporters and not the SSSC. Any questions if you can not attend should be sent to Swanny. If the SSSC want to arrange their own meeting then fair enough. But for the SSSC to jump into this issue after the fact is wrong.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 21:06
Does it really matter who asks the questions? What is more important is that somebody takes full and comprehensive minutes detailing the questions asked and the responses and then posts these on this forum and circulates them by email to SSSC members, for information.

Tigger (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 21:17
Quote:
Chris1850
Does it really matter who asks the questions? What is more important is that somebody takes full and comprehensive minutes detailing the questions asked and the responses and then posts these on this forum and circulates them by email to SSSC members, for information.

100% agree.

There have been many posts over the years about this forum bring independent.

Independent of the club.

Independent of the supporters club.

The offer was posted on this forum. Who ever asks the questions does not matter. As long as the questions are asked.

But this is not a SSSC initiative. Maybe it should have been.

This is actually a club initiative....and shouldn't be wasted....if anything comes from it remains to be seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 22:29 by Tigger.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 02:23
Tigger, don't turn this forum and the SSSC into an us and them. Remember what that third 'S' stands for. Divide the groups and you will achieve nothing. The SSSC only has a small fraction of all supporters as members, this forum a miniscule fraction. This initiative is seemingly to address stadium issues in the main, the stadium only cares about one thing. Supporters and the club need to convince the stadium that not listening will affect their bottom line, you need numbers to do that.

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

HaleShark (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 08:18
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Tigger, don't turn this forum and the SSSC into an us and them. Remember what that third 'S' stands for. Divide the groups and you will achieve nothing. The SSSC only has a small fraction of all supporters as members, this forum a miniscule fraction. This initiative is seemingly to address stadium issues in the main, the stadium only cares about one thing. Supporters and the club need to convince the stadium that not listening will affect their bottom line, you need numbers to do that.

Agree, but to be fair that won't be Tiggers intentions either I'm sure. However, this board is read by a lot of people I would imagine more people see these communications than anything the SSSC publishes. I think what irked Tigger, as much as it did me and M5 Shark was someone from the SSSC jumping on the band wagon and trying to take control. Maybe that was because they felt their position was under threat. However as you rightly say we don't want division and for me anyone from the SSSC should be at the meeting.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 08:28
The more opinions the better as far as I am concerned.
My point is that as an established org, the SSSC should be all over these sort of issues (representing their members), not just when an independent message board gains an audience with the club

ale shark (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 08:48
Tigger, I'm not sure what your agender is in terms of trying to control this message board and dominate discussions to ensure they’re held in a manner which you personally believe to be correct. I don’t believe that is within the remit of your role as a moderator. Are you planning on printing out this thread and going through each and every point at the meeting?

Perhaps it would be more useful if the SSSC could email/newsletter their membership (which is presumably more wide-reaching than this message board) telling them that they'll be sending a representative to this meeting and they'd be happy to table any questions regarding all and any matchday/stadium aspects that the members would like to submit.

As pointed out above a meeting with just Dimes and Swanny will serve no real purpose in terms of expressing to the Stadium/Catering management just how much dissatisfaction there is amongst their customers. They need to see it for real to fully to understand the frustrations experienced each and every time there’s a match, not just get feedback from their tenants which presumably they’ve been getting 30-40 times a year for five years and done next to nothing about.

I have no idea if Salford Red Devils have a supporter liaison group but perhaps it would be useful to get them along as well to reinforce the point that the stadium management are simply not enabling their tenants to deliver a decent matchday experience.

03 October, 2017 09:03
The franchise is seriously concerned about the poor attendance figures as it can't lose money as Dimes has said publicly. Many of the posters invited have attended various fora concerned with stadium issues going back to EP days or have put forward suggestions directly to Swanny about improving the matchday experience in the perhaps forlorn hope of increasing bums on seats over the season as a whole.

SSSC was created initially to solve transport issues to away games after a c0ckup by the business iirc and operates travel to away games and organises monthly meetings. It has been reported by many posters that CE took up some issues at EP with the previous business owners.

Fwiw I believe that whilst many posters on here have issues with the stadium's management it hasn't been obvious to me as a member that the SSSC has any issues with the stadium's management.

Tigger (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 09:25
Poynters...a few years back this message board went into melt down when it seemed that the club and SSSC were seen to be trying to 'contol' this board and discussions. It was pointed out ad nauseum that this was an independent board and nothing to do with supporters club or club.

Ale shark....'of trying to control this message board and dominate discussions to ensure they’re held in a manner which you personally believe to be correct.'.....I moderate the board. I asked for this one post to be kept on topic. You don't like it apply to become a moderator. I have as much a right to opinion as you...just because I am a moderator doesn't change my opinion.

