rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

O/T Apple Account Scam - Beware!
Grumpy Old Shark (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 13:19
I received an email that appeared to be an invoice from Apple for subscription to an app service that I hadn't heard of

It was an exact copy of the usual apple invoice but when I clicked on the cancel button, it requested my apple account password

When I entered this, it told me account had been locked and asked for personal details

At that point, the penny dropped....

I am normally ultra suspicious but I got caught by this....

Hopefully I changed the password before any damage has been done....

Re: O/T Apple Account Scam - Beware!
WiganSaler (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 13:54
I got a call the other week from BT Broadband apologising for the poor service and that they needed to remotely access my PC. I let him try to explain the problem he said he knew I had and let him quiz me about different aspects of the service. In the end I couldn't contain myself, I acceped that I did have have a major problem with BT Broadband because I was a Virgin Broadband subscriber...silence and he hung up.

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 14:44
Quote:
WiganSaler
I got a call the other week from BT Broadband apologising for the poor service and that they needed to remotely access my PC. I let him try to explain the problem he said he knew I had and let him quiz me about different aspects of the service. In the end I couldn't contain myself, I acceped that I did have have a major problem with BT Broadband because I was a Virgin Broadband subscriber...silence and he hung up.

To be fair the moment you heard someone purporting to be from BT Broadband apologising you should have known it was a scam!

WiganSaler (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 15:18
(Sm85)

--------------------------------------------------
Wigan "Home for the Bewildered"

Fully paid up member of the LSSSSC.
"Long Suffering Sale Sharks Supporters Club"

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
16 November, 2017 17:27
(Sm6)

yukon (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 06:58
I'ts worth being aware of the scams that are running and especially educating the older generations.

One of my friends is a supermarket manager and he just happened to notice an old lady, in obvious distress buying a huger amount of iTunes vouchers. Long story short, some scumbag pretending to be the Revenue conned her into thinking she had outstanding debt and that she could reduce it in an early payment, by what he said was apple money.
Luckily the plank was traceable via his phone number and he was convicted and imprisoned (she wasn't the first but she was the luckiest).

So tell the old folks, if anyone ever contacts them asking for a payment they don't expect whether by email, text, letter etc., google (or ask a friend to google) a number for the people making the claim independently (ie don't use the contact details on the correspondence), call them and ask for yourself. Chances are, if it's a con, they will be grateful that someone has brought it to their attention.

Also, no one ever asks for money via vouchers, just report it to the police.

If you are contacted on the phone, ask for a reference number, then google the phone number and call them back quoting the reference.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 11:24
That's a tad foolish yukon.
Google is an internet search engine.
The internet is full of mistruths, lies and inaccurate information.
Better to look at a paper record of the company and/or type in the companies web address EXACTLY, then carefully find their contact details, checking the full web address. Or ring them via the helpline number on your last bill.

By way of example: type in "Land Registry" in Google. Until very recently you were presented with a list of several sites which charge you considerably more than the governments site for exactly the same information about a property. They all pretended to be the official portal. After 10 years of thousands of complaints Google eventually did something about it.
Now at least they come up as advertisements for a commercial service but they are still at the top.
i.e. if a scam site takes off IT WILL appear towards the top of an internet search engine's query.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2017 11:34 by H's Dad....

Flumpty (IP Logged)
17 November, 2017 11:39
Quote:
yukon

So tell the old folks, if anyone ever contacts them asking for a payment they don't expect whether by email, text, letter etc., google (or ask a friend to google) a number for the people making the claim independently (ie don't use the contact details on the correspondence), call them and ask for yourself. Chances are, if it's a con, they will be grateful that someone has brought it to their attention.

Someone I know well, is currently helping an elderly relative.
Each day that my friend is at the house, the phone rings with people wanting to (insert scam of choice here). My friend answers, tells that he's not interested and asks that they remove the details from their database and don't call again - to which the elderly relative asks "why have you done that ? I've just won some money on the (insert scam here) and I'm expecting a call to explain what I have to do to get my winnings".

Sadly, once my friend leaves the house, the elderly relative will answer the phone and talk to "the nice people about his good fortune".

