rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Springbok, Rohan JVR to Join Sale for 3 Months
DT_Nicoll (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 12:33
Just seen this on SA Rugby Mag.

Looks a decent signing.

Re: Springbok, Rohan JVR to Join Sale for 3 Months
clutch (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 12:38
He looks MASSIVE!!

I'm not a massive fan in bringing in short term class unless we can potentially sign him. It can potentially cause disruption and means that we will have to change centre partnerhips for a few months, when at this moment in time we need stability to get used to Faff and O Connor chaos.

Having said that, being more glass half full he's a good person for Jennings to feed off. Literally, so Jennings can become that big!!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 12:45
I guess we were looking at him and Kuridrani. He would be available now, and more likely the cheaper of the two.

FWIW, I think we do need short term help here, because Addison should continue to focus on being the best back 3 player he can be without having to be a jack of all trades and increasing his injury risk in the centres.

I find it v surprising that this news is published in this 'done deal, names named' fashion, when the club has set its alarm clock for tomorrow. I expect another stadium ban is in the offing for Craig, who is smart enough to withold his surname.

Crutch (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 13:14
Can he play second row??

Olyy (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 13:18
Excellent signing!

Shame we can only pinch him for 3months, can't see him leaving SA before the world cup, but should add a bit of punch to the midfield!

Wonder if Faf gets a percentage of his salary as a finders fee? grinning smiley

Edit: Just tried to find him on twitter to follow him and the site is absolutely full of Bok fans saying how much they wish he was on the tour/starting for the Boks. Always a good sign!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2017 13:20 by Olyy.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:19
Good player, but it's a pity that our home-grown centres James and Jennings, and for that matter our whole backline, are now less likely to have a slightly longer period to bed in together and develope even more understanding, before the inevitable disruption a new player brings.
Seems likely we will mostly revert to simple boshing plays up the 12 channel .

Having posted that the article doesn't really indicate when he is due to start: but I know their season starts in late February implying he should be here within a fortnight.

stevene (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:28
good signing and should provide us with more depth until leota is fit. would imagine we will be after an inside centre for next season with leota out of contract in the summer.

i agree it does limit Jennings somewhat at inside centre however I don't think James/ Addison can play together currently and therefore Sam is probably best at outside centre for now.

I can see addison either at full back or outside centre (rotating with James) for a while.

only worry is he seems a bit injury prone himself (considering he is only here for 3 months).

clutch (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:29
That's what I said HsD!!!!

Jennings is a bosher and he will replace him. As MartWhit says we do need cover. The question is do you sign a 1st choice player of an Andrew Higgins to cover. Having had time to think of it I think it's great. If he's a class act Jennings can learn from him.

Plus, we are aiming for top 4. Jennings isn't a top 4 centre. Maybe this guy can help push him to that level.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:40
I havent seen enough of RJVR, as he's going to have to be called , to have a strong opinion.

However, he's just about the right calibre of signing. To me its unarguable that we need someone here. It is correct that it will limit Jennings's appearances somewhat, but surely thats a good thing for all concerned including Mark J.
- He cant and shouldnt play every week, no-one should
- He should welcome the competition
- and the opportunity to see what he can learn from a Super rugby player

The squad needs appropriate depth, and this brings it without forcing Addison to the centres or without leaving Leota out on a limb when he's ready to return.

The key to the success ro otherwise of the move is that selection remains a fair and open process. RJVR has to earn the starting spot ahead of Jennings for the key games. If he's given it because he's the 'name', then it will backfire. I guess what I'm alluding to is that I hope its a fair contest. I'm not sure that's been the case for AJ with JOC so far.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:41
I'm not so sure you can necessarily learn that much from a player in 3 months.
It took more than a season for our backs to come cloe to understanding what Cips was going to do! Let alone learn anything from him! and Cips stayed late and tried to assist and integrate as much as he could.(Sm85)

Used wisely the Bocce can almost certainly do a job, but thrown straight in, he may just cause disruption and loss of fluidity in attack. Will need careful handling. He needs to be told he's here to coach and bring fresh ideas, as much as to play.

23Shark (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:42
http://www.salesharks.com/news/5591.php#.Wgm0P8Zl9PY

Officially announced by the club already!

MartWhit (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 14:47
FWIW, I think Jennings has added a fair bit to his game and cant fairly be described as a bosher anymore. His passing game is already superior to Sam T and probably leota too.

stevene (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 15:13
Van Rensberg isnt just a bosh centre. has good hands from what I have seen.

our back play, even with jennings in, has often been too lateral to date. hopefully this will be a short term fix. In regard to Jennings if he doesnt learn from a player who would be in the SA touring squad bar late season injury by training with him for 3 months then I am sure he would be disappointed.

I have no doubt will be looking for an inside centre come transfer silly season in January so he is going to have more competition regardless. Leota is no spring chicken (34 in January) in rugby terms and therefore whilst I hope he sticks around next year (been a great club servant) I think, like Seymour, he will see less playing time as time progresses.

Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 15:31
Looks great

As much as I really want to see Jennings/James be our permanent 12/13 combo - the battering the lads get especially Jennings who loves the contact - this can only be a good thing and allow rotation and even bringing a player off after 50-60 mins and replacing them on the field with quality!

thekeg (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 16:23
Any decent side needs at least two options across the park, with Leota out for what appears to be the long term we only have Jennings. Jennings doesn’t have the best record with injuries so I think the two of them sharing game time will work well. Seems like an ideal option in the circumstances

2007dwain (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 16:54
That’s great BUT we need a prop and second row more

ashtonshark (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 17:04
Blimey he's a big chap! Can he fill our prop vacancy when he's not playing centre?

Crutch (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 17:11
Is Jennings going to learn to be 17 stone?!?...

I'd argue that what Jennings needs most is to make better decisions, he's at his best when there's no option but to take it in hard. When he has time to decide to run, pass or kick it he often chooses the wrong option (same could be said for Haley).

Hopefully the fact that RJVR has played outside Faf before will help him to settle quickly, and as I noted on the Yarde signing, the press of bringing in a player like this can only help with our pursuit of a prop/2nd row.

Olyy (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 17:21
I hope Rohan does the speeches before the games

Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered, a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Monty9 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 17:23
I can't see this signing been anything other than beneficial... He certainly adds more quality and depth to the team, even if it's just for 3 months if he helps us push further up the league then that could have a lasting effect by helping to sign even more quality. He would get into most if not all Prem teams based on what I have seen, more press more people taking note of what we are doing. Good times

How many of our last 7 or 8 signings have been tier 1 internationals? Next 2/3 in the forwards of siimilar level, now that's an exciting prospect.

Hirdyshark (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 19:06
This guy is an immense player, I was massively impressed with him in super rugby last year. Just an absolute battering ram. To me, this can only be a good thing as RJVR will bring much-needed depth and a bit of dog to the backline. Even if just for 3 months, Jennings will benefit hugely in the long term. If we can bring Mostert into the second row too then the signs look very positive.

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 19:14
Pukka signing, the guys a weapon...he'll def add something to your team.

Things going in the right direction in terms of recruitment...

clutch (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 20:44
He looks like more than a bosher from the albeit edited highlights package on YouTube. Jennings doesn't have better hands than Leota and saying he has better hands than Sam is hardly a complement. I like Jennings and I've enjoyed his improvement this season but we have to face facts that some of the younger players may be usurped by star signings. As long as he earns the shirt as discussed that is fine. We have to face facts that although we have talented youngsters not all will be good enough to be starting for a top 4 team. Some may not be good enough to be first reserve. As much as we want a team of 100% academy it isn't realistic.

As for the Cips bedding in. I disagree re taking a year. For the first season we were faffing about with Macleod at 10 at the start which didn't work and Mitchell took a dislike to Cips. What Cips needed was Deacon and James as much as anything. He'd have been fine from the start with that combo I'm fairly sure.

FredRBP (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 20:58
Flash Gordon proving he's worth more than his pay packet, RJvR looked outstanding this year

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 21:17
Quote:
Hirdyshark
This guy is an immense player, I was massively impressed with him in super rugby last year. Just an absolute battering ram. To me, this can only be a good thing as RJVR will bring much-needed depth and a bit of dog to the backline. Even if just for 3 months, Jennings will benefit hugely in the long term. If we can bring Mostert into the second row too then the signs look very positive.

Apologies for the ignorance - who is Mostert?

clutch (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 21:19
Wolfgang Amadeus Mostert

FarnhamShark (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 21:30
Quote:
clutch
Wolfgang Amadeus Mostert

Found him on YouTube. Looks like The Barber of Seville could come in handy. Ball in hand he's like a centre, and his lineout steals looked just like Bryn. Yes please!

clutch (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 12:11
when is he available to play? Could he be on the bench on the weekend? Perhaps we can switch to a 5 3 split!

Yareet (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:27
Quote:
FarnhamShark
Quote:
clutch
Wolfgang Amadeus Mostert

Found him on YouTube. Looks like The Barber of Seville could come in handy. Ball in hand he's like a centre, and his lineout steals looked just like Bryn. Yes please!

Looks a little Kruger-esque to me

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Mostert][/url]

Quote:
French Top 14 side Lyon also announced that they signed Mostert from 1 November 2016 onwards (or after the November internationals if he is involved). However, the Ricoh Black Rams then announced that they signed Mostert on a two-year contract, and South African media reported that he will return for the Lions in 2017. In October 2016, with Mostert joining Ricoh Black Rams, Lyon threatened to take legal action against Mostert.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 16:54
clutch, your post was all "well ifs". You cannot deny history.
It is correct to suggest Cips took a year to bed-in : he really didn't really make much difference to our play/results till his second season, partly because of lack of form, partly because he wasn't picked (mostly because he wouldn't adhere to the game plan.)

we will have to see what happens with this new recruit. All I'm suggesting is that bedding-in varies tremendously for each individual for lots of different reasons....we shouldn't assume....

thekeg (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 18:12
Ben Darwin, the former wallaby who now runs an analytics business, suggests it often takes 3 years for a player to reach full potential after they have moved clubs. This sort of short term deal is never ideal but not really sure we have much choice

ale shark (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 21:40
Our short term game plan will be “pass it to the big lad.” I think he’ll fit in fine.

Olyy (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 17:26
He set off from RSA to the UK today, according to his Instagram.
Hopefully see him in training next week and playing the week after grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net