As M5 and Haleshark have said and I agree with...the SSSC should be all over these issues...and they have only jumped on board once a meeting was announced...why not before?

Tigger (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 09:44
One final point...sorry to go on...just in case you have forgotten.

This is me talking and posting as a poster with his own opinions.

<ed> this is me posting as a moderator and is an instruction<ed/>

03 October, 2017 10:47
The main reason for the forum is to sort out the issues raised on the messageboard and we need to be the ONLY point of contact. We don't want to be accused of editing the questions people raise or not dealing with them. It has to be totally transparent. We would also like to those attending to let us know their messageboard logging in name so that we can work from their postings and get things sorted out. For anyone who can't attend we also intend streaming the event on the messageboard and other social media outlets. This way it makes sure that no one is left out.

03 October, 2017 10:54
Quote:
SwannyMediaMan
For anyone who can't attend we also intend streaming the event on the messageboard and other social media outlets. This way it makes sure that no one is left out.

Excellent idea.

03 October, 2017 11:18
I know that Swannys party line irritates at times but the guy is employed by the club so what do people expect? At least he provides a channel of communication which few other clubs do and it is important to retain this. He was asked to facilitate a meeting. He has done this. Now let's act in good faith and see what can be achieved. (Sm152) here here
Can I make a couple of points please:
1) Why is there a need to collate questions at all in advance and through the SSSC? Surely we can sit and discuss the issues as they arise.
2) if topics are to be restricted then I'm out. I can fully understand if Dimes and Swanny don't want to discuss what might be construed as sensitive issues and of course they can easily say so at the time if one arises.
3) The running of a sports stadium/facility is not rocket science and I'm baffled as to why the stadium operators need our input so far down the line. There are many stadiums out there where they can visit and glean ideas. I should know...

rossett shark (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 12:34
One thing which hasn't been mentioned on this forum was an item in an e-mail newsletter from the club.

"A NEW ROAD IS COMING...

There isn't long left until the new bridge connecting the Trafford Centre to the AJ Bell is completed! We're excited as it means fans will have better access than ever. The club will be providing shuttle buses to continually pick up and drop off any spectators that wish to park at the shopping centre. The road can also be walked in under 15 minutes once parked at the Trafford Centre. "

So sounds like the shuttles will be starting again. Questions for Swanny/Dimes
Are the shuttles going to be continuous as it suggests or fixed times as they were previously?
Will they be free?
Do you have to pre-book?
Could a bus shelter be provided at the AJ Bell for those waiting in the inevitable rain?

I think a well run, well advertised and frequent shuttle service from the TC will be a key facilitator in increasing crowds, but I do believe that it should be made easy for people to use, i.e.
Just turn up at the TC between whatever times advertised and get the next bus.
Pay on the bus (assuming there is a charge)
Know that the shuttles will run until x o'clock after the match & if that demand is high that the shuttle will run longer until the queue at the bus stop has gone.

I might add that there is no self interest in this post as I come from the west and park in the layby but I do want the club to have bigger crowds so that we can hopefully invest more to improve the team further.

03 October, 2017 12:58
As I'm sure SSSC will tell you hiring transport from companies is very expensive. The fortnightly 4 hour (2 not in use) pattern is not attractive. The franchise does have minibuses taxed, insured for public use and are parked at the AJB on match days. For fans the shuttles need to be run ad hoc.

Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 13:02
Like ES, I applaud the initiative. Hopefully a number of issues will be resolved or at least clear explanations given.

Just one thought. I think it is accepted the number of users of the forum is small, as is the membership of the SSSC. To ensure a full cross section of Sharks supporters, could notice of the meeting be put on the official site? Or regular game attendees telephoned and invited? A couple of initial questions would quickly determine whether they are aware of the forum or members of the SSSC.

There may be a lot of supporters out there who are more than happy with the beer, access to the stadium, catering etc but will still have a lot to offer.

M5 Shark (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 13:49
Quote:
rossett shark
One thing which hasn't been mentioned on this forum was an item in an e-mail newsletter from the club.
"A NEW ROAD IS COMING...

There isn't long left until the new bridge connecting the Trafford Centre to the AJ Bell is completed! We're excited as it means fans will have better access than ever. The club will be providing shuttle buses to continually pick up and drop off any spectators that wish to park at the shopping centre. The road can also be walked in under 15 minutes once parked at the Trafford Centre. "

So sounds like the shuttles will be starting again. Questions for Swanny/Dimes
Are the shuttles going to be continuous as it suggests or fixed times as they were previously?
Will they be free?
Do you have to pre-book?
Could a bus shelter be provided at the AJ Bell for those waiting in the inevitable rain?

