rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Player Strike
franknfurter (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 00:30
Headline on BBC Sport:
Rob Andrew: Player strike over season extension is 'feasible'

Can't these players/athletes get over themselves and get on with the job?

People who actually 'work' for a living and get paid considerably less have on average 5 weeks holiday a year, but that 5 weeks is not in a 'block'

And before people jump on the physical/injury/training regime, there are thousands of people who work in physically demanding jobs.

Re: Player Strike
PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 02:53
Very, very few occupations that put a body through the same kind of demands as Rugby. Practically all that have high levels of risk and severe physical demands are very well paid and have restrictions on the amount of work that can be undertaken. Talk of strikes sounds OTT, but history shows that many of those who hold players' contracts have little regard for their welfare. I am sure every avenue of dialogue will be explored first but strike may be the only option that makes the paymasters listen.

There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - R.I.P. Dickie Jeeps 25/11/1931 - 08/10/2016

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 08:19
Aside from the player welfare issue, there is far too much of most sports imo. These days the 'close season' for rugby, football, tennis, golf etc is far too short resulting in player burnout generally. Globalisation and TV are the main drivers of this and have led to far too many meaningless games and competitions in most sports.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 10:00
Quote:
franknfurter
Headline on BBC Sport:

People who actually 'work' for a living and get paid considerably less have on average 5 weeks holiday a year, but that 5 weeks is not in a 'block'

And before people jump on the physical/injury/training regime, there are thousands of people who work in physically demanding jobs.

You're so wide of the mark it's almost laughable (or are you just on a wind-up)

Playing premiership rugby is akin to being involved in a serious car accident every week. Read this interesting article and Dan Cole explains the post-match effect on his body every week. [www.bbc.co.uk]

I think we've possibly arrived at the tipping point in the sport, this season maybe the watershed. The game has to think very carefully how it moves forward, without the players the game is nothing.

All premiership clubs need vastly larger squads to allow for injuries and rotation of players to allow their bodies to recover. No easy solution to this when you consider the obvious restrictions of salary cap, some clubs just wouldn't have he finances and the availability of premiership quality players in such large numbers.

Tigger (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 10:36
The one thing that hasn't been mentioned in all this is money and TV rights. We have both Wasps and Toulouse on very short turn arounds this coming weekend.
Then you have Sale with a very small squad to keep the club viable when it comes to the costs of running the club...which then leads to players potentially playing with 'niggles'.
The sheer physicality of the players has changed over the years as well...there is no easy answers and I believe that this 'threat' is more to highlight to the owners and powers that run the game not to forget that the players need to be included in any discussions on the game.

One other thing Haleshark...

Quote:
I think we've possibly arrived at the tipping point in the sport

Unfortunate choice of phrase...I am sure that that is now illegal and is a red/yellow card...winking smileywinking smileywinking smileywinking smileywinking smileywinking smiley

PLEASE NOTE THE ABOVE POST IS ME POSTING AS A POSTER NOT A MODERATOR AND IT SHOULD NOT BE INFERRED THAT I AM TRYING TO IN ANY WAY MODERATE THIS THREAD WITH MY PERSONAL COMMENT.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:38
Yeah, Freddie Burns found out reaching the tipping point on Saturday cost him dearly. smiling smiley

clutch (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 12:40
Another factor is the entertainment factor.
Fans pay to come and see the superstars, and that attracts the sponsors etc. Doesn't work when they are crocked. Within other physical jobs I'm pretty sure that a customer wouldn't refuse to buy a product because labourer Dave was off injured.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 13:27
I agree with all points of view so far.

Has anyone ever done a rundown on the numbers injured training as against during games? I'm not sure they are far off parity, so why not have the starts play more but train less?

While I don't disagree with "fans come to see superstars", the truth is that at any one time, as well as those crocked, there are some banned and others being rested. Gone are the days when teams would play their first choice line up, and if you went to watch you could be sure of seeing all the big names. The Anglo-Welsh has always suffered because of the resting principle. Is it any wonder that its gates suffer.

The problem always is how much rugby is the right amount? Clubs and players will always argue they are playing too much but most are perfectly happy to take the extra cash when the offer comes along. One or two, such as Billy Vunipola, have said they would take a cut in wages to play less but I bet, when push comes to shove, it would remain as just one or two in that camp.

Anyway, forget the players for the moment and think about the spectators. Who wants to see rugby games all year round? The old break between May and September was good as both a player and a spectator. Training, even, shouldn't start until a few days before the first game, or preferably just after it (if at all). Sport should be for enjoyment but the whole thing has become more pressurised at all levels, and grass roots social rugby has all but died as a result.

Yonah (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 13:36

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 15:22
Quote:
franknfurter
Headline on BBC Sport:

Brilliant! Thanks for the laugh.

12 October, 2017 15:53
Many players have said they like the off season break of a month or so before pre-season begins.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8657/27965002623_47115a2ac7_t.jpg

BasilBullneck (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 18:28
From the extracts I have read of Andrew's book, I suspect he is being deliberately provocative. I suspect he needs to be because otherwise I would struggle to see many people buying "Squeaky"'s book. He is - and rightly so as an administrator - much reviled within the rugby community.

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 21:33
Author provocative to sell a book. Who would have thought it?

iBozz (IP Logged)
12 October, 2017 22:45
Quote:
clutch
Fans pay to come and see the superstars ...

Fair weather fans might, but you can't rely on fair weather fans for a Club to survive, You need to build a base of supporters who come to see the Club, through thick and thin (and believe me, SFC have had both in the time I've been a Member!) and not drift away because the Club either have no or have few superstars or are going through a bad patch.

Supporters go to be entertained and that is why "win at all costs no matter how ugly" rugby doesn't attract supporters who will come for the long haul.

Of course I'd rather we won games, and obviously you can't lose them all and stay viable, but I recall the Leicester v Sale Pilkington final at HQ in May 1997 where Leicester beat us 9 - 3. It was the most tediously boring game I have ever seen and I'd rather we had lost 50 - 3 yet seen entertaining rugby. Even the Leicester supporters next to whom I sat said they'd rather Sale had won an entertaining game rather than them win what was a horrendous borefest.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

franknfurter (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 02:20
(Sm14)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net