rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Launchbury turns Sharks down.....
05 December, 2017 14:00
....despite being offered £400,000+ and a leadership role at Sale Sharks.

Re-signs for Wasps - once a Wasp etc. etc.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 14:02 by Mrs Trellis of North Wales.

Re: Launchbury turns Sharks down.....
MartWhit (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 14:06
surely he wasn't offered 400k and a leadership role because it isnt 1st Jan yet?

As usual, Dimes isnt aware of any contact being made.

clutch (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 14:40
Depends on what calendar you use I guess.

thekeg (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:11
400k doesn’t seem like a ludicrously high offer for a captain of his current club and regular England international. I don’t imagine his current wasps deal/new offer s that much less and they have the bonus of almost certainly finishing top 6 this year

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:36
My memory could be playing tricks on me, but I'm pretty sure that when Charlie last renewed with us (2007 for 3 years?) a figure of £350k was published.

HaleShark (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 18:21
Mmmm, that a shame. Even £400K and the captaincy couldn't tempt him but if Wasps offered similar then you have to ask why would he consider moving from a team better placed to finish in the top 4.

Rob Miller and Tom Cruise have agreed new deals too.

I'd still like to see Tommy Taylor return, I was bitterly disappointed when he left.

Crutch (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 18:53
I see that Stooke has extended at Bath too.

clutch (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 21:49
Can't we find an enormous Cumbrian farmer and get him in the Academy. Our production line of second rows isn't great. And the good ones end up at no 8!!!

Flumpty (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 09:35
Quote:
clutch
Can't we find an enormous Cumbrian farmer and get him in the Academy. Our production line of second rows isn't great. And the good ones end up at no 8!!!

I think that the last "made in Cumbria" is Will Addison (imports via Sedbergh School don't count (Sm100))
Sadly, any identified talent on the DPP pathway is now routed to the Budgies, as Cumbria is Budgieland.

ale shark (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 10:03
I'm 6ft 5, will weigh about 20 stone after Christmas, went to Sedbergh and my parents live on a farm in Cumbria. Unfortunately I'm 39 but give me a year and £400k and I'll see what I can do.

clutch (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 11:03
How old was Hines. Can we negotiate on the wage?

06 December, 2017 11:03
Drop off a couple of 0's and the k.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4248/34452231260_b77f3695e4_t.jpg
Dis mus be da place

Flumpty (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 11:07
Quote:
ale shark
I'm 6ft 5, will weigh about 20 stone after Christmas, went to Sedbergh and my parents live on a farm in Cumbria. Unfortunately I'm 39 but give me a year and £400k and I'll see what I can do.

I'll counter your offer with the following :-

I'm 6ft 3" & 17 st (before Christmas), Cumbria born and bred (strong in the arm, thick in the head (Sm137)) and drive past several farms each day.
My most recent playing experience was as (now much prized) TightHead prop. I'll happily do the job for £395000 pa . I think that age is an invisible barrier and being 50 shouldn't be an issue. Likewise, the world of medicine is marvellous and I'm sure that Sale would be able to sort some new knees for me, to overcome the (minor) issues of arthritis, worn cartlige and ligament damage.

If Sale could deposit my first salary payment into my account this week, I'll be available from Sat 16th onwards (this Saturday is M&J day at the Club and I've already paid my money for a meal)

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 12:42
As I'm only 9 stone I suppose I'd have to settle for £200k, but I'd be happy with that as a supplement to my State Pension!

I'd be easy to lift in the lineout too. Just put me down gently!

Timpers (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 17:15
Every mornin' at the mine you could see him arrive
He stood six-foot-six and weighed two-forty-five
Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
And everybody knew ya didn't give no lip to big John
Big Bad John

jamestaylorreturns (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 19:07
...excellent Timpers; and who sang it?

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 20:47
Quote:
jamestaylorreturns
...excellent Timpers; and who sang it?

Jimmy Dean.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 20:54
I'd pay a fair sum to have Iain Henderson in my team.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
15 December, 2017 21:13
Quote:
MartWhit
I'd pay a fair sum to have Iain Henderson in my team.

With allowances for him to join up with Ireland squads 2 weeks ahead of 6 nations etc, we could get him and enable him to remain viable for Ireland selection.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 22:19
Banahan is reportedly leaving Bath at the end of the season.

I'm willing to be unpopular and say he'd be an excellent addition to our squad. I dont think RJVR will sign long term, Leota is past his prime and non EQP, Addison needs to focus on playng in the back 3. In that regard he'd be an excellent addition to our resources in the centre. He is a superb offloader and the kind of guy thay could add a point of difference for us.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 22:53
There was a story about Banahan on twitter a few weeks back, with most people expressing incredulity that Bath weren’t offering him a new/decent contract.