I think a well run, well advertised and frequent shuttle service from the TC will be a key facilitator in increasing crowds, but I do believe that it should be made easy for people to use, i.e.
Just turn up at the TC between whatever times advertised and get the next bus.
Pay on the bus (assuming there is a charge)
Know that the shuttles will run until x o'clock after the match & if that demand is high that the shuttle will run longer until the queue at the bus stop has gone.

I might add that there is no self interest in this post as I come from the west and park in the layby but I do want the club to have bigger crowds so that we can hopefully invest more to improve the team further.

That sound a really promising initiative from the club. I didn't receive this email, has anyone got a date received?

03 October, 2017 14:09
28/09/2017 - "Shark Bite 4 - O'Connor is in! Gloucester preview and an England selections"

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 16:53
Tigger, those accusations a few years ago were not concerned with this board, rather that the SSSC was being controlled by the club. I am well aware of the incident, being an SSSC committee member at the time.

My point was that rather than worrying about who should be seen to be collecting questions, or whose initiative it was (to be picky the initiative was all Swanny's) just get input from as many people as possible in whatever manner possible and ensure it is all presented in some form at the meeting.

I doubt very much that more Sale supporters read these boards than are reached by SSSC communications, but the main point is that both reach only a small proportion. Timperley's idea of communicating to the wider audience is an excellent one.

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 17:05
This seems like a great idea; and having those who regularly post representing those of us that post less frequently can prevent a potential "too many cooks" situation. I personally feel that the Club needs to work on its communication with fans regarding the stadium situation i.e road works on match days, schedule for developments, parking arrangements. I receive more emails from Newcastle Falcons regarding their stadium situation than ours and at least they own the site!

Re the match day experience. Having been to matches at EP and AJB the significant difference between the two has been the travel to and from, however, that increased access is being sought and the car parking situation continues to improve (maybe not at the speed we would all like but it is speeding up). Besides that the match day experience has not significantly improved; despite the stadium being of greater quality, the food and rink on offer and the waiting times I feel have not progressed as hoped. A solution to this maybe temporarily reducing the variety of snacks on offer until all staff are quick and efficient which will then allow new options to be added further down the line.

On a slightly side note the atmosphere could be improved if members of clubs could be directed towards areas where others from their club have bought tickets. Yes this counters rugby traditions with all fans mixing no matter the background or perspective; but I am not talking about segregation. Simply if fans from say Manchester Rugby Club bought tickets grouping them together, allowing people to be around familiar faces will encourage those newer attendees to come again as the whole occasion becomes more a social gathering with an event rather than a simple event. How this is done would be up to SS, however, a fairly simple way would be to ask supporters buying tickets and if they don't have a particular club or simply don't know as they are buying tickets for someone else then that isn't a problem, sit them amongst anyone. Let's develop pockets of fans, bunched together who will also sing and chant and generate some atmosphere rather than dispersing fans across a greater space. If you look at, all be it larger stadiums, such as Wasps and LI then you see that sections are not allocated for fans to sit in. Obviously we don't have the capacity to necessarily do that but what is the sense of having 25 people in one corner, 200 on the half way line, 70 on one 22 line and 50 in the other corner when they could all be sat closer together to at least make the ground look more full!

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 17:08
I suspect that the Club itself has the widest database. IF they could be persuaded to circulate a relevant email, that would, I am sure, yield the most pertinent views of all manner of topics

03 October, 2017 19:09
Besides that the match day experience has not significantly improved;
Of course NM, the 'match day experience' is subjective depending on your expectations.
My match day experience last Friday was up near the top..

Tigger (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 19:16
Just out of interest how many people do you think read the posts on this message board?

Even if you allow for the fact that regular posters may click on a thread 10/20/50/100 times we still can get thousands of views on some topics...so do not discount this forum as unimportant....

HaleShark (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 08:35
Quote:
PoyntonShark
Tigger, those accusations a few years ago were not concerned with this board, rather that the SSSC was being controlled by the club. I am well aware of the incident, being an SSSC committee member at the time.
My point was that rather than worrying about who should be seen to be collecting questions, or whose initiative it was (to be picky the initiative was all Swanny's) just get input from as many people as possible in whatever manner possible and ensure it is all presented in some form at the meeting.

I doubt very much that more Sale supporters read these boards than are reached by SSSC communications, but the main point is that both reach only a small proportion. Timperley's idea of communicating to the wider audience is an excellent one.

I'll have to disagree with a couple of your points, Poynters.

Whilst Swanny offered a meet to meet the fans in his open invitation, leading up to that moment myself and M5 Shark both suggested a get together with the club.