Plus the scam mail that comes on a daily basis.

Very, very, very frustrating***

*** there is more to this story, but I can'[t share it on a public forum.

iBozz (IP Logged)
18 November, 2017 13:20
This may be of interest for those with friends or relatives with dementia or similar conditions and who might thus be more at risk for scams:

Friends Against Scams Call Blocker at https://www.friendsagainstscams.org.uk/callblocker. Also a useful site for other related information.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

yukon (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 06:03
Quote:
H's Dad...
That's a tad foolish yukon.
Google is an internet search engine.
The internet is full of mistruths, lies and inaccurate information.
Better to look at a paper record of the company and/or type in the companies web address EXACTLY, then carefully find their contact details, checking the full web address. Or ring them via the helpline number on your last bill.

By way of example: type in "Land Registry" in Google. Until very recently you were presented with a list of several sites which charge you considerably more than the governments site for exactly the same information about a property. They all pretended to be the official portal. After 10 years of thousands of complaints Google eventually did something about it.
Now at least they come up as advertisements for a commercial service but they are still at the top.
i.e. if a scam site takes off IT WILL appear towards the top of an internet search engine's query.

The point is, you varify the contact details yourself. If you go to a .com you’re golden.

You choice of the word “foolish” is unfortunate at best, plain rude at worst.

iBozz (IP Logged)
20 November, 2017 10:35
Whether H's D's words are unfortunate or rude (I think them to be neither in the context) the point is that the internet is awash with false information, fake websites, misleading and disguised links, etc. etc.

On a slightly different tack, I used to prepare questions for a regular quiz. Whilst researching questions and answers I never took an answer as being correct unless confirmed by three separate sites using more than one search engine (I never use Google to search myself, but that's another story) and even then I was suspicious!

You only have to look at the number of sites stating that there are 11 million bricks in Stockport Railway Viaduct to realise just how many sites repeat incorrect information. If you want to know how many there are, nobody knows. There are 11 million in the first build and, although there seems no evidence still extant, there must be approximately the same number or thereabouts in the later extension. Even the SMBC's Blue Plaque on the viaduct itself promulgates the incorrect figure!

Quote:
yukon
I'ts worth being aware of the scams that are running and especially educating the older generations.

By 'eckythump my fingers are hovering over the <ed>red button</ed>! Not all we, ahem, shall we say more mature and seasoned denizens of the interwebbynettythingy are old, gaga and doddery (I can't speak for H's D). I am, I agree, but there are some of my era who still have some of their own teeth and can last for several minutes before being woken by our Carers. Have a care, young whippersnapper, or we'll hack your shins with our zimmer frames.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

H's Dad... (IP Logged)
21 November, 2017 16:03
yukon might i respectfully draw your attention to the definition of " a tad" being "to a small extent", or "somewhat".
It was used only in relation to relying on the internet via Google.
By all means think it wise to rely on Google and the internet if you wish, but on refelction do you not feel that advice somewhat unwise?
My example being a case in point.
Are you aware that Google gives slightly different answers to the same query when done on different personal computers? It moulds/filters it's answers in attempting to interpet your query, based on your browsing history.

However we can agree that looking carefully at the full page address is, as you expertly assert, an excellent piece of advice.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/11/2017 16:05 by H's Dad....

Gandalfzz (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 12:25
Easy way to expose scams, hoaxes etc is to visit hoax-slayer.net -----

Another way--- just type in your PC address bar search -- hoax and a few words to identify the offer/scam. I typed---- hoax apple account

One other thing is NEVER EVER phone anyone back as it probably a high cost call charge, especially so if its an 09 number.

Edited to clarify 2 points

I am anyones equal, but no ones superior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/11/2017 19:24 by Gandalfzz.

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
22 November, 2017 15:45
Quote:
Gandalfzz
One other thing is NEVER EVER phone anyone back as it probably a high cost call charge

Excellent point. I recently had a missed call from an 07 number on my mobile. I phoned it back and got a recorded message about the accident I had supposedly been involved in. Hung up after about 10 seconds and Vodafone charged me £1.50 for the privilege!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net