I think he’d be a very good addition to the squad.

getagripref (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 07:06
I've been told he's on his way to Glawster!

Flumpty (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 09:05
Quote:
MartWhit
Banahan is reportedly leaving Bath at the end of the season.
I'm willing to be unpopular and say he'd be an excellent addition to our squad.

He's a player that in the past few years has won me over.***
I'm maybe also a bit biased that when we beat them at the end of last season (despite being very disappointed at missing out on a Top 4 place),he still took the time to talk to the Bath fans at the end of the game AND any Sale fans who wanted a chat.
& yes, it does still grate with me that at the time, win lose or draw our lot skulked off the pitch without acknowledging the supporters.

*** a few years ago I was a works event where I shared a table with a chap, who's son played Minis rugby for Bath Minis. His favourite "coach" was the Bananaman, who gave up some of his Sunday mornings, to lend a hand with the little'uns.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 10:02
MartWhit. Why would your sensible and well reasoned comment be unpopular?

Crutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 10:57
Because a lot of people think banana man is rubbish for some reason

I certainly think he'd add something to the squad.

Martwhit - my only point would be that you want Will to be back 3, and presumably JoC also (or would you have him at 13 if Will in back 3?) and then we've got far too many options there.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 11:30
It's great to have options. I wouldn't play Addison at centre. Too many arguments against it for me. The most important being you need continuity and a partnership at centre which is difficult when our first choice centre plays half the season. All depends on how brutal you are when assessing the ability of our younger players.

ale shark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 19:30
Might be controversial around here but surely we’re getting to the point where we cut our loses with Addison. He’s been here 7 years, is available for only about half of the games and no one seems to know his best position. It’s brutal but might the money be better spent elsewhere? Maybe a change would do him good like it has done for other injury prone players. Only one year into a three-year contract though.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 20:11
Controversial but I was going to post something similar. It pains me to say it but maybe it would be good for him to get a fresh start as well.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 20:45
we do have too much resource spent in the back 3, and theres no recognisable pecking order.

Its partly why I was so against signing yarde.

FWIW, a squad needs a minimum of 5 back 3 players, and no more than 6 unless its an area heavily depleted by international callups. Partnerships are important to develop fluidity in the defensive pendulum and the counter attack. You can't chop and change too much and achieve that.

So how would you rank our back 3 resources. For me:
1) Solomona
2) McGuigan
3) Addison
4) O Connor
5) Haley
6) Yarde
7) Odogwu
8) Charnley

Addison, when fit, is every bit as cutting edge as Denny or Byron, and we've missed him a lot lately. Charley will leave shortly. Odogwu can perhaps be persuaded to be patient in the Jets or dual registered a little longer.

clutch (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 21:26
I could debate the order but your point is a fair one.

thekeg (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 22:09
But.....sounds like the bottom one might be off, plus Addison and o’connor have been primarily used elsewhere

Mcguigan I the form of his career but I think typically he’d be further down the list.

Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 22:38
Edwards, when/if he returns, should be added to that list.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 12:19
Even if you consider JOC & Addison in their other position, the fact remains they are not just competitive, but probably superior to several, for a place in the back 3 if required.

So given that you have that kind of cover in the squad, how many core back 3 players is ideal?

How many can we afford before we are unable to finance much more needed cover elsewhere?

thekeg (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 12:41
Quote:
Irish_Shark
Edwards, when/if he returns, should be added to that list.

Isn’t he out of contract?

clutch (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 12:42
I refuse to believe Diamond is daft enough to accidentally blow so much of the budget that we can't afford to sign a beast prop and second row.

Edwards will leave at the end of the year I assume.

MartWhit (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 13:09
I also refuse to believe Diamond is that daft.

But here we are mid season, still without a reserve loose head or 'world class' lock. Yet we've signed a winger and cant get all our premiership quality talent there into the matchday squad. The evidence refutes us Clutch.

Lack or money?
lack of talent willing to come?
Lack of effort to find tight 5 forwards?

I really dont know.

ale shark (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 14:05
4. Lack of tight 5 forwards looking for new clubs who fall into a suitable talent category to satisfy this message board.

23Shark (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 14:18
Diamond said himself that he wasn't looking to sign a winger however when a player like Yarde becomes available you don't pass up the opportunity to sign him

clutch (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 17:45
Circumstantial without seeing the total wage bill.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 19:08
Quote:
23Shark
Diamond said himself that he wasn't looking to sign a winger however when a player like Yarde becomes available you don't pass up the opportunity to sign him

Yep, and as has also been reported on here some weeks back, the desire for a lock is only to the extent that it is the absolute right signing, something that needs the context of not blocking Nott and Postlethwaite progressing at the right pace.

clutch (IP Logged)
18 December, 2017 19:15
Exactly. Otherwise Lou Read would be on the bench instead of Nott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net