I suggest the exact reverse of who has the wider communication. The SSSC will only communicate with their membership group, but this board is widely read and evidence of that is the amount of hits the threads get. A small number of people post messages but a lot of people follow the comments.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 09:16
Quote:
HaleShark
Quote:
PoyntonShark

I'll have to disagree with a couple of your points, Poynters.

Whilst Swanny offered a meet to meet the fans in his open invitation, leading up to that moment myself and M5 Shark both suggested a get together with the club.

I suggest the exact reverse of who has the wider communication. The SSSC will only communicate with their membership group, but this board is widely read and evidence of that is the amount of hits the threads get. A small number of people post messages but a lot of people follow the comments.

What is important is to communicate to as wide an audience as possible. That means the readers of this forum PLUS the SSSC members PLUS the Clubs data base. It is also important to encourage as much feedback as possible from all sources. It is not enough just to communicate the results of any meeting. All parties should be canvassing opinions in advance on the range of topics to be discussed. To avoid the initiative becoming over complicated, it should be made explicitly clear that team recruitment and playing issues are not on the agenda. The whole purpose of the meeting is to identify 'match experience' issues and seek suggestions for improving this and thereby encouraging more people to attend.

That's my view anyway!

04 October, 2017 09:50
Swanny - hire a bigger room!

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 12:50
It may useful to draw up a bullet point list of topics everyone wants to discuss.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 21:06
Back on after a few days off and I'll happily provide my real name to match my forum name if I'm able to attend.

Are we going to try and fix a date soon or have I missed it? We can continue to work out what's being discussed and what outcomes we are going for but the sooner we can pick a date that suits the majority, the better.

Realistically, I will struggle to make a weekday evening before 645pm by the time i can get back from work and set out for Carrington, particularly with the shambles that is traffic in Wilmslow and Handforth currently. (A Council in its wisdom launching up to 5 sets of concurrent roadworks that basically hamper every single route in or out!). I would of course try to find a way to make it earlier if possible.

Would it also be sensible to assume that the week of home fixtures would be better than away ones in terms of availability of Dimes/Swanny?

05 October, 2017 22:48
Quote:
Are we going to try and fix a date soon or have I missed it? We can continue to work out what's being discussed and what outcomes we are going for but the sooner we can pick a date that suits the majority, the better.

Agreed. As host I think it's Swanny's call. There will be no date which will suit all posters, but he and Dimes have to be available for selection.

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 07:12
Will anyone from the non playing side (aside from swanny) be in attendance, eg one the owners or senior directors

06 October, 2017 08:09
Quote:
Gordon1974
Will anyone from the non playing side (aside from swanny) be in attendance, eg one the owners or senior directors

Dimes, if he attends.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 08:14
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Quote:
Gordon1974

Dimes, if he attends.

Why do you doubt that he will be there, given Swannys original post?

06 October, 2017 09:48
There have been quite a few SSSC meetings advertised having Dimes when circumstances dictated he didn't attend. He's a busy bloke.

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:38
Quote:
Mrs Trellis of North Wales
Quote:
Gordon1974

Dimes, if he attends.

Dimes represents the playing side. It would be useful to have a another senior director exclusively from the non playing side.

ale shark (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:04
The fact that the stadium and catering management are either unwilling to attend or not invited kind of says it all. After all, it's not like they're the ones who would directly profit from offering an enhanced consumer experience from their refreshment outlets and getting us to spend more/some money inside the ABJ. There are so many people who simply don’t spend anything inside the ground, I even witnessed someone eating a bag of salad in the ground last week.

Bridge or no bridge the menu is still going to be limp microwaved hotdogs or a soggy pie.

Nothing will improve until these people do something about it, Swanny and Dimes know how pee’d off we all are so what’s going to improve by telling SS the same stuff that we’ve told them for 5 seasons?

06 October, 2017 11:05
Afaiui the meeting is to gather concerns on the matchday experience where responsibility lies with the stadium management eg f&b on sale, stewarding, etc. etc. These issues and possible solutions identified will be passed to the stadium management by Dimes.

ale shark (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:19
So the same people can tell the same people the same stuff that they've told them for 5 years and then decide to do nothing. This is why the world ends up with cr@p like Brexit and Trump.

Prop at Work (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 15:52
This thread is so amusing in so many ways.

nicsue (IP Logged)
10 October, 2017 23:14
Quote:
ale shark
I even witnessed someone eating a bag of salad in the ground last week.

The world has gone mad I tell you, mad!

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 19:14
Is this any closet to being organised?

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 21:18
Quote:
Gordon1974
Is this any closet to being organised?

Doesn't seem so - it's 8 days since my post asking if a date could be alighted on.

Gordon1974 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 22:00
It will be disappointing if it doesn't happen....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net