rugbyunion
Latest News:

Opinions expressed on this message board are solely those of the individual author. No endorsement of such opinions by the editors, Sportnetwork or Sale Sharks can or should be inferred.

Ring-fencing?
ageinghoody (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 12:45
RFU considers scrapping promotion and relegation for Premiership

[www.theguardian.com]

Re: Ring-fencing?
LJK (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 13:19
It is clear the RFU are putting all the options 'out there' to gauge reaction, if they are now saying there is unlikely to be a final decision until next Spring. To me the obvious thing to reduce the games tally, is to chop the AW cup, and let the younger players develop in the A league. As I recall the AW was set up to avoid AP games during the Autumn Internationals and 6N, but this year at least, the weekends for the AW seem to have got out of kilter with the Internationals?

franknfurter (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 06:37
Personally speaking, I think that the AW Cup should be scrapped. I can't see any 'real' benefit other than blooding youngsters/returning injured.

The free weekend could be used to rest players not on international duty.

As far as ring-fencing goes, no problem with reducing the AP to 10 teams, again, player welfare would benefit even though revenue would suffer.

BUT

No ring-fence. Again, personally speaking, I would like to see 3 down and 3 up.
No playoffs - straight forward relegation/promotion.

In the likelihood of a promoted teams ground not being "up to standard", a 2 year period from date of promotion is granted to come into line or it's back from whence you came.

Yareet (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 12:07
Quote:
franknfurter
As far as ring-fencing goes, no problem with reducing the AP to 10 teams, again, player welfare would benefit even though revenue would suffer.

BUT

No ring-fence. Again, personally speaking, I would like to see 3 down and 3 up.
No playoffs - straight forward relegation/promotion.

In the likelihood of a promoted teams ground not being "up to standard", a 2 year period from date of promotion is granted to come into line or it's back from whence you came.

Iím intrigued why 3 down/up.

In the current format of the league, thatís a quarter of the league changing each season which feels excessive to me.

If, as you suggest, the league also shrinks to 10 teams, that is (essentially) the bottom 30% of the league getting relegated.

I feel you should be safe if youíre if youíre in the top 71% of the league.

shaftesbury shark (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 13:39
Agree, I think 3 up/down is too much change each season.

I like something similar to the RL way to do this - perhaps 1 team up/down and a play off match to decide the other.

Or maybe just 1 up/down is enough.

If the 1st div is reduced in number to 10 it could make the 2nd tier a lot more competitive and interesting to watch, perhaps that level could support more fully professional teams, especially with more fair funding from the governing bodies, increased sponsorship and TV money?

Hookers (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 13:43
Why not remove the AW from the main calendar and make it a development tournament?

Yareet (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 15:14
Quote:
Hookers
Why not remove the AW from the main calendar and make it a development tournament?

Given the results, Iíd suggest that the Welsh seem not to be taking it too seriously. Thereís no longer a Champions Cup place at stake so it no longer seems to serve any purpose that the A league couldnít.

Pappje Shark (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 23:53
Isn't it more that the likes of Quins, Saints and Exeter are taking it overly seriously and playing strong squads, rather then the youth developement option that most others use it for?

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 10:40
Quote:
Pappje Shark
Isn't it more that the likes of Quins, Saints and Exeter are taking it overly seriously and playing strong squads, rather then the youth developement option that most others use it for?

Certainly not true in the case of Quins this season.

franknfurter (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:59
I thought long and hard about the number of teams relegated and decided on 3.

Realistically over a season, probably only 50% of teams would be "safe".

It would make for an intense season where it really isn't over "until the fat lady sings".

But why playoffs?
A team has a season to "get it right" why afford anyone the lifeline of a second chance playoff match(s)?

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 01:14
Quote:
Pappje Shark
It surely is up to each team to decide what type of team it wants to put out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 01:26 by DaveAitch.

ageinghoody (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 08:45
Quote:
DaveAitch

I can't remember the exact wording, but Isn't there a requirement to select your strongest available team "subject to the requirements of rest and rotation", or something in that vein?

Yareet (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 15:52
Quote:
franknfurter
I thought long and hard about the number of teams relegated and decided on 3.
Realistically over a season, probably only 50% of teams would be "safe".

It would make for an intense season where it really isn't over "until the fat lady sings".

But why playoffs?
A team has a season to "get it right" why afford anyone the lifeline of a second chance playoff match(s)?

The previous argument has been that relegation leads to too much negative rugby? Itís an all or nothing situation if the top 6 go in the champions cup, 7th goes in the challenge cup and the other 3 are relegated.

Thereíd be too much emphasis on not dropping out of the league even into April. I canít see that leading to anything other than trying not to lose.

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:12
Quote:
ageinghoody
Quote:
DaveAitch

I can't remember the exact wording, but Isn't there a requirement to select your strongest available team "subject to the requirements of rest and rotation", or something in that vein?
I suspect you are correct, ageing. The same certainly was said to be the case in football but all the star players seemed to be injured or rested for matches that 'didn't really matter' and the rule rather fell apart (otherwise Manchester United would been upset - but not half as much as losing 1-2 to City).

Negative rugby is within certain coaches and players.

clutch (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:25
You have to open have play offs. Otherwise teams with multi internationals get unfairly punished